CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
5lbYardcock
b381l
StormOfTalons
18IsTheMan
bigdog2003
GSC2013
evan_aggie
conwaycock2
The Yancey
Do we have any shot (2475)
Carolina opens -15.5 (1801)
What changes can and (1377)
(50 minute Replay) U (1316)
Shaw: Check Out This (1247)
Don't tell me we don (1191)
Gamecocks claimed an (1090)
Gamecock football Lo (973)
Tanner McEvoy should (904)
SOS Teleconference (859)
SOS Teleconference
who thinks we need a whol
Gamecock football Long Te
Connor Shaw Browns
Mike Davis "doubtful
Pirate Depth Chart
Carolina opens -15.5
MLS almost ready for play
Japanese High School Base
My Observations About USC

Old 06-02-2014, 02:44 AM   #21
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit
Default Re: 2014 Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
Georgia will probably be a tougher home game than Missouri. I don't see us beating Auburn on the road. And Florida is always tough. I still think we have what it takes to go 11-1. But it feels like I'm one of the few who think that
I'm with ya
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:45 AM   #22
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Your not. I feel the same way.
Me too

Old 06-02-2014, 04:03 AM   #23
GarnetSwarm1990
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons

9-3 is probably the most realistic. That being said I think all 3 of those losses are in SEC play which would put us in a crap bowl and we will ALL be pretty pissed off about that.

As for some optimism, which quite a few people here seem to be lacking or just not expressing, if Dylan returns to the guy we saw 2 years ago and the O-line doesn't make him move around a lot then I think people will have to keep up with us on the scoreboard in games. Assuming those things I mentioned work out then we should easily average 35+ points a game. Don't forget we have a consistent kicker. So if those things do line up that would mean our inexperienced D could give up 4 TD's a game and we would still be in good position to win all our games.

The hidden key for me this season is a couple things.
1. We don't play back to back road games this year.

2. Our first 2 games. Lots of people on here want to write of A&M as an easy win. Sumlin will not sit his starters for an SEC game even if they should due to off the field stuff. His offenses at Houston were record breaking and they were without a mobile QB (Keenum threw for 5,000+ yards 3 times under Sumlin). Their D is more experienced and won't be as bad as last year. And UGA, well simply put, UGA always plays us tough.

If we walk out of those 2 games 2-0, then I see no reason why we won't be competing, again, to go to the SECCG.

My official opinion after saying all that is 10-2.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:08 AM   #24
Gamecocks1137
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
9-3 is probably the most realistic. That being said I think all 3 of those losses are in SEC play which would put us in a crap bowl and we will ALL be pretty pissed off about that.

As for some optimism, which quite a few people here seem to be lacking or just not expressing, if Dylan returns to the guy we saw 2 years ago and the O-line doesn't make him move around a lot then I think people will have to keep up with us on the scoreboard in games. Assuming those things I mentioned work out then we should easily average 35+ points a game. Don't forget we have a consistent kicker. So if those things do line up that would mean our inexperienced D could give up 4 TD's a game and we would still be in good position to win all our games.

The hidden key for me this season is a couple things.
1. We don't play back to back road games this year.

2. Our first 2 games. Lots of people on here want to write of A&M as an easy win. Sumlin will not sit his starters for an SEC game even if they should due to off the field stuff. His offenses at Houston were record breaking and they were without a mobile QB (Keenum threw for 5,000+ yards 3 times under Sumlin). Their D is more experienced and won't be as bad as last year. And UGA, well simply put, UGA always plays us tough.

If we walk out of those 2 games 2-0, then I see no reason why we won't be competing, again, to go to the SECCG.

My official opinion after saying all that is 10-2.
Right, but Houston also plays some of the worst teams in the country. Which is the reason why Keenum was never a real contender for the Heisman.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #25
cocknblue
Looking for Lee Ho Fook's

Male

CockyCash: 600
cocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPit

I will not be at all surprised if this team wins the East and is in the playoff discussion.

I've been wrong before, but I really believe that those who say this season is going to be a step back from the past few years are in for a big surprise.

A dominant offensive line will take open up the running game and take the pressure off Thompson to be a game saver. The defense may not be as good, but it won't have to be. And the schedule sets up nicely.

Of course, its a bit of a jump, isnt it? I mean, er chartered accountancy to lion taming in one go. You dont think it might be better if you worked your way towards lion taming, say via banking or insurance?"
cocknblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #26
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

SEC Champions
Old 06-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #27
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
So we are basing what Dt will do this season based on him struggling against one of the best Defenses in the SEC in 2013? I am going to rewatch the 13 Mizzou game but was Dt that bad? If I remember correctly it was MD28 that got us in that hole with his turnovers. Mizzou almost toppled, Auburn which was a couple plays from being national champs. I don't get that logic DT has the potential to go off and we DO have one of the best and deepest offensive lines we have ever had as well as so many skill players. I honestly feel that this will be the closest we will have seen Spurriers offense to the fun n gun since he arrived. Because they have to respect our running ability which leaves man on most of our receivers.

If our defense got gashed for 24 or less a game I think we can shootout this year and win most if not all of our games. I don't feel our defense is going to be as bad as everyone thinks either, I do see some deep threat teams getting several long scores and plays but on that note who are the quarterbacks we are facing? Murray, Boyd, McCarron if we get to atl and jff are all gone. So inexperienced qb's will be facing off against very talented gamecock defenders who are not necc. college proven should that not equal out? When we are switching the defense to favor our strengths(the linebacking core) I don't get the doom and gloom of most fans here. Call me a sunshine pumper all you want but this could be a very big year for us!
huh?
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #28
St. Louis Gamecock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
St. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
Georgia will probably be a tougher home game than Missouri. I don't see us beating Auburn on the road. And Florida is always tough. I still think we have what it takes to go 11-1. But it feels like I'm one of the few who think that
^^^ This! ^^^
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #29
86 GradCock
7 Year Plan

Male

CockyCash: 1450
86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly

I expect teams to stack the box and force us to pass early and often. Many games will be decided based on how well the coaching staff adjusts in games. So far, we have been one of the best SEC teams at adjusting gameplans as evidenced by our 3rd quarter domination in scoring over our opponents last year. I expect that to continue. I see Dylan become a much better field general. He has already shown the ability to go through the progressions and, IMO, he is better at it than Connor was. With all of the talent we have on offense, getting the ball to an open receiver should not be a problem. If our defense can play well enough to keep opponents from dominating TOP, we should win most of our games. 10-3 with a bowl win and getting some experience for next year's QB would be a successful year.
86 GradCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #30
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Last year for me it was beat UGA and we win out the regular season. This year I think it is beat UGA and aubie and we go 12-0
Old 06-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #31
86 GradCock
7 Year Plan

Male

CockyCash: 1450
86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly

Also, this is a year where I hope to see some new impact players step up. It seems like we get one or sometimes two of these each year; Norwood, Ingram, Wilds filling in for an injured Marcus are among those in recent years. It would be great to see 2 or 3 players do this during the season. Cooper, Roland, Moore, English, Adams come to mind as real possibilities this year.
86 GradCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #32
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

ra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPit

I know everyone loves to bash Dylan for the Mizzou game. However, let's look at some details. We unsuccessfully ran the football 35 times for 75 yards. Total offense was nearly 500 yards (498). We threw the ball 56 times. Contrast that, with Mizzou's offense running it 41 times for 155 (2) and only completing 10 passes for 250 yards (25 ypc). Thompson's state line 15/27 for 222 and 1 int. The big issue in this game were the two fumbles by MD28. I know Dylan didn't play GREAT, but if you look at his career averages, the Mizzou game is a microcosm of his career.

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #33
superfly
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

I expect to go 15-0...win the SEC Championship and National Championship...have a Heisman Trophy winner....and be considered one of the greatest teams in the history of college football....I also expect reality to set in before the season starts.....until then...I can see it the way I want to....lol.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #34
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

If we can beat A&M at home, we 'll have another awesome year. If not, I could see 4 losses. I'll be having fun either way. Go Cawks
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #35
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
So we are basing what Dt will do this season based on him struggling against one of the best Defenses in the SEC in 2013? I am going to rewatch the 13 Mizzou game but was Dt that bad? If I remember correctly it was MD28 that got us in that hole with his turnovers. Mizzou almost toppled, Auburn which was a couple plays from being national champs. I don't get that logic DT has the potential to go off and we DO have one of the best and deepest offensive lines we have ever had as well as so many skill players. I honestly feel that this will be the closest we will have seen Spurriers offense to the fun n gun since he arrived. Because they have to respect our running ability which leaves man on most of our receivers.

If our defense got gashed for 24 or less a game I think we can shootout this year and win most if not all of our games. I don't feel our defense is going to be as bad as everyone thinks either, I do see some deep threat teams getting several long scores and plays but on that note who are the quarterbacks we are facing? Murray, Boyd, McCarron if we get to atl and jff are all gone. So inexperienced qb's will be facing off against very talented gamecock defenders who are not necc. college proven should that not equal out? When we are switching the defense to favor our strengths(the linebacking core) I don't get the doom and gloom of most fans here. Call me a sunshine pumper all you want but this could be a very big year for us!
Exactly. Dylan didn't play bad against Mizzou. Mike D was fumbling the game away and for some reason people wanna blame DT. DT was leading them down the field and bad over 200 yards through 2.5 quarters. If not for the Mike D fumbles we would of been winning the game.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #36
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

The Defense really concerns me. Lack of pass rushers and experience at DE and the unexpected at CB. Will MCWilliams and Jamari and the true freshmen be enough. We have no idea and that teamed up with a lack of a pass rush is going to be a big question. Yea Brison W may play CB but is he serviceable there? That means Gurley has to play along side Elder. Can Gurley defend the pass? I feel confident about our LB core and expect big things from Lewis, Walton and especially Skai. But lots of question marks.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #37
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
jrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Exactly. Dylan didn't play bad against Mizzou. Mike D was fumbling the game away and for some reason people wanna blame DT. DT was leading them down the field and bad over 200 yards through 2.5 quarters. If not for the Mike D fumbles we would of been winning the game.
That was part of the problem, but that 90+ yard TD reception that our defense gave up didn't help matters much either!!

Last edited by jrussjr; 06-02-2014 at 01:42 PM.
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #38
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
The Defense really concerns me. Lack of pass rushers and experience at DE and the unexpected at CB. Will MCWilliams and Jamari and the true freshmen be enough. We have no idea and that teamed up with a lack of a pass rush is going to be a big question. Yea Brison W may play CB but is he serviceable there? That means Gurley has to play along side Elder. Can Gurley defend the pass? I feel confident about our LB core and expect big things from Lewis, Walton and especially Skai. But lots of question marks.
Pretty accurate description. Truthfully, I don't see how this defense is going to consistently get off the field. Brison Williams has been solid at safety for two years, but now he has to move to CB because of depth and inexperience. That should tell us all we need to know about how dire things are at CB.

DE is even scarier. No depth and no pass rushers, which could ultimately create huge problems in the secondary. LB will be fine and DT should be fine, but that's about it.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #39
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
huh?
You know how close that game really was. Late padding scores don't reflect an entire game.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #40
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

National media seemst to be more confident of what this team can accomplish than we are....which is backwards.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote