CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JulesWinnfield90
black_magic85
rolinb1
BiscoCocky
BlueHerons
Gamecocks1137
trapper82
StormOfTalons
Aggie96
nodnahs
TAMU Starting CB Out (1837)
Clemson RB Out for Y (1559)
an apology (1221)
Clowney possibly hur (1111)
Your SEC Standings P (983)
Our players and the (961)
2013 game vs TN is o (925)
They are coming to y (885)
Favorite Gamecock of (630)
Spurrier: Davis May (594)
an apology
Spurrier: Davis May Not B
2015 Commitment - Zack Ba
TAMU Starting CB Out For
Your SEC Standings Predic
How are we feeling about
First "Carolina Call
Connor Shaw Browns
Clemson RB Out for Year
texags

Old 06-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default BBQ tips!!

I've got a 3 LB pork shoulder that I am looking to slow cook. My only problem is I am not smoking it. I have to make it either in the oven or in a crock pot. Anyone have some suggestions as to the best way to cook it? My thought is about 6-7 hours at 225. Please share some tips.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
rdwylie
My safe word is whiskey.

Male

CockyCash: 400
rdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot material
Default Re: BBQ tips!!

Do you have a BBQ grill. You could set up an indirect smoker if you did. Otherwise I have had success with this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/f...es-recipe.html
Old 06-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Let me add that I live in an apartment complex and am trying to cook this meat while at work. I work 20 miles away so coming back to check on it is a no go.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
rdwylie
My safe word is whiskey.

Male

CockyCash: 400
rdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot material

OOOOOOOOOH! Crock pot BBQ can be good! Use a little liquid smoke too in addition to the recipe above.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #5
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
I've got a 3 LB pork shoulder that I am looking to slow cook. My only problem is I am not smoking it. I have to make it either in the oven or in a crock pot. Anyone have some suggestions as to the best way to cook it? My thought is about 6-7 hours at 225. Please share some tips.
ya gotsta ta bass it if you put it in the ubbeen
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:00 PM   #6
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
K so oven is out lol thanks
Old 06-16-2014, 11:15 PM   #7
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
K so oven is out lol thanks
You don't have to baste. I've had good success just using a dry rub in the oven, wrapping in foil, and letting it go overnight. I still recommend either putting it in a deep pan of some sort or putting one below the meat. There will be a lot of dripping.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:31 AM   #8
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwylie View Post
OOOOOOOOOH! Crock pot BBQ can be good! Use a little liquid smoke too in addition to the recipe above.
I've done this. Prior to getting a smoker this is a decent work around. However, nothing can replace the taste of smoking a pork shoulder for hours. Low and slow. You can get the same consistency. Its good. You can't get that bark and true smoke flavor in a crock pot. If my shirt and under shirt don't smell like smoke after cooking a shoulder, then I don't appreciate it as much.

I like to switch my rubs up all the time. I always use cinnamon in pork. It's magical. Maybe you could rub it, broil it on 7 minutes each side to create a bark, then throw it in the crock pot for several hours. I sometimes broil my brisket for a few minutes after letting it sit at room temp for 30 mins before throwing it on the smoker.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Crock pot. Lots of recipes if yo Google. I've used some during inclement weather and such. Here is one: http://genxfinance.com/crock-pot-bbq...sy-and-frugal/

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #10
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Just came across these recipes today. Even quotes a gal from Columbia talking about an Asian pulled pork recipe. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/c...ampaign=buffer

Quote:
It's almost sacrilegious for a South Carolinian from the capitol city to make any sauce for pulled pork except mustard-based. But we love this Asian-inspired Ginger Sauce. Wonderful in a sandwich it's also great over rice.
óMary Marlowe Leverette, Columbia, South Carolina

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #11
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

We cooked it in the crock pot and it turned out really well. The meat tastes great even without sauce. I think letting it sit overnight with the dry run applied made it delicious. Making a spicy vinegar based sauce to go with it.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #12
Ole Gregg
make an assessment

Male

CockyCash: 7567085
Ole Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot material

check out best odds bbq sauce.http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuesauc...r/bl40424b.htm
there is also a table sauce. I like the pulled pork sauce. don't miss the cayenne further down in the recipe
w
\.
" Are you playing your love games with me? "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxaP19pY1FI
Ole Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote