CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
Regalcock
Gamecocks1137
b381l
WeStillOwnUSC
Tolley
ColaCock
SwampFox
GamecockGuardsman
taylorssc
TN game weather (1339)
Who is your favorite (1026)
Aliens Are Real (517)
Michigan AD Dave Bra (457)
FSU vs. Louisville (347)
Virgin Spaceship Exp (308)
Need a ride tomorrow (229)
Brady Hoke Motivatio (201)
Talking Animals (176)
Cavs vs. Bulls (154)
Have you ever been so wro
TN game weather
Who is your favorite play
4th down territory
Interesting quotes from D
UT Vols failed to report
Uniforms for Tenn
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
USC/Tennessee 11/1/2014
Cavs vs. Bulls

Old 06-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #61
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit
Default Re: Thank you non-soccer fans.

I'm sorry but I don't believe Mt lattimore should have been banned.
And I was against his thought.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #62
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
What a joke!!! You really want to compare UT to Barcelona?!?!? I know of at least 32 teams that would DESTROY UT in a football game. There have been years that no soccer team, club or international, could beat Barcelona.

Here's another difference. I understand soccer. You had some guy insulting soccer fans about a sport he doesn't understand. Now you're making stupid, ridiculous claims about a college football team and comparing it to a sport you are clueless about.

Love college football all you want (as I do). However, leave the analogies and comparisons of college football to soccer to those of us who understand both. Well us and the other 4 billion plus people in the world who actually like the game of soccer.
Did you miss the 1998 portion of his post? UT games, at that time, were some of the greatest atmospheres in all of the world for any sport. What was Barcelona games like then? I'm willing to bet they weren't like they are now. I'd put going to places like Florida, LSU, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State - I am sure I am missing a couple - on par with any soccer game/stadium you want to ramble on about. At the end of the day, I don't really care if you agree with me, but you apparently think that we all must think only your opinion is correct. Since apparently if we don't agree with you, its only because we are ignorant. Just because someone doesn't like soccer, doesn't mean they don't know the game. It also probably doesn't help getting people to like a sport when their fans act like arrogant pricks to anyone who doesn't fall in lock step with them.

Back to the OP - GO USA...even if it is soccer, jk
Old 06-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #63
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Did you miss the 1998 portion of his post? UT games, at that time, were some of the greatest atmospheres in all of the world for any sport. What was Barcelona games like then? I'm willing to bet they weren't like they are now. I'd put going to places like Florida, LSU, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State - I am sure I am missing a couple - on par with any soccer game/stadium you want to ramble on about. At the end of the day, I don't really care if you agree with me, but you apparently think that we all must think only your opinion is correct. Since apparently if we don't agree with you, its only because we are ignorant. Just because someone doesn't like soccer, doesn't mean they don't know the game. It also probably doesn't help getting people to like a sport when their fans act like arrogant pricks to anyone who doesn't fall in lock step with them.

I love soccer and avidly watch it, but I agree with this post. (Regarding don't agree with parts etc, not what stadium is better)
Old 06-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #64
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:

Let me clarify. You are comparing a 1998 COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAM with being the best in the world - ignoring the 32 NFL teams who would wipe the floor with UT. It's a horrible comparison. Barcelona is one of the top football teams in the world at any level of soccer - club, country, continent, or world. So yes, it is a stupid comparison. I didn't call ANYONE ignorant. It's those of you on here who don't follow or understand soccer that are calling soccer fans names. I just called his argument stupid and idiotic because it's an absurd comparison.

As for environment, I will absolutely agree with you. European soccer is the closest thing to college football in terms of fans, passion, and environment. There are bonds with college football and soccer teams that transcend culture because many people who cheer for those teams because those teams are part of who they are. I've always loved soccer for the same reason that it compares to college football in terms of passion and big crowds.

I also have a problem with those of you non soccer fans calling people names and making comparisons about a sport you don't watch and most don't understand. I follow both sports so I understand the games and comparisons better. I've traveled to see both college football games (including my big tour with Expedia in 2012) and soccer games. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I do have a problem with someone calling other's names and making comparisons between sports which they don't follow or understand.

Soccer is also much, much different than college football in some ways. For example, when Spain was ruled under Franco, the Catalan people were not allowed to speak their language or fly their flag. So the FC Barcelona flag became their symbol of their culture, language, and people. The people have a connection with the team that is part of who they are. It's political, cultural, and a rallying cry for their region and their fight to be recognized in Spain. It would be like flying the Gamecock flag to represent our state if South Carolina and its people weren't acknowledged as a state or part of the US anymore. There's so much more history and culture to soccer that many people don't understand. Admittedly, I didn't understand this stuff until I traveled but I absolutely LOVE the mix of sports, culture, and travel. It's changed the way I look at the world and my love of sports, and now soccer, has opened a door to connect with people and history I may have never been able to do before.

Bottom line - I don't judge you for not watching soccer. I understand that. However, I get pissed off when people call me names or make judgments and comparisons about something they don't understand. I'm sure there are many areas of your life that you feel the same way.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #65
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Okay so let's not regress into American football vs soccer...

The atmospheres are both unique...we should just lock this....sigh. What I get for being grateful
Old 06-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #66
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post

The atmospheres are both unique...we should just lock this....sigh. What I get for being grateful
You should have seen this was coming.

Anyone could.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #67
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:

I like both American football and soccer. I don't have a problem with either. It's those that hate soccer that started this into a downward spiral. At one time, I didn't like soccer either so I get it why people don't.

However, your thread did end up in one person getting banned! Much like FIFA, this thread on soccer exposed its ugly side!
Old 06-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #68
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

so...success?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #69
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
so...success?
Guess that depends on how you (or FIFA) look at things like this.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #70
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly
Default Thank you non-soccer fans.

Quote:

Idk about the atmosphere part. When I was in England playing for a week I went to a few games. I went to a lower tier rivalry (derby) match and the stadium only held 25k. That place was buzzing for 90 minutes and could almost be on par with Williams-Brice. If you really want an atmosphere you should check out BVB (Dortmund) games. I have personally been to a game at Signal Iduna Park and can say they will compete if not beat out the best of the best of atmospheres in football here. Those fans are just extra passionate about that team!! Napoli in Italy is also a very good atmosphere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by SR4-AJ1; 06-13-2014 at 12:28 PM.
SR4-AJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #71
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:

You don't know what you are talking about. And its more out of ignorance than anything. My guess is that you haven't attended any European soccer matches. Not sure why people try to make it a competition.

College football and professional soccer games tend to have almost identical atmospheres in terms of passion and fan fervor. I know this b/c I've been to soccer matches in England and Spain, and seen games at various stadiums in those countries.

I tell folks all of the time: No two sports are more alike in terms of passion than college football and European soccer, and anyone that disagrees has inevitably not witnessed one of the two sports live.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #72
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
You don't know what you are talking about. And its more out of ignorance than anything. My guess is that you haven't attended any European soccer matches. Not sure why people try to make it a competition.

College football and professional soccer games tend to have almost identical atmospheres in terms of passion and fan fervor. I know this b/c I've been to soccer matches in England and Spain, and seen games at various stadiums in those countries.

I tell folks all of the time: No two sports are more alike in terms of passion than college football and European soccer, and anyone that disagrees has inevitably not witnessed one of the two sports live.
Bingo. My sentiments exactly. I think college football and soccer are the most closely related sports in terms of passion by the fans. However, for some places, soccer transcends culture, history, and the people beyond what even college football can do.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #73
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4-AJ1 View Post
Idk about the atmosphere part. When I was in England playing for a week I went to a few games. I went to a lower tier rivalry (derby) match and the stadium only held 25k. That place was buzzing for 90 minutes and could almost be on par with Williams-Brice. If you really want an atmosphere you should check out BVB (Dortmund) games. I have personally been to a game at Signal Iduna Park and can say they will compete if not beat out the best of the best of atmospheres in football here. Those fans are just extra passionate about that team!! Napoli in Italy is also a very good atmosphere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As college football fans, we know what that experience is like. However, for someone who hasn't been to a European soccer game, it's hard to explain. That's why I don't agree with someone saying that they've been to a college football game with a lot of people and can state it's the same as soccer. It's not.

The passions are similar but the experiences are not.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #74
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Bingo. My sentiments exactly. I think college football and soccer are the most closely related sports in terms of passion by the fans. However, for some places, soccer transcends culture, history, and the people beyond what even college football can do.

I understand where you are coming from on this. But my English, Korean, and especially my Spanish friends think they are the same. Especially, as it relates to our love for the University, state, culture, etc. It's all intertwined and in some cases the football is exalted...just like soccer over there.

I think we take the uniqueness of our love for college football for granted b/c it's so ingrained in our everyday lives.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #75
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from on this. But my English, Korean, and especially my Spanish friends think they are the same. Especially, as it relates for our love for the University, state, culture, etc. It's all intertwined and in some cases the football is exalted...just like soccer over there.

I think we take the uniqueness for our love for college football for granted b/c it's so ingrained in our everyday lives.
I agree with you. That's why it's so easy for me to connect with and understand the passion that European soccer fans have. This is what I said above:

European soccer is the closest thing to college football in terms of fans, passion, and environment. There are bonds with college football and soccer teams that transcend culture because many people who cheer for those teams because those teams are part of who they are.

However, see my example of Barcelona. For them, soccer transcends a game, a college experience, and even culture. All of that we get but sometimes soccer is so much bigger and meaningful than even we can relate to as college football fans. In some ways, I think this can be negative (hooliganism is another discussion but delves into the negative side of this passion, culture that goes far beyond the fanatical fan in college football) but we can relate it to college football very easily.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #76
thekob
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from on this. But my English, Korean, and especially my Spanish friends think they are the same. Especially, as it relates to our love for the University, state, culture, etc. It's all intertwined and in some cases the football is exalted...just like soccer over there.

I think we take the uniqueness of our love for college football for granted b/c it's so ingrained in our everyday lives.
That for me is why I follow college football and never could get into the NFL really.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #77
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:

No good deed goes unpunished.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #78
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:

That is what I said. I didn't say college football was better, I said top stadiums were on par with top soccer; that means equal or close to the same. Again, I don't get why soccer fans feel the need to assume everyone is ignorant, just because they don't agree with their opinion.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #79
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
I agree with you. That's why it's so easy for me to connect with and understand the passion that European soccer fans have. This is what I said above:

European soccer is the closest thing to college football in terms of fans, passion, and environment. There are bonds with college football and soccer teams that transcend culture because many people who cheer for those teams because those teams are part of who they are.

However, see my example of Barcelona. For them, soccer transcends a game, a college experience, and even culture. All of that we get but sometimes soccer is so much bigger and meaningful than even we can relate to as college football fans. In some ways, I think this can be negative (hooliganism is another discussion but delves into the negative side of this passion, culture that goes far beyond the fanatical fan in college football) but we can relate it to college football very easily.
I think the main reason behind this is that in many parts of the world Football/Soccer is the only game. They don't really have the split loyalties of College/Pro football, basketball, baseball, NASCAR, and every other sport/team we follow in the States. For most people around the world they follow one sport and two teams club and country. Imagine how fanatical we are about Gamecock Football and then imagine what it would be like if there wasn't any Gamecock Baseball, or basketball or NFL,MLB, or NBA to follow.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #80
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
. Again, I don't get why soccer fans feel the need to assume everyone is ignorant, just because they don't agree with their opinion.
I agree with this.

And I am a soccer fan