CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
The Yancey
Sandstorm29
ConwayGamecock
Cocks N Stuff
Lonnie
Cockypantherfan
CoverTwo
GarnetSwarm1990
Gamecocks1137
kick_ball
Wilds & Carson B (1774)
Marquavius Lewis (1731)
So, why is next year (1377)
How Long Will The Re (1005)
Restaurant musts in (805)
Why do so many of yo (493)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (467)
Shot in the arm for (423)
'Lord of the Rings: (184)
Custom Jersey (169)
2015 Early Enrollees Thre
Previewing Clemson
2015 - Mark Fields
So, why is next year goin
2015 Signee - Ulric Jones
The Vent and Coaching cha
Why do so many of you guy
Wilds & Carson Back f
2015 Signee - Sherrod Pit
**USC Women vs. Hampton G

Old 06-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #181
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly
Default Re: Thank you non-soccer fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
They take into account viewing parties. Do you not realize every Sunday of the football season there bars filled with people watching the games, not just sports specific bars like with soccer. Also even with Univision the numbers don't surpass the NFL regular season, let alone playoffs or Super Bowl. The NFL on a weekend does 12x better ratings. USA soccer benefits massively from being the national team and still is nowhere close in viewership. You can make excuses but the facts are that even as it's at it's highest ratings ever, it is still bottom tier.

Not making excuses but half the country was still working during the game. I also saw a stat that the game had 1.4 million viewers on the watch espn app (the most watched show/game ever on the app).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SR4-AJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #182
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

How has this one ALSO devolved into a soccer vs <insert sport> thread...

It's like the lowest common denominators can ONLY compare rather than just enjoy each sport based on their own merit...

It's not a dick measuring contest, but people seem determined to make it one.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #183
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

You started he thread bud, you were asking for it.

I don't find anything wrong with it, it's a good conversation minus a few immature posters here and there .
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #184
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

The NFL isn't the comparison to make anyway. The NFL had 15 or the top 17 of any viewed events last year. A world series game is where I would look for a comparison since soccer and baseball are the participation stats I always see compared
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #185
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
The NFL isn't the comparison to make anyway. The NFL had 15 or the top 17 of any viewed events last year. A world series game is where I would look for a comparison since soccer and baseball are the participation stats I always see compared
Agreed.

Nothing is surpassing the NFL.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #186
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

CHANGE IN DIRECTION

I was listening to 107.5 yesterday and it was fascinating to hear some of the callers talk about their experience watching a whole soccer game for the first time.

Names like: Roy from Gilbert, Earl from Pine Ridge, Marcus from Lower Richland.

Folks that would NEVER give soccer a second look were totally absorbed.

I know there are a lot of folks on CT that had this same reaction. My hope is that some of these people will go on to pick-up an EPL or Spanish team to watch on Saturday or Sunday mornings.

I'd much rather my kids watch soccer than cartoons on Saturday mornings.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #187
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Don't think I've ever met a person named Roy or Earl in real life
Old 06-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #188
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Don't think I've ever met a person named Roy or Earl in real life
That's cause you're a pompus ass is too busy drinking martinis with the Wall Street elite. ;)

Last edited by Nureye; 06-18-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Nureye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #189
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
That's cause your pompus ass is too busy drinking martinis with the Wall Street elite. ;)
Was born and raised in the Charlotte area though
Old 06-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #190
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

I started it as a serious thanks for people NOT doing what used to always happen to any soccer thread.

...but I bet you've met an Enrique or Pablo tho...
Old 06-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #191
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Quote:
CHANGE IN DIRECTION

I was listening to 107.5 yesterday and it was fascinating to hear some of the callers talk about their experience watching a whole soccer game for the first time.

Names like: Roy from Gilbert, Earl from Pine Ridge, Marcus from Lower Richland.

Folks that would NEVER give soccer a second look were totally absorbed.

I know there are a lot of folks on CT that had this same reaction. My hope is that some of these people will go on to pick-up an EPL or Spanish team to watch on Saturday or Sunday mornings.

I'd much rather my kids watch soccer than cartoons on Saturday mornings.

I hear ya- and do find it fascinating.

But as for the bolded part...as a casual observer, someone that can really get into soccer WHEN WE'RE PLAYING...sorry, I cannot just "pick up" some other team. I'm a 31 year old man. Personally- I've never been able to 'adopt' a team, except for as a child. As an adult, I can't find myself just selecting a team randomly and following them. I'd have to have some sort of affiliation or tie-in to that team. With the US team, its easy...cause, 'Merca. But some random EPL or Spanish team? Nah, not happening. Seems too forced, too fairweather, too childish (sorry if that sounds insulting, its not meant to be)
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #192
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Was born and raised in the Charlotte area though
funny thing is...the only Roy I've ever known in my entire life, I met while working with a client in Charlotte.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #193
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
I started it as a serious thanks for people NOT doing what used to always happen to any soccer thread.
It's kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy...thanking people for not doing something annoying is like putting chum in shark-infested waters
Old 06-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #194
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Once again... What is wrong with this thread?

To be honest Bio, you could be blamed more than the actual people, you baited them into it by starting the thread.

I'm a soccer fan but I like having this debate. It's only bad when you get people that start calling eachother names because they either like or dislike the sport

Last edited by B-G; 06-18-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #195
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
Choosing the national US soccer team against any pro sport is a bad comparison, since one is the entire country's team. You are basically proving my point, USA soccer can barely match city vs city games and events. If Monday was an MLS game and did those numbers, than I'd say soccer has arrived. For now, it's the same every 4 year story.

This isn't meant as a negative to soccer, I'm just tired of the illogical and redundant propaganda being pushed by ESPN and other media.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #196
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post

...but I bet you've met an Enrique or Pablo tho...
Na haven't yet. Well if they actually told me their names.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #197
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post

But as for the bolded part...as a casual observer, someone that can really get into soccer WHEN WE'RE PLAYING...sorry, I cannot just "pick up" some other team. I'm a 31 year old man. Personally- I've never been able to 'adopt' a team, except for as a child. As an adult, I can't find myself just selecting a team randomly and following them. I'd have to have some sort of affiliation or tie-in to that team. With the US team, its easy...cause, 'Merca. But some random EPL or Spanish team? Nah, not happening. Seems too forced, too fairweather, too childish (sorry if that sounds insulting, its not meant to be)

That's cool. Enjoy watching Dora the Explorer.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:13 PM   #198
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
That's cool. Enjoy watching Dora the Explorer.
Um...what?
Old 06-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #199
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post

I am kind of with you. I love the game. I do like that I can watch great games on Saturdays and Sundays but I don't ever see me having specific team I root for. I just enjoy watching a great game. I absolutely love the world cup. The fans passion is what makes it so entertaining
Old 06-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #200
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Choosing the national US soccer team against any pro sport is a bad comparison, since one is the entire country's team. You are basically proving my point, USA soccer can barely match city vs city games and events. If Monday was an MLS game and did those numbers, than I'd say soccer has arrived. For now, it's the same every 4 year story.

This isn't meant as a negative to soccer, I'm just tired of the illogical and redundant propaganda being pushed by ESPN and other media.
I do agree with you that ESPN and other media are way overselling the status of soccer in the US.