CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
El Cid Ranger
WeStillOwnUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
taylorssc
USCNowAndForever
gamecockgal
SC Sandlapper
B-G
Gamecocks1137
ConwayGamecock
Interesting quotes f (2124)
Have you ever been s (1348)
Tennessee Offense Br (842)
Key for 2015 defense (832)
Women's Team Ranked (545)
Skai Moore out for U (542)
This season and recr (457)
Lebron makes Clevela (366)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (254)
For all the uniform (211)
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
***2014 Carolina Panthers
Lebron makes Cleveland re
Chances we win out now?
Skai Moore out for UT
2016 - Jovan Kinlaw
Uniforms for Tenn
Have you ever been so wro
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
We're going to the NCAA T

Old 06-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #61
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material
Default Re: Vic "The Bandit" Hampton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
Yeah, because with so many of these guys leaving early and going undrafted we should be encouraging more of them to leave early. Forget personal accountability and all of that nonsense. They know the risks when they declare. If they don't make a team it's on them. If they want to go back to school they can take out a student loan like the rest of us.
I actually agree with you on this. The reason they get scholarships in the first place is for their ability to play sports, so since that would no longer be an option, why should they still get a free ride?

And for those who may want to bring up players who sign with a school and then get injured, thus, ending their athletic career and the school still honors the scholarship, I hope you can see how it's quite different.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:54 AM   #62
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
I actually agree with you on this. The reason they get scholarships in the first place is for their ability to play sports, so since that would no longer be an option, why should they still get a free ride?
As do I. There should be no incentives provided to come back if you leave early.

This is a critical decision for any of these guys and I think Steve Spurrier has the best track: unless you are a guaranteed 1st or 2nd rd guy, stay.
There may be exceptions, especially at RB where injuries may be a higher risk, etc.

The problem I have is few seem to see the bigger picture in this....there are many other guys competing for the same roster spots, including the vets. Those draft projections are highly unreliable and I wonder if these guys leaving early don't see how steep the climb is?
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #63
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Sounds good guys. Keep it the same. That's working just peachy for the NCAA and the players, which is why there are absolutely no lawsuits or problems at the present time.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #64
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

What would happen if the NFL increased its rosters by 10-15 players?

I ask this because I think it would benefit the on-the-border kids trying to make a roster.

It would also provide more bodies for NFL teams and allow teams to rotate players in and out of game - point being that more guys in means less wear and tear on individuals (theoretically).
Old 06-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #65
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post

I ask this because I think it would benefit the on-the-border kids trying to make a roster.

It would also provide more bodies for NFL teams and allow teams to rotate players in and out of game - point being that more guys in means less wear and tear on individuals (theoretically).
If the League is serious about adding regular season games, it would make sense for them to do this. Unfortunately, if they remain at 16 regular season games, I have little faith in them adding players to rosters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #66
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
Sounds good guys. Keep it the same. That's working just peachy for the NCAA and the players, which is why there are absolutely no lawsuits or problems at the present time.
To my knowledge the current law suits have nothing to do with the issue at hand, so that is completely irrelevant. If you want to talk about working out a system like baseball where kids can declare and see what happens, then turn the NFL down and come back to school and play out their eligibility I think that would be interesting to think about. You shouldn't get a free ride to play football unless you are playing football (aside from situations involving injuries and whatnot).
Old 06-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #67
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
Well they have the practice squad players...which can be viewed as a developmental squad or "B" team.
I like your idea but maybe there are issues with bennies, retirement, etc?

They are basically beating up a handful of highly paid players and hoping they can make the playoffs with enough healthy players to win something.
Look at all the money they are paying Jadeveon...what if he gets knocked out for 5-6 games?

Perhaps they can create a "reserve" squad similar to a practice squad....with of course minimal pay, etc.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #68
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
We live in a time where you can sue someone over anything. The only one with any legitimacy is with EA who made a decision to actually plug in names in background programming. The only thing gained by that was killing the video game market so the main people impacted are the fans.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #69
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
We live in a time where you can sue someone over anything. The only one with any legitimacy is with EA who made a decision to actually plug in names in background programming. The only thing gained by that was killing the video game market so the main people impacted are the fans.

The judges that are letting lawsuits proceed to trial disagree with you on legitimacy, along with the sudden interest of the larger schools wanting to make changes to 'benefit' the student athletes.

If they were not legitimate, they would have been dismissed.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #70
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
The judges that are letting lawsuits proceed to trial disagree with you on legitimacy, along with the sudden interest of the larger schools wanting to make changes to 'benefit' the student athletes.

If they were not legitimate, they would have been dismissed.
The US Supreme Court has proven time and time again that a judges ruling does not make something legitimate. Of course they've also proven that even they make decisions opposite of the constitution and established law so it's all BS in the end.

The change in "benefit" is nothing more than an attempt to gain an even larger competitive advantage. An SEC team can afford more than a Boise State so they can move them out of the way and create less sharing options from TV revenue.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #71
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

Quote:
The US Supreme Court has proven time and time again that a judges ruling does not make something legitimate. Of course they've also proven that even they make decisions opposite of the constitution and established law so it's all BS in the end.

The change in "benefit" is nothing more than an attempt to gain an even larger competitive advantage. An SEC team can afford more than a Boise State so they can move them out of the way and create less sharing options from TV revenue.

I dsagree (respectfully). I believe the timing of it indicates an attempt to mitigate the outcomes that they see coming as the conferences are named in several suits. Hard for me to believe that schools in the PAC, BIG, SEC and BIG are worried about competing against Boise, Miami of Ohio, etc for recruits. Acc..maybe.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...yers-set-begin

Quote:
Former athletes like O'Bannon and many current athletes are no longer willing to settle for a full scholarship and the glory of the games; they are asking for their share, and they're doing so aggressively. In addition to O'Bannon's lawsuit, 24 other legal actions are pending against the NCAA, all of them seeking a sharing of wealth in one form or another. In the most dramatic of the lawsuits, often referred to as the "Kessler case," current players are seeking what was once unthinkable -- an injunction that would eliminate the NCAA's bar against paying salaries and force big-time football and basketball schools to pay players in addition to granting scholarships.
These 5 conferences are being named in the lawsuits.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #72
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
I dsagree (respectfully). I believe the timing of it indicates an attempt to mitigate the outcomes that they see coming as the conferences are named in several suits. Hard for me to believe that schools in the PAC, BIG, SEC and BIG are worried about competing against Boise, Miami of Ohio, etc for recruits. Acc..maybe.

I believe you're changing the scope of the issue. For me, I don't have a problem with letting the guys come back to school, but I do have a problem with "rewarding" them for leaving early by letting them continue to get a free education even though the reason they were given a scholarship in the first place is gone. Now if the stupid NCAA would get out of the way and allow the guys to come back and still play, that would be different, because then the school would still get the benefit of that person's athletic ability, which is the reason they had the scholarship originally. In other words, I lay all of this blame at the feet of the NCAA.

I guess I sort of think of it as awarding a student a full academic scholarship, that student making the choice to ditch class, not do assignments, and generally slack off, then that student flunks out, comes back to school, yet still gets the benefit of the academic scholarship even though he made a choice that directly affected his scholarship standing. Also, it's similar to a student being awarded a scholarship for being in a certain field of study (like biology) and then that student changes his major to something completely different such as political science. That person shouldn't continue to receive that biology scholarship if he is no longer in biology, so why should a football player continue to get a football scholarship of he can no longer play football?
Old 06-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #73
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
I believe you're changing the scope of the issue. For me, I don't have a problem with letting the guys come back to school, but I do have a problem with "rewarding" them for leaving early by letting them continue to get a free education even though the reason they were given a scholarship in the first place is gone. Now if the stupid NCAA would get out of the way and allow the guys to come back and still play, that would be different, because then the school would still get the benefit of that person's athletic ability, which is the reason they had the scholarship originally. In other words, I lay all of this blame at the feet of the NCAA.

I guess I sort of think of it as awarding a student a full academic scholarship, that student making the choice to ditch class, not do assignments, and generally slack off, then that student flunks out, comes back to school, yet still gets the benefit of the academic scholarship even though he made a choice that directly affected his scholarship standing. Also, it's similar to a student being awarded a scholarship for being in a certain field of study (like biology) and then that student changes his major to something completely different such as political science. That person shouldn't continue to receive that biology scholarship if he is no longer in biology, so why should a football player continue to get a football scholarship of he can no longer play football?
I don't see it as a reward, though I do see your point. I see it as a.."welp, you F'd up royally there...you can't play football, your scholarship is gone, you can go to school..good luck paying for it..see ya." More of a hardship and trying to avoid a story of a guy that used to play in front of tens of thousands, now is flipping burgers or is in jail. I would think of a reward as giving him his spot back on the team, which I am against. Could call it the YFU scholly. You F'd Up.

Maybe....as possible compromise might be that he has to have a certain GPA to come back on hardship scholly. Odds are that few would make it then. lol.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #74
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Quote:

Again we live in a society where people have sued McDonald's over hot coffee and the fat content of their food. It's also not shocking that guys who didn't take advantage of the opportunities presented to them that they'd take a shot in the dark and there are no shortages of lawyers who'll throw something against the wall to see if it sticks.

It's not about competing with Boise as much as it is not sharing. If the power 5 split they no longer have to share TV or Bowl money or run the risk of losing a "playoff" spot to someone who isn't in the club.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #75
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
We live in a time where you can sue someone over anything.
Providing you can find a lawyer that will take the case and a court that will hear it. Lots of potential and dumazz lawsuits never get beyond a lawyer's office because they shouldn't.
But I get your point.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #76
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

What TV or bowl money does the SEC share outside of the conference now?
Old 06-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #77
Absfract
World Traveler

Male

Absfract is sharpening his clawsAbsfract is sharpening his clawsAbsfract is sharpening his clawsAbsfract is sharpening his clawsAbsfract is sharpening his claws

I don't understand why they can't just take out a loan to finish their education and still play football like a 'walk-on' without a football scholly. I have no idea, but I would wonder how many probably burnt the GPA bridge in their last year and wouldn't be able to do this anyways...

I think Vic would have benefitted greatly would this be true.
Absfract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:22 AM   #78
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Is another victim of bad advice and should have stayed for his senior season....
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #79
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 799000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
Is another victim of bad advice and should have stayed for his senior season....
I haven't read the complete thread, but it seems to me that Vic had the talent. Going undrafted was about the man, not the skills. That has got to hurt.
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:34 AM   #80
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
I haven't read the complete thread, but it seems to me that Vic had the talent. Going undrafted was about the man, not the skills. That has got to hurt.
Has to be something about talent, he just got cut from a free agent chance.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote