CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Order 66
snruter amabon
b381l
wumarshall82
Spur's Addiction
U-Dub Gamecock
HeadCockFan
Yearofthegamecock
Cockyteg
Take-a-Knee
Can it get any bette (1157)
Auburn Stealing Sign (1066)
Funny Golf Story Abo (928)
Defense Tackles (809)
I used to like bush (787)
Boo This Man... (703)
georgia rewind... (672)
SEC East vs. SEC Wes (402)
Stay focus (331)
Doniyah Cliney to si (259)
Stadium improvement idea
uniforms saturday
Good crowd for volleyball
Winston
**official Vandy predicti
Doniyah Cliney to sit out
Can it get any better!
Where to Watch the Game i
2016 - Collin Hill
Boo This Man...

Old 06-17-2014, 12:15 AM   #1
KJHillis
Champ

Male

CockyCash: 500
KJHillis has developed his gaff and talonsKJHillis has developed his gaff and talonsKJHillis has developed his gaff and talonsKJHillis has developed his gaff and talonsKJHillis has developed his gaff and talonsKJHillis has developed his gaff and talonsKJHillis has developed his gaff and talonsKJHillis has developed his gaff and talonsKJHillis has developed his gaff and talonsKJHillis has developed his gaff and talonsKJHillis has developed his gaff and talons
Default Why did we ever switch from garnet helmets??

God, those things were sweet. I know some people don't care what the Gamecocks wear, but I think the garnet helmets were iconic.

Anyways, that's all I have to say about that.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit
Default Re: Why did we ever switch from garnet helmets??

Well some don't care but you have to wonder why we have changed and continue to change our uniforms. I have the feeling it's just under armor but not positive. I personally love the old jerseys and helmets you speak of maybe instead of the wounded warrior jerseys that we wear and always lose in we can wear our old jersey look?
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:12 AM   #3
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Lou Holtz
Old 06-17-2014, 03:18 AM   #4
GarnetSwarm1990
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons

We switch up because recruits and players like variety and new stuff. It's a recruiting tool. Why else do you think Oregon has a new Uni every week.

Schools that don't have great tradition like So Cal, Texas, OU, Penn State etc. need to keep up with the jones's by changing their uni's every few years.

I for one like the new stuff too. I get bored seeing the same uni's year after year.

I would however love to see us in throwback uni's for one game a year. I think that would look awesome.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:32 AM   #5
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

We switched because lou thought there were to many red helmets in the sec. Bama, arky, msu, uga. At the time only Tennessee was wearing white helmets maybe UK some but it wasn't their main helmet. Lou went white helmets and changed out jerseys making the whole look similar to Penn st
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:03 AM   #6
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
Lou Holtz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
We switched because lou thought there were to many red helmets in the sec. Bama, arky, msu, uga. At the time only Tennessee was wearing white helmets maybe UK some but it wasn't their main helmet. Lou went white helmets and changed out jerseys making the whole look similar to Penn st

^
This

Lou wanted a more "disciplined" image for the Gamecocks team. He
went more toward the Army, Navy, Penn State .... and of course,
Notre Dame look. For the first two / three years with Lou as our head
coach, we didn't have names on the backs of the jerseys either. He said
he wanted to promote "TEAM" instead of "ME". ?!?!?

One of the first things Spurrier was asked on his call in show when he
took over the program was "would he consider switching to a Black or
Garnet Helmet" ? ... Spurrier said he liked the white helmet and uniform
because it was cooler to play in, in the early fall when temps were still
in the 80/90s here.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:34 AM   #7
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

It all comes down to coolness
Old 06-17-2014, 07:24 AM   #8
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJHillis View Post
God, those things were sweet. I know some people don't care what the Gamecocks wear, but I think the garnet helmets were iconic.

Anyways, that's all I have to say about that.
They make it harder for the QB to spot receivers during his scan.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #9
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
^
This

Lou wanted a more "disciplined" image for the Gamecocks team. He
went more toward the Army, Navy, Penn State .... and of course,
Notre Dame look. For the first two / three years with Lou as our head
coach, we didn't have names on the backs of the jerseys either. He said
he wanted to promote "TEAM" instead of "ME". ?!?!?

One of the first things Spurrier was asked on his call in show when he
took over the program was "would he consider switching to a Black or
Garnet Helmet" ? ... Spurrier said he liked the white helmet and uniform
because it was cooler to play in, in the early fall when temps were still
in the 80/90s here.
Lou took the names off the ND jerseys when he was there. The no names was more of a Holtz thing than an ND thing.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Lou wanted a more "disciplined" image for the Gamecocks team.
Yes....he was trying to move us away from the BS era and the unis were associated with it.

I still wish we'd have retro unis from the '84 team. Would be so cool to see those again...our best ever!
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #11
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

If you look at the history of our program white helmets are our traditional look.

But the main reason was Lou, and someone summed it up about the number of red helmets in the sec.

Also, the garnet helmets don't look all that sweet on TV. Sometimes they looked brown, and/or didn't match the color on our jerseys.

Anywho, OBC ain't going away from white helmets.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #12
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

I think I'm the only person that likes the white helmet.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #13
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
If you look at the history of our program white helmets are our traditional look.
Not really. The garnet helmets are just as much of a traditon as the white...and may more so considering the Morrison years.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #14
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
We switch up because recruits and players like variety and new stuff. It's a recruiting tool. Why else do you think Oregon has a new Uni every week.

Schools that don't have great tradition like So Cal, Texas, OU, Penn State etc. need to keep up with the jones's by changing their uni's every few years.
I for one like the new stuff too. I get bored seeing the same uni's year after year.

I would however love to see us in throwback uni's for one game a year. I think that would look awesome.
I would say these schools have great traditions and shouldn't change their unis...they are classics.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #15
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
With that logic, then our secondary should get the advantage of being stealthy and have more interceptions.

In closing, I have never bought that argument.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #16
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Only thing wrong with our helmet has been the traditional striping. Our most recent uniforms have KIND OF helped smooth the looks of that, but before it was really bad.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #17
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
With that logic, then our secondary should get the advantage of being stealthy and have more interceptions.

In closing, I have never bought that argument.
It's not really that novel to hardcore football junkies. See LINK.

BTW, it's not so much the color as it is the difference between most of our opponents.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #18
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

The garnet helmets have a stigma of losing to me now.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #19
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

I think a few modern touches on this look would just be awesome. Classic and timeless, but great looking. Hard for me to imagine a better look for us. I'd like to see someone like Cola Cock come up with a modern redesign of these uniforms. I am thinking at the end it would look something like the Chicago Bears.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #20
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post

I'm sure some coaches would like to use that line of thinking as an excuse
at times, but it doesn't stand up in debate when some of histories best
QBs played on teams with Dark Helmets. In the SEC alone you have QBs
that racked up record setting numbers with teams wearing "Redish" to
Dark Helmets. Players like Aaron Murray (UGA) (SECs all time passing leader),
Both Ryan Mallet and Tyler Wilson (Arkansas), AJ McCarron (ALA), Tim Tebow,
Rex Grossman, Danny Werfel (sp) (UF) etc.....

There are 100s of others from teams in the Country, and historically that
had great careers, put up impressive passing numbers, and wore dark
helmets for their 2,3, 4 year careers ..... not to mention the number of QBs
who set records passing in the NFL with teams that played in Dark Colored
Helmets.