CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kingoftheroost
b381l
Gamecocks1137
GoldenSpur7
Cockypantherfan
Yearofthegamecock
ReadR00ster
gamecockgal
garnet_black215
Regalcock
Polls (3271)
Gameday in Columbia (2887)
Gameday Sign Ideas (2500)
Clem5on fans are bes (1562)
Dylan Thompson's pas (1447)
Why Weren't We Bette (1404)
SEC East Race as of (1145)
ST coach fired this (1026)
Let's talk about Mat (938)
Hardest Schedule (937)
D line pressure
ST coach fired this week
Why Weren't We Better Pre
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
Gameday in Columbia
Clem5on fans are beside t
USC/Missouri 9/27/2014
Polls
iPhone 6/6plus and Apple
James Thompson - 6'9"

Old 05-26-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
SuperCockMaster
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit
Default I got my mom tickets to the opener for mother's day never been to one and need advice

I want to make it a more memorable experience for her. She hasn't been to a game in close to fifteen years. My mom actually used to cheer for them back in the early 80's, so she remains a big fan. We live in Atlanta, so distance coupled with not being very well off made going to a game implausible hence my excitement at finally getting her to one. That being said, what's the tailgating like on a Thursday game? Any good hotspots we should hit up beforehand? I am sure the ones she remembers are no longer there or have different names now.
SuperCockMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:14 AM   #2
DJCatfish
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 4400
DJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his comb
Default Re: I got my mom tickets to the opener for mother's day never been to one and need ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCockMaster View Post
I want to make it a more memorable experience for her. She hasn't been to a game in close to fifteen years. My mom actually used to cheer for them back in the early 80's, so she remains a big fan. We live in Atlanta, so distance coupled with not being very well off made going to a game implausible hence my excitement at finally getting her to one. That being said, what's the tailgating like on a Thursday game? Any good hotspots we should hit up beforehand? I am sure the ones she remembers are no longer there or have different names now.
Honestly, if your mother is like mine then not only have her favorite spots changed, her taste has too. I'd try to secure a good spot in the fairgrounds (or, if prices permit, the new farmers market). That will provide access to the new Gamecock Walk, the band and cheerleaders processional, and plenty of gameday atmosphere without a lot of walking.

I've gone to a couple of Thursday openers, and the atmosphere is about like a big SEC game. Especially this year against A&M, I'd expect a crowd commensurate with a UGA or Clemson game honestly. First game of the year + first game against the new west rival + conference game = huge energy and huge crowd.

What I'm trying to say is -- it sounds like you are doing a really nice thing for your mom. Spend the rest of your funds on a good parking spot so she can soak up the atmosphere. If you're going to the game, it's going to be great, so just cut down on her walking, have a nice tailgate, make sure it's a family affair, and she'll really enjoy the trip.

I know that sounds simplistic, but if I hadn't seen a game in 15 years with my family, I'd like to tailgate with my son and watch the gamecocks play. Spending time with family and watching the game is plenty of action, don't feel obligated to demonstrate the best tailgate ever.
DJCatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:12 AM   #3
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit
Default Re: I got my mom tickets to the opener for mother's day never been to one and need ad

Single game parking in the farmers market is suspended for 2014 due to construction, and single game parking in the fairgrounds is listed as questionable.

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/ot/ga...formation.html
Old 05-27-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

CockyCash: 490
HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly

Quote:
Park in the Farmers Market then find our tailgate ! Its usually a HotSpot.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
SuperCockMaster
4-Star

Male

SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCatfish View Post
Honestly, if your mother is like mine then not only have her favorite spots changed, her taste has too. I'd try to secure a good spot in the fairgrounds (or, if prices permit, the new farmers market). That will provide access to the new Gamecock Walk, the band and cheerleaders processional, and plenty of gameday atmosphere without a lot of walking.

I've gone to a couple of Thursday openers, and the atmosphere is about like a big SEC game. Especially this year against A&M, I'd expect a crowd commensurate with a UGA or Clemson game honestly. First game of the year + first game against the new west rival + conference game = huge energy and huge crowd.

What I'm trying to say is -- it sounds like you are doing a really nice thing for your mom. Spend the rest of your funds on a good parking spot so she can soak up the atmosphere. If you're going to the game, it's going to be great, so just cut down on her walking, have a nice tailgate, make sure it's a family affair, and she'll really enjoy the trip.

I know that sounds simplistic, but if I hadn't seen a game in 15 years with my family, I'd like to tailgate with my son and watch the gamecocks play. Spending time with family and watching the game is plenty of action, don't feel obligated to demonstrate the best tailgate ever.
I should've been more specific. While my mom is in her early 50s now, she's in good shape and runs/walks farther than me daily lol. I will checkout the stuff you mentioned for sure. I think I will try and come to Columbia a night early and stay through Friday just to have more time there and fun.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

CockyCash: 350
Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Gonna be an unhappy momma... :)
Old 05-30-2014, 12:39 AM   #7
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

You say your mom was a cheerleader in the early 80's, hmmmm. What color are your hair and eyes son?
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:41 AM   #8
SuperCockMaster
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post
You say your mom was a cheerleader in the early 80's, hmmmm. What color are your hair and eyes son?
I wish there were downvotes on here.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:06 AM   #9
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
Haha, yeah you keep thinking that.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.

Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

If you want it to be a memorable experience make sure your tickets are in section 506.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
Cocky chick
Blue Chip

Female

Cocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot material

My advice: be sure and be in your seats in plenty of time for 2001 and the players' entrance. It is not to be missed - especially for someone that doesn't go to games regularly. And be sure and have a rally rag (they should be giving them away, especially for the first game). Sandstorm is not much fun without one - you end up looking pretty stupid :). Have fun!
Cocky chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:27 PM   #12
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
So your rookie QB is going to pick up where Johnny left off......good luck with that.....how many starters did you lose....I think it was at least 6-7.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:01 AM   #13
ds401
4-Star

Female

ds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I am a Mom. Since you are her son, I am sure anything 'the Son' does for his mom will be golden to your Mom. I am positive that the whole world knows by now that u are taking her to a game:) Inn at Clausen on Green is nice. Hampton on Gervais. I tried looking, but they seem to be 159 and 179 for the 28th of Aug. Look b/c I could of missed some hotels. IF you can not afford a parking space close to WB, then take the shuttle. ASK ur mom if there is a place she would like to go to eat. If she wants to be surprised, then try Liberty or Blue Marlin. Variety or prices and food.
ds401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:44 AM   #14
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
So your rookie QB is going to pick up where Johnny left off......good luck with that.....how many starters did you lose....I think it was at least 6-7.
He will not be Johnny, but he will be in a good spot. Look back at Sumlin's QBs They always do well. ALWAYS. We lost 3 starters that will really matter, in Mathews, Evans and JFF. Ricky Seals Jones (RSJ) will pick right up where Evans left off. Bigger, faster and more of a matchup nightmare since he will be placed in the slot and TE and sometimes outside as well. He was injured last year and got a medical redshirt. Mathews was a loss for us, but our RT (who is also projected to be a top 10 draft pick next year and was projected to be first rounder this year if he came out early) will move over to LT. Then of course there was JFF.

It is system driven. Even if he doesn't go on to be successful after his college career, Sumlin's QBs always put up big numbers.
That being said, When Johnny was a first year starter (and won the Heisman) he had never played a snap in College on the field. If Hill wins the starting job, (I don't think he will) he will have some playing time and if Allen wins the job (which I think he will) you will have the Nation's number one rated Pocket Passing QB in this year's class. Throw in the caliber receivers that are going to be catching his passes, the huge stable of backs that we have and an offensive line that lost one starter and yes he will be putting up big numbers. Our offense will not see a significant drop with or without JFF. Book it
Old 06-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #15
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

So...Johnny Cocktail sucked and it was the system not the playa. Booked it.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #16
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

Nope, Not what I said. I said that Sumlin's system will always have a QB with big numbers. Go look back at the guys he coached and what their numbers were even in their first year. Always big. He adapts his system to meet the guy he has. JFF was special no doubt, but his guys always put up big numbers, experience or not.