CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ReadR00ster
A. Pilgrim
jrussjr
markp_vip
B-G
GamecockSuperFan
l^l^lBGCock
2000grad
thekob
Lonnie
Davis dinged up agai (3070)
Winston (2757)
New Photos by Travis (1882)
For the love of God! (1632)
Quarles is a Colt! (1048)
SOS: No QB controve (926)
Waldrop injured (828)
CBS Sports Meathead (621)
Rabbit package? (485)
Sig I'm giving a Daw (447)
Winston
ESPN reporter adding to t
In light of our matchup w
Just read this.
SMU job - Spurrier Jr.?
Waldrop injured
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
Acock's SEC Wrap Up 2014:
Davis dinged up again?
Sig I'm giving a Dawg Bud

Old 06-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #21
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Chris Low ranks SEC's QBs

Driskel based off potential should be above DT but I'd probably put DT above Driskel to start the year. I think Chris Lowe is forgetting how unstable UF's offense has been over the past 3 years and how stable USC's offense has been over that time period.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #22
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Is this supposed to be based on talent, or who is in the best position to succeed? Thompson is arguably in the best postition. 5th year senior with and experienced OL and Recievers and stud runningbacks.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #23
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Link: http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...quarterbacks-6

You know its a weird year when Ole Miss and Miss State are ahead of Alabama, Georgia, aTm, UF, and LSU..

Observations:

1) What is with all the hype about Maty Mauk? I just don't understand it.

2) Florida being rated ahead of us is a joke.

3) Is Alabama really hurting that bad that they have to rely on a transfer that isn't even in school yet? What happened to Cooper Bateman and David Cornwell?

4) LSU has the weirdest QB situation year to year I've ever seen. It seems to have been forever since they had "that guy" behind center.

5) UGA is in a world of hurt if Mason goes down.

6) Dak Prescott is a Heisman sleeper candidate.
I've been saying it for months now. Prescott is going to be a star this year. I'd take him over anyone in the SEC right now. He's going to put up huge numbers this year.

Oh and that Bama transfer almost beat out last years Heisman winner for the starting job at FSU last year. If you look at actual Vegas Heisman odds I think he is the second QB in the SEC behind Marshall.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #24
cockfight21
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
cockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter Cock View Post
Uhhhhhhhhh, have we watched the same games???? Driskel is brutal. No way I'd put him #1.
Driskel has a terrible offense to play with. The one year he had some decent calls and a few players, he was good. Compared to this year's crop, I think he has the most potential. He can make all of the throws and run. He can't stay healthy and his offensive scheme is horrible. If Spurrier had Driskel, Driskel would be a 1st team all american.

Kenny Powers
cockfight21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #25
cockfight21
Household Name

Male

cockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot material

The whole situation is strange because you have no real guarantees this year. Last year you had Murray, McCarron, Franklin, Mettenberger, Shaw. The case could be made for just about any of the QB's this year to be the best. No one really knows.

Kenny Powers
Old 06-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #26
cockfight21
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Ahahahahahahaha
I am rethinking Driskel at No. 1, but furiously defending that statement

Kenny Powers
Old 06-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #27
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockfight21 View Post
The whole situation is strange because you have no real guarantees this year. Last year you had Murray, McCarron, Franklin, Mettenberger, Shaw. The case could be made for just about any of the QB's this year to be the best. No one really knows.
True, but everyone knows that Marshall and the Auburn offense is going to be very hard to stop and put up Huge numbers.

And Prescott will put up big numbers this year too.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #28
GamecockNeal
American Gamecock....

Male

CockyCash: 5445
GamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot material

I like Dylan but Im also scaried. Remember how nice it was last year not giving the ball away by ints? Not so much this year. Are we going to get clemtech DT or mizz. and central florida DT on a daily basis?
Old 06-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #29
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockNeal View Post
I like Dylan but Im also scaried. Remember how nice it was last year not giving the ball away by ints? Not so much this year. Are we going to get clemtech DT or mizz. and central florida DT on a daily basis?
He has had another year to develop under Spurrier, and Thompson has shown he can be clutch as well. Don't write him off just yet. We will know come Aug. 28th, then finally all this crap will be over with.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.

Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #30
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

6 through 9 are interchangeable. Who knows! Who knows!

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #31
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Dak Prescott for Heisman, gimme a break. The guy can't pass at all
Old 06-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #32
Helicopter Cock
To impress a chick

Male

CockyCash: 500
Helicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockfight21 View Post
Driskel has a terrible offense to play with. The one year he had some decent calls and a few players, he was good. Compared to this year's crop, I think he has the most potential. He can make all of the throws and run. He can't stay healthy and his offensive scheme is horrible. If Spurrier had Driskel, Driskel would be a 1st team all american.
More of an athlete than a QB; I'd put him at the bottom of the list ahead of Worley and Allen for sure, but not anywhere above 8.

Still needs to prove himself; way too many WTF games as a passer.
Helicopter Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #33
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

one of the issues with Driskell this year will be that he has nobody to throw it to. So if they don't have a vertical passing game he wont be any good. He has the talent I guess, but its a "wait and see" (at least for me) with him. Same as a couple other guys on there (Bama, LSU, A&M, DT adapting to a full schedule, UGA...to name a few)
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #34
TerryP
4-Star

Male

TerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
He has work to do passing the football for sure but he ran for 893 yards and 13 scores last year. He is made for Mullen's offense and just a beast when he gets it going. I imagine he is going to be a 2,000 yard passer / 1,000 yard rusher this year with a butt load of scores.

Also State's schedule isn't too bad. They have to go to LSU and Alabama, but their other challenging games are at home.
What do we know about Mississippi State? If we use last year as a gauge for this season we see three conference wins. Two of those came against an Ole Miss team and Arkansas; 3-5 and 0-8 in conference play respectively. Both of those wins in overtime. The other win was Kentucky.cky.

Prescott, last season, had 10 TD's and 7 INT's on the season. Only two of the TD's came in conference play—against A&M.

I can understand where you see "he's a beast when he gets that offense going." However, the only team worth a damn last year where he managed to do so was against UofSC. Auburn, who had one of the worst secondary units in the SEC last season, held him to just over 50% in passing completions.

Last, certainly not least, comes in the form of a question: when has playing in Starkville been a decided advantage for Mississippi State? Out of 40 games over the last decade how many times have they won a big game at home? I'd guess less than five. I can only think of two off the top of my head.

Quote:
Link: http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...quarterbacks-6

You know its a weird year when Ole Miss and Miss State are ahead of Alabama, Georgia, aTm, UF, and LSU..

Observations:

1) What is with all the hype about Maty Mauk? I just don't understand it.

2) Florida being rated ahead of us is a joke.

3) Is Alabama really hurting that bad that they have to rely on a transfer that isn't even in school yet? What happened to Cooper Bateman and David Cornwell?

4) LSU has the weirdest QB situation year to year I've ever seen. It seems to have been forever since they had "that guy" behind center.

5) UGA is in a world of hurt if Mason goes down.

6) Dak Prescott is a Heisman sleeper candidate.
If you can figure out what's going on in Baton Rouge you'll be one of the first few. Miles love for dual threat QB's, while running a pro-set offense, baffles me as well. I believe he has two QB's on scholarship going into the fall. Woefully thin.

With Bama: Cornwell will 'shirt (true frosh.) Bateman coming out of a redshirt year (RSFR.) You forgot two; Morris (RSFR) and Sims (RSSR) who'll see playing time.

There's a lot of hype around Coker right now which is largely fueled by FSU coaches and comments they've made about his potential. He'll be a RSJR.

We've seen UGA have success playing guys who've shirted. I don't doubt they'll be limited without Mason. But, I can't go as far as to write them off if he's hurt. History goes against that assumption.
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #35
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Dak is meh.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #36
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
With Bama:.
Not sure if mentioned, but the SEC lost some solid QBs this past Jan...I guess they could be called "legacy" players in some instances.
McCarron, Murray, Manziel, Mettenberger, Shaw, and Franklin (Mizzou).
Might be a while before we see something like that again. They may not all have been high NFL draft picks, but the accolades, records, and wins among that group is pretty formidable.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #37
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
What do we know about Mississippi State? If we use last year as a gauge for this season we see three conference wins. Two of those came against an Ole Miss team and Arkansas; 3-5 and 0-8 in conference play respectively. Both of those wins in overtime. The other win was Kentucky.cky.

Prescott, last season, had 10 TD's and 7 INT's on the season. Only two of the TD's came in conference play—against A&M.

I can understand where you see "he's a beast when he gets that offense going." However, the only team worth a damn last year where he managed to do so was against UofSC. Auburn, who had one of the worst secondary units in the SEC last season, held him to just over 50% in passing completions.

Last, certainly not least, comes in the form of a question: when has playing in Starkville been a decided advantage for Mississippi State? Out of 40 games over the last decade how many times have they won a big game at home? I'd guess less than five. I can only think of two off the top of my head.

If you can figure out what's going on in Baton Rouge you'll be one of the first few. Miles love for dual threat QB's, while running a pro-set offense, baffles me as well. I believe he has two QB's on scholarship going into the fall. Woefully thin.

With Bama: Cornwell will 'shirt (true frosh.) Bateman coming out of a redshirt year (RSFR.) You forgot two; Morris (RSFR) and Sims (RSSR) who'll see playing time.

There's a lot of hype around Coker right now which is largely fueled by FSU coaches and comments they've made about his potential. He'll be a RSJR.

We've seen UGA have success playing guys who've shirted. I don't doubt they'll be limited without Mason. But, I can't go as far as to write them off if he's hurt. History goes against that assumption.
I know he needs to work on his passing but compare his numbers to Nick Marshall.

Marshall - 1,976 passing yards, 14 TD, 6 INT, 59% / 1,068 rushing yards, 12 TD

Prescott - 1,940 passing yards, 10 TD, 7 INT, 58% / 829 rushing yards, 13 TD

These guys are pretty equal. I would say the system makes them better quarterbacks than they probably are.

The fact is Prescott is a load to bring down and his rushing statistics this year should be off the charts if he stays healthy. From what I have read, he isn't short of weapons to throw to either so if he can improve there (given Mullen's success with dual threat QBs, I don't see why he wouldn't) he should be a 2,000 yard / 1,000 yard player with a ton of scores. If he can do it on the national stage against Auburn/Bama/LSU then I absolutely believe he could be in the Heisman race. His performance in the Liberty Bowl, albeit against Rice, could've been the light bulb coming on. We'll just have to wait and see.

After doing some more research, State only lost 2 games at home last year (Bama/LSU). They have another favorable home schedule this year with their toughest matchups being against aTm and Auburn who Dak had big games against last year. They very well could win all of their home games.

I just think he is the breakout star this year in the SEC.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #38
TerryP
4-Star

Male

TerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
I know he needs to work on his passing but compare his numbers to Nick Marshall.

Marshall - 1,976 passing yards, 14 TD, 6 INT, 59% / 1,068 rushing yards, 12 TD

Prescott - 1,940 passing yards, 10 TD, 7 INT, 58% / 829 rushing yards, 13 TD

These guys are pretty equal. I would say the system makes them better quarterbacks than they probably are.

The fact is Prescott is a load to bring down and his rushing statistics this year should be off the charts if he stays healthy. From what I have read, he isn't short of weapons to throw to either so if he can improve there (given Mullen's success with dual threat QBs, I don't see why he wouldn't) he should be a 2,000 yard / 1,000 yard player with a ton of scores. If he can do it on the national stage against Auburn/Bama/LSU then I absolutely believe he could be in the Heisman race. His performance in the Liberty Bowl, albeit against Rice, could've been the light bulb coming on. We'll just have to wait and see.

After doing some more research, State only lost 2 games at home last year (Bama/LSU). They have another favorable home schedule this year with their toughest matchups being against aTm and Auburn who Dak had big games against last year. They very well could win all of their home games.

I just think he is the breakout star this year in the SEC.
Interesting comparison with Marshall.

Did you find it difficult to write "toughest matchups" and "A&M and Auburn" in the same sentence given how porous their defenses were last season? :-)

One thing I can't escape is hearing and reading virtually the same prognostications recently—that time with Tyler Russell.
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #39
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Not getting the Florida hype.
Not sold on Driskel...and no depth behind him.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #40
petecock
Recruit

Male

petecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervous

Worley may seem unworthy, but beware underestimation. I agree with some who suggest that this sleeper may be a player.
petecock is offline   Reply With Quote