CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
robgusc76
B-G
Big Spur
SMOTFS86
Sandstorm29
The Yancey
kingofnerf
rabid cock
doubledribble
**USC vs. Coker GAME (3285)
2014 Subway Classic: (1608)
aTm demolishes Kyle (738)
Cocky at the Duck Co (712)
Ali Hospitalized Wit (625)
Really, REALLY glad (559)
Deer Hunting 2014 (374)
movers, furniture do (307)
Happy Winter Solstic (276)
Streaming nfl games (264)
QB Next Season?
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
Connor to be backup?
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
official UFC thread. (new
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
Ali Hospitalized With Pne
Question for those who ha
Really, REALLY glad he's
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL

Old 06-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #41
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material
Default Re: Why did we ever switch from garnet helmets??

We needed to keep one look long enough (while presumably playing good football) for the fans around the nation to tune into a game and know who's playing at a glance.

When you see the real traditional schools like Bama or Penn State, Southern Cal, and a few others, you get the instant identity. Look at our baseball team. While we wear several combinations, our interlocking SC logo and overall look, coupled with long term success, makes college baseball fans around the nation understand who is playing at little more than a glance.

First things first. Develop a look and start winning and everything else falls into place. Our recruiting has never been better and we are slowly widening our base to get kids out of states we very seldom wasted much time trying.

2001 is a long established tradition, the Cockabooses, "Sandstorm", the "Game Cock" cheer, "Carolina" on the front of the jersey, and so forth. You have to stay with these things or might as well have none of it and be known as wishy-washy fans that fall and copy the newest fad and move on to the next.

I like the white helmet. I like winning. I like our recruiting and our coaches. We are getting the things we use to only dream about, but really had doubts if they would ever happen. Wait until we win the SEC soon and it will get even better. The college football world is finally learning who we are, here and now, and by many accounts, like what they are seeing. Let all that sink in, for them and us, before shaking anything up too much just for the sake of doing it.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #42
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
I would say these schools have great traditions and shouldn't change their unis...they are classics.
Yea that's what I was trying to get at but now that I read it again I completely missed my objective lol. My bad
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #43
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
IMO we should have a throwback game and wear the Sterling Sharpe era uniforms.. minus the white circle on the helmets:

Please excuse the gloves and cleats, I know they are Nike.
Extra nice!
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #44
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

In general, I want the players to decide what they are wearing, but when it gets as fugly as this, the coach needs to be able to step in and veto:

I like the all-garnet concept. I like our normal uni from last year too.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #45
USCfootball
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 116336
USCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervous

I like storm trooper white
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #46
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
I think we wore garnet helmets from 1983-1998. So, 16 season in 120 or so seasons Almost every other season we wore white or leather helmets.

You can check it here:
http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/sec.htm
my dad swears we wore garnet helmets in the mid 60s for a few games. Also during the early 70s seniors wore black helmets in some games while the rest of the team wore white helmets. It was during the Dietzel years
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #47
gamecockgal
KEEP CALM AND HAIL HYDRA!

Female

CockyCash: 1000000
gamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJHillis View Post
God, those things were sweet. I know some people don't care what the Gamecocks wear, but I think the garnet helmets were iconic.

Anyways, that's all I have to say about that.

My favorite were the garnet helmets with two white stripes and one black stripe in the very middle, and the white circle with the logo on each side.

I think they were about late 80's-mid 90's or so...

They were freaking beautiful and I miss em

EDIT: Here we go... This one..

Old 06-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #48
GamecockSuperFan
6-6

Male

GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
IMO we should have a throwback game and wear the Sterling Sharpe era uniforms.. minus the white circle on the helmets:

Please excuse the gloves and cleats, I know they are Nike.
every offseason this same topic seems to come up and a few people come up with some designs.This is a really good design though. The striping is good. colors match up. Spot on. Other than the # font which im not paying much attention to anyway. It would be cool to bring back both Carolina and Gamecocks on the jersey. I can imagine that with the helmet being a matte garnet too. Looks really good.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #49
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockgal View Post
My favorite were the garnet helmets with two white stripes and one black stripe in the very middle, and the white circle with the logo on each side.

I think they were about late 80's-mid 90's or so...

They were freaking beautiful and I miss em

EDIT: Here we go... This one..

I might be in the minority, but I never liked the white circle around the Block C. Something about it just doesn't appeal to me.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #50
gamecockgal
KEEP CALM AND HAIL HYDRA!

Female

gamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
I might be in the minority, but I never liked the white circle around the Block C. Something about it just doesn't appeal to me.

Everyone has their own opinions on what is more stylish. I understand your point. I think the reason I personally like the white circle is because it really makes the black "C" and the garnet trim really pop.

But the black helmet with the C on the side I think did look really nice without the white circle.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #51
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

carolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudly

I think black on black with black helmets and garnet lettering would be better than all garnet....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #52
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

the answer is obvious, its to give the fans something to talk about
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #53
Taylorspur
Recruit

Taylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spurs

All garnet was a tradition with the fire ant defense. It gave a little something to a bunch of swarming defensive guys just like fire ants. I don't think you need to change your unis around all the time, but it would be good to have a throw back game to bring back something like the 84' uniforms. The color garnet on our uniforms has changed about 10 times by itself.
Taylorspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:18 AM   #54
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

I would like to see how out helmets would look with a little pearl coating instead of just white.

Last edited by Order 66; 06-18-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Order 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:35 AM   #55
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

I was starting to think we would not have a helmet thread this offseason.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #56
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I think the real question is why did we change from white to garnet then back to white?

The white helmets are the original, traditional.

I will say, I wouldn't mind us having a garnet alternate we wear for special games...maybe a Wounded Warrior themed jersey when we play South Alabama or Furman (or whatever game we have our military appreciation ceremony).
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #57
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Only thing wrong with our helmet has been the traditional striping. Our most recent uniforms have KIND OF helped smooth the looks of that, but before it was really bad.
The only thing I didn't like about the white helmet is that the uniform striping didn't match. As of last season, that issue has been mostly resolved. It's not perfect, but very good.

I think it would be awesome to have one throwback game where we use Garnet helmets.

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #58
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
The white helmets are the original, traditional.
Not really....the originals were no helmets, then leather. So take your pick of those colors. Almost certain every team started with white helmets at some point.
Some of you just like white helmets (as do I).

I want 2 sets of throwback unis....Carlen and Morrison. That's all.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #59
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
You asked why we switched to white. What people are wearing now is not relevant to what happened in the past.

I don't wish to engage in a pissing contest with you about who has the better football knowledge. So, I will just acknowledge you as the greatest football mind. However, even great minds can learn every now and then.

It is not just the article I linked. That was just the first one in the google search. If you want to research further to confirm it, you are welcome to do so. According to my memory banks, Spurrier has said the white helmets help the QB scan. I know he said something like that after we played UF in the famous black out game with Holtz as coach.

I am not slamming your football knowledge. You are not slamming mine. I was just trying to answer your question.
The intention was not to start a pissing match either (apologies if it came off
that way). I knew it was Spurrier you were referring to when you made the
statement, and it's one I disagreed with when he said it back in 2005, and
a few other times since, when someone asks him about the possibility of a
uniform change with Garnet or Black Helmets. ... My reason for the reply
in the first place was simply to go on record as disagreeing with Spurrier's
point. I don't usually get involved in Uniform discussions at all. I really don't
care if we change to Garnet Helmets or Stay with the white ones. I like both.
The Garnet Helmet is a preference, but not to a point of getting upset with the
staff if they decided not to do it. ... It would "sit" better with me if Spurrier
had just said "I like the White Helmets better, and since I'm the Coach of the
program, we're wearing white helmets".
I wouldn't argue with him either way, because it MAY WELL BE that he could
go through his progressions as a QB himself, with the teams he played for
wearing white headgear, BUT .... it gets really confusing when you consider
the fact that his most successful coaching stretch (Florida), was achieved as
soon as he changed the color of the Gator helmets from Orange to Dark Blue !?!?

If he thought White made it easier for his QBs to go through the progressions
and pick up the Receivers, then why not make the change to White Headgear
with the Gators as soon as he took over there ?

I always disagreed with him telling fans here in 2005 when they asked him
about wearing black uniforms and Black helmets, he made the comment that
Black / dark unis were Hot in the early fall, and lighter colored unis were
much better for the team ....... When the Gators always wore Dark Helmets
and Jerseys in Florida ?!?!?
Old 06-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #60
conwaycock2
Starter

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
my dad swears we wore garnet helmets in the mid 60s for a few games. Also during the early 70s seniors wore black helmets in some games while the rest of the team wore white helmets. It was during the Dietzel years
Don't recall the garnet helmets in the 60's but the black helmets in the early 70's I remember well. The black helmets were worn by the seniors in the last home game. We also used to play Dixie when the team ran on the field in the 60's on occasion.

Stadium vendors also sold long plastic horns that made a loud sound enabling kids to literally aggravate the poop out of any poor soul who happened to be sitting in front of them. Just really a terrible, terrible idea.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote