CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GarnetSwarm1990
SwampFox
cockyguitar
MaxQAg
RockRocks787
yazoo
The Yancey
Elcid99 (2812)
PSU drops a prospect (1649)
Bad movies that are (856)
Mizzou WR suspended (686)
John Abraham DUI (589)
Best Offensive " (466)
I was there, when (422)
Rokevious Watkins cu (415)
Re-Airing South Caro (374)
Travelle Warton reti (325)
Clemson, Auburn home and
An Aggies View of the Mat
Shaw Interview: SB Nation
Green and Lammons
Clemson Recruiting...how
Official SEC Network and
Elcid99
2015 - Nathan Gilliam
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
2015 Commitment - A.J. Tu

Old 06-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #41
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76
Default Re: Baseball Reflection & Outlook

Refelction…..

Runners in scoring position.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #42
Taylorspur
Recruit

CockyCash: 500
Taylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spurs

Think I read somewhere where Beal is already gone. Some of these guys that are supposedly going have problems hitting. Maybe they are tired of going to school because the bonus money won't be there. Greiner will most likely be the highest draftee and his bat went cold down the stretch as well.
Taylorspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #43
gAmkok
Eh.

Male

CockyCash: 200
gAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
Defense and injuries were our downfall this year. Baseball is a streak game, that even the best hitters fail 70% of the time, at the plate. The pitching is there...the bullpen is great....we can go on a run next year and hit a slump somewhere along the way. I think we peaked very early in the season and then the injuries came. I think if we had been injury free and played out the streak at the end of the season we would have hosted a Super and been heading to the CWS with the chance to win it all. It didn't happen...we are still a great program, have a top notch stadium, great players, with a very good coach and the sky is the limit. I am over this so lets move on to football and revisit this next year. The guys gave it their best.....You think YOU are disappointed....try being them!
I'm not attacking you for this, but I will point out that this is the exact sentiment that people used to use here with the football team to justify why fans should be ok with disappointment.

I expect Holbrook to right the ship and continue the Ray Tanner tradition of exceptional baseball in Columbia. But this weekend's ouster from the tourney is squarely on his shoulders. There was no excuse for losing our regional with a mostly healthy roster and a team that won 42 games prior.
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:51 PM   #44
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gAmkok View Post
But this weekend's ouster from the tourney is squarely on his shoulders There was no excuse for losing our regional with a mostly healthy roster and a team that won 42 games prior.
Not a chance. He throws Jack Wynkoop, a relatively consistent pitcher with more then good enough stuff to beat Maryland but he doesn't make it past the second inning.

Grayson Griener and Joey Pankake choked when there time came to knock runners in and hitting in the order where they do is expected to drive in runs and get on base. That didn't happen.

Don't get me wrong it's not these three guys fault solely, but they did have a lot to do with it because I am willing to be house money Holbrook expected Wynkoop to go into the 6th-7th then give the ball to Mincey and/or Seddon.

In reality, we just got out played by a team we shouldn't have and that usually comes down to player leadership and we remember what happen at the beginning of the season when Holbrook and a few of the core players were in his dog house. Remember hindsight is 20/20.
lilhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:03 PM   #45
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

In the end, we were beat by a Maryland team that was peaking, yet a team that shouldn't have been able to walk the dog on us as they did. And that's what a fly ball to centerfield will get you.
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:27 AM   #46
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Seems to me we were very good against inferior opponents and not so good against equal or better opponents. With all the talent we have, this leads me to believe there needs to be a change in coaching philosophy. Holbrook is a good coach, but he needs to change some things he does as a manager. My 2 cents.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #47
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

Just listened to an interview with Mike Morgan who does quite a few SEC games & has an extensive history covering USC baseball.

He summed things up very simply with this USC team.
"This was not a scary lineup"
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #48
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
I'm surprised he thinks Beal will stay and Bright/Mincey will go. I think those will be reversed.
I can't see Mincy going...but you never know.
Bright I can see just because of his ability to hit in the gap when healthy...but his injury may have dropped him.

Beal I just can't see wanting to come back. NOt on Holbrook or Meyer, Beal had the chance to lock down the midweek spot and didn't do it.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #49
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Wasn't Beal having arm issues most of the season, and then when he came back broke his nose?
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #50
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
In the end, we were beat by a Maryland team that was peaking, yet a team that shouldn't have been able to walk the dog on us as they did. And that's what a fly ball to centerfield will get you.
With respect. Maryland did not beat us. We lost to Maryland. Big difference and is where most of the angst is coming from. When we give them enough runs to win on throwing errors, hit about .125 with RISP, we didn't get beat, we lost. We can handle getting beat, not losing. That seemed to be the norm this year against good opposition. I love Joey Pankake, but, god bless him, he choked in just about every pressure situation he was in this year.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #51
aceum1234
Walk On

Male

aceum1234 has hatched from the shell

Should have pitched Crow the first game against Maryland.Easy win and you are in the winners bracket.
aceum1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #52
Latti
Uscooper

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Latti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceum1234 View Post
Should have pitched Crow the first game against Maryland.Easy win and you are in the winners bracket.

That's easy to say now. Jack did have a sub 2.8 era. If Joey makes that play it's 2-0 instead of 4-0. They didn't hit him hard.
Latti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #53
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latti View Post
That's easy to say now. Jack did have a sub 2.8 era. If Joey makes that play it's 2-0 instead of 4-0. They didn't hit him hard.
I was sitting there as Joey was fielding thinking "don't try it". I just had a bad feeling...
Old 06-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #54
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

We should have beat Maryland Saturday night.... Now on Sunday, they flat kicked our ass. What aggravates me is ODU had them beat in the very first game, and self -destructed in the bottom of the 9th.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #55
bmwparts
Blue Chip

Male

bmwparts has earned his spursbmwparts has earned his spursbmwparts has earned his spursbmwparts has earned his spursbmwparts has earned his spursbmwparts has earned his spurs

Quote:
I know I'm gonna get blasted for saying this but Jack isn't as good as Widener or Crow. If you watched most games this year the other teams got to him early & alot.

From a coaching stand point starting Jack on Saturday doesn't make since because the other teams have no adjustments to make from Friday night to saturdays game, 2 leftys, both have basicly the same stuff & mph and both are 6'5?

starting rotation next year.
1. Jordan
2. Widener
3. Crow

mid relief
1. Jack
2. Reagan
3. Scott

closers
1. Cody
2. Joel
Old 06-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #56
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Same thing I said after that game.
Joey really did cost us that game.
His error allowed two to score, then he choked in the ninth with runners in scoring position (like the rest of the lineup choked in the 6th, 7th, 8th).

Take away the error, Carolina wins 3-2 and is likely in the supers.
Two-time National Champs

Old 06-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #57
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

CockyCash: 1200
palmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilson View Post
With respect. Maryland did not beat us. We lost to Maryland. Big difference and is where most of the angst is coming from. When we give them enough runs to win on throwing errors, hit about .125 with RISP, we didn't get beat, we lost. We can handle getting beat, not losing. That seemed to be the norm this year against good opposition. I love Joey Pankake, but, god bless him, he choked in just about every pressure situation he was in this year.
Sounds a whole lot like clemson after we beat them.
palmettosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #58
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwparts View Post
I know I'm gonna get blasted for saying this but Jack isn't as good as Widener or Crow. If you watched most games this year the other teams got to him early & alot.

From a coaching stand point starting Jack on Saturday doesn't make since because the other teams have no adjustments to make from Friday night to saturdays game, 2 leftys, both have basicly the same stuff & mph and both are 6'5?

starting rotation next year.
1. Jordan
2. Widener
3. Crow

mid relief
1. Jack
2. Reagan
3. Scott

closers
1. Cody
2. Joel
First, JOrdan won't be here, so Crowe is the likely Friday starter.
Keep Jack on Saturday, because the guy can pitch, and gives a righty-lefty switch for Friday to Saturday.

Our Sunday spot is wide open..not quite sold on Widener as a weekend starter...reliever yes, but starter, not sure. Also, don't forget about Curt Britt, who showed flashes and was highly touted out of high school.

Mid relief I like Reagan and Scott, I'd also throw in Fiori. Also keep an eye for John Parke next year. I think you also have to wait and see if we keep Destino and/or Brandon Murray from going pro.

closer, I think Mincy stays, but Seddon may go pro, and if that happens, look for Cropper, Vogel and signee Junior Harding to compete.

also, the wildcart of Forest Koumas is back next year...could be a Sunday starter, could be a mid-relief, could be a closer.
Two-time National Champs

Old 06-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #59
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Same thing I said after that game.
Joey really did cost us that game.
His error allowed two to score, then he choked in the ninth with runners in scoring position (like the rest of the lineup choked in the 6th, 7th, 8th).

Take away the error, Carolina wins 3-2 and is likely in the supers.
I don't know what Maryland sacrificed before the regionals to the baseball gods, but the Terps got about every break they needed. Needless to say they did get hits on Sunday night, but up until that point, they were living on charity.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #60
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
I don't know what Maryland sacrificed before the regionals to the baseball gods, but the Terps got about every break they needed. Needless to say they did get hits on Sunday night, but up until that point, they were living on charity.
I'm telling ya...we pissed off the uniform mojo God early in the season not wearing Yankee Grays up there. Yes we won the game, but they made it WAY too interesting.