CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JulesWinnfield90
black_magic85
rolinb1
BiscoCocky
BlueHerons
Gamecocks1137
trapper82
StormOfTalons
Aggie96
nodnahs
TAMU Starting CB Out (1737)
Clemson RB Out for Y (1507)
an apology (1093)
Clowney possibly hur (1076)
Our players and the (956)
Your SEC Standings P (939)
2013 game vs TN is o (904)
They are coming to y (885)
Favorite Gamecock of (611)
This helmit is aweso (567)
an apology
Spurrier: Davis May Not B
2015 Commitment - Zack Ba
TAMU Starting CB Out For
Your SEC Standings Predic
How are we feeling about
First "Carolina Call
Connor Shaw Browns
Clemson RB Out for Year
texags

Old 06-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #41
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014 Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
You know how close that game really was. Late padding scores don't reflect an entire game.
Helps that the refs gave them a free TD.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #42
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Pretty accurate description. Truthfully, I don't see how this defense is going to consistently get off the field. Brison Williams has been solid at safety for two years, but now he has to move to CB because of depth and inexperience. That should tell us all we need to know about how dire things are at CB.

DE is even scarier. No depth and no pass rushers, which could ultimately create huge problems in the secondary. LB will be fine and DT should be fine, but that's about it.
Thanks man.

We have depth at DE we just don't know if any of them can actually play at an SEC level. Dixon has been solid as a 2 deep player. Who knows what we will get from English, Harris, Johnson, Cooper, and Washington.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #43
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by treys1986 View Post
National media seemst to be more confident of what this team can accomplish than we are....which is backwards.
No kidding, it feels like we are just hoping for the best and staying humble. Screw that I am stoked about this year In HBC we trust!
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:41 PM   #44
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit

I'm a pessimist, but I see us taking a sizable step back this year. I'm not sold on Dylan as an SEC-caliber QB and I think we'll struggle mightily given some inexperience and personnel deficiencies on defense, particularly at DE

Here are my Carolina and SEC predictions for the upcoming year:

South Carolina 2014 Schedule
Texas A&M Loss
East Carolina Win
Georgia Loss
at Vanderbilt Win
Missouri Win
at Kentucky Win
Furman Win
at Auburn Loss
Tennessee Win
at Florida Loss
South Alabama Win
at Clemson Loss
7-5 (4-4 SEC)

Overall SEC Predictions

SEC East
Georgia 11-1 (7-1)
Florida 8-4 (5-3)
USC 7-5 (4-4)
Missouri 7-5 (3-5)
Tennessee 6-6 (3-5)
Vanderbilt 5-7 (1-7)
Kentucky 3-9 (0-8)

SEC West
Alabama 11-1 (7-1)
Auburn 11-1 (7-1)
LSU 10-2 (6-2)
Texas A&M 9-3 (5-3)
Miss State 8-4 (4-4)
Ole Miss 7-5 (3-5)
Arkansas 4-8 (1-7)

Alabama over UGA in the SEC Championship

As I said earlier, I'm a pessimist. While I do think we'll go 7-5, I also recognize that prediction is near the "worst-case scenario" for the Gamecocks, barring a horrific rash of injuries or unforeseen circumstances. I hope I'm wrong and the Gamecocks far exceed my expectations, I'll be at all the home games and I'm going to try and make all the road games

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #45
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipull4usc View Post
I'm a pessimist, but I see us taking a sizable step back this year. I'm not sold on Dylan as an SEC-caliber QB and I think we'll struggle mightily given some inexperience and personnel deficiencies on defense, particularly at DE

Texas A&M Loss
East Carolina Win
Georgia Loss
at Vanderbilt Win
Missouri Win
at Kentucky Win
Furman Win
at Auburn Loss
Tennessee Win
at Florida Loss
South Alabama Win
at Clemson Loss
7-5 (4-4 SEC)

Overall SEC Predictions

SEC East
Georgia 11-1 (7-1)
Florida 8-4 (5-3)
USC 7-5 (4-4)
Missouri 7-5 (3-5)
Tennessee 6-6 (3-5)
Vanderbilt 5-7 (1-7)
Kentucky 3-9 (0-8)

SEC West
Alabama 11-1 (7-1)
Auburn 11-1 (7-1)
LSU 10-2 (6-2)
Texas A&M 9-3 (5-3)
Miss State 8-4 (4-4)
Ole Miss 7-5 (3-5)
Arkansas 4-8 (1-7)

As I said earlier, I'm a pessimist. While I do think we'll go 7-5, I also recognize that prediction is near the "worst-case scenario" for the Gamecocks, barring a horrific rash of injuries or unforeseen circumstances. I hope I'm wrong and the Gamecocks far exceed my expectations, I'll be at all the home games and I'm going to try and make all the road games
You will be pleasantly surprised

Old 06-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #46
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

8 wins is my low prediction, 15-0 is my high prediction, so probably anywhere in b/w makes sense.

We are going to need to develop an elite pass rush using unproven players. We are going to need young inexperienced CB's to step up early and perform at an elite level. We are going to need to punt the ball and net more than 40 yards. If all this happens, we'll have a playoff team, if it doesn't, we'll fall short of that. I think the offense is going to be awesome, we just have some big ?'s on Defense and Spec Teams.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #47
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by treys1986 View Post
National media seemst to be more confident of what this team can accomplish than we are....which is backwards.
Are you saying we're a lock to win a Natty Championship?
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #48
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Texas A&M Loss
East Carolina Win
Georgia Loss
at Vanderbilt Win
Missouri Win
at Kentucky Win
Furman Win
at Auburn Loss
Tennessee Win
at Florida Loss
South Alabama Win
at Clemson Loss
7-5 (4-4 SEC)

Overall SEC Predictions

SEC East
Georgia 11-1 (7-1)
Florida 8-4 (5-3)
USC 7-5 (4-4)
Missouri 7-5 (3-5)
Tennessee 6-6 (3-5)
Vanderbilt 5-7 (1-7)
Kentucky 3-9 (0-8)

SEC West
Alabama 11-1 (7-1)
Auburn 11-1 (7-1)
LSU 10-2 (6-2)
Texas A&M 9-3 (5-3)
Miss State 8-4 (4-4)
Ole Miss 7-5 (3-5)
Arkansas 4-8 (1-7)

Reasonable expectations.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:19 PM   #49
GarnetSwarm1990
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons

Ah June, the most pessimistic time of the year for Gamecock football fans.

We've had major questions going into ever season in the last 3 years. Maybe not as many, but the coaches did their job and coached up the boys and we went 11-2. We return one of the best offenses in the SEC this year and I believe Dylan is putting in the work.

I'm not looking for sunshine pumping but 7-5? really? Have we not recruited SEC caliber players in the last 3 years? Or are you guys just expecting former back-ups to not get any better and continue playing like back-ups?

We had a very young team last year and won 11 games. I get the question marks but we are still going to have a solid season at worst.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #50
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Texas A&M Loss
East Carolina Win
Georgia Loss
at Vanderbilt Win
Missouri Win
at Kentucky Win
Furman Win
at Auburn Loss
Tennessee Win
at Florida Loss
South Alabama Win
at Clemson Loss
7-5 (4-4 SEC)

Overall SEC Predictions

SEC East
Georgia 11-1 (7-1)
Florida 8-4 (5-3)
USC 7-5 (4-4)
Missouri 7-5 (3-5)
Tennessee 6-6 (3-5)
Vanderbilt 5-7 (1-7)
Kentucky 3-9 (0-8)

SEC West
Alabama 11-1 (7-1)
Auburn 11-1 (7-1)
LSU 10-2 (6-2)
Texas A&M 9-3 (5-3)
Miss State 8-4 (4-4)
Ole Miss 7-5 (3-5)
Arkansas 4-8 (1-7)

Don't see us losing to Texas A&M at home, and clempson will be crashing and burning. Other than that, I agree. I don't think we can stop Gurley or Chubb. Florida, because we are on the road its a toss up. I think we lose to Auburn and UGA at a minimum.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #51
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Don't see us losing to Texas A&M at home, and clempson will be crashing and burning. Other than that, I agree. I don't think we can stop Gurley or Chubb. Florida, because we are on the road its a toss up. I think we lose to Auburn and UGA at a minimum.
You guys must be completely oblivious to our LB's returning this year.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.

Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #52
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocknblue View Post
I will not be at all surprised if this team wins the East and is in the playoff discussion.

I've been wrong before, but I really believe that those who say this season is going to be a step back from the past few years are in for a big surprise.

A dominant offensive line will take open up the running game and take the pressure off Thompson to be a game saver. The defense may not be as good, but it won't have to be. And the schedule sets up nicely.

Cocknblue, I spent the whole week in London doing the deal for Spurs with Pochettino. I feel much about him than AVB or Sherwood. The players like him as well. Feel much better about next year. Come to a Spurs game with me as my guest next season.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #53
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
Cocknblue, I spent the whole week in London doing the deal for Spurs with Pochettino. I feel much about him than AVB or Sherwood. The players like him as well. Feel much better about next year. Come to a Spurs game with me as my guest next season.
I thats pretty cool, and I'm a West Ham supporter, lol.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #54
petecock
Recruit

Male

petecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervous

Has everyone lost their minds?
JD will not be missed as much as some here may think. The D Line will be fine!!!
With our continually improving LBs (run stuffing), and a new "tradition" of pass rush expectations, our DB positions may not be that critical.
We have a proven QB with a different set of skills than Shaw, but who has a better head ball coach to utilize his talent?
We have Mike Fricken Davis.
We have a good, if not great, offensive line!
My stars! If we do not beat the fool out of A&M, I will be disappointed!
The biggest game I am concerned about has more questions for our opponent than for us, the Georgia Bulldogs.
IF, IF, IF, IF, we beat Georgia, I could give a rat's patootie about Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Misery, you name it, because for the first time in a few years, the winner of Ga vs. USC is going to win the East and perhaps even beat Auburn twice!!!
Alabama sucks!!!! We'll beat them too, if necessary!!!!

Buck up boys!!!!!!!
petecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #55
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
The ones that allowed Gurley over 130 yards in our last game and 227 rush yards total? Yes they've improved, but the dline is not as talented. Just my opinion.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #56
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

My hope is that Darius puts on some real weight this summer. I don't see how anyone says we can not rush the passer, that is what he does best. Stopping the run will be tough....
Old 06-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #57
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
The ones that allowed Gurley over 130 yards in our last game and 227 rush yards total? Yes they've improved, but the dline is not as talented. Just my opinion.
They will be more improved, and playing them at home this year I think makes the difference. IF we are as loud this time around as we were last time they came, it will be something special to watch.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.

Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #58
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit

Atleast 9-3, not including the bowl game.

If you look at where we lost players, with the exception of DE the TALENT dropoff is slim to none. We lost a lot at CB but also are bringing in 3 All American's and a son of one of the best corners to play the game arguably. Not to mention, our safety tandem is one of the tops in the league with Elder, Gurley, Williams, and Marcus. That will also allow us to maybe see one of them guys play corner more and have experience out there. DB is probably the easiest transition and we have some athletes and talent there.

DE position is concerning because of the lack of star talent and experience HOWEVER we are running a 3-4 Defense more likely then not and that plays into our strengths considering how solid our LB core is. Lets not forget Darius English is finally putting on the weight he needs too, Gerald Dixon has looked solid during his action. It'll be interesting to see what English, Dixon, Cooper, and possibly Washington do at DE. We won't be the threats we've been on the outside but we will be "just good/average enough" to not lose a game because of our ends.

Thompson is going to be fine and he will have his rough moments but he also has some very talented guys to throw the ball to and hand the ball off too. Mike Davis, Brandon Wilds, David Williams, and Shon Carson give us plenty of depth at RB. Shaq Roland is finally going to be the guy we expected him to be coming out of HS and Cooper, Bryd and Jones are going to be good as well. Our TE's HAVE to get involved more for our offense to be as good as it can. If that happens then we will be in for possibly a special season.
lilhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #59
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Since Steve has been in Columbia, Georgia has scored: 18 in 2006, 14 in 2008, 6 in 2010, 7 in 2012. That's an average of 11 points. Thought that was worth mentioning.

Another FFOTD: If you average the points scored by each team since 2005, the score is 22-22. Shows how close its been lately. Also, it's kinda weird how the high scoring games have been in Athens. In 2009, 11, 13- at least one team got into the 40s. In Columbia, the most points scored by one team was 35, and that game was not even close.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #60
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

1137 what is the deal with our fellow fans?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post