CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
ReadR00ster
Gamecocks1137
cocksmith1or11
Badazcock
Gamecockswag
Regalcock
The Yancey
conwaycock2
ESPN Game Day Commen (1329)
Simple "yes&quo (1190)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1001)
Phil Steele just pre (874)
The Comeback & T (747)
TeMarcus Blanton (551)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (545)
Garcia: Change the R (510)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
Wallpaper & Back (235)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Miss St vs. Kentucky
TeMarcus Blanton
Remember, SEC is weird
Garcia: Change the Rules
Simple "yes" or
Best place to watch the g
Phil Steele just predicte
Where in Seattle
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti

Old 06-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #61
d20636
Haven't seen your acid...

Male

CockyCash: 1360
d20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Baseball Reflection & Outlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Same thing I said after that game.
Joey really did cost us that game.
His error allowed two to score, then he choked in the ninth with runners in scoring position (like the rest of the lineup choked in the 6th, 7th, 8th).

Take away the error, Carolina wins 3-2 and is likely in the supers.
Bullshit.

It's called a TEAM sport for a reason. Pankake wasn't the only one that could have driven in an RBI in the 9th - "If only Mooney hadn't struck out"...BS.

Maybe my memory's getting really bad as I get old, but it seems RBI's weren't only allowed in the 9th. There were 7 LOB after Pankake's error in the 2nd.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #62
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilson View Post
With respect. Maryland did not beat us. We lost to Maryland. Big difference and is where most of the angst is coming from. When we give them enough runs to win on throwing errors, hit about .125 with RISP, we didn't get beat, we lost. We can handle getting beat, not losing. That seemed to be the norm this year against good opposition. I love Joey Pankake, but, god bless him, he choked in just about every pressure situation he was in this year.
Dont sound like a tater, when you step back you have to tip your cap, they pitched well amd hit well. The first night was a good game, their pitcher dealed and they had timely hits, the second game they played great defense and hit well

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #63
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
I'm telling ya...we pissed off the uniform mojo God early in the season not wearing Yankee Grays up there. Yes we won the game, but they made it WAY too interesting.
Im interested in this theory haha, where, and why is it bad?

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #64
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
I'm telling ya...we pissed off the uniform mojo God early in the season not wearing Yankee Grays up there. Yes we won the game, but they made it WAY too interesting.
Haha! That is the Dodger Blue in you....Tanner rocked those unis many a time, with good results.... But u know that, already
Old 06-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #65
Latti
Uscooper

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Latti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
Dont sound like a tater, when you step back you have to tip your cap, they pitched well amd hit well. The first night was a good game, their pitcher dealed and they had timely hits, the second game they played great defense and hit well

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read his post. He Almost quoted what they said about our game last November
Latti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #66
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
Game one was a combination of solid play from maryland, aided by South Carolina miscues and the inability to get a big hit.

Game two, Maryland kicked the crap out of us.

I will say however, had Joey not botched that throw in the first inning, I think USC pulls that one out. But the great thing about baseball is there is always a chance to atone for your mistake, and Joey had the chance and failed.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #67
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

Our defense this year was not as good as it needs to be. Pankake is a team player. He probably was our worst glove at short last year that we'd had there in years. Playing 3rd Joey did better because it's more reaction based. He's more of an outfielder I believe, but played where he was put. Saying all that, I'm a PANKAKE fan ! He always gave 100 %. The 1st game Sunday was hot and might of drained our guys a little giving Maryland an edge. I sat behind the dugout and the Maryland pitchers off speed stuff was nasty ! We had our chances but, giving up 10 runs you can't expect to win. Hitting has to improve period. We have to hit with more power . Some teams this year played us rather shallow in the outfield daring us to hit it over them. With all of that said, with all the injuries this team did OK. Certainly not GREAT , but OK.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:31 AM   #68
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD View Post
Our defense this year was not as good as it needs to be. Pankake is a team player. He probably was our worst glove at short last year that we'd had there in years. Playing 3rd Joey did better because it's more reaction based. He's more of an outfielder I believe, but played where he was put. Saying all that, I'm a PANKAKE fan ! He always gave 100 %. The 1st game Sunday was hot and might of drained our guys a little giving Maryland an edge. I sat behind the dugout and the Maryland pitchers off speed stuff was nasty ! We had our chances but, giving up 10 runs you can't expect to win. Hitting has to improve period. We have to hit with more power . Some teams this year played us rather shallow in the outfield daring us to hit it over them. With all of that said, with all the injuries this team did OK. Certainly not GREAT , but OK.
Dont need power to be successful. Look at Vanderbilt, that team will nickle and dime the hell of you. Need better plate approach, and better production with runners on base.

Gene Cone looks like he might have a nack for it, hopefully next year he gets a legit shot.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #69
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by d20636 View Post
Bullshit.

It's called a TEAM sport for a reason. Pankake wasn't the only one that could have driven in an RBI in the 9th - "If only Mooney hadn't struck out"...BS.

Maybe my memory's getting really bad as I get old, but it seems RBI's weren't only allowed in the 9th. There were 7 LOB after Pankake's error in the 2nd.
I said the rest of the lineup choked.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #70
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
Game one was a combination of solid play from maryland, aided by South Carolina miscues and the inability to get a big hit.

Game two, Maryland kicked the crap out of us.

I will say however, had Joey not botched that throw in the first inning, I think USC pulls that one out. But the great thing about baseball is there is always a chance to atone for your mistake, and Joey had the chance and failed.
Exactly my point earlier.
He could've atoned for it, but instead hit the ball the one place it could not go to end the game.
Two-time National Champs

Old 06-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #71
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
Dont need power to be successful. Look at Vanderbilt, that team will nickle and dime the hell of you. Need better plate approach, and better production with runners on base.

Gene Cone looks like he might have a nack for it, hopefully next year he gets a legit shot.
Great point.
We don't need moonshooters (though it would be nice).
The game is now all about hitting doubles and getting the clutch hit.
We simply need guys who can be smart at the plate, work pitchers and hit gap to gap. Also, got to score runners when they get to second or third.
Two-time National Champs

Old 06-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #72
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilson View Post
With respect. Maryland did not beat us. We lost to Maryland. Big difference and is where most of the angst is coming from. When we give them enough runs to win on throwing errors, hit about .125 with RISP, we didn't get beat, we lost. We can handle getting beat, not losing. That seemed to be the norm this year against good opposition. I love Joey Pankake, but, god bless him, he choked in just about every pressure situation he was in this year.
This is Clemson logic.

The other x-factor here is that Maryland wanted it more. This season was the first time they had even one a tournament game since 1970. I think we just had a rough day, and once we let them get ahead the writing was on the wall.

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #73
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

I guess Seddon will truly go after this season, and he did have a great season, ending as one of the top closers in college baseball. But somehow he doesn't strike me as the prototypical closer in the pros. I would like to see him come back next season and become a weekend starter for us along with Crowe and Wynkoop, and let Mincey develop into our closer. But it probably won't happen. I also think Scott will develop into a solid weekend starter, plus we still have a few solid arms from last class and incoming in this class who will all have a say....

Our pitching should be fine for next year and beyond IMO, but we need to improve on our hitting - not necessarily power hitting as the game doesn't really require it these days but more reliable hitting - improved BA, OBP, and RISP results...
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #74
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
This is Clemson logic.

The other x-factor here is that Maryland wanted it more. This season was the first time they had even one a tournament game since 1970. I think we just had a rough day, and once we let them get ahead the writing was on the wall.
Sports cliches for the win!

davidmc467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #75
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

When teams can bring the outfield in some ,not respecting a teams ability to make them move back, the little singles have less area to drop. I didn't say we need a bunch of bombers, just to hit with more power. How many triples did we have this year? Vanderbilt is built to play on the type field they have at home. Speed, pitching and defense. I didn't include pitch selection figuring it was something we all scream and wonder about constantly. While this team had some monumental come from behind wins, run production was lacking.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #76
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
I guess Seddon will truly go after this season, and he did have a great season, ending as one of the top closers in college baseball. But somehow he doesn't strike me as the prototypical closer in the pros. I would like to see him come back next season and become a weekend starter for us along with Crowe and Wynkoop, and let Mincey develop into our closer. But it probably won't happen. I also think Scott will develop into a solid weekend starter, plus we still have a few solid arms from last class and incoming in this class who will all have a say....

Our pitching should be fine for next year and beyond IMO, but we need to improve on our hitting - not necessarily power hitting as the game doesn't really require it these days but more reliable hitting - improved BA, OBP, and RISP results...
Fully agree.
I think our pitching will be good and deep again next year..really excited to see the growth of guys like Widener, Scott, Reagan, Fiori and Vogel. Crowe is our No. 1 starter...and I'm still running with Wynkoop at 2...No. 3 could go to anyone, but I'm looking at Britt, Parke and Koumas as early favorites...but I think Destino could come in and take it if he comes to school.

Defense I think will be better with Arendas, Mooney and Schrock...first base will be a question...could be Widener, could be Steagal or could move a guy like Pike or Matt Williams over there.

Catcher is also an issue...but I think Jared Martin and Logan Koch can platoon similar to Robert Beary and Brady Thomas.

Outfield I'm not worried about with Caldwell, Cone, Maxwell, Madden and Scolamiero vying for spots.

As you said, we don't need power hits, we need timely hitters that can get balls in the gap and string some hits together...home runs are nice, but to me, a way to really demoralize a pitcher is to string 3-4 runs together off base hits.
Two-time National Champs

Old 06-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #77
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

No more rabbits. The turtles won.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #78
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit

Our pitching might be a strength of next years team, in terms of talent and depth.

Curt Britt, Canaan Cropper, Wil Crowe, Cody Mincey, John Parke, Josh Reagan, Reed Scott, Joel Seddon, Matt Vogel, Taylor Widener, and Jack Wynkoop all will come back more then likely and are very talented enough to win us some ball games.

Add in freshmen Alex Destino, Junior Harding, and Brandon Muarry your looking at plenty of talented arms. They will be young but talented. If any pitching coach in the country can get the most from our staff it will be Jerry Myers.
lilhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:14 PM   #79
GamecockDad1531
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot material

Watching the supers has me super disappointed the gamecocks aren't still playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GamecockDad1531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #80
No Curse
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2504
No Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockDad1531 View Post
Watching the supers has me super disappointed the gamecocks aren't still playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh don't you know it. When I see the teams that are in it, it really disappoints me that we are not still around
No Curse is offline   Reply With Quote