CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
5lbYardcock
The Yancey
b381l
StormOfTalons
18IsTheMan
bigdog2003
GSC2013
ZenUSC
evan_aggie
Do we have any shot (2777)
Carolina opens -15.5 (2051)
What changes can and (1641)
Shaw: Check Out This (1457)
Gamecock football Lo (1316)
Don't tell me we don (1282)
Gamecocks claimed an (1188)
SOS Teleconference (1096)
Tanner McEvoy should (1092)
who thinks we need a (960)
Gamecock football Long Te
What's your take on our a
Carolina opens -15.5
What changes can and will
Shaw: Check Out This Head
Labor Day Weekend Eats
The Demise of the 3-4
Mike Davis "doubtful
MLS almost ready for play
Do we have any shot again

Old 06-04-2014, 03:53 AM   #1
warriorchief
CT's 2x Favorite Tiger

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Favorite Non Gamecock Poster 
CockyCash: 1048000
warriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot material
Default What is your "go-to meal" to make an impression?

Title is self-explanatory, what is your go-to meal whenever you need to impress? Whether it be a potential relationship, your significant other of many years, in-laws, friends, co-workers, whatever.

Yancey, don't make us look too bad

warriorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:33 AM   #2
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: What is your "go-to meal" to make an impression?

French toast is what my family loves me to make for them. It's easy but it takes care to get it perfect.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:21 AM   #3
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchief View Post
Title is self-explanatory, what is your go-to meal whenever you need to impress? Whether it be a potential relationship, your significant other of many years, in-laws, friends, co-workers, whatever.

Yancey, don't make us look too bad
I would make this pork sub of my own creation, that I've named for my surname because it's very French in it's influence and as is my last name. It's great and comes with a ready made bragging point that it's an original.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:24 AM   #4
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

It depends on the person I'm impressing. I have done things like bacon wrapped meatloaf and spinach roulade and Pork Wellington and risotto for women who wanted something "fancy". For potluck dinners I've brought things like the crack dip I mentioned in another thread as well as a smoky cheddar and bacon cheeseball. If dessert is what is expected, nobody who likes cheesecake will be disappointed by my version which is a very dense NY style. My wife's family goes nuts over my mashed potatoes, but her grandfather says he could probably live off of my collard greens.

I have a very delicious meatball recipe that my wife's German grandmother showed me, and everyone really enjoys that. I also make one very tasty and very popular copycat of Olive Garden's zuppa toscana. Generally a 4 gallon pot of that will only last a few days after the friends and family are done fighting over the leftovers.

Really I just cook whatever flows with the people and the setting. I know ahead of time that most yankees will scoff at my bourbon-flambé shrimp and cheese grits while the southerners will devour it. The good thing is I can cook or bake just about anything anyone wants, so it works out well when I'm trying to impress with food. Just don't ask me to fry chicken for you, because I don't think I do it very well.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

CockyCash: 200
eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree

Any excuse I can find to break out the smoker. Just finished off the last of this from my Memorial Day party.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #6
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

A tall cold glass of pickle juice.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Fried chicken tenders, sushi rice, and asparagus. I have perfected all three. Takes about an hour.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #8
etowngangsta
Challenge accepted.

Male

CockyCash: 26065800
etowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot material

I just make her a bowl of cereal or hand her a pop tart as she is walking out the door the next morning...
etowngangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
etowngangsta
Challenge accepted.

Male

CockyCash: 26065800
etowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot material

Ribeye medium rare with my marinade cooked over charcoal. Asparagus and twice baked potatoes. If it's cold out chicken and rice or home made chicken noodle soup.
etowngangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #10
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightohhthree View Post
Any excuse I can find to break out the smoker. Just finished off the last of this from my Memorial Day party.
Dang, man. It's too early for this!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #11
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Fajitas and homemade guacamole

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #12
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

A. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPit

breakfast foods. always breakfast foods.
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #13
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

1: BBQ. My smoker will do things you just can't do any other way. I would do pulled pork for a gathering if I had time. Smoked meatballs if I need something in a few hours.

2: Grilled avocados. Can be done just as easily on the stove. Halve and pit avocado. Brush with fresh lemon. Season heavily. I prefer a Greek seasoning. Put cut side down on a hot grill or lightly oiled non stick pan. Flip onto medium part of grill after a few minutes after it gets some browning. Fill pit with either salsa and shredded Mexican cheeses or feta in a garlicky raita. Close lid or pour an inch of water in the pan and cover. After 3-5 minutes the cheese will be melted and the avocado heated through. Remove and serve. Flambe' with either tequila or brandy table side.

Want a light dessert that is perfect for summer? My mother made these for me back in the 50s-60s. http://www.snackworks.com/recipe/fam...oll-53331.aspx

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #14
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

CockyCash: 490
HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by etowngangsta View Post
I just make her a bowl of cereal or hand her a pop tart as she is walking out the door the next morning...
Hey that is my dish!
Old 06-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #15
Woody7687
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Woody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talons

Anytime I want to impress anyone, I break out all the stops and smoke a few racks or baby backs. Never had anyone leave hungry and not impressed so I would have to say they would be my go to.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #16
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

1. Seared duck breast with a cherry reduction sauce
2. Steak au poivre with cognac cream sauce
3. Pan seared scallops over asparagus and green pea risotto

I've got various side dishes I can make to go with all of the above plus several interesting salads, apps and desserts that I make.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #17
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

I normally go for one of my fav comfort food recipes. Easy, but good and usually the guest haven't had it before.

Mexican Corn Bread

Ground Beef cooked in a taco seasoning, or similar. with onions and garlic if you like. Then mix in some grated mature cheddar.

Corn Bread mix with a can of creamed corn mix through.- Half of it in lightly greased casserole dish and add the beef mixture, . Then add the rest of the grated cheese and top that off with the other half of the corn bread mix.(stir it up again before topping up to mix up the corn)

Bake it at about 325 until nice and light brown on top.

Serve it with a salad with your favorite dressing

Might as well keep it easy and good and serve up fudge brownies with vanilla ice cream afterwards.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #18
CockyFanForLife
Recruit

Female

CockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Want a light dessert that is perfect for summer? My mother made these for me back in the 50s-60s. http://www.snackworks.com/recipe/fam...oll-53331.aspx

I remember your mom's chocolate roll! Also her rolls, pulled mints, watermelon rind pickles, etc. Also your dad made killer cocktail sauce! Miss them both!
CockyFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #19
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Chicken under a brick is a fairly easy but delicious meal to make as well. Just do not do it on the grill. Use a cast iron skillet and the oven.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #20
TheUniversityofSC
NSA Agent

Male

TheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
A tall cold glass of pickle juice.
Mmmmmmmm