CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Order 66
johnnyb
taylorssc
l^l^lBGCock
doubledribble
NAGamecockFan
GarnetSwarm1990
ChickenButt
Gamecocks321
So Disappointed With (2938)
No Comments on the H (915)
Google finally gets (471)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (251)
Call of Duty: Advanc (243)
Gameday parking in A (184)
Vote For Cocky (132)
Things They Should H (107)
Keeping tailgate foo (80)
Freshman ND WR " (58)
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
So Disappointed With The
Texas athletic director:
BAW
Call of Duty: Advanced Wa
The Gator Bowl wants us!
2014-15 Premier League se
No Comments on the Holes?
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Which loss hurt worse, Mi

Old 06-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #61
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material
Default Re: Slive Threatens with Forming Division IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
Worship?

So expecting student athletes to be given the same right as every other adult in this country amounts to "worship?"

You, sir, are an idiot.
I guess the idea of amateur athletics is beyond your tiny mind to fathom, no one is forcing these adults to sign their rights away they choose to. The $40k year free education is only a portion of the perks of being a STUDENT-athlete, you leave out the fact they get world class strength, condition, and nutrition training, the travel costs, etc now since you want to pay them how about then the student athlete pays for their travel costs, you don't like that do you? Let them unionize make them pay their union dues, they get hurt they pay for the surgery and treatments. In your case since you never done college sports the concept of student-athlete is beyond your comprehension.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #62
ElectricCock
Fear The Thumb, Clemson

Male

CockyCash: 200516
ElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot material

I got a stipend from scholarship excess, and also played musical gigs for cash when I was in school (which would be illegal for football players)... I couldn't have worked a job due to my academic obligations, but having an extra $2,000 a semester in stipend money really went a long way. Student-athletes probably work harder (definitely longer hours) than I did as an undergrad, and I am currently a medical student. Anyone who doesn't think that student athletes deserve a stipend are probably former athletes at smaller schools who are butthurt they didn't get anything.

As an aside, Dabo Swinney is against stipends and says a college education is plenty of payment.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #63
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
^Yeah a $40,000 a year free ride education isn't enough or in the case of Northwestern $63,000 a year tuition. But most the half literate babies can't comprehend they are getting a world class education that their intelligence level doesn't deserve. They are getting a chance to get out of these bad neighborhoods with an education if they can't respect or understand that they just should passed over for someone who actually wants to better themselves.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #64
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Quote:
I guess the idea of amateur athletics is beyond your tiny mind to fathom, no one is forcing these adults to sign their rights away they choose to. The $40k year free education is only a portion of the perks of being a STUDENT-athlete, you leave out the fact they get world class strength, condition, and nutrition training, the travel costs, etc now since you want to pay them how about then the student athlete pays for their travel costs, you don't like that do you? Let them unionize make them pay their union dues, they get hurt they pay for the surgery and treatments. In your case since you never done college sports the concept of student-athlete is beyond your comprehension.

I bet your "tiny mind" doesn't even know the origin of the concept of "amateurism"

Psst...it's not inherently virtuous, as you seem to imply.

Remember when everyone freaked out at the idea of the Olympics allowing professionals?
"ZOMG NOOO! It will ruin the games!"

And they're still going...the world didn't end. Whaddya know.
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #65
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Came into this thread hoping for some entertainment and was not disappointed.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #66
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Maybe they should bring in someone with integrity to oversee the proposals. Someone above reproach. Maybe someone like Tim Tebow. That would work.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #67
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
Unlike student athletes, she was allowed to get a job, even though she was on a full scholarship.
But she didn't get all the "perks" like free off season workouts, runs at 5 AM, free strength and conditioning year round, free 2 hour practices almost every day during spring and season including some glorious 2-a-days in the nice warm sunshine.
I'm sure she would have traded that job and the $$ for the life of a football player any day!
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #68
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalrush24 View Post
Came into this thread hoping for some entertainment and was not disappointed.
Somehow that signature picture of your's almost seems relevant.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #69
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

In full support of this.
This is how the NCAA will change...their big money makers have to flex the muscle, and things will change.

As they say, Money talks.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #70
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

I think you guys are missing something.

Sports is a bubble right now. Pro teams, the amount of money paid to college conferences.

The good times are going to last forever eh?

Look there has been one big thing driving this insanity the past few decades. The willingness of broadcasters, and mainly the cable broadcasters to pay insane money to the NFL, the NBA, and well the SEC/Big10/Whathaveyou for broadcast rights.

I think that cable companies actual force people to pay for content (the NFL, etc) that they would not if it were an optional addition to a cable bill. In effect they tax non-sports watchers so they can acquire content to attract sports watchers.

Cable companies are under pressure from the internet, and the fact that increasingly people are dumping cable because they don't want to pay for all the crap they never watch.

One day a major sports league (or college conference) is going to put their viewing rights up for bid. And there will be no bidders, or only bidders at a reduced price from the last time they went up for auction.

And then we will have a new world. I might add that if budgets get much tighter with municipalities, we might have more cities that grow a pair and tell team owners "Oh yeah? Well just leave then. We aren't subsidizing your team's profits with public money, no matter what other idiot cities decide to. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out chief."
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #71
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCock View Post
As an aside, Dabo Swinney is against stipends and says a college education is plenty of payment.
Personally, I think he should ask for a refund....

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #72
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

link lost
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

Last edited by CockyLifer; 08-09-2014 at 04:20 PM.
CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #73
Woody7687
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Woody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
It's the truth regardless if you believe it or not. But when you hear the worship of college players this naivety doesn't shock me.

You are the reason this country is what it is and my generation will have to pay for it. SS will be broke, your ass will be old an dilapidated and I the young tax payer will pay for that. We are paying for the sins of our fathers now. So enough with the entitlement generation bull crap. Good for you that you slaved in college to go in the Air Force a govt job paid for by us young tax payers. I'm sure you are going to retire with your big fluffy govt pension too huh. Don't give me that bull crap. You are the biggest whiner I have ever seen, just because my generation didn't walk uphill both ways to school doesn't make you superior. Get over yourself. Geez
Old 06-03-2014, 04:23 AM   #74
Birdwatcher
Recruit

CockyCash: 200
Birdwatcher has earned his spursBirdwatcher has earned his spursBirdwatcher has earned his spursBirdwatcher has earned his spursBirdwatcher has earned his spursBirdwatcher has earned his spursBirdwatcher has earned his spurs

Quote:
But most the half literate babies can't comprehend they are getting a world class education that their intelligence level doesn't deserve.
Maybe G-d can ask THIS guy for mercy.

After all, he holds the key to all of the answers as well as judgement capabilities.

Messy job but somebody has to do it.
Birdwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:16 AM   #75
TucockShakur
Walk On

Male

TucockShakur is developing his combTucockShakur is developing his combTucockShakur is developing his combTucockShakur is developing his combTucockShakur is developing his combTucockShakur is developing his combTucockShakur is developing his combTucockShakur is developing his combTucockShakur is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody7687 View Post
You are the reason this country is what it is and my generation will have to pay for it. SS will be broke, your ass will be old an dilapidated and I the young tax payer will pay for that. We are paying for the sins of our fathers now. So enough with the entitlement generation bull crap. Good for you that you slaved in college to go in the Air Force a govt job paid for by us young tax payers. I'm sure you are going to retire with your big fluffy govt pension too huh. Don't give me that bull crap. You are the biggest whiner I have ever seen, just because my generation didn't walk uphill both ways to school doesn't make you superior. Get over yourself. Geez
He's not that old, he's still in his twenties. He's only talking big. He may have been in the reserves, but he's currently just a part time lawn-mower.
TucockShakur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #76
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

INDIANAPOLIS -- The power conferences in major college sports just got more powerful -- maybe a lot more so.
The NCAA Division I board of directors on Thursday voted 16-2 to allow the schools in the top five conferences to write many of their own rules. The autonomy measures -- which the power conferences had all but demanded -- will permit those leagues to decide on things such as cost-of-attendance stipends and insurance benefits for players, staff sizes, recruiting rules and mandatory hours spent on individual sports.
"This keeps Division I together," board chairman and Wake Forest president Nathan Hatch said. "I'm thrilled that Division I and all its virtues can be maintained, and I think this is the pathway to do so."

South Carolina president Harris Pastides said he'd like to see new rules limiting contact in football practice and lessening practice hours in all sports. But he's not sure all his colleagues will always see eye-to-eye.
"I think that's where the rubber meets the road, quite frankly," he said. "I can't wait to be part of those deliberations. It won't be easy to reach agreement on everything."
But the most powerful schools in Division I now have a chance to figure things out for themselves and potentially give more back to their players. That's why Emmert called it "a big, important day."
"In the end, everyone recognized this was something very good for Division I," he said. "From my point of view, this is a wonderful development."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...er-conferences
Travelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #77
highstick
Recruit

Male

highstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurs

True, True, and True! If you think Johnny Swofford protects the Holes right now, just wait! They might even start beating Clempson if that happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
The NCAA has done a terrible job. That being said, I would be very cautious of stepping out from under that umbrella. The NCAA is the punishing body, not fellow schools.

Presumably, if Division IV is created, the schools will be responsible for enforcing and punishing themselves. If you think cheating is rampant now, just wait. The ACC isn't going to punish a fellow school if it thinks it will put that school at a disadvantage and so forth. It could be the Wild Wild West.

The only way to make that work is to appoint an independent, third party organization to handle compliance and enforcement. Then you are back to the NCAA.
highstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #78
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

I think this is just delaying the inevitable. There's no way that D1 can stay together. There hasn't been a level playing field for some time. Trying to act like Nevada and 'Bama operate on the same playing field is foolish.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #79
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Universities and appearently the student athletes will be subject to taxes, so go ahead and break away and form your unions and get slapped with taxes and union fees. These geniuses will be crawling back on their stomach begging forgiveness from the NCAA. Like Dabo said not considering a college education as proper compensation devalues a college education.
If the NCAA can get tax exemption, the power 5 can create their own governing body and do the same.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #80
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
INDIANAPOLIS -- The power conferences in major college sports just got more powerful -- maybe a lot more so.
The NCAA Division I board of directors on Thursday voted 16-2 to allow the schools in the top five conferences to write many of their own rules. The autonomy measures -- which the power conferences had all but demanded -- will permit those leagues to decide on things such as cost-of-attendance stipends and insurance benefits for players, staff sizes, recruiting rules and mandatory hours spent on individual sports.
"This keeps Division I together," board chairman and Wake Forest president Nathan Hatch said. "I'm thrilled that Division I and all its virtues can be maintained, and I think this is the pathway to do so."

South Carolina president Harris Pastides said he'd like to see new rules limiting contact in football practice and lessening practice hours in all sports. But he's not sure all his colleagues will always see eye-to-eye.
"I think that's where the rubber meets the road, quite frankly," he said. "I can't wait to be part of those deliberations. It won't be easy to reach agreement on everything."
But the most powerful schools in Division I now have a chance to figure things out for themselves and potentially give more back to their players. That's why Emmert called it "a big, important day."
"In the end, everyone recognized this was something very good for Division I," he said. "From my point of view, this is a wonderful development."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...er-conferences
Holy $hit that is HUGE!!!
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote