CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
TheUniversityofSC
dixiecock
Bed Sores
b381l
Cockhornleghorn
TAFC 5 1981
Gamecocks1137
Aggie96
Order 66
Skai Moore not start (2347)
Paul Finebaum heaps (2136)
Unreal Article from (1916)
Conflict with Aggies (1664)
Devonte Returning (1533)
Elliott Fry (1530)
New JK Video Imminen (1361)
Brandon Allen's truc (1025)
Kirk Herbstreit on t (747)
Kyle Carpenter to le (697)
Conflict with Aggies on t
Would you rather: Beat Cl
Skai Moore not starting a
New JK Video Imminent! :)
Carolina Calls 8\26
The 3-4
Connor Shaw Browns
Tanner McEvoy to start fo
Devonte Returning
2015 Greyshirt - Darin Sm

Old 05-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #41
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
jrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPit
Default Re: James Thompson - 6'9" 215 PF - 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilson View Post
Just to illustrate your point, Donavan took over Florida in 1996. He's been there going on 18 years. It was his 2006, 2007 teams that won the NT. At that point, he had been there 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc467 View Post
Not a great comparison.

Billy Donovan had Florida in the Sweet 16 in his 3rd season, the '98-'99 season.
However, Frank has two seasons to get to the Sweet 16....it can be done!
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #42
Mt. Lattimore
At the Top

Male

Mt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussjr View Post
However, Frank has two seasons to get to the Sweet 16
Or else?

My money's on else.
Mt. Lattimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #43
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

jrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lattimore View Post
Or else?

My money's on else.
Heck, at this point, I'd be happy, surprised too, at a simple tourney invite in two years!
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:31 PM   #44
Mt. Lattimore
At the Top

Male

Mt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussjr View Post
Heck, at this point, I'd be happy, surprised too, at a simple tourney invite in two years!
The CBI would be a huge invite at this point.
Mt. Lattimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #45
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latt7more View Post
How is a person 6'8 and only 205 lbs (rivals)? That's way too skinny for any human being that size. Let's hope he really is 215 and somehow bulks up, although I've yet to see that scenario play out with any other basketball recruit we've picked up.
Quote:
The competition in those highlights remind me of my days balling in the church league.
Quote:
Warm body, I guess
Quote:
Or else?

My money's on else.
Quote:
The CBI would be a huge invite at this point.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #46
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Or else?

My money's on else.
What do you have against Coach Martin? Why as a GAMECOCK fan would you on a consistent basis bad mouth the basketball players and coaches? Once again with fans like you who needs taters?
How much money you got?
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #47
doc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 0
doc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spurs

Quote:
How is a person 6'8 and only 205 lbs (rivals)? That's way too skinny for any human being that size. Let's hope he really is 215 and somehow bulks up, although I've yet to see that scenario play out with any other basketball recruit we've picked up.
I did a little search on Alex English and came up with this,
notice his weight. Also, I believe he is 6'8".
Alex English Stats

Profession : Coach

Weight : 190 lbs (86 kg)

Date of Birth : January 5, 1954

Place of Birth : Columbia

Of course, his forte was scoring, but I would be perfectly
happy with a scorer.
doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:04 PM   #48
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I did a little search on Alex English and came up with this,
notice his weight. Also, I believe he is 6'8".
Alex English Stats

Profession : Coach

Weight : 190 lbs (86 kg)

Date of Birth : January 5, 1954

Place of Birth : Columbia

Of course, his forte was scoring, but I would be perfectly
happy with a scorer.
Yes; our 3rd all-time scorer and one of the top 20 scorers in NBA history.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:29 PM   #49
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Fans are just frustrated with sucking at bball and reacting in their own ways. Some are being positive and supportive because it's fun rooting for the massive underdogs. Rooting for the scrappy nobodies feels like a noble pursuit and makes you feel a great connection with the program you love. Others like me really wanna get better too, but realize sports figures can talk a big game, but are full of it. We point out weaknesses in our coaches and players, because we want the chance to pull the Cocks out of the cellar ourselves. Sometimes it makes me feel better to speak proactively, even if I'm just another keyboard warrior. We are all wanting the same thing, but express it differently.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:19 AM   #50
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
Fans are just frustrated with sucking at bball and reacting in their own ways. Some are being positive and supportive because it's fun rooting for the massive underdogs. Rooting for the scrappy nobodies feels like a noble pursuit and makes you feel a great connection with the program you love. Others like me really wanna get better too, but realize sports figures can talk a big game, but are full of it. We point out weaknesses in our coaches and players, because we want the chance to pull the Cocks out of the cellar ourselves. Sometimes it makes me feel better to speak proactively, even if I'm just another keyboard warrior. We are all wanting the same thing, but express it differently.
I just don't understand putting a team in the cellar before the season starts, last year is history as are all the years before it and this team has showed improvement and I think Thornwell can be as talented a scorer as anyone in the country. I understand the frustration though, I scream and hit inanimate objects myself.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #51
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

I think we'll definitely be better next season. We won't challenge for the SEC, but we should at least get an NIT bid. It's only going to be Frank's 3rd season.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #52
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
I think we'll definitely be better next season. We won't challenge for the SEC, but we should at least get an NIT bid. It's only going to be Frank's 3rd season.
The NIT would be a huge accomplishment for next year's team. I think folks should expect about the same as this year, as our non-conference schedule appears pretty tough and we will almost certainly have anemic post play similar to this past season. I think being a bubble team for a possible NIT bid is a realistic goal by 2015-2016.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #53
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
how much longer can we recruit on the fringe and expect to get anywhere against UK or UF?

edit - after watching some tape, he's a pretty good prospect. He's not gonna dominate the paint or anything, but he can actually defend pretty well and is pretty tough. I foresee some attitude issues perhaps, but maybe Frank will take him down a notch or five.

Can't complain about picking up a guy like this so late in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
From what ?
Quote:
He looks overly aggressive in games and turns and taunts guys half his size. Look, I admit to judging him too quickly, but there is a reason he's committing so late. I am just assuming he's no Marcus Lattimore.
There ya go USCbaseball. We don't know all the details of course, but looks like the character issues are likely real. The warning signs were there in his 3 minute highlights. Sometimes you can just tell.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote