CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
thekob
Lonnie
elcid99
COCKYTALKIN
Roosterboy
ertman420
garnet_black215
Master Bedroom
USCBASEBALL1
Clemson Recruiting.. (4705)
Clowney Spares RB Bi (2065)
Hello Gamecocks! (810)
Marching band (742)
John Rocker at rock (731)
My predictions for 2 (445)
Muschamp + fan = win (365)
Section 16 (361)
Good Article on Aubu (268)
Does anyone know how (264)
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
Question on Student Secti
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
NCAA Concussion Settlemen
2016 Commitment - Kyle Da
2015 Commitment - Marquav
Tennessee
2015 - Dallas Warmack - A
Gamecock Coaches as Recru
My predictions for 2014

Old 06-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #41
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 0
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material
Default Re: D-line Progress

I take comfort in Coach being one of the world's best at moving and stopping the offspring of the inflated pig's bladder. And Whammy knows a thing or two about consistently winning 11 games. Also, each of our DL players know that #7, #90 and #99 are gone, that playing time is wide open and it's time to man up. So we as fans have a choice. We can support and encourage them as they train and prepare for Carolina's greatest season of greatness, or plant doubt in the mind of every DL player who reads here, suggesting that our line doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #42
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatBamaTwice View Post
I take comfort in Coach being one of the world's best at moving and stopping the offspring of the inflated pig's bladder. And Whammy knows a thing or two about consistently winning 11 games. Also, each of our DL players know that #7, #90 and #99 are gone, that playing time is wide open and it's time to man up. So we as fans have a choice. We can support and encourage them as they train and prepare for Carolina's greatest season of greatness, or plant doubt in the mind of every DL player who reads here, suggesting that our line doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell.
1. No one is saying they don't have a snowballs chance that I can tell. That is a straw man that's pretty easy to flail against.

2. I hope none of our team goes to Cockytalk for motivation. That would be...different.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #43
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
Because we are a no-name defense in 2014 panic is ensuing among the faithful. We mustn't forget we have good overall talent and size in great quantity. Games played on hot Saturdays last 4 long quarters. While other teams wither and die we can continue to rotate while maintaining strength.
It's going to be very tough going offensively for most teams to play a defense that can cycle in 30 players during 4 quarters. A conveyor belt of no-nams run by Whammy; If you will. This focus on the individual is not the proper viewpoint from which to judge our likely success on defense.
Take off your high powered Clowney glasses and put on your wide focus no-name glasses. Keep a roster beside you at all times so you can keep up with the Whammy conveyor belt
I think you quoted the wrong person in your response, or failed to read what I wrote.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #44
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
I have said a few times that I feel similarly to the way you do, with a caveat. Our pressure is going to need to come from the interior linemen or LB/safety blitzes as opposed to the defensive end pressure we've seen for so long. But there were times our DE's lost outside containment on the edge because they were so sack focused. Clowney @ Georgia last year as a prime example. I really believe if our ends can hold the edges and slip their blocks to tackle at the right time we can have a very effective defense that will just look different than in years past.

I would expect us to give up more big plays overall, and our opponents to have more time of possession. Our offense needs to really avoid the 3 and outs or it can snowball.
Georgia ran student body right (to our left) several times last year and the end and linebacker on that side didn't play upfield all day so backside pursuit (Clowney) didn't even have time to get there before the tailback was upfield with blockers. Thankfully the linebackers improved after about 7 games. I, like you, think we will get pressure from different places this year and will likely have more sacks because more teams will throw downfield. Most long gainers against us last year were short passes with terrible pursuit by linebackers and DB's. Those plays make coaches throw their hats and stuff (even yell at each other). This year, I think they will test our deep coverage much more and be more vulnerable to stunts and middle pressure. I hope we will have the quickness up front to contain and smack flushed quarterbacks. Mobile guys like Auburn worry me more without Clowney. Clowney was running back fast, and if you rolled out either way you were likely to pay. If we don't contain rollouts or flush-outs or step-ups, our safeties may be toast. If they have to help with run support because of linebackers who bite on fakes or take poor angles, we could give up big plays. I agree that there's much more to pressure than pass rush.
Goofyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #45
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

The DL is our Achilles heel this year. I fear we lose several games based on this vulnerability...like UGA.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #46
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 View Post
The DL is our Achilles heel this year. I fear we lose several games based on this vulnerability...like UGA.
Have to agree with this. Lots of questions up front for us, and Gurley in week three probably won't do much to answer those questions.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #47
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
If they have to help with run support because of linebackers who bite on fakes or take poor angles, we could give up big plays.
Then will come the flood of demands that we fire Whammy immediately!

We may have to win some shoot outs this year....not my preference, but a win is a win. I do take comfort in our running game and OL....if we can control the clock, it will be advantageous.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #48
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
I just don't see this at all. Spurrier himself said it was Clowney who made Quarles an All American.
We have lost a superstar in Clowney but we aren't short of DL. We have more talented DL this year than last year. We can play 4 quarters with fresh DL without a drop off in talent. Few schools can say that. It is rare in USC history to be able to say that but we can today.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #49
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I think our DL will be a lot better against the run this year. We'll have to send 5 guys to get pressure every once in a while but it will be a good defense. We may not have a lot of good Pass rushing DE but we have some really strong dudes that can push around an OL. You Give me Dixon on one side, Surratt and Griffin in the middle and Johnson the other side. That is a wall.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #50
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

jrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPit

Quote:
After the uga game, we will realize that our D-Line is covered by the river Styx and not even a guided arrow from Paris can penetrate it! At least that is what I am envisioning.
jrussjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #51
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
I have said a few times that I feel similarly to the way you do, with a caveat. Our pressure is going to need to come from the interior linemen or LB/safety blitzes as opposed to the defensive end pressure we've seen for so long. But there were times our DE's lost outside containment on the edge because they were so sack focused. Clowney @ Georgia last year as a prime example. I really believe if our ends can hold the edges and slip their blocks to tackle at the right time we can have a very effective defense that will just look different than in years past.

I would expect us to give up more big plays overall, and our opponents to have more time of possession. Our offense needs to really avoid the 3 and outs or it can snowball.

BINGO, except 19 of our 25 sacks last year came from the interior line, LB's and secondary, it worked fine last year and will work better this year with more experienced players at LB, safety and the interior line IMO
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #52
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Who is "our"?
Just like last year the LB's were going...uga better find a QB before they worry about our DL, if we can stack the box and set the tone our D will dominate uga but if not our offense is ready to kick the dawgs off the porch as well! Davis out gained Gurley last year on half the carries, they better worry about stopping Davis!
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #53
SnellvilleSpur
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 3313
SnellvilleSpur rules the CockPitSnellvilleSpur rules the CockPitSnellvilleSpur rules the CockPitSnellvilleSpur rules the CockPitSnellvilleSpur rules the CockPitSnellvilleSpur rules the CockPitSnellvilleSpur rules the CockPitSnellvilleSpur rules the CockPitSnellvilleSpur rules the CockPitSnellvilleSpur rules the CockPitSnellvilleSpur rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGamecock3307 View Post
A little surprised to see dukes at #1 at the second dt position instead of Dixon jr but I'm glad he is. If he can play up to his potential this year it would be amazing for our d line.
Agreed. If Dukes is outpacing DixonJr, then that means Dukes is badazz...which also means he is living up to potential. Anyone who's seen Dukes in action in HS, well, you know Dukes has a nasty streak. Bringing that streak up to the next level has been a challenge for him, but I love the idea of thinking that Dukes has arrived.

This is no knock on DixonJr, who is also one serious interior presence. It just means we have no inside two-depth weakness. Flush'em out and let the DEs and LBs wrack up.

We gonna be nasty on D in 2014.
SnellvilleSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #54
dieselcock
Blue Chip

Male

dieselcock has feathers coming indieselcock has feathers coming indieselcock has feathers coming in

Towards the end of the year Dixon looked really strong coming off the edge...I think he will be a lot better this year..I believe with the DT's we have,we will see a better push up the middle,and Dixon and English will surprise a lot of people this year..Dixon has always been in Clowney's shadow,and I think he's better than he gets credit for..Hell,Melvin Ingram didn't shine until Norwood was gone...we'll be fine if we get the CB's straight..
Old 06-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #55
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcock View Post
Towards the end of the year Dixon looked really strong coming off the edge...I think he will be a lot better this year..I believe with the DT's we have,we will see a better push up the middle,and Dixon and English will surprise a lot of people this year..Dixon has always been in Clowney's shadow,and I think he's better than he gets credit for..Hell,Melvin Ingram didn't shine until Norwood was gone...we'll be fine if we get the CB's straight..
We have several potential Melvin Ingram candidates this year such as Dixon. Lamin, Surrat, Green, English and others. This is what I like about college football. These are talented players we couldn't recruit prior to Spurrier's tenure. The potential for breakout players to emerge among this DL crew is very likely. These guys weren't run of the mill recruits that just any program could obtain. Look at Lamin: he's only just arrived and already he was the top new player in spring ball.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:23 AM   #56
GarnetSwarm1990
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
Darius English is the 3rd strongest pound for pound player on the team with long arms and speed he will be the guy at DE this year, as a RS SO this is his year to burst on to the scene!
I am inclined to agree. He's definitely found a nutrition plan that works and he's committed himself in the weight room. Everything looks as though he's ready to make a big impact.
GarnetSwarm1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #57
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

the good news about the lack of a returning all sec de and cb is the qb play in the sec is just as much of an unknown. we're likely going to be more susceptible to big plays, but the linebackers and safeties will have opportunities to make big plays themselves which will be key to us being as good as we hope.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #58
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

Quote:
The Achilles heel will be our secondary. Loads of talent but no experience. The current DL and DB situation is likely to be similiar to our LB issue last year.
GarnetArmy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #59
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

The secondary is not in too bad of shape if it's Williams/Gurley/Elder/McWilliams. In fact I think they could be dominant.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #60
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
The secondary is not in too bad of shape if it's Williams/Gurley/Elder/McWilliams. In fact I think they could be dominant.
It would not surprise me at all to see Williams as one of our corners especially early in the season.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote