CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Spurticus
Acockolypse Now
Gamecocks1137
MisterClowney
gamecockgal
spareparts
jrussjr
B-G
MEL
Ace suspended 4 game (2047)
Top 10 Reasons Why T (1781)
watching the Alabama (550)
Da'Quan Bowers had a (428)
A good friend of min (380)
Sidney Rice Retiring (374)
Dan Patrick Show - P (319)
ESPN Insider (296)
Phil Steele's Colleg (202)
Pictures of older Co (153)
Places to eat in Conway?
Sidney Rice Retiring From
2015 - Johnny Frasier
Ace suspended 4 games
Bonefish Grill
Gamecock Showcase Attende
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 - Christian Pellage
FAIRGROUNDS PARKING GREEN
Tenn vs WVU in Charlotte

Old 06-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #21
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material
Default Re: Kane Whitehurst's role in 2014

Heisman.

Oh, you said educated.

I'll get back to you on that. Not really sure yet.. I overestimated his production last season and I feel I would do the same this time around.

Follow Gamecockology on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
MisterClowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #22
sunbeam
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
sunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his comb

We'll see when fall comes. The kid has tools, his size is about middle of the pack for our receivers as well.

Not sure how to put this the right way, but Shaq Roland just never seems to get untracked. Every year people talk a lot about him, and every year it seems to be something else, or he just kind of disappears for long stretches of games.

Besides it's unclear to me what magic set of tools he has to be awesome at that position. It's not burner speed. It's not Alshon hands and size. He doesn't run routes like Biletnikoff. He doesn't have Sidney Rice's magical body control and hands.

That said I am expecting the top receivers this year to be Byrd, Jones, and Cooper. Shaq will get his chances, and this may be his breakout year. We'll see.

Whitehurst, Shamier and the rest will get some chances this year. I am curious to see what they do with it. Whitehurst definitely has some tools, but he has missed both spring practices now, and he seems to lack sure hands from what I've seen.

I think Shamier is a really interesting player. He has the body. He makes individual plays that look like he deserves to play a lot. Then he makes a bad drop. This might be his last go round, I hope he puts it together.

Samuel, or even Googer from the freshmen might break into the rotation. Googer in particular might be the big wide out we have been needing since Alshon left. But while this only a hunch, I think Samuel is going to be another player like Cooper, just too good to wait until he learns the playbook to get him on the field.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #23
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
We'll see when fall comes. The kid has tools, his size is about middle of the pack for our receivers as well.

Not sure how to put this the right way, but Shaq Roland just never seems to get untracked. Every year people talk a lot about him, and every year it seems to be something else, or he just kind of disappears for long stretches of games.

Besides it's unclear to me what magic set of tools he has to be awesome at that position. It's not burner speed. It's not Alshon hands and size. He doesn't run routes like Biletnikoff. He doesn't have Sidney Rice's magical body control and hands.

That said I am expecting the top receivers this year to be Byrd, Jones, and Cooper. Shaq will get his chances, and this may be his breakout year. We'll see.

Whitehurst, Shamier and the rest will get some chances this year. I am curious to see what they do with it. Whitehurst definitely has some tools, but he has missed both spring practices now, and he seems to lack sure hands from what I've seen.

I think Shamier is a really interesting player. He has the body. He makes individual plays that look like he deserves to play a lot. Then he makes a bad drop. This might be his last go round, I hope he puts it together.

Samuel, or even Googer from the freshmen might break into the rotation. Googer in particular might be the big wide out we have been needing since Alshon left. But while this only a hunch, I think Samuel is going to be another player like Cooper, just too good to wait until he learns the playbook to get him on the field.
Shaq really played well and came along at the end of the year. If he can pick up where he left off and keep his head on straight he could be in for a huge year.

I agree about Shamier. I really hope he can make some plays for us this year. He seems to have the talent, just can't seem to put it together. He seems like a guy who needs to make a few catches early in the season and he can get rolling. I hope he can-that would add another weapon to the WR group.

As for Samuel, I think any other year he would play this year similar to what Cooper did last year. Problem is, there's just so many players in front of him that getting him on the field may be difficult. If he gets a chance though it could be exciting.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #24
smtrgmcock
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 1200
smtrgmcock is sharpening his clawssmtrgmcock is sharpening his clawssmtrgmcock is sharpening his clawssmtrgmcock is sharpening his claws
Send a message via AIM to smtrgmcock

his role is to get white message board users hyped for production that won't happen
Old 06-02-2014, 12:22 AM   #25
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Id like to see him and #7 become third down threats
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:48 AM   #26
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

theres always that one offseason player that dosen't show up during the season lol . wonder who that will be this season .
Old 06-02-2014, 02:50 AM   #27
CockyLifer
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 99095
CockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talons

KW has a lot to prove that some of the more entitled players don't feel they do and I have always pulled for these type of players. He could have a huge year with DT being in there way more.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:12 AM   #28
sunbeam
Recruit

Male

sunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtrgmcock View Post
his role is to get white message board users hyped for production that won't happen
And your role is to let them know that eh?

Gosh, you must be really intelligent. And enlightened. Can't forget enlightened.

Thing is, in another place, in another offense (Petrino's maybe), Whitehurst might put up big numbers.

He might in this one. He is the 2nd fastest wide receiver behind Byrd right now. Right now there are 2 proven wide receivers (Byrd and Jones). Then there are a group of receivers behind them that haven't produced much as of yet. Roland has played the most. Cooper has done nothing but good things in the lineup.

Of the other guys, I personally don't Fuller or Brent are ever going to play much. Shamier and Whitehurst are guys who could potentially blow up if they get the opportunity. As I said in other offenses there isn't any problem spreading the ball around, don't know why this one seems to lag in that regard. I've seen Shamier dogged on these boards at times, but to my eye if he had been given as many opportunities as Roland he might be the clear third receiver at this point.

From my posts you might think I have a beef with Roland. I don't. I don't know him after all. But I haven't seen much from him on the field that warrants the number of snaps he's gotten (unlike Cooper). Someone said he had an excellent end of the year. Personally I wonder what if, and why one guy plays so much, and not another.

Heck you could also say Carlton Heard, and the giant kid Harvey should get shots too.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:41 AM   #29
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

His role will be mostly watching alongside Shamier. 2nd-3rd string guys. Nothing wrong with that and they'll get their shots, just not many of them until they can consistently prove worthy at practice and game. Neither have and both have looked lost at times.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #30
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Agreed for the most part. Shaq gets they hype from fans because of the Mr Football but how long ago was that now? Don't want to turn this into a bash against him because some of his late season grabs were spectacular. It does seem that they higher the degree of difficulty, the better he gets. He just needs to improve in the routine plays and work on the disappearing act for stretches of games. With a more pure pocket passer, this is his year to break out. If not, he just didn't live up to the expectations of being the "next up" in a string of SC Mr FB.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #31
G&B
ferk it

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
When I wrote that, I wrote it on my smartphone while taking a dump.
Can I make this my new sig line quote?

"Relativity is relative" - V. Smith
G&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #32
G&B
ferk it

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

Would be great to see KW improve catching, be a go to slot guy that makes us say "Bruce who?"

Now that would be wonderful, wouldn't it?

"Relativity is relative" - V. Smith
G&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #33
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Whitehurst is a slashing type runner with the ball in his hands. I certainly see him as a legit threat from the slot to take a short one long or to stretch the field against opponents who stack the box and play flat in the back. I would wonder about the possibility of him as a returner, especially if he isn't in the two deep and getting many reps. Any 4.4 guy with his size can be an asset if he catches well (kicks or passes) and protects the ball when running. I'm not sure of the nature of his injury that kept him sidelined this spring, but I think he may have some chances to contribute.
Goofyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #34
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2200
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

Didn't he get some time receiving punts last year during practices?
Old 06-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #35
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&B View Post
Would be great to see KW improve catching, be a go to slot guy that makes us say "Bruce who?"

Now that would be wonderful, wouldn't it?
It would be except he doesn't play the slot receiver. He is behind Damiere Byrd and Nick Jones at B receiver.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #36
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:

I don't see how Byrd and Jones are going to lead the team in receptions when they play the same receiving spot.

Shaq Roland was 5th on the team in receptions but 3rd in yardage, 1st in yards per reception, and tied for 1st in touchdowns. He is widely considered to be this year's breakout star candidate with the way he finished the 2013-2014 season. His body control as he showed against Clemson and Wisconsin is just as good as Sidney and Alshon's although his hands might not be. He isn't a burner but he has shown he can get behind a defense. Not sure what the heck you were watching the last quarter of the season when the light bulb came on.

You speak of all these receivers that are going to get their chances when in reality only 3 or 4 of them are going to get substantial snaps. That is going to be Roland, Byrd, and Cooper with Jones mixing in. The remaining two receivers in the 6 man rotation might be lucky to get 15 balls all year. That's 2 game day spots for Whitehurst, Jeffery, Brent, Fuller, and Samuel (I agree, he will play this year) to fight it out. Also, I'd bet anything that Mike Davis will have 40 catches this year if he is healthy.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 06-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #37
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

I'd put his over/under for number of catches at 8 for the season.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #38
sunbeam
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I don't see how Byrd and Jones are going to lead the team in receptions when they play the same receiving spot.

Shaq Roland was 5th on the team in receptions but 3rd in yardage, 1st in yards per reception, and tied for 1st in touchdowns. He is widely considered to be this year's breakout star candidate with the way he finished the 2013-2014 season. His body control as he showed against Clemson and Wisconsin is just as good as Sidney and Alshon's although his hands might not be. He isn't a burner but he has shown he can get behind a defense. Not sure what the heck you were watching the last quarter of the season when the light bulb came on.

You speak of all these receivers that are going to get their chances when in reality only 3 or 4 of them are going to get substantial snaps. That is going to be Roland, Byrd, and Cooper with Jones mixing in. The remaining two receivers in the 6 man rotation might be lucky to get 15 balls all year. That's 2 game day spots for Whitehurst, Jeffery, Brent, Fuller, and Samuel (I agree, he will play this year) to fight it out. Also, I'd bet anything that Mike Davis will have 40 catches this year if he is healthy.
So it is written in the stars, that it is physically impossible to have Byrd, Jones, and Cooper on the field at the same time? It just wouldn't work somehow if you put all 3 on the field at the same time?

Funny Whitehurst has shown one strength so far, and that is an ability to get behind the defense. You didn't notice that though, did you?

And no, I wouldn't put Roland's body control in Alshon't category, let alone Sidney Rice's.

Look, I know you look at lots of sites on the internet for recruiting information. You keep your eyes peeled for any writeup, any mention, any rumor. Then you put it up here. And this makes you an expert.

You might be right about the number of catches. But I did watch every game the past year. And I know what I saw.

Tell me your background. I mean you played at the college level right? Obviously you go to camps and clinics like a coach, and see what they are teaching.

Then there are all the times that Junior and Steve have you over chew the fat over who they are recruiting, who they think will leave or transfer, that sort of thing.

It's not like you have the same kind of background, as virtually every person on this board (didn't play any kind of ball past high school), and just scour a lot more internet sites and update recruiting threads, as opposed to the average poster here.

And because of that, you are some kind of authority and that means anything you post is automatically right, you have carte blanche to denigrate the thoughts and opinions of anyone you choose too, though you carefully cherry pick and straw man.

Now let me tell you something. I never played college football. But I've watched plenty of it the past few decades. I have seen players like Shamier get a chance to play, the light comes on, and they turn into players. I've also seen it never happen.

The guy has physical tools. The same for Whitehurst. Whether they turn into all stars in the NFL or not, I've seen players with the same sort of ability turn into guys who catch a ton of passes at the college level.

The same for Roland, but for all the opportunities he's been given, he has never really delivered.

Now you may gather, I don't regard you as an end all, be all expert. This snippet of an Eagles' song sums it up:

"I'm making records
My fans they can't wait
They write me letters
Tell me I'm great"

You may well be correct about this season. We'll see, won't we?
Old 06-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #39
sunbeam
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
It would be except he doesn't play the slot receiver. He is behind Damiere Byrd and Nick Jones at B receiver.
Yes, or no. Has Nick Jones ever played slot receiver the past 3 years?
Old 06-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #40
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
So it is written in the stars, that it is physically impossible to have Byrd, Jones, and Cooper on the field at the same time? It just wouldn't work somehow if you put all 3 on the field at the same time?
Its extremely unlikely. Roland would have to get hurt or be extremely unproductive for Byrd to shift over to the X receiver.

Quote:
Funny Whitehurst has shown one strength so far, and that is an ability to get behind the defense. You didn't notice that though, did you?
I've seen Kane make a nice grab against UNC. I've seen him drop a sure TD against UGA. I've seen him make a nice inside move and TD grab against Arkansas' scrubs. What we haven't seen from Kane is him being able to beat out the guys ahead of him on the depth chart to earn more playing time. Missing two Spring Practices doesn't help him either.

Quote:
And no, I wouldn't put Roland's body control in Alshon't category, let alone Sidney Rice's.
Hmm, might want to watch his Clemson and Wisconsin performances one more time.

Quote:
Look, I know you look at lots of sites on the internet for recruiting information. You keep your eyes peeled for any writeup, any mention, any rumor. Then you put it up here. And this makes you an expert.
When have I ever claimed to be an expert? I post articles and blurbs that keep the recruiting forum a float so fellow recruiting followers can keep up. I used to post a ton of information given to me by very informative people with the program that I still talk to today for a long time until I was asked to dial it back 4 years ago after Jadeveon Clowney signed. I know stuff that has happened with the program and on the recruiting trail that not many people here know about. Since then, I haven't posted anything of sort on a public forum.

I should go respond to every line of your post but I'd be wasting your time and mine.

We will definitely see what happens this season.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem