CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Regalcock
JerseyBird
ConwayGamecock
CockyLifer
The Yancey
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
SMOTFS86
B-G
GregoryHouse
Has the window close (1218)
Bruce!!! (1093)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (790)
Kentucky is dominati (729)
Question for those w (654)
**USC vs. Coker GAME (546)
2014 Subway Classic: (531)
UFC Fight Night 58: (460)
Going to the Duck Bo (306)
Ali Hospitalized Wit (113)
Decommitment from Texas A
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
***2014 Carolina Panthers
Cocky at the Duck Command
Bruce!!!
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu
Question for those who ha
Going to the Duck Bowl?
The Vent and Coaching cha

Old 06-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #41
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material
Default Re: Kane Whitehurst's role in 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtrgmcock View Post
his role is to get white message board users hyped for production that won't happen
FTR, when I said "his skillset intrigues me"... I was referring to 4.3 speed.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #42
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
So it is written in the stars, that it is physically impossible to have Byrd, Jones, and Cooper on the field at the same time? It just wouldn't work somehow if you put all 3 on the field at the same time?

Funny Whitehurst has shown one strength so far, and that is an ability to get behind the defense. You didn't notice that though, did you?

And no, I wouldn't put Roland's body control in Alshon't category, let alone Sidney Rice's.

Look, I know you look at lots of sites on the internet for recruiting information. You keep your eyes peeled for any writeup, any mention, any rumor. Then you put it up here. And this makes you an expert.

You might be right about the number of catches. But I did watch every game the past year. And I know what I saw.

Tell me your background. I mean you played at the college level right? Obviously you go to camps and clinics like a coach, and see what they are teaching.

Then there are all the times that Junior and Steve have you over chew the fat over who they are recruiting, who they think will leave or transfer, that sort of thing.

It's not like you have the same kind of background, as virtually every person on this board (didn't play any kind of ball past high school), and just scour a lot more internet sites and update recruiting threads, as opposed to the average poster here.

And because of that, you are some kind of authority and that means anything you post is automatically right, you have carte blanche to denigrate the thoughts and opinions of anyone you choose too, though you carefully cherry pick and straw man.

Now let me tell you something. I never played college football. But I've watched plenty of it the past few decades. I have seen players like Shamier get a chance to play, the light comes on, and they turn into players. I've also seen it never happen.

The guy has physical tools. The same for Whitehurst. Whether they turn into all stars in the NFL or not, I've seen players with the same sort of ability turn into guys who catch a ton of passes at the college level.

The same for Roland, but for all the opportunities he's been given, he has never really delivered.

Now you may gather, I don't regard you as an end all, be all expert. This snippet of an Eagles' song sums it up:

"I'm making records
My fans they can't wait
They write me letters
Tell me I'm great"

You may well be correct about this season. We'll see, won't we?
lol.

Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #43
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
So it is written in the stars, that it is physically impossible to have Byrd, Jones, and Cooper on the field at the same time? It just wouldn't work somehow if you put all 3 on the field at the same time?

Funny Whitehurst has shown one strength so far, and that is an ability to get behind the defense. You didn't notice that though, did you?

And no, I wouldn't put Roland's body control in Alshon't category, let alone Sidney Rice's.

Look, I know you look at lots of sites on the internet for recruiting information. You keep your eyes peeled for any writeup, any mention, any rumor. Then you put it up here. And this makes you an expert.

You might be right about the number of catches. But I did watch every game the past year. And I know what I saw.

Tell me your background. I mean you played at the college level right? Obviously you go to camps and clinics like a coach, and see what they are teaching.

Then there are all the times that Junior and Steve have you over chew the fat over who they are recruiting, who they think will leave or transfer, that sort of thing.

It's not like you have the same kind of background, as virtually every person on this board (didn't play any kind of ball past high school), and just scour a lot more internet sites and update recruiting threads, as opposed to the average poster here.

And because of that, you are some kind of authority and that means anything you post is automatically right, you have carte blanche to denigrate the thoughts and opinions of anyone you choose too, though you carefully cherry pick and straw man.

Now let me tell you something. I never played college football. But I've watched plenty of it the past few decades. I have seen players like Shamier get a chance to play, the light comes on, and they turn into players. I've also seen it never happen.

The guy has physical tools. The same for Whitehurst. Whether they turn into all stars in the NFL or not, I've seen players with the same sort of ability turn into guys who catch a ton of passes at the college level.

The same for Roland, but for all the opportunities he's been given, he has never really delivered.

Now you may gather, I don't regard you as an end all, be all expert. This snippet of an Eagles' song sums it up:

"I'm making records
My fans they can't wait
They write me letters
Tell me I'm great"

Dayum dude, the offseason has been pretty brutal on you hasn't it? I know, now that our baseball season is over, I'm getting awful grouchy.

FYI, C2 willingly provides information and it's usually pretty good. Its a hell of a lot better than anything I can provide and I, as well as others, appreciate it. I appreciate your point of view too. Saying that, I don't much appreciate gamecocks cutting on other gamecocks just because they think their opinion is better. This is not a competition; its an exchange of information without risk of losing employment or money.

Lighten up and enjoy the opposing views. Throw out some sarcasm once in a while and throw the BS flag without getting personal. Its all for entertainment.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #44
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Cover2, did you say something mean?
As far as Whitehurst's role this year, I suspect he will be anxious to get on the fast track to earning playing time because of the short time left and the interruptions. If they ask him to return kicks, run reverses, or hold the tackling dummy, I suspect he will jump on it.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #45
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:

"I'm making records
My fans they can't wait
They write me letters
Tell me I'm great"

For the record that's a Joe Walsh song, not an Eagles song.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #46
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

sunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
For the record that's a Joe Walsh song, not an Eagles song.
I'll be d*mn*d, but you are right. I just pulled out some of my Eagles albums looking for it, found it on Eagles Live.

And I knew I found the lyrics on some site, and it said "Eagles."

But I googled it too, and found out it was originally just a Joe Walsh song.

I am not really sure I have ever heard the Joe Walsh original version though. Unless the one you hear on oldies radio is his version, and not the one he does with the Eagles.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #47
USCfootball
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 116336
USCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervous

Can Kane punt?
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #48
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 997672
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCfootball View Post
Can Kane punt?

Best post of this entire thread. Points sir!
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #49
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

This thread sucked the second someone mentioned the Eagles.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:23 AM   #50
ZenUSC
Starter

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I don't see how Byrd and Jones are going to lead the team in receptions when they play the same receiving spot.

You speak of all these receivers that are going to get their chances when in reality only 3 or 4 of them are going to get substantial snaps. That is going to be Roland, Byrd, and Cooper with Jones mixing in. The remaining two receivers in the 6 man rotation might be lucky to get 15 balls all year. That's 2 game day spots for Whitehurst, Jeffery, Brent, Fuller, and Samuel (I agree, he will play this year) to fight it out. Also, I'd bet anything that Mike Davis will have 40 catches this year if he is healthy.
You are talking about how Connor Shaw distributed the ball. DT will be throwing more
ZenUSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #51
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2178
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Interested in hearing educated projections about what Whitehurst's role will be in 2014. I haven't heard much about him this offseason and his skill set intrigues me.
ST contributor. Maybe some mop up. Hopefully, he is beaten out by Jeffery.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:49 AM   #52
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

What has really killed Whitehurst is missing those back to back springs while nursing injuries. Who the heck knows what he could do if he could stay healthy instead of playing catch up with the other WRs when fall rolls around? He has blazing speed and he established a bit of chemistry with Thompson last season. Dylan likes to chunk it deep, and Whitehurst can get behind a defense. Two or three big plays could quickly lead to more playing time. It may not happen, but it would be a shame not to have the second fastest player on our entire roster on the field at least often enough to create additional big play opportunities.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:50 AM   #53
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

shaq 16 catches 290 yards 4 td
bruce 18 catches 307 yards 3 td

over the last 5 games shaq was arguably our best receiver. the stats above dont include the deep catch he made that was wiped out by a bad call yet gained a pass interference call in our favor on the play. or what appeared to be a great grab on a fade vs florida that appeared to be wiped out by a bad call. not only is he ready to be our no.1 guy, i think hes primed for an all sec caliber season.

as long as kane doesnt get passed up by a frosh who shows more playmaking ability, kane will find a role in our receiver rotation.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:01 AM   #54
ZenUSC
Starter

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Im hoping KW and Byrd are back as gunners on special teams. They both are stars at that position.
ZenUSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:25 PM   #55
Cockfanga
Walk On

Male

Cockfanga has hatched from the shell

Six passes thrown to him....4 catches...2 TD's....pretty dang good average. I heard but that he hurt his foot last season - and could still fly. Surgery this off season once it got worse. It's going to be interesting to see what happens this season if he's full speed. I see him contributing a good bit. Hopefully Byrd didn't lose any speed with his knee - that's a lot of speed between the two...Thunder and Lightning! Go Cocks!
Cockfanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #56
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

shhhhhhh!!! Stop talking about our secret weapon!
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #57
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2462144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I'd like to see if he can return punts/kickoffs
Old 07-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #58
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock View Post
Dillion will throw to Cane more than Connar did.
Dylan has said he has a good report with Whitehurst. I think Kane could be a nice slot man. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a solid season which would be 20-30 catches, 5 TD's.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #59
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockfanga View Post
Six passes thrown to him....4 catches...2 TD's....pretty dang good average. I heard but that he hurt his foot last season - and could still fly. Surgery this off season once it got worse. It's going to be interesting to see what happens this season if he's full speed. I see him contributing a good bit. Hopefully Byrd didn't lose any speed with his knee - that's a lot of speed between the two...Thunder and Lightning! Go Cocks!
Did he have hands surgery too? Its not that he has terrible hands, but receivers are expected to catch just about everything every time.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #60
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbgamecock View Post
Did he have hands surgery too? Its not that he has terrible hands, but receivers are expected to catch just about everything every time.
4/6 doesn't count?