CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
TheUniversityofSC
Bed Sores
dixiecock
b381l
Cockhornleghorn
TAFC 5 1981
Gamecocks1137
Aggie96
garnet_black215
Skai Moore not start (2347)
Paul Finebaum heaps (2136)
Unreal Article from (1916)
Conflict with Aggies (1664)
Devonte Returning (1533)
Elliott Fry (1530)
New JK Video Imminen (1361)
Lattimore out more 6 (1102)
Brandon Allen's truc (1025)
Kirk Herbstreit on t (747)
Conflict with Aggies on t
Would you rather: Beat Cl
Skai Moore not starting a
New JK Video Imminent! :)
Carolina Calls 8\26
The 3-4
Connor Shaw Browns
Tanner McEvoy to start fo
Devonte Returning
2015 Greyshirt - Darin Sm

Old 06-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material
Default Smoking Butt: Fat Up or Down?

I've tried both ways and not sure I can tell a difference. Any real reason why some stick to one way or another?

I haven't smoked a butt in quite a few years but will be doing 2 this weekend.

Still haven't decided on whether I will inject or not either.

Likely going to just lather in mustard and coat with rub. Start at 8am and hope it is done by 6pm, although of course temp will determine that...I just have people showing up at 6pm ready to eat!

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material
Default Re: Smoking Butt: Fat Up or Down?

I know some people swear by it one way or the other, but like you I dont tell that much of a difference. However, in my experience as a dry rubber...when fat is up the dry rub tends to not have a good bark.

I like that good 1/8" near char bark on the outside.

Will be following this, just dont ask Cack...he's an elitist snob...and sucks at Call of Duty....:trollface:
Old 06-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Yeah, I am wondering how much it affects the bark. On mine, the bark is usually dark all over...then I see some online photos of smokes from others and they have spotted bark with what I would call more of a "redness/well done" look. I wondered if maybe the fat up/down was causing that.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Beano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his comb

I always go fat side up,but I've never really gave the other way a try.I use a rub on the outside and inject with fruit juices to keep it moist.13 1/2 hrs at 225 degrees.
Beano Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1706674488
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

fat side up, the theory is that this will allow the juices from the fat to flow thru/over the meat and kind of "self baste" to keep it more moist.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

I use Apple cider vinegar or Dr Pepper anyways.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

CockyCash: 200
eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
fat side up, the theory is that this will allow the juices from the fat to flow thru/over the meat and kind of "self baste" to keep it more moist.
This
Old 06-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Yeah, I am wondering how much it affects the bark. On mine, the bark is usually dark all over...then I see some online photos of smokes from others and they have spotted bark with what I would call more of a "redness/well done" look. I wondered if maybe the fat up/down was causing that.

What temp do you cook at, that could be a factor. Fat up or down shouldn't have anything to do with it. Could be due to something (too much sugar) in the rub. Certain spices can also cause that. Could be caused by the heat source to close to the meat. Putting a rack on top of a steamer pan filled with liquid (I use 1/3 apple juice, 1/3 sider vinegar, 1/3 water and add a little bourbon) can help with that if you want a lighter bark. Some people kill for that dark smoky bark.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #9
sunbeam
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
sunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his comb

If you read this thread with a dirty mind, it is hilarious.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #10
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
What temp do you cook at, that could be a factor. Fat up or down shouldn't have anything to do with it. Could be due to something (too much sugar) in the rub. Certain spices can also cause that. Could be caused by the heat source to close to the meat. Putting a rack on top of a steamer pan filled with liquid (I use 1/3 apple juice, 1/3 sider vinegar, 1/3 water and add a little bourbon) can help with that if you want a lighter bark. Some people kill for that dark smoky bark.
Oh no, I DO want the darker bark...and I usually have no problem getting it.

I smoke at 230 until I get 165 internally, then I pull and foil...then put back in smoker until I hits 200 internally, then I'm done.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #11
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
I've tried both ways and not sure I can tell a difference. Any real reason why some stick to one way or another?

I haven't smoked a butt in quite a few years but will be doing 2 this weekend.

Still haven't decided on whether I will inject or not either.

Likely going to just lather in mustard and coat with rub. Start at 8am and hope it is done by 6pm, although of course temp will determine that...I just have people showing up at 6pm ready to eat!
I start with fat side down, depending on the weight flip it in an hour. Theory you get rid of the greasy fat but enuff fat to keep it juicy.
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 180386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
I start with fat side down, depending on the weight flip it in an hour. Theory you get rid of the greasy fat but enuff fat to keep it juicy.
Obligatory that's what she said
Old 06-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #13
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

All are wrong. The juiciness of pulled pork comes from melted cartilage, not fat. The correct answer is to cut that fat pad off before applying your rub. You want that flavor to get in the meat instead of riding on a slab of fat.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #14
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
All are wrong. The juiciness of pulled pork comes from melted cartilage, not fat. The correct answer is to cut that fat pad off before applying your rub. You want that flavor to get in the meat instead of riding on a slab of fat.
I like my cartilage chewy!
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:47 PM   #15
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
I don't think cartilage melts. You might be thinking of collagen perhaps?
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #16
GarnetSwarm1990
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
If you read this thread with a dirty mind, it is hilarious.
LMAO so true!
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #17
Ole Gregg
make an assessment

Male

CockyCash: 7567085
Ole Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot material

It really doesn't matter whether you turn the butt fat up or down as long as her airway is clear. Sometimes I like to turn the fat to the side when I am smoking dat butt.
w
\.
" Are you playing your love games with me? "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxaP19pY1FI
Ole Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #18
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

I do fat cap down for a couple of reasons ... 1, if you put your rub on the meat and then put it on the grate, you will leave some behind ... 2, when you leave some behind, I like leaving fat behind instead of expensive meat (and that's less you have to worry about picking out when you're pulling it ... 3, smoke is going to be near the top, so if you have fat cap up, you're just putting smoke in the fat ... that nobody is going to eat (hopefully). Fat cap down, will get smoke more in the meat, where you want it. I've also heard some do cap down as a heat barrier ... I don't think that really matters much, but have heard that as a reason/excuse.

With that said ... I really don't understand the mustard layer as a binder. I have never had a dry butt (well ... ). These cuts are sealed in the plastic with blood and all kinds of other juices. Those things are slopping wet when you take them out. If you do inject, some will spill out leaving even more moisture. The rub will stick without mustard.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #19
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
I actually used to start fat cap down, smoke till 160 internal, wrap and then flip when I put it back in. I don't wrap anymore, because I like the bark too much.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #20
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Oh no, I DO want the darker bark...and I usually have no problem getting it.

I smoke at 230 until I get 165 internally, then I pull and foil...then put back in smoker until I hits 200 internally, then I'm done.
OK, misunderstood.