CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kevhugh
AtlGAMECOCK
usc90grad
cockybreeyan
soccerguy79
Yearofthegamecock
cockyguitar
Cockypantherfan
BlakelyH19
Gamecocks1137
A&M vent thread (15350)
SOS is pissed (7682)
I think the Gamecock (2986)
Jimmies and Joes (2470)
Man of my word (no t (2178)
I'm not looking forw (1802)
Here is the trophy f (1796)
Worst Beating since? (1769)
Good effort Cocks (1581)
Just a friendly PSA (1254)
SOS is pissed
A&M vent thread
Just a friendly PSA
Predict the Season (After
Remember what Lou Holtz u
So, Dylan Thompson?
I hate a thief
Lorenzo Ward's Play calli
Carolina Fans
Here's a terrifying stat

Old 06-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #41
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material
Default Re: Vic "The Bandit" Hampton

It's sad that our own fans hold a grudge against a player for deciding to go pro. It's their life, not yours. Hampton is, if anything, a great turn around story. From what I remember the staff took a risk on him and it paid off many times over. You can't fault a 22 or so year old for making the choice to go to the draft. Some people really seem to take it personally, which is sad. Any of these detractors talking about how he's trouble and doesn't deserve it would want him back in a Carolina jersey in a heartbeat.

It hurt to find out how far Quelcy and Vic dropped, I hate it for them. I wish there was a way for them to be drafted and then decide if they wanted to return. It sucks for these guys to be kind of left out in the cold like that, especially given how the NFL is their dream and even the chance of getting drafted is like a lotto ticket, given where a lot of these guys come from.
thekob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #42
TonyVercetti
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
TonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervous

Vic is a good guy. I dont know him on a best friend status. But i talked to him when he was in tampa. He was excited. I feel bad for him. Good guy
TonyVercetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #43
militarymind17
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 490
militarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
What's with all the bashing of Vic? How about support the guy and wish him luck.
I agree. Some of you are harsh! Victor is a Gamecock through and through. Smh@ some of the comments! Shame!Shame! Shame!
militarymind17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #44
black_magic85
Walk On

Male

black_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervousblack_magic85 is making other chickens nervous

Vic is a good guy and really changed his ways after his first year here. Really sad to see him go, but his IG is full of vids of him training and trying to make the best of things. Hopefully he will keep it up and work his way onto an NFL roster. As "fans" we shouldn't bash guys that gave blood, sweat and tears for the Garnet and Black. If anything, we should appreciate that they chose to play ball here.
black_magic85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:50 PM   #45
CockyInSeattle
4-Star

Male

CockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
I wish there was a way for them to be drafted and then decide if they wanted to return.
This. The problem is they can get advice about coming out, but that ranking is dependent on an unknown as to how many players are coming out early. They can tell you that your the third best player against the senior class, but not know the eventual field you're competing against.

Players should have the right to see what their current earning potential is without having to give up their last year as a college player.

If players get a union, I think this will be one of the first rules to be challenged.
CockyInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #46
TaiwanCock
Recruit

Male

TaiwanCock has hatched from the shell

Good luck with the Giants, Vic.

New York Giants Will Host Former South Carolina CB Victor Hampton for a Visit Next Week
TaiwanCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #47
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyInSeattle View Post
This. The problem is they can get advice about coming out, but that ranking is dependent on an unknown as to how many players are coming out early. They can tell you that your the third best player against the senior class, but not know the eventual field you're competing against.

Players should have the right to see what their current earning potential is without having to give up their last year as a college player.

If players get a union, I think this will be one of the first rules to be challenged.
What do you do with the kid that's on campus using the scholarship that the player that left vacated? Do you tell him sorry try somewhere else?

This happens to multiple guys every year including some players who are told they won't be drafted but leave anyway. It sucks for them but they aren't forced into the decision and they have to live with the consequences of the decision good or bad.

If Hampton is good enough he'll make a squad somewhere. If he's not then he won't and nothing changes. There is no gaurantee that simply coming back and being a senior next year would have changed his draft status at all.
Dizzy01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #48
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
What do you do with the kid that's on campus using the scholarship that the player that left vacated? Do you tell him sorry try somewhere else?

This happens to multiple guys every year including some players who are told they won't be drafted but leave anyway. It sucks for them but they aren't forced into the decision and they have to live with the consequences of the decision good or bad.

If Hampton is good enough he'll make a squad somewhere. If he's not then he won't and nothing changes. There is no gaurantee that simply coming back and being a senior next year would have changed his draft status at all.
I agree. Giving players the ability to declare for the draft and come back would be a terrible idea. It was their decision to go pro and they were aware of the risks. Allowing that to happen would only mean more players declaring for the draft.

I've also heard people suggest that the final date to declare should be moved back to after the combine, which would give players a better idea on where they would get drafted by attending the combine. I find this to be another terrible idea because it would just mean almost every junior would attend the combine in preparation for next year's draft. And by that happening, a lot of seniors wouldn't be selected to attend the combine, being a selective event.

My suggestion to the issue is to have employees on the NFL draft advisory committee that are able to meet with players in person and discuss why they received the grade they did and answer any questions they have. You are not going to get rid of the contact from agents, but giving the players a more professional contact with a NFL draft advisory employee would definitely help the players make a more accurate decision.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #49
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Best thing you can do is to allow players to come back to finish their education on scholly, but their eligibility is done.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #50
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
Best thing you can do is to allow players to come back to finish their education on scholly, but their eligibility is done.
If the scholarship wouldn't count toward the 85 limit (or whatever it is), then I would be cool with that.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #51
granicock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 448
granicock is sharpening his clawsgranicock is sharpening his clawsgranicock is sharpening his clawsgranicock is sharpening his claws

People don't know about the things I say and do, they don't understand about the shit that I've been through.
granicock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #52
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

hope he makes it to their roster.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #53
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_magic85 View Post
Vic is a good guy and really changed his ways after his first year here. Really sad to see him go, but his IG is full of vids of him training and trying to make the best of things. Hopefully he will keep it up and work his way onto an NFL roster. As "fans" we shouldn't bash guys that gave blood, sweat and tears for the Garnet and Black. If anything, we should appreciate that they chose to play ball here.

You know the score here man.

If they are on the team, they are our boys.

Once they leave, they are just common, selfish stupid thugs. /sarcasm
Old 06-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #54
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser24 View Post
If the scholarship wouldn't count toward the 85 limit (or whatever it is), then I would be cool with that.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Schollys for guys and gals that have used their eligibility but did not get their degree. These guys could fall under that and it would help folks out. Maybe even folks that go pro and then come back for their degrees after their careers are over. Could be need based, or just at the descretion of the AD, President, or whatever. Just spitballing a bunch of ideas that, but you get the point. Might lessen the meltdown of a bad decision.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #55
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

Jay Philips@JayPhilips10753h
A source close to the #Gamecocks FB program has told me CB Vic Hampton will now work out for the Bengals next week, not the Giants.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:44 PM   #56
CockyInSeattle
4-Star

Male

CockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPit

So how exactly does it work for college baseball players and the MLB?
CockyInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #57
gocockswyn
Starter

Female

gocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudly

Hope it works out for him
gocockswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #58
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyInSeattle View Post
So how exactly does it work for college baseball players and the MLB?
They are drafted now and have until August 15(or around there) to decide if they'll take the deal.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #59
4gamecockfb
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
You get what you put in and people get what they deserve.
Still I ain't seen mine, no I ain't seen mine
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #60
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser24 View Post
Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Schollys for guys and gals that have used their eligibility but did not get their degree. These guys could fall under that and it would help folks out. Maybe even folks that go pro and then come back for their degrees after their careers are over. Could be need based, or just at the descretion of the AD, President, or whatever. Just spitballing a bunch of ideas that, but you get the point. Might lessen the meltdown of a bad decision.

Yeah, because with so many of these guys leaving early and going undrafted we should be encouraging more of them to leave early. Forget personal accountability and all of that nonsense. They know the risks when they declare. If they don't make a team it's on them. If they want to go back to school they can take out a student loan like the rest of us.