CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
IBleedGarnetandBlack
The Yancey
peterlemon
18IsTheMan
bcolinc
zcoop
Cockypantherfan
Spurticus
Kyle76
The Demise of the 3- (2530)
East Carolina Predic (1698)
Why didn't Wes Green (1387)
A&M on 3rd down (767)
You guys are horribl (661)
louisville (605)
Did we ever go after (517)
It's the offenses no (482)
All of our defensive (304)
Watching the Georgia (303)
A few thoughts
It's the offenses not the
Browns sign Rex Grossman,
A&M on 3rd down
All of our defensive play
Uniform thread
The Demise of the 3-4
2015 - Amonte Caban
USC vs. Texas A&M Pre
Finally Cooled Off

Old 06-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #141
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material
Default Re: Official World Cup 2014 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
well, I said what I meant but should clarify

3 of Our midfielders would push forward on the attack. Bedoya, Bradley, Dempsey, Altidore, jones were all on the attacking third at times...equaling the 5 on attack...didn't mean 5 strikers.

Which is why I love the diamond and it's versatility...it's basically negating the true 4-4-2 or other true rigid lineups bc you change it totally based on what the pitch gives you.
Yeah, I see what you are saying. I still say it was more a 4-2-3-1 as Beckerman and Jones didn't really attack. I still think Zusi would be a better option over Bedoya in this attack/counter-attack style because of his passing.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #142
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talons

One week from today ladies and gents!!! Can't contain my excitement for this to get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #143
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Just over 48 hours. starting to get anxious now.

From American Outlaws and ESPN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyWVi...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #144
tkousc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
tkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudly

So ready for this to start. I was thinking about going but its just too expensive and there is too much unrest down there and getting around would be really tough. Plus the US is playing in the middle of nowhere. I'm making a bold prediction that Croatia gives Brazil all they want in that first game.
tkousc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #145
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

SR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talons

48 hours away my excitement is starting to get to be to much!!!

Old 06-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #146
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

From the 1978 World Cup. I was way too young to know anything about this. However, I didn't learn about this history growing up. I had no idea this happened. After reading this, Videla was as evil as Hitler.

For one of the best soccer teams in the world, the World Cup brings back nightmares and they will never be able to enjoy this tournament. (Warning: Very graphic depiction of the Dirty War in Argentina).

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/stor...tina-dirty-war
Old 06-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #147
IslandCock
Go! Fight! Win! Kick ASS!

Male

CockyCash: 13701490
IslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
From the 1978 World Cup. I was way too young to know anything about this. However, I didn't learn about this history growing up. I had no idea this happened. After reading this, Videla was as evil as Hitler.

For one of the best soccer teams in the world, the World Cup brings back nightmares and they will never be able to enjoy this tournament. (Warning: Very graphic depiction of the Dirty War in Argentina).

Started the story a couple days ago, super intense (i.e. torture methods). Have it bookmarked to finish tonight on my flight into Rio.
IslandCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #148
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

I'm 53 and as the years have passed, I've become more and more engaged in the world cup. My oldest grandson is a soccer freak, and Grandpa doesn't miss too many games. I'm looking forward to following the festivities and seeing who flops the most
Coulwoodwarlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:03 AM   #149
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Ronaldo will win flopsalot crown for the 5th straight year...
Old 06-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #150
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post

Read that at work the other day. Stunning.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #151
myrtsmom
Recruit

Female

CockyCash: 500
myrtsmom is sharpening his clawsmyrtsmom is sharpening his clawsmyrtsmom is sharpening his clawsmyrtsmom is sharpening his clawsmyrtsmom is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkousc View Post
So ready for this to start. I was thinking about going but its just too expensive and there is too much unrest down there and getting around would be really tough. Plus the US is playing in the middle of nowhere. I'm making a bold prediction that Croatia gives Brazil all they want in that first game.
I haven't seen Croatia play in any of their friendlies, but Ray Hudson said that they're playing better than any team coming into the World Cup, including Brazil and Argentina. So, your prediction might just come true!
myrtsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #152
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

Here it is. Predictions!!

Group A aka "Brazil and some other people"
1) Brazil--Brazil will not win ALL games, but they will advance. I think Croatia draws them and Cameroon scares them early

2) Croatia- I think they get through this group with a choke hold on second. Modric needs to shine and they control their destiny

Players to watch: Brazil's Thiago Silva, Mexico's Marquez, Cameroons Eto'o and Song.

Group B aka "The Champions, the dark horse...and the Dutch"
1) Spain- experienced but del bosque didn't bring new blood, i think the expectations are too large AND the group is too difficult

2) Chile advacnes

Netherlands are too young and remember Euro2012? The dutch wish they didn't...Van Persie just got hit by a kite surfer, you didn't see that 25ft kite with a human attached?? How can I trust you to see a defender or the net of a goal...

Players to watch: Chile's Vidal and Vargas, Spains Diego Costa and Sergio Ramos taking over for Puyol. The Dutchman 'Help me Robin Van Persie you're my only hope'---yeah, I went there. Finally Australia...Tim Cahill...oh wait he's injured really...Tommy Oar, young kid

Group C aka "Nothing to see here...move along"
1)Columbia--yeah idk either, playing on their home continent should help? maybe?

2) Greece- The most boring team in this tournament, they always have an upset...then fall flat on their face...plus that one blonde chick is hot so I hope to see her again.

Players to watch: Let's not pretend here, we only know one guy in this group....Yaya Toure. If you're interested I'm sure there's someone named for an asian car manufacturing company, it's not racist but you just KNOW there's a suzuki or honda or something.

Group D aka "The group of dead dreams"
1) I debated over this one to realize, I'm just disinterested.
Uruguay advances

2) England shocks the world and draws Italy, a poor form Rooney's last world cup gets him one more game.

Players to watch: Luis Suarez aka "The Golden Tooth", He goes all Mike Tyson and gnaws on his opponents. Excite. Also, Oxade-Chamberlain if he's healthy is a young English talent. Gerrard is always worth a look. Mario Ballotelli for Italy, the only man with any attacking instincts on a team full of defensive minded bores.

Group E aka "Five finer points of Smörgåsbord"
This one depends on the tie breaker, 3 teams will have 5 points. Swiss, Ecuador and French.

1) Let's go with the Swiss to advance, i literally know nothing about this team aside from they qualified very well. They play fast at least.

2)Throughout the history of the World, only one name stands out in conflict. France, infamous for failure and a single great military leader who's army was defeated by winter...that's right, snow whipped his butt. SO no the french don't exit the group stage. Ecuador does.

Players to watch: Frenchman Pogba is their one talent, Benzema underwhelms habitually. Ecuadors Montero & Valencia and Swiss folks...Shaqirir and Inlan

Group F aka No brainer

1) Argentina has too many weapons to be challenged

2)Bosnia-Herzegovina

Players to watch: Argentine's Di Maria is special but I'm watching Messi, for what he may not do. He is a STUD at Barcelona, but he has yet to do much for his nation. Bosnian success hinges on Dzeko and Pjanic

Group G aka "The Group of Death...oh and that play dead acting ballon d'Or"
Look, we all know Ronaldo is going to get free kicks, he's been in more "award" (read as goal)winning acting roles than Christopher Lee.

1) Germany, the team is tacked and a machine.

2) I think the USA will advance. I really, really do

Players to watch: German y's Khedira and Klose, Portugals Ronaldo--you really can't help but watch him...the camera's are glued to him and Carvalho. For the USA I'm going to watch Altidore closely to see if he can use his power to hold off some really excellent defenders.

Group H aka "Belgium and the rest"
1) Belgium--young, talented and underrated

2) South Korea--they pay fast and those bastards run EVERYWHERE

Players to watch: The Red Devil's Eden Hazard, this guy is the man. Russian Kokorin has to step up since Shirikov is out. South Korea's...uh...yeah whoever that guy is.

I'll post up my knockout predictions tomorrow before the Brazil Croatia match
Old 06-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #153
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

I'm not an optimist by nature but I have a good feeling about the US. The most successful teams aren't based on talent alone. Team chemistry matters a lot and I think there is something special about the US team. Maybe I'm buying into the hype and optimism from watching ESPN's March to Brazil. I believe the togetherness of this team, along with what I saw from the game against Nigeria, will carry this team further than most expect.

There has been a lot of talk about underdog/darkhorse teams like Belgium, Chile, and others. However, I believe the US could emerge as one of those. These are just my opinions because I have nothing to base this on but my own enthusiasm for this team, the chemistry I see, the game against Nigeria, and an unusual dose of optimism.

6/16 Ghana - W
6/22 Portugal - W
6/26 Germany - L

US finishes second in the group. I think too much credit is given to Portugal. Ronaldo is good enough to beat us by himself as he did Sweden. However, I think we are a better team than Sweden. Portugal is inconsistent and I don't think they are anywhere close to being the #4 team in the world. Ronaldo or not, I think we will beat them (I would settle for a draw). I think it comes down to the final game against Germany and since they will need a win, they will beat us and finish ahead of us in the group.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #154
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

In case the US needs a little motivation, this preview/prediction of Group G on ESPN has the US finishing last with high praise for Germany, Portugal, and Ghana. I think far too much focus is on Portugal and Ghana.

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup...ed-statesghana
Old 06-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #155
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

I despise that stupid site layout...

Look, Germany is loaded but let's not glorify everything about them. They're beset by nagging injuries and Lowe's teams will start STRONG but will dwindle soon as the players become tired and aggravate little nicks with their physical style f play.

I believe we can tie Germany if we play our A game and with a few lucky breaks we can defeat them...the pressure is HUGE on Germany, they need a trophy...no trophies since Euro 1996...pressure on Germany is MASSIVE.

Portugal, to me, is the wild card...inconsistency and dependence on Ronaldo is key here. If we play like we did vs Nigeria, I think we win.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #156
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

I love Klinsmann's confidence. He doesn't believe the US can win the World Cup. However, watch his interviews. He is confident that we can beat anyone. He really believes that. So do I. I think we will be the surprise of this group and possibly the World Cup. This team is going to be better than people think.

And honestly, I'm sick and tired of the Landon Donovan crap. I loved the guy. He isn't on the team. We don't need him. Please stop talking about him.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #157
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

Donovan just joined ESPN as a WC analyst, it's not over.

ESPN doesn't understand sports anymore, they tug on controversial personal ties.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #158
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Donovan just joined ESPN as a WC analyst, it's not over.

ESPN doesn't understand sports anymore, they tug on controversial personal ties.
I love having Landon as an analyst. The guy wears his emotions on his sleeve and is one of the most honest athletes we have in sports.

Just accept he isn't on the team and now use his analysis and opinions on the WC and stop talking about his absence.

Granted, if someone gets hurt on the team and they need to call a forward up Donovan may need to leave the studio unexpectedly.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #159
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

While it makes for great sports story...I'd hate to see the backlash against JK IF someone goes down and Donovan gets called in and is the hero.

I support JK in his decision, as I've said several times. You take a CRUCIAL period away for personal reasons when the teams NEEDS you? Doesn't fly with me.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #160
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
While it makes for great sports story...I'd hate to see the backlash against JK IF someone goes down and Donovan gets called in and is the hero.

I support JK in his decision, as I've said several times. You take a CRUCIAL period away for personal reasons when the teams NEEDS you? Doesn't fly with me.

Bio are you in American Outlaws?? Just asking due to your avi. I am going to go a little off kilter from my usual pick and say Argentina has a good shot at the cup. That offense they are bringing is scary good. Messi just needs to finally produce for his country and they could take this one I think.