CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
johnnyb
taylorssc
doubledribble
Lonnie
GarnetSwarm1990
Gamecocks321
QCB
l^l^lBGCock
So Disappointed With (2634)
Rank the QBs under S (1859)
Back like cooked cra (1478)
No Comments on the H (801)
Who start on the d l (714)
Google finally gets (471)
lack of production= (377)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (231)
Gameday parking in A (163)
Call of Duty: Advanc (118)
Texas athletic director:
Why I think we beat Aubur
Call of Duty: Advanced Wa
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Tennessee game
Rank the QBs under Spurri
So Disappointed With The
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
The Gator Bowl wants us!
Back like cooked crack

Old 06-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #81
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material
Default Re: Thank you non-soccer fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
I'm sorry but I don't believe Mt lattimore should have been banned.
And I was against his thought.
I'm sorry you feel that way.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #82
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 20459
jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

Once again, a soccer comparison to college football discussion turns to one side using words like stupid, ridiculous and ignorant. Let's just say that I have been involved with soccer for awhile thus I am not ignorant about the sport; I just feel that for me, college football is the best sport in the world. I hope to be able to say that in 2014, I witnessed the best team in the world playing the best sport in the world along with nearly 90,000 others inside the Brice!
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #83
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussjr View Post
Once again, a soccer comparison to college football discussion turns to one side using words like stupid, ridiculous and ignorant. Let's just say that I have been involved with soccer for awhile thus I am not ignorant about the sport; I just feel that for me, college football is the best sport in the world. I hope to be able to say that in 2014, I witnessed the best team in the world playing the best sport in the world along with nearly 90,000 others inside the Brice!
I agree with your sentiments about college football. However, I don't think you understand the culture of soccer beyond the US. It's a different experience as many have alluded to in this thread (Travelin, Nureye, myself). I didn't call you ignorant but the comparisons to something you haven't experienced, whereas others have, isn't something that can be justified. You can't accurately compare something you haven't experienced.

I don't think it's fair to say the winner of the national title in college football is the best team in the world. That's not accurate as there is another league with 32 teams that are better. I do agree about the best sport in the world and hoping we are the best team in college football.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #84
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

flustered
Old 06-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #85
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
I agree with your sentiments about college football. However, I don't think you understand the culture of soccer beyond the US. It's a different experience as many have alluded to in this thread (Travelin, Nureye, myself). I didn't call you ignorant but the comparisons to something you haven't experienced, whereas others have, isn't something that can be justified. You can't accurately compare something you haven't experienced.

I don't think it's fair to say the winner of the national title in college football is the best team in the world. That's not accurate as there is another league with 32 teams that are better. I do agree about the best sport in the world and hoping we are the best team in college football.

Wow, so you just assume that I have not been to see Real Madrid, watched Kaka or Messi in person, or taken in a match in with friends in a German pub!

Yes, I can say that the National Champion in college football team is the best team in the world since what other country has college football teams that could rival our product here in the States.

You seem to be missing the basic thought here: you feel that soccer is the best sport in the world while I feel that college football is the best sport in the world. Also, the NFL may be the "next level" of football but the game there and the game in college are not the same.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #86
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Wow, so you just assume that I have not been to see Real Madrid, watched Kaka or Messi in person, or taken in a match in with friends in a German pub!

Yes, I can say that the National Champion in college football team is the best team in the world since what other country has college football teams that could rival our product here in the States.

You seem to be missing the basic thought here: you feel that soccer is the best sport in the world while I feel that college football is the best sport in the world. Also, the NFL may be the "next level" of football but the game there and the game in college are not the same.
You are correct. My original argument started with someone who didn't know anything about soccer and started insulting people. You jumped in on the argument and I projected my frustrations about him and what he was doing on you. My apologies.

With that said, I still disagree with your argument. I was comparing the sport of soccer and the sport of football - not just a segment of football like college. You can say Barcelona is the best soccer team in the world - regardless of league, country, continent, professional, amateur, etc. You can't say that about college football because they aren't the best football team in the world.

My argument with the original poster that extended to you was comparing a sport (and insulting the fans) with which he had no experience. It's like saying Hawaii has better beaches than Brazil when you've never been to Brazil and think that those who have been there are idiots for liking Brazilian beaches.

I never said soccer is the best sport in the world. You are putting words in my mouth. It is the most popular sport in the world. If you have been to Real Madrid or had other soccer experiences around the world, you can understand how the passion and connection to college football is similar yet the experiences and culture behind it are a little different.

My frustration is people who hate soccer, insult those of us who do, yet have never watched or experienced a soccer match (especially abroad). As I've stated, I get it that there are those who don't like it. Until I watched it and experienced it, I never did either. I just don't want people insulting me about it or offering blind opinions for which they have no understanding or experiences. I realize now that may not apply to you but did apply to the original poster (hence my frustrations and reply to his comments).
Old 06-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #87
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
You are correct. My original argument started with someone who didn't know anything about soccer and started insulting people. You jumped in on the argument and I projected my frustrations about him and what he was doing on you. My apologies.

With that said, I still disagree with your argument. I was comparing the sport of soccer and the sport of football - not just a segment of football like college. You can say Barcelona is the best soccer team in the world - regardless of league, country, continent, professional, amateur, etc. You can't say that about college football because they aren't the best football team in the world.

My argument with the original poster that extended to you was comparing a sport (and insulting the fans) with which he had no experience. It's like saying Hawaii has better beaches than Brazil when you've never been to Brazil and think that those who have been there are idiots for liking Brazilian beaches.

I never said soccer is the best sport in the world. You are putting words in my mouth. It is the most popular sport in the world. If you have been to Real Madrid or had other soccer experiences around the world, you can understand how the passion and connection to college football is similar yet the experiences and culture behind it are a little different.

My frustration is people who hate soccer, insult those of us who do, yet have never watched or experienced a soccer match (especially abroad). As I've stated, I get it that there are those who don't like it. Until I watched it and experienced it, I never did either. I just don't want people insulting me about it or offering blind opinions for which they have no understanding or experiences. I realize now that may not apply to you but did apply to the original poster (hence my frustrations and reply to his comments).
Understand and no hard feelings. I just like discussions whereby two differing views can be discussed without "gnashing of teeth" or "throwing of dung" as lower primates tend to do.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #88
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Understand and no hard feelings. I just like discussions whereby two differing views can be discussed without "gnashing of teeth" or "throwing of dung" as lower primates tend to do.
I understand that and agree. However, look at what happened in this thread - insults towards people and a sport in which he had no understanding or experience. My apologies that I jumped to the same conclusions about you.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #89
St. Louis Gamecock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
St. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his comb

Count me as one that is totally ignorant of soccer. I have no clue as to how itís played or the positions. If I happen to catch some of a game on TV, to me it is boring with a capital B (just like golf)! Some of my buds up here are crazy and excited beyond belief about the World Cup. Me? I just donít get it - which certainly is not to diminish its importance.

Iím also one of those that if I saw the USA beat Croatia 1-0 or if Croatia beat the USA 1-0 I would feel absolutely no different. Just like USA professional basketball in the Olympics. Zzzz . . .
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #90
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Thanks for your contribution..lol...seriously, I know there's alot of non fans but I thank them for not being those guys that come in to blast the game and we fans.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #91
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Louis Gamecock View Post
Count me as one that is totally ignorant of soccer. I have no clue as to how it’s played or the positions. If I happen to catch some of a game on TV, to me it is boring with a capital B (just like golf)! Some of my buds up here are crazy and excited beyond belief about the World Cup. Me? I just don’t get it - which certainly is not to diminish its importance.

I’m also one of those that if I saw the USA beat Croatia 1-0 or if Croatia beat the USA 1-0 I would feel absolutely no different. Just like USA professional basketball in the Olympics. Zzzz . . .
Not being a fan is OK; however, not being a fan while making outlandish statements against the sport is not OK.

Soccer is what I like to call a "low maintenance" sport, unlike football which, other than motorsports, is probably the highest maintenance sport. IMO....a big reason soccer is so prevalent throughout the world is low startup cost. Small economy countries do not have the resources to devote to football; however, soccer they can do. With our economy shrinking here in the states, soccer will become the sport of choice in many locales because of the low cost to field a team.

Soccer can be borish because we here in the states are used to fast paced scoring. Soccer is fast paced; however, scoring is not if both teams are somewhat evenly matched. IMO, soccer is much akin to a good game of chess, ever watch a chess match on TV?
Old 06-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #92
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I understand that and agree. However, look at what happened in this thread - insults towards people and a sport in which he had no understanding or experience. My apologies that I jumped to the same conclusions about you.
You have made an assumption that is false about me. I have experience and know soccer. I did not insult you first, you attack me and others first. You continue to insult anyone and say the are ignorant of soccer if they don't agree with you. I don't really get how you don't realize your arrogant and pretentious attitude to others, while condemning anyone who at all acts similar to you.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #93
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
You have made an assumption that is false about me. I have experience and know soccer. I did not insult you first, you attack me and others first. You continue to insult anyone and say the are ignorant of soccer if they don't agree with you. I don't really get how you don't realize your arrogant and pretentious attitude to others, while condemning anyone who at all acts similar to you.
I realize my response was to someone who attacked and insulted me, others, and soccer. When others jumped in, I carried those same assumptions over to others. I still resent others insulting me and making comparisons about things they don't know anything about. I don't apologize for that. If you don't fit into that, I apologize for lumping you in.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #94
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Hey bro, chill, he's well traveled.
B-G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #95
GamecockGuardsman
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPit

I know nothing about soccer. I've tried to understand it and watch it but just can't get into it. There are so many different leagues and teams...I can't really get a grasp on the sport. However, I will say I am impressed with the fans of soccer b/c the really get involved with their sport. Living in South Carolina, the only soccer to watch in person is high school, college, or the minor league team in Charleston. Who knows....soccer is starting to grow throughout the United States and maybe one day I might enjoy it.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:49 AM   #96
Sonofacock
Mothershouldibuilthedwall

Male

Sonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot material

Not a fan, but I love the world cup.
It's my guilty pleasure
Old 06-14-2014, 04:54 AM   #97
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

CockyCash: 10200
eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree

1 Team 1 Nation. USA! Its subjective. The beat athletes in this country are busy playing other sports.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #98
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 17972586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Soccer is growing. Tremendously. As far as television goes, it's going to blow past a number of sports in the coming decades.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #99
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
Soccer is growing. Tremendously. As far as television goes, it's going to blow past a number of sports in the coming decades.
People have been saying this for 20 years. World Cup will always have good ratings but I don't expect the European league numbers and definitely not MLS ratings to go up much. I think soccer is hitting its peak in the USA. I could be wrong, but just don't see soccer spreading too much further.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #100
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
People have been saying this for 20 years. World Cup will always have good ratings but I don't expect the European league numbers and definitely not MLS ratings to go up much. I think soccer is hitting its peak in the USA. I could be wrong, but just don't see soccer spreading too much further.
I'll say that the MLS will garner ratings right behind the big 2 in college sports and big 4 pro sports
B-G is online now   Reply With Quote