CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
U-Dub Gamecock
taylorssc
Outland
Latt7more
b381l
WeStillOwnUSC
Grit_And_Steel
gadeneer1986
ReadR00ster
Does South Carolina (1640)
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Incoming Class (915)
Rest of the season p (892)
Let us clarify some (736)
Tennessee kickoff an (653)
Tennessee Game Time (646)
Bruce Ellington's Fi (626)
Just thought of some (538)
Is Clowney back toni (509)
2014 Garnet and Black Wor
Peyton Manning breaks Bre
Why is everyone anticipat
Miss St. defense
To ANYONE complaining abo
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Let us clarify some thing
How do you want Auburn to
Bruce Ellington's First T
Official NHL 2014-2015 Se

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #61
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2015 - Ty'Son Williams

Ugh not good news to hear about. Losing Jay Graham hurt a few years ago. I think all of our coaches are pretty good except for Sands and Robinson.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #62
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Ugh not good news to hear about. Losing Jay Graham hurt a few years ago. I think all of our coaches are pretty good except for Sands and Robinson.
I think Sands is good from a coaching standpoint, but to say his recruiting leaves a lot to be desired would be a compliment.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #63
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Which is a problem. Whether DS was a true RB or just a utility back, he would have helped with depth in 2015. As it turns out, we miss out on him after having a HUGE lead and now Williams (among other RBs this class) appears to be questionable at best. What's worse is Williams is an in-state guy, and a month ago we had a rather sizeable lead.

I just don't understand how this continues to happen. If we miss out on Williams and our other top RB targets this cycle, I can't wait to hear what the apologists have to say about that.
I was one of the guys that said I didn't think DS was ever going to be a every down back for us. I'm not sure that makes me an apologist. If we don't land a good back in this class, then I'm looking straight at Sands and blaming him. We're getting good players at every position now.....there's no excuse for us not to get a quality RB each year......I'm not talking about a 175 lb scat back.....I'm talking about a back that is big enough and durable enough to get 20 carries every game. If we miss on a RB this year, we better beg Wilds and Carson to stay through 2015 because David Williams won't be able to do it by himself. If we can't run, we become one dimensional and we'll have little chance to beat good teams that way. There's a reason all good teams can run.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #64
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I was one of the guys that said I didn't think DS was ever going to be a every down back for us. I'm not sure that makes me an apologist. If we don't land a good back in this class, then I'm looking straight at Sands and blaming him. We're getting good players at every position now.....there's no excuse for us not to get a quality RB each year......I'm not talking about a 175 lb scat back.....I'm talking about a back that is big enough and durable enough to get 20 carries every game. If we miss on a RB this year, we better beg Wilds and Carson to stay through 2015 because David Williams won't be able to do it by himself. If we can't run, we become one dimensional and we'll have little chance to beat good teams that way. There's a reason all good teams can run.
Every down back or not, he helps with depth in 2015, which as it stands right now could essentially be non-existent. For the record, I'm not talking about a 175 pound back either. I'm talking about a true RB, such as Williams or Scarlett, but as it stands right now we could miss out on both. Not signing a RB for two straight classes is inexcusable and unacceptable.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #65
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

I thought one of the primary skills our RB coach was supposed to bring to the staff was his recruiting skills. This is definitely concerning....
Old 06-02-2014, 11:55 PM   #66
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Well there's two trains of thought here.....there is the same poster on GCC that posted a couple of days ago that is close to the situation that now guarantees TW will not be a Gamecock for reasons given in several posts above......then there's Chris Clark that says TW has a top 3 that are tied....ND, Wisconsin and Carolina. So take your pick.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #67
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
I thought one of the primary skills our RB coach was supposed to bring to the staff was his recruiting skills. This is definitely concerning....
I've read the insiders that know him say he is a good coach but not a good recruiter.....
Old 06-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #68
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Says ND leads & I'll take him at his word. That said, I'll believe he ends up at ND the day he enrolls or signs & not one day before that. South Bend is a less than appealing place to live & a long way from Sumter, SC.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #69
davisd9
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 375
davisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudly

Military kid so I doubt distance is a huge factor for him.

Sent from the Strut Zone
Old 06-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #70
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Sounds good...maybe we can do some recruiting magic....
Old 06-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #71
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
This comment along with the recent Fla firing of Joker leads me to the following ?s:
staff turnover, be it they leave us, or we give them leave, is not if but when.
Does anyone consider possible circumstance where SS rehires a former staff member ( this presumes SS doesn't feel said staff "betrayed" him or anything of that nature)? If no why?
If yes then under what criteria do we rehire coach A or do we not consider rehiring coach B?
Given former staff are, for the most part, known material...ie coaches this or that well but not the other, is great, good, ordinary, poor, terrible recruiter, what regions he works best etc. etc. What criteria do you think would most likely lead to a rehire or not?
Specifically who do you think SS might consider rehiring ie. Joker, Graham etc.? thanks WVP
Old 06-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #72
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by boness View Post
This comment along with the recent Fla firing of Joker leads me to the following ?s:
staff turnover, be it they leave us, or we give them leave, is not if but when.
Does anyone consider possible circumstance where SS rehires a former staff member ( this presumes SS doesn't feel said staff "betrayed" him or anything of that nature)? If no why?
If yes then under what criteria do we rehire coach A or do we not consider rehiring coach B?
Given former staff are, for the most part, known material...ie coaches this or that well but not the other, is great, good, ordinary, poor, terrible recruiter, what regions he works best etc. etc. What criteria do you think would most likely lead to a rehire or not?
Specifically who do you think SS might consider rehiring ie. Joker, Graham etc.? thanks WVP
Did Joker ever work for Spurrier before?
Old 06-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #73
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
No. Joker worked under Holtz at USC.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #74
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

IMO, this is USC's last shot.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 06-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #75
boowilliam4
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by boness View Post
We are JUST getting off probation and Joker JUST gets busted for a recruiting violation. Snowball's chance in hell that he ends up back here anytime in the near future.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:36 PM   #76
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:
i stand corrected as I believe he predated SS. Still my ? isa not specific to him but includes any and all prev hires. Intending former SS staff but if former SC staff is considered so be it.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #77
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
IMO, this is USC's last shot.
In that case, let's hope we impress. Really need this one.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #78
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

Described his visit as "real good."
Old 06-20-2014, 09:45 PM   #79
boowilliam4
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talons

I'm curious to see how this all works out. Bradrick Shaw and Williams both have good visits this week. Jordan Scarlett seems seriously interested in checking out the gamecocks as well. Last but not least we also have AJ Turner who has 100% CB picks to the gamecocks at the moment. How do ya'll see this playing out?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #80
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowilliam4 View Post
I'm curious to see how this all works out. Bradrick Shaw and Williams both have good visits this week. Jordan Scarlett seems seriously interested in checking out the gamecocks as well. Last but not least we also have AJ Turner who has 100% CB picks to the gamecocks at the moment. How do ya'll see this playing out?
This doesn't really answer your question in terms of how I see it playing out, but I would be happy with any two of those, although it looks like Turner will be a Gamecock as things stand now.
Closed Thread