CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
Order 66
snruter amabon
DTGCOCKS#32
Acockolypse Now
eightohhthree
Cockypantherfan
MWard
NineInchSpurs
Winston (4842)
ESPN reporter adding (2934)
SOS: No QB controve (2028)
Just read this. (1195)
How we won the UGA g (1144)
In light of our matc (1133)
Sig I'm giving a Daw (1099)
Christian Walker cal (727)
If we keep winning a (640)
Clemson requires sex (559)
uniforms saturday
Winston
SOS: No QB controversy
Christian Walker called u
How we won the UGA game:
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
If this doesn't give you
In light of our matchup w
Waldrop injured
2014-15 Premier League se

Old 06-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #141
boness
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in
Default Re: 2015 - Austin Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
I think he's meaning Recruiting Coordinator, not Ron Cooper....he was referring to Shane Beamer - who was USC's Recruiting Coordinator - returning to join his father Frank at VT....
yes that. sorry for confusion.
boness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #142
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynemd2 View Post
I don't follow recruiting religiously, but I follow it fairly closely and I would say Lorenzo Ward does a pretty good job recruiting the Georgia kids. He's pulled in some really good talent out of the Atlanta area and many of them mention their relationship with Ward as a big factor for why they chose USC.
Not saying Ward isn't good and isn't the best, or one of, amoungst our staff. Every staff has some who are better than the rest and as some state he would be missed were he to leave.

said, or meant to, so far as I am aware we don't have anyone who is recognized by objective minds as currently elite or young and likely to be (elite). and in some past SS staffs we have had one or both.

Given SS emphasis and comparitive strenths lie elsewhere it seemed having said on staff helped to round out the staff overall and clearly showed in recruiting those 07-11 classes on which our resent success was based.

remember the quality of those classes and then take into account our staff at that time had neither on field success nor upgraded facilities nor a long term committment from SS to remain with which to sell our program while facing Tn, GA and Fl programs at thier zenith. pretty darn remarkable IMHO.

seems our total overall program gains in the hands of such recruiters as SB in combination with the other tools at our current staffs disposal might birth applicable, even extrodinary results.

I know some will say we must go with who we have, which is true. But the reason those individuals are not on staff is because staff turnover is a given. Change isn't if but when. The ? I present is a belief our overall program will benifitt should being a national level recruiting "ringer" so to speak be primary requirment in his ( next guy) tool set (good special teams coach a nice 2nd).
Maybe you agree maybe not.
boness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #143
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

When is he supposed to announce?
Old 06-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #144
paynemd2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 870
paynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
When is he supposed to announce?
I believe this Thursday June 12th
paynemd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #145
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynemd2 View Post
I believe this Thursday June 12th
Yes. Sometime around 6:00. Mike Farrell still says us.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #146
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Kornblut posted an article that he basically already knows and will be notifying the other schools tonight and tomorrow, and announce Thursday....
Old 06-10-2014, 11:14 PM   #147
boowilliam4
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talons

all the cb predictions have trended toward VT today.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #148
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Mike Farrell said earlier today that he still thinks it's us, but he's wrong as much as he is right, who knows.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #149
Master Bedroom
Two Deep

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by boness View Post
Not saying Ward isn't good and isn't the best, or one of, amoungst our staff. Every staff has some who are better than the rest and as some state he would be missed were he to leave.

said, or meant to, so far as I am aware we don't have anyone who is recognized by objective minds as currently elite or young and likely to be (elite). and in some past SS staffs we have had one or both.

Given SS emphasis and comparitive strenths lie elsewhere it seemed having said on staff helped to round out the staff overall and clearly showed in recruiting those 07-11 classes on which our resent success was based.

remember the quality of those classes and then take into account our staff at that time had neither on field success nor upgraded facilities nor a long term committment from SS to remain with which to sell our program while facing Tn, GA and Fl programs at thier zenith. pretty darn remarkable IMHO.

seems our total overall program gains in the hands of such recruiters as SB in combination with the other tools at our current staffs disposal might birth applicable, even extrodinary results.

I know some will say we must go with who we have, which is true. But the reason those individuals are not on staff is because staff turnover is a given. Change isn't if but when. The ? I present is a belief our overall program will benifitt should being a national level recruiting "ringer" so to speak be primary requirment in his ( next guy) tool set (good special teams coach a nice 2nd).
Maybe you agree maybe not.
IMO, Ward and Elliott are two of the best in the bizz. Jay Graham was one I really hated losing, as well as Beamer...but it's hard to fault them for leaving for the places they did. The way the Jay Graham situation played out really irked me. As for coaching/recruiting losing Lawing was a big, big blow.
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #150
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
IMO, Ward and Elliott are two of the best in the bizz. Jay Graham was one I really hated losing, as well as Beamer...but it's hard to fault them for leaving for the places they did. The way the Jay Graham situation played out really irked me. As for coaching/recruiting losing Lawing was a big, big blow.
Losing Lawing was a bigger blow than what most people at the time wanted to admit. He was a hell of a recruiter who probably developed talent as good as any coach.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:35 PM   #151
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Losing Lawing was a bigger blow than what most people at the time wanted to admit. He was a hell of a recruiter who probably developed talent as good as any coach.
I certainly think Lawning was a good coach, but I've never heard anyone say he was a good recruiter....he may have been earlier in his career, but questionable as he got older.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #152
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
OL Austin Clark of Lexington, VA said Monday night his decision between USC, Tennessee, Virginia Tech and Ohio State has been made. “I’m pretty confident I know what I’m going to do,” said Clark who will notify the winning school Tuesday or Wednesday and then announce his choice publicly on local TV Thursday shortly after 6:00 PM.
“After taking all these visits the past couple of weeks (USC, Tennessee, Virginia Tech) I saw a few more things and got to think about a few more things. The thing that stuck out with me the most was how comfortable I was not only with the coaching staff but also with the facilities, the academic staff, that sort of thing.”
Clark did his homework on all his finalists and thus has a high level of confidence that his decision is the right one for him.
“I definitely think I’ve made the right choice,” Clark said. “Talked it over with my parents and they agree with me that I’ve made the right choice. I really confident and real excited to get in there and start working my butt off.”
Though he had four schools floating thru his mind over the past few weeks, Clark said he actually cut things down to just two schools before picking the winner. And it all came to him last weekend while he was in Baltimore for a camp.
“I’d say this past weekend I was really torn between two of the schools,” Clark said. “I don’t know really what it was that made itself clear that I wanted to go to the one I picked. It just made itself clear.”
Link: http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/20...r-with-choice/

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #153
PvtWarlick
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1261
PvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot material

sounds like Va Tech to me
2010 SEC East Champions

Baseball:
2010, 2011 National Champions
4 Time Runner-Up (1975, 77, 2002, 2012)

Basketball
Southern Champions: 1927, 33, 34, 45
1970, 71 ACC Champions
1997 SEC Champions
2005, 06 NIT Champions
PvtWarlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:02 AM   #154
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtWarlick View Post
sounds like Va Tech to me
Certainly trending that way.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:02 AM   #155
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
I think he's meaning Recruiting Coordinator, not Ron Cooper....he was referring to Shane Beamer - who was USC's Recruiting Coordinator - returning to join his father Frank at VT....
good call I didnt read that well at all....it makes a lot more sense that way lol

Gamecockfanatic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:08 AM   #156
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29795000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
As for coaching/recruiting losing Lawing was a big, big blow.

I don't think we've missed Lawing one bit, coaching OR recruiting-wise.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but as I remember we skirted trouble because he was contacting recruits during no-contact times, and he was apparently the reason we lost Carlos Dunlap to UF.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #157
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Simply not true on the first half of this post. He wasn't a great recruiter. Great DL development coach, but not a good recruiter.
GarnetArmy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #158
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
I don't think we've missed Lawing one bit, coaching OR recruiting-wise.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but as I remember we skirted trouble because he was contacting recruits during no-contact times, and he was apparently the reason we lost Carlos Dunlap to UF.
The rumor on the Dunlap thing was that Dunlap was a silent to us. He wanted to visit uf, Lawing was pissed and drinking and he called Dunlap about it. We lost Dunlap.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #159
carolinafan53186
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

carolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot material

TM with a CB for Carolina today.

Farrell said Carolina as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #160
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I wonder if Shurburtt changes his pick? He runs the VaTech 247 site (or did).

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote