CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
spareparts
Acockolypse Now
Lonnie
Spurticus
COCKYTALKIN
elcid99
BiggerLSUfan
markp_vip
Gamecocks1137
sporkgod50
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs (1149)
Ranking the Opposing (1009)
Not a Rival.. (760)
Gamecock Coaches as (576)
help with army insig (410)
NCAA Football 15 (352)
Hello Gamecocks! (280)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (242)
I'm a grand godfathe (240)
George Miller revisi (214)
Clemson Recruiting...how
Gamecock Coaches as Recru
Ced Cooper's 40 Time
2015 - Mon Denson
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Green and Lammons
Parking needed
Not a Rival..
Ranking the Opposing Fanb
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs TxA&

Old 06-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #281
B-G
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit
Default Re: Official World Cup 2014 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
We didn't need to lose that match. We just didn't need to win. A draw would have been fine. The late goal in stoppage time is what got Mexico through. That match was completely meaningless for us because we had already clinched the top spot.
Regardless I was all for ****ing them over , country and soccer team.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #282
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Completely disagree on the PK. They briefly tangled arms but there is no pull. I watched the call numerous times on replay and there is absolutely nothing that warranted a penalty. The brief overlap of the arms and Fred went down like he was shot. There was no contact in any way that caused the player to go down in the box. It was a blatant dive looking for a call and it disgusts me to see a team of this caliber begging for calls.

As for the first goal, yeah it was a bit of luck. As I stated in an earlier post, a lot of games involve some luck. But over the course of 90 minutes, Croatia proved they weren't a lucky team. They created chances and had some shots on goal. I think they are easily the second best team in the group but I will make my final call on that after Mexico v Cameroon.

With Brazil's defense being exposed like that by Croatia, they will get destroyed against better teams. Sure, it was their first game and they can get better but I was not impressed. They were fantastic last year against Spain in the Confederations Cup (I watched that match with a Brazilian friend). They must get back to that if they have ANY shot at the World Cup.
I saw a tug at the left shoulder in a downward manner. No, I agree, it wasn't enough to throw the man to the ground, but it was enough to give the official a reason to make the call. You and I both know Brazil was going to get these type of calls, especially being down 0-1. Here's the way I look at it, if it were the US and we got that same call in our favor...well, would we care? Much less argue? As soon as Croatia scored, I put my money on Brazil to win the match and I figured it would end up 2-1 or 3-1. Brazil is just too talented. I don't want them to win the WC, I want the US to win in some miraculous way. But, I'm thinking Spain or Argentina will end up on top.
Travelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #283
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
I saw a tug at the left shoulder in a downward manner. No, I agree, it wasn't enough to throw the man to the ground, but it was enough to give the official a reason to make the call. You and I both know Brazil was going to get these type of calls, especially being down 0-1. Here's the way I look at it, if it were the US and we got that same call in our favor...well, would we care? Much less argue? As soon as Croatia scored, I put my money on Brazil to win the match and I figured it would end up 2-1 or 3-1. Brazil is just too talented. I don't want them to win the WC, I want the US to win in some miraculous way. But, I'm thinking Spain or Argentina will end up on top.
Go back and watch the play. There's a gif on the previous page. There wasn't a tug at all. His arm made contact but there was no pull at all - especially to bring him down in the way Fred acted.

Call me a purist (or someone who abhors guys like Ronaldo and others who dive and whine when they are some of the strongest, fittest athletes in the world and then act like they've been shot at the slightest tough) but I don't like the game being played that way. If Jozy or Clint went down like that, I'd be embarrassed.

Yes, Brazil may get those calls (go back a page or so to read my thoughts on FIFA getting involved to make sure Brazil wins for the sake of the World Cup and the safety of the country) but they don't need to play like that to win. That was as blatant as it gets. That's about as little contact as I've ever seen for a foul in the box. Then you look at the number of fouls for Brazil overall while Croatia had a number of hard fouls against them completely ignored.

I hate FIFA. I hate their corruption. I'm not going to go so far as to say they were involved in this but Brazil definitely didn't need to play like that. Regardless, they were exposed and better improve A LOT if they have any hope of winning this thing (FIFA corruption or not).

EDIT: On the foul, I had been looking at his right arm on the play. I just went back and looked at his left arm. I can see why the ref thought it was a foul but it really wasn't. On a call like that, you better be sure he pulled him down. And there's no way you can justify saying that he did.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #284
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

http://www.mlssoccer.com/worldcup/20...ampaign=Unpaid

Quote:
Here's another angle of the dive, which was unquestionably the turning point of the game:
lol
Biocockanics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #285
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Go back and watch the play. There's a gif on the previous page. There wasn't a tug at all. His arm made contact but there was no pull at all - especially to bring him down in the way Fred acted.

Call me a purist (or someone who abhors guys like Ronaldo and others who dive and whine when they are some of the strongest, fittest athletes in the world and then act like they've been shot at the slightest tough) but I don't like the game being played that way. If Jozy or Clint went down like that, I'd be embarrassed.

Yes, Brazil may get those calls (go back a page or so to read my thoughts on FIFA getting involved to make sure Brazil wins for the sake of the World Cup and the safety of the country) but they don't need to play like that to win. That was as blatant as it gets. That's about as little contact as I've ever seen for a foul in the box. Then you look at the number of fouls for Brazil overall while Croatia had a number of hard fouls against them completely ignored.

I hate FIFA. I hate their corruption. I'm not going to go so far as to say they were involved in this but Brazil definitely didn't need to play like that. Regardless, they were exposed and better improve A LOT if they have any hope of winning this thing (FIFA corruption or not).

EDIT: On the foul, I had been looking at his right arm on the play. I just went back and looked at his left arm. I can see why the ref thought it was a foul but it really wasn't. On a call like that, you better be sure he pulled him down. And there's no way you can justify saying that he did.
Ok, so now you have seen the angle I'm talking about. It lead to the call. i'm not trying to justify it, i think it was a soft call, but IT GAVE HIM REASON to make the call.

Diving in soccer is part of the game. It's not always done to deceive, but usually to draw attention to the possible penalty. Also, a lot of times the foul does hurt like hell. Like it or not,the US team will be doing it just as much as anyone. Except Italy. They take it to the extreme. I honestly despise The Azzurri. I hope they lose every match.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #286
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Ok, so now you have seen the angle I'm talking about. It lead to the call. i'm not trying to justify it, i think it was a soft call, but IT GAVE HIM REASON to make the call.

Diving in soccer is part of the game. It's not always done to deceive, but usually to draw attention to the possible penalty. Also, a lot of times the foul does hurt like hell. Like it or not,the US team will be doing it just as much as anyone. Except Italy. They take it to the extreme. I honestly despise The Azzurri. I hope they lose every match.
This is why they need to penalize diving. It needs to stop. Suspend players from matches for diving. A warning and yellow card first time, a suspension next time it happens. That wasn't a foul in the field of play. Does Fred dive like that if he isn't in the box? Absolutely not!!!

On a play in the box like that, ref needs to be absolutely certain that it's the right call. Otherwise, play on.

Someone made a point on another site. On fouls in the box, review them. Yes, soccer is slow to do replay. However, those calls are worth reviewing. If it's a foul, let it stand. If it's a dive, yellow card.

On a side note, how much different would this match had been if Croatia had Mandzukic?!
Old 06-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #287
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mrloganrhoad...ed-of-2022-wor

http://www.thescore.com/worldcup/news/518899

You decide which to believe
Old 06-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #288
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
This is why they need to penalize diving. It needs to stop. Suspend players from matches for diving. A warning and yellow card first time, a suspension next time it happens. That wasn't a foul in the field of play. Does Fred dive like that if he isn't in the box? Absolutely not!!!

On a play in the box like that, ref needs to be absolutely certain that it's the right call. Otherwise, play on.

Someone made a point on another site. On fouls in the box, review them. Yes, soccer is slow to do replay. However, those calls are worth reviewing. If it's a foul, let it stand. If it's a dive, yellow card.

On a side note, how much different would this match had been if Croatia had Mandzukic?!
2-1 Brazil or a draw. Don't forget why he was out. Dirty foul and it cost his national team dearly.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #289
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBird View Post
That was a pretty debilitating knee-to-the-butt right there
He got corndogged

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #290
boowilliam4
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talons

I think that the USA has a good shot if the refs will just let them play ball. I have a feeling that we aren't going to get many calls our way.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #291
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...743937&fref=nf

minions video, lol
Old 06-12-2014, 10:19 PM   #292
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowilliam4 View Post
I think that the USA has a good shot if the refs will just let them play ball. I have a feeling that we aren't going to get many calls our way.
I'm not concerned at all with the officiating. We need to win the mid field battles and give our playmakers a chance to do something. Good passing and hard nose defending should take us a long way in Brazil.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #293
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

You should be worried about officiating. Croatia played pretty stiff defense but the refs can manufacture fouls
Old 06-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #294
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
You should be worried about officiating. Croatia played pretty stiff defense but the refs can manufacture fouls
Close thread. Pull the team from the tourney. It's rigged!
Old 06-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #295
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

haha, not that severe...it happens in every tournament is all I'm sayin.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:03 PM   #296
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Close thread. Pull the team from the tourney. It's rigged!
It might be. Don't underestimate the powers of the dark side (aka FIFA)
Old 06-12-2014, 11:30 PM   #297
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talons

I am starting to get more and more excited for the first group game for us!! CANT CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:58 AM   #298
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
It might be. Don't underestimate the powers of the dark side (aka FIFA)
True, but unless we start seeing a lot and I mean a lot of yellow and red cards against teams that poise a threat to Brazil, I say it's wide open and the best team will win, or luckiest...

----------------

I just read this same ref failed to award Kaka a PK vs Netherlands at the 2010 WC, the game that knocked Brazil out. Hmmm, maybe he wanted to make amends by blowing his whistle prematurely...

Last edited by Travelin; 06-13-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #299
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Posted by a Facebook friend from England (and sorry if it or similar was posted here already):

The England Football Squad visited a Brazilian orphanage yesterday. "It's heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope" said Jose aged 6.
Take one star crunch. Then take lots of peanut butter and layer it THICK on the flat side. After that slam another star crunch on top of the peanut butter. Finally, slap yo momma. For those of you trying to "watch what you eat" don't add the second star crunch. This is the diet version-etowngangsta
JerseyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:16 AM   #300
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Diving in soccer is part of the game. It's not always done to deceive.

You lost me there...it is inherently done to deceive.