CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
GamecockSuperFan
robgusc76
cocks are us
El Cid Ranger
taylorssc
jellafever
johnnyb
GarnetSwarm1990
A. Pilgrim
BLACK OUT!!!!!!! (2064)
Jimbo Fisher Blames (957)
Ole Miss Fan's Milk- (829)
Herbstreit on " (819)
Little know stat (We (776)
SEC QB's in the Red (775)
Gamecockology Helms (704)
2013 Georgia vs. 201 (647)
Gif Sharing Time!!!! (409)
Where do you like to (339)
We're going to the NCAA T
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
NFL: REDSKINS @ COWBOYS M
For all the uniform junki
Gamecockology Helms
Where do you like to sit
Little know stat (Week 10
Anyone have a recipe I ca
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTING
Sports no longer fun?

Old 06-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #21
warriorchief
CT's 2x Favorite Tiger

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Favorite Non Gamecock Poster 
CockyCash: 1048000
warriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot material
Default Re: What is your "go-to meal" to make an impression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
1. Seared duck breast with a cherry reduction sauce
2. Steak au poivre with cognac cream sauce
3. Pan seared scallops over asparagus and green pea risotto

I've got various side dishes I can make to go with all of the above plus several interesting salads, apps and desserts that I make.
Absolutely LOVE making that. Which cut of beef and which cognac do you use?

Also, would you PM me that duck breast recipe? That sounds really damn good.

warriorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #22
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyFanForLife View Post
I remember your mom's chocolate roll! Also her rolls, pulled mints, watermelon rind pickles, etc. Also your dad made killer cocktail sauce! Miss them both!
I still feel the pain of the burns on my hands from pulling those hot mints!

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:36 PM   #23
Cockypantherfan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Not as refined as a lot of the dishes listed but I can make a good pork tenderloin with sautéed brussel sprouts. I like cooking but have yet to get to another level so to speak. I don't make any fancy sauces or reductions.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:57 PM   #24
boowilliam4
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talons

wake up and roll over after a drunken night in the vista, If she looks like...

Wife material-Ham/turkey omelet with a ton of cheese and some bacon on the side.

GF material-Ham/turkey omelet with a ton of cheese and some bacon on the side.

One night stand material-Omelet with some cheese and her shoes so she can leave.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #25
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 225747
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

People have always loved my lasagna. I don't do anything special except buy the more expensive ingredients at the grocery store.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:17 AM   #26
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Shrimp and Grits, or I usually do some kind of grilled chicken Usually with a homemade BBQ sauce or something like it, and grilled corn with a few twists I add to it.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #27
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchief View Post
Absolutely LOVE making that. Which cut of beef and which cognac do you use?

Also, would you PM me that duck breast recipe? That sounds really damn good.

I've used ribeye and strip but like it the best with filet. Although, last week I tried a new techinque that I saw on America's Test Kitchen...

Cut a 1 lb 1.5 in thick ribeye in half and tie up both cuts so they look like filet. pat dry and season liberally. Place them on a wire rack over a pan in a 275 degree oven. Bake for 25 minutes. Use meat thermometer to test for temp (should be 90-95 degrees). Sear them in a smoking hot castiron skillet for about 1.5 - 2 minutes per side. The steak takes on the nutty flavor of a dry aged steak and is the closest thing I've every cooked to a steakhouse quality steak.

I'll get back to you on the duck recipe. I have it written down at the house. I know you cook shallots in the duck fat, hit it with some port, and reduce it with some dried cherries and chicken stock. It's also important how you cook the duck too. It's more of a slow sear to render the fast as opposed to a fast hot sear like you do for a steak. Also be sure to save the rendered fat. It can keep for at least 1 month and is great for roasting potatoes.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #28
rdwylie
My safe word is whiskey.

Male

rdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot material

I do not think I have Yancey's BBQ making chops, but I do that pretty well.

THIS is really good too.

Romano's Macaroni Grill Nachos Napoli
Ingredients
o 7 ounces wonton wrappers ( about 1/3 a packet)
o canola oil
o 1/3 cup fully cooked Italian sausage, crumbled
o 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
o 1/2 cup fresh tomato, diced
o 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives or 1/4 cup any black olives
o 1/4 cup chopped scallion
o 6 -8 slices banana peppers ( use as much or as little as you'd like, they are in the pickle section of the grocery store)

Asiago cream sauce
o 2 tablespoons cornstarch
o 2 tablespoons water
o 2 cups heavy whipping cream
o 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
o 1 1/2 cups shredded asiago cheese

Directions
1. Stack the wonton wrappers and slice into 3-4 sections lengthwise and then cut each strip 3 more times to make little rectangles or chips.
2. Deep fry in hot canola oil till light golden brown, drain on paper towels and set aside.

3. Cheese sauce:.
4. Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl, then add granules; set aside.
5. In a sauce pan heat the cream.
6. Slowly add cornstarch mixture, mix till thick and slowly add in cheese.
7. Stir till cheese is totally melted and then turn heat to low and stir occasionally.
8. Place the chips on a plate and sprinkle with1/2 the mozzarella cheese.
9. Dot the top with about 2/3 c hot cheese sauce.
10. Sprinkle all other ingredients evenly over the top.
11. Sprinkle with as much remaining mozzarella cheese as desired.
12. Serve while hot.
13. Cheese sauce makes about 3 cups.

Servings are for a meal, for an appetizer it would feed around 2-4 people.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #29
rdwylie
My safe word is whiskey.

Male

rdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot material

dry-aged ribeye and loaded twice baked potato.....
Old 06-05-2014, 11:36 PM   #30
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
I've used ribeye and strip but like it the best with filet. Although, last week I tried a new techinque that I saw on America's Test Kitchen...

Cut a 1 lb 1.5 in thick ribeye in half and tie up both cuts so they look like filet. pat dry and season liberally. Place them on a wire rack over a pan in a 275 degree oven. Bake for 25 minutes. Use meat thermometer to test for temp (should be 90-95 degrees). Sear them in a smoking hot castiron skillet for about 1.5 - 2 minutes per side. The steak takes on the nutty flavor of a dry aged steak and is the closest thing I've every cooked to a steakhouse quality steak.

I'll get back to you on the duck recipe. I have it written down at the house. I know you cook shallots in the duck fat, hit it with some port, and reduce it with some dried cherries and chicken stock. It's also important how you cook the duck too. It's more of a slow sear to render the fast as opposed to a fast hot sear like you do for a steak. Also be sure to save the rendered fat. It can keep for at least 1 month and is great for roasting potatoes.
Those sound delicious. Would love to try those, but I'm not a very good cook and would probably mess them up terribly.

As for my "go to" meal, it would have to be grilled ribeye steak seasoned with salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder. Steak grilled to medium-rare for guests unless they ask for a different doneness. Grill some corn on the cob and have a steamed veggie mix for sides.

I've been told that I also do a pretty good marinated pork tenderloin rotisseried on the grill. Posted pictures of that back in my Thanksgiving thread.
markymark550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #31
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightohhthree View Post
Any excuse I can find to break out the smoker. Just finished off the last of this from my Memorial Day party.
can I be your friend......
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote