CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
johnnyb
taylorssc
Lonnie
Gamecocks321
doubledribble
GarnetSwarm1990
QCB
gadeneer1986
So Disappointed With (2495)
Rank the QBs under S (1741)
Back like cooked cra (1368)
Who start on the d l (700)
No Comments on the H (695)
Google finally gets (471)
lack of production= (377)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (222)
Gameday parking in A (157)
Vote For Cocky (108)
Rank the QBs under Spurri
So Disappointed With The
Texas athletic director:
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
The Gator Bowl wants us!
Tennessee game
Back like cooked crack
No Comments on the Holes?
Call of Duty: Advanced Wa
Why I think we beat Aubur

Old 06-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #121
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

CockyCash: 500
Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material
Default Re: Official World Cup 2014 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latti View Post
I'm not up on soccer. Do we have a shot to make it out of our pool?
We're in a very tough group, but we certainly have a chance. I think Portugal is overrated, and Germany is banged up. We play Germany last, and if Germany has 6 points from the first two matches, they may not field their best team, which helps. Also, soccer is unpredictable.
Transmaniacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #122
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Jozi's second goal was pure gold. A thing a beauty that I'd expect from top strikers in the EPL
Old 06-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #123
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

If the US plays like they did today against Nigeria, they can play with any team in the world. That effort today was outstanding - best I've seen in a long time. Jones and Bckerman were great as defensive midfielders. Jozi looked awesome, not just scoring but passing. Dempsey was in the right places. And Bradley is by far the most important player on the team.

The back line with Johnson (outstanding match today), Cameron, Besler, and Beasley were fantastic. Very few breakdowns at the back. Late in the match, US looked a little vulnerable due to subs but I think this solidifies Cameron over Gonzalez in the middle. I thought the penalty was a bit cheap but the team was fantastic.

Only possible change I could see against Ghana would be Zusi starting for Bedoya. Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing. Loved the tactics and the effort by the US today. Outstanding!!!
Old 06-08-2014, 12:58 AM   #124
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

I wouldn't go so far as to say were could play with ANY team...Spain, Argentina or Netherlands come to mind bc of their styles...but in essence, yes we looked impressive at times.

Bedoya has no touch, Altidore started like his usual brick wall self but then, it clicked and man that second goal....pure sex on a soccer pitch, touch, finesse and power!

Dempsey had an off night but Bradley looked like a man possessed.

I'd be shocked if EPL teams didn't show some interest in Bradley.
Beasley, for the first time in his career...except for the infamous sideline lunge piss---google it, lol.... impressed me. he looked comfortable and capable.

I know people were "iffy" after Israel and Azjerbaijan...but I'm optimistic. Nigeria is, imho, a more dynamic team than Ghana and are more capable of scoring at will.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:03 AM   #125
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say were could play with ANY team...Spain, Argentina or Netherlands come to mind bc of their styles...but in essence, yes we looked impressive at times.

Bedoya has no touch, Altidore started like his usual brick wall self but then, it clicked and man that second goal....pure sex on a soccer pitch, touch, finesse and power!

Dempsey had an off night but Bradley looked like a man possessed.

I'd be shocked if EPL teams didn't show some interest in Bradley.
Beasley, for the first time in his career...except for the infamous sideline lunge piss---google it, lol.... impressed me. he looked comfortable and capable.

I know people were "iffy" after Israel and Azjerbaijan...but I'm optimistic. Nigeria is, imho, a more dynamic team than Ghana and are more capable of scoring at will.
I just dont want to go over there and get humiliated. I hope the boys put on a good showing.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #126
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #127
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

We need to put together two halves that are consistent before we sniff a world cup title.

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #128
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Jozi's second goal was pure gold. A thing a beauty that I'd expect from top strikers in the EPL
A near post laser

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #129
tkousc
4-Star

Male

tkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudly

Just home from being in Jacksonville for the game.

Some thoughts:

Jermaine Jones is better than I thought. He really can bully people out there.

Michael Bradley is by far our most important player. Everything runs through him.

I really like Fabian Johnson he's got some game.

Dempsey will have his opportunities at the World Cup. The ball finds him somehow.

Beckerman didn't really do too much but overall the team looked good.

Let's beat Ghana!
tkousc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #130
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

As for biocockanics post above I believe we can play with anyone IF we played like we did yesterday. I didn't say we would win but we our effort was impressive.

I thought bedoya and Beckerman had the worst games but Beckerman was solid on defense. Zusi should start over bedoya.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #131
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

Beckerman played very well. He is a unique character because it's hard to assess bcof his role.

The others, namely Bradley LOOK better when he's on the field. Slowing a player up, one simple pass...and he's questioned

Beckerman is my favorite player off the field bc hell...he could just kick it on a beach with a beer and never say anything about his status...but on the field, he's such a niche player that it's like an offensive lineman...if you hear his name it's bc something bad happened.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:34 PM   #132
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

This is why he Beckerman has to start. He allows Bradley to do his thing because Beckerman gives him support on the back line. With him and Jones back there it makes the defense really solid and compact and allows Bradley to move forward, make plays, and even chase the ball. This team goes as Bradley leads them but Beckerman is the unsung hero.

Besler and Cameron played well together, Johnson was fantastic, and Beasley looked as comfortable as he has ever been. I think Klinsmann has his team but as I said, zusi needs to replace Bedoya. Love to see Jozy's confidence right now going into the World Cup. If Dempsey steps up a little, this team is really solid. They are good enough to get out of this group and better than Portugal if they play like yesterday.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:49 PM   #133
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

agreed.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #134
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
This is why he Beckerman has to start. He allows Bradley to do his thing because Beckerman gives him support on the back line. With him and Jones back there it makes the defense really solid and compact and allows Bradley to move forward, make plays, and even chase the ball. This team goes as Bradley leads them but Beckerman is the unsung hero.

Besler and Cameron played well together, Johnson was fantastic, and Beasley looked as comfortable as he has ever been. I think Klinsmann has his team but as I said, zusi needs to replace Bedoya. Love to see Jozy's confidence right now going into the World Cup. If Dempsey steps up a little, this team is really solid. They are good enough to get out of this group and better than Portugal if they play like yesterday.
I think the concern with Zusi is speed getting back. He is much better than Bedoya from an offensive stand point, but Bedoya seems more defensive minded. This could be an offensive/defensive move based on where the score is. The 5 midfield diamond they have played finally looks comfortable to the guys. I think it took a while to understand what their roles were in that formation. I was skeptical, but they really looked good on Saturday.

52,000 in Jacksonville is a record for a soccer match in the south. The crowd was electric.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #135
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
I think the concern with Zusi is speed getting back. He is much better than Bedoya from an offensive stand point, but Bedoya seems more defensive minded. This could be an offensive/defensive move based on where the score is. The 5 midfield diamond they have played finally looks comfortable to the guys. I think it took a while to understand what their roles were in that formation. I was skeptical, but they really looked good on Saturday.

52,000 in Jacksonville is a record for a soccer match in the south. The crowd was electric.
Nice to see a big crowd out there. First quality football they have seen in J-Ville for a while.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #136
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

I'm glad JK went back t the 4-2-3-1. Having 2 holding mids allow Bradley to express himself. Dempsey was playing with a lot of confidence as well. Johnson is valuable in the attack I just hope he doesn't get caught too forward and give up a dumb goal.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #137
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

It's hard to assign a formation to JK's approach bc he's not a fan of formation oriented strategy. We're very flexible and at times were essentially either a 6-4 or a 4-1-5. I believe it was more of a wrinkle to the diamond than a legitimate "formation" play...but that may be semantics. I've always questioned adhering to a strict formation when one v one we can't compete talent wise, we function as a complete unit not as an individual player in a rigid formation

You can push 2 or 3 mids forward or backward depending on the situation.

I was VERY pleased to see how FIT we looked. Late in the game legs didn't look tired at all, we looked fresh and in great shape...using the flexibility of this "formation" our fitness level could make us a very dangerous team to inflexible formation oriented teams.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #138
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
It's hard to assign a formation to JK's approach bc he's not a fan of formation oriented strategy. We're very flexible and at times were essentially either a 6-4 or a 4-1-5. I believe it was more of a wrinkle to the diamond than a legitimate "formation" play...but that may be semantics. I've always questioned adhering to a strict formation when one v one we can't compete talent wise, we function as a complete unit not as an individual player in a rigid formation

You can push 2 or 3 mids forward or backward depending on the situation.

I was VERY pleased to see how FIT we looked. Late in the game legs didn't look tired at all, we looked fresh and in great shape...using the flexibility of this "formation" our fitness level could make us a very dangerous team to inflexible formation oriented teams.
I think you meant 4-5-1 instead of 4-1-5 (I've never seen 5 strikers on the field at the same time). I knew what you meant though with Dempsey dropping back to a more midfield role.

Without a doubt, I think our team will be the fittest in the group. If you haven't heard or read, go back and read about the training regimen in Palo Alto - especially the beep test. These guys were pushed as hard as any US athletes, regardless of sport. We see their fitness and take it for granted but one thing Klinsmann has said all along - we will be the fittest team at the World Cup.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #139
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

well, I said what I meant but should clarify

3 of Our midfielders would push forward on the attack. Bedoya, Bradley, Dempsey, Altidore, jones were all on the attacking third at times...equaling the 5 on attack...didn't mean 5 strikers.

Which is why I love the diamond and it's versatility...it's basically negating the true 4-4-2 or other true rigid lineups bc you change it totally based on what the pitch gives you.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #140
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post

I don't see the concern with Zusi in a defensive role. That's not his place. We already have two defensive midfielders in Beckerman and Jones. I thought they worked well together. I want Zusi to complement Bradley with his passing and offense. For me, Zusi is an upgrade over Bedoya in that area. Start Zusi against Ghana. If you need more defense against Portugal and Germany, start/bring on Bedoya.

So I do agree with you in terms of offense/defense. However, against Ghana, I want Zusi's offense as we will need as many goals as we can get going into Portugal and Germany. Goal difference could be a difference.