CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
GamecockWarrior
taylorssc
Order 66
Regalcock
davisd9
Spurticus
jgoodwin25
kingofnerf
nicstockman
What will constitute (1558)
Clowney's father in (1082)
Is this year's team (755)
Nosovitch (674)
Spurrier article on (666)
Coincidence? (547)
Clowney's Father Acc (418)
College Football 25 (395)
Michigan using Virtu (255)
Installing OSX on ne (136)
Deon Green
Toure Boyd
Talking Season Is Over
How many more years of 't
Installing OSX on newly i
Name a Gamecock
Players report today
2016 Commitment - Brandon
Discussion: 2016 Recruit
What will constitute a go

View Poll Results: Recruiting vs Coaching?
Recruiting 6 9.23%
Coaching 59 90.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #7081
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2015 - Jayson Stanley

Quote:
Creekside WR showed he can make the big plays and Creekside went to him early and often on Thursday. The 6-foot-2 WR can play Slot or on the outside on the next level. He is needs to work on his route running, but he has very good ball skills and can use his big body in tight coverage. A summer decision could come for the 4-star prospect with Georgia and Auburn most mentioned around the speedster
Link: http://georgia.247sports.com/Article...rmers-29012074

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 06-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #7082
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2015 - Austin Clark

Mike Farrell said earlier today that he still thinks it's us, but he's wrong as much as he is right, who knows.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #7083
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2015 - D'Andre Walker

Quote:
Another Langston Hughes playmaker that also played all day long on both sides at times. Walker can fly and has a knack for the ball. After playing all day in the heat, Walker saved the best for last and helped his team to winning the whole tourney.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 06-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #7084
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Default Re: 2015 - Micah Abernathy

Quote:
There was a lot of eyes on Abernathy from UGA staff. He does not have a ton of film at DB. At times you can see he is still a little raw at the position, then he will step up and make back to back interceptions, like he did in a big game for GAC on Thursday. Abernathy has a high ceiling and will only get better with time. This sounds like a Georgia/Alabama battle down the line.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:18 PM   #7085
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Default Re: 2015 - J.J. Arcega-Whiteside

Quote:
The 2015 WR from Dorman, SC was very good on Friday. He is a bigger WR at 6-foot-3, 200 pounds, but he was tough to deal with. He was a big mismatch for anybody trying to cover him.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #7086
Master Bedroom
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by boness View Post
Not saying Ward isn't good and isn't the best, or one of, amoungst our staff. Every staff has some who are better than the rest and as some state he would be missed were he to leave.

said, or meant to, so far as I am aware we don't have anyone who is recognized by objective minds as currently elite or young and likely to be (elite). and in some past SS staffs we have had one or both.

Given SS emphasis and comparitive strenths lie elsewhere it seemed having said on staff helped to round out the staff overall and clearly showed in recruiting those 07-11 classes on which our resent success was based.

remember the quality of those classes and then take into account our staff at that time had neither on field success nor upgraded facilities nor a long term committment from SS to remain with which to sell our program while facing Tn, GA and Fl programs at thier zenith. pretty darn remarkable IMHO.

seems our total overall program gains in the hands of such recruiters as SB in combination with the other tools at our current staffs disposal might birth applicable, even extrodinary results.

I know some will say we must go with who we have, which is true. But the reason those individuals are not on staff is because staff turnover is a given. Change isn't if but when. The ? I present is a belief our overall program will benifitt should being a national level recruiting "ringer" so to speak be primary requirment in his ( next guy) tool set (good special teams coach a nice 2nd).
Maybe you agree maybe not.
IMO, Ward and Elliott are two of the best in the bizz. Jay Graham was one I really hated losing, as well as Beamer...but it's hard to fault them for leaving for the places they did. The way the Jay Graham situation played out really irked me. As for coaching/recruiting losing Lawing was a big, big blow.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:21 PM   #7087
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Default Re: 2015 - RayRay McCloud III

Quote:
Utilized as a running back his junior season, McCloud used his short-area shake-and-bake skills to run for 2,316 yards and 26 touchdowns on 300 carries , along with 11 catches for 173 yards and a touchdown. McCloud projects very well as a slot receiver that can make plays in space, a big-play cornerback and a return man that can easily disrupt a field position battle. He posted a 4.27 shuttle at the Orlando NFTC.
Link: http://247sports.com/Gallery/Josh-Sw...class-28997255

Old 06-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #7088
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Default Re: 2015 - Josh Sweat

Quote:
Over the past five years, pass rushers Mario Edwards, Jadeveon Clowney, Robert Nkemdiche and Myles Garrett have taken the top spot in the 247Sports Composite. When talking freak edge rushers in this class, Josh Sweat stands out as potentially joining that group when all is said and done. The 6-foot-5, 230-pound defensive end posted a 4.59 40-yard dash, 4.09 shuttle and 35.5 inch vertical jump at the Charlotte NFTC. During his junior season, Sweat made 94 tackles, including 31 for loss, and 22 sacks while playing alongside Andrew Brown, former five-star and No. 1 defensive tackle in the 2014 class. He fires off low and has the flexibility to dip his shoulder and turn the corner sharply, using his long arms to keep the offensive lineman at bay.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #7089
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Default Re: 2015 - Torrance Gibson

Quote:
The athlete/quarterback debate rages on with U.S. Army All-American Torrance Gibson, but there is no denying that regardless where the five-star ends up on the field, the 6-foot-5, 200-pound prospect will bring oodles of big-play ability. Gibson chose to compete in only one meet for this spring, running a FAT 21.78 in the 200, which would have been good enough for fourth in the state meet. Gibson also ran a 4.55 40-yard dash and 4.38 shuttle at the Miami NFTC. Threw for 1,864 yards and 19 touchdowns while running for 1,032 yards and 10 touchdowns, and just makes it look easy on film. Few his size can move as well as Gibson does.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #7090
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Default Re: 2015 - Emanuel McGirt

Quote:
Today, I changed my Crystal Ball prediction for four-star offensive tackle Emanuel McGirt (Durham, N.C./Hillside) from South Carolina to North Carolina. The 6-foot-5, 275-pounder does have interest in the Gamecocks and has a very good relationship with offensive line coach Shawn Elliott, but based on new information, I feel like at the end of the day, McGirt stays at home in the Raleigh-Durham area for college, so that leaves the Tar Heels, Duke or N.C. State and the Heels, with a very likely monster in-state recruiting haul this cycle, have been trending. That's not to say things won't change, but right now, this one stays close to home.
Link: http://247sports.com/Bolt/Inside-Cry...cGirt-29059780

Old 06-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #7091
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
IMO, Ward and Elliott are two of the best in the bizz. Jay Graham was one I really hated losing, as well as Beamer...but it's hard to fault them for leaving for the places they did. The way the Jay Graham situation played out really irked me. As for coaching/recruiting losing Lawing was a big, big blow.
Losing Lawing was a bigger blow than what most people at the time wanted to admit. He was a hell of a recruiter who probably developed talent as good as any coach.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #7092
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Default Re: 2015 - Maurice Smitherman

Committed to Mississippi State.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:35 PM   #7093
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1000022205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Losing Lawing was a bigger blow than what most people at the time wanted to admit. He was a hell of a recruiter who probably developed talent as good as any coach.
I certainly think Lawning was a good coach, but I've never heard anyone say he was a good recruiter....he may have been earlier in his career, but questionable as he got older.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #7094
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Default Re: 2015 - Albert Huggins

Quote:
DL Albert Huggins of Orangeburg-Wilkinson has been fairly silent about his recruitment but surfaced Monday at Clemson. The in-state product will be in Clemson this Monday-through-Wednesday taking a look at the Tigers.
“I’m just chilling up here and hanging out with the defensive coaches,” Huggins said. “I don’t really talk too much about what’s going on with recruiting because I’m trying to keep a low-profile.”
Huggins did say that he does not have any favorites.
“I’m just trying to keep an open mind and listen to all of the schools,” he said. “I hope to visit Georgia in a couple of weeks and Florida later on this summer.”
There was no mention of USC. When asked about the Gamecocks, Huggins simply said, “Like I said, I’m keeping an open mind to all schools, including USC.” He added that there were no plans to visit USC this summer. His last visit to USC for a visit was for the Clemson game last November.
Some of Huggins’ other offers are Florida State, Alabama, Tennessee, Louisville, NC State, North Carolina, Auburn, Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, Mississippi State and LSU.
Huggins did not indicate a time frame for narrowing his list.
Link: http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/20...ummer-started/

Old 06-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #7095
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1000022205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2015 - Emanuel McGirt

I'm sure we will continue to recruit him even after he commits......he has said he wants to visit and I think he will.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #7096
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
OL Austin Clark of Lexington, VA said Monday night his decision between USC, Tennessee, Virginia Tech and Ohio State has been made. “I’m pretty confident I know what I’m going to do,” said Clark who will notify the winning school Tuesday or Wednesday and then announce his choice publicly on local TV Thursday shortly after 6:00 PM.
“After taking all these visits the past couple of weeks (USC, Tennessee, Virginia Tech) I saw a few more things and got to think about a few more things. The thing that stuck out with me the most was how comfortable I was not only with the coaching staff but also with the facilities, the academic staff, that sort of thing.”
Clark did his homework on all his finalists and thus has a high level of confidence that his decision is the right one for him.
“I definitely think I’ve made the right choice,” Clark said. “Talked it over with my parents and they agree with me that I’ve made the right choice. I really confident and real excited to get in there and start working my butt off.”
Though he had four schools floating thru his mind over the past few weeks, Clark said he actually cut things down to just two schools before picking the winner. And it all came to him last weekend while he was in Baltimore for a camp.
“I’d say this past weekend I was really torn between two of the schools,” Clark said. “I don’t know really what it was that made itself clear that I wanted to go to the one I picked. It just made itself clear.”
Link: http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/20...r-with-choice/

Old 06-10-2014, 11:39 PM   #7097
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Default Re: 2015 - D.J. Jones

Quote:
DL DJ Jones of East Mississippi JC and Wren High School Sunday night updated his top ten with a top ten listed in order of preference. Jones has Tennessee as his current leader.
“It’s because of the long term relationship I’ve developed with their coaching staff,” Jones said. “They’ve been with me since high school. They’ve stuck with me. But they’re not pulling away. I’m just making that list.”
Alabama is second on that list followed by Clemson, USC, Auburn, Southern Cal, Florida State, Ole Miss, Florida and Georgia. Jones said all ten schools remain in the running.
He talked with his USC recruiter Deke Adams earlier on Sunday and he talked with Clemson recruiter Dan Brooks a couple of days ago. He visited both while home last month and probably will revisit when he returns home for July 4th.
Jones said he will take all of his official visits and right now four of those will be to Tennessee, Florida State, Auburn and Southern Cal. He plans to take most of those visits in the summer and wants to make his final decision in early December.
Link: http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/20...-vols-to-lose/

Old 06-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #7098
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Default Re: 2015 - Tim Settle

Quote:
DL Tim Settle of Manassas, VA is now favoring Clemson. He tweeted so Sunday night. “Clemson is my new #1,” Settle typed. Tennessee and Florida State have also been high up on his list.
Settle is close friends with Clemson commitment Chad Smith, a linebacker from Sterling,VA, and Smith has been in Settle’s ear about joining him at Clemson.
Settle plans to visit Clemson later this week. He also visited for a junior day in February and that visit put Clemson in a good place with him.
“It was an amazing visit,” Settle said then. “The atmosphere, the facilities, the stadium, it’s an up and coming program. Coach (Dan) Brooks is one of my favorite defensive line coaches.”
Clemson was one of many visits by Settle over the spring as he saw about 20 schools. He has said he plans to take all five of his official visits and he might save his commitment for the Under Armour Game.
USC also has recruited Settled and he has talked about visiting the Gamecocks but has not indicated he will follow thru on that.
Link: http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/20...dt-tim-settle/

Old 06-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #7099
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Default Re: 2015 - Mirko Jurkovic, Jr.

Quote:
OL Mirko Jurkovic Jr. (6-5 280) of South Bend, IN has several offers but is currently focusing on four schools. USC, Florida, Arkansas and Nebraska are receiving most of his attention though he doesn’t want to call them favorites right now.
“Of course that is subject to change but those are the schools I’m looking hard at right now,” Jurkovic said.
His offer from the Gamecocks came in early-May and has Jurkovic wanting to visit Columbia. He plays is high school ball at IMG Academy in Bradenton, FL but is not sure that is close enough for his trip to USC to work out.
“I’m back home in Indiana until July 5th and I’d like to visit (USC) when I get back home but I’m not sure it’s going to work out,” he said. “I’m still trying to work that out with my mom but I don’t know if she’s going to be able to take me.”
The SEC is intriguing to Jurkovic with three of his top four schools residing in the conference but it is his relationship with Shawn Elliott that most interests him in the Gamecocks. Should his plans to visit Columbia this summer fall through, Jurkovic did say an official visit to USC was likely.
He has visited Florida and will visit again when he returns south. The Gators offered Jurkovic Wednesday and are urging his return. He will visit Nebraska in July and has not scheduled a trip to Arkansas.
Jurkovic does not have a leader and did not name a time frame for a commitment.
Link: http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/20...o-jurkovic-jr/

Old 06-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #7100
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Default Re: 2015 - Amonte Caban

Quote:
There are several schools LB Amonte Caban of Smiths Station, AL plans to visit this summer and two of them are Clemson and USC. Caban wants to narrow his list to five before summer’s end but wants to complete all of his summer trips prior to doing so. “I want to take all five of my official visits before I commit,” he said. “Hopefully, I can narrow it down to those schools before football starts up.”
Caban also will visit Alabama, Kentucky, Louisville and Mississippi State this summer. None of his trips have been scheduled but that should change quickly.
“Me and my coach are supposed to talk about that tomorrow, actually,” Caban said. “I think we’re trying to figure out when we can visit Clemson and South Carolina.”
Caban said that he does not have any favorites but does have interest in the two South Carolina schools.
“I like both of them a lot,” he said. “I’ve never visited Clemson and want to see it for myself because I’ve heard a lot of great things. I’ve been to South Carolina and really liked the campus.”
He does not have a time frame for announcing a decision.
Link: http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/20...outh-carolina/

Closed Thread