CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Lalli25
USCBASEBALL1
SanAntonioCock
JaxcockFL
Captain9Dragons
GarnetSwarm1990
rabid cock
2000grad
CockyGuy
pooveycock
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (1906)
Chattanooga upends N (1011)
NEW Pics from South (713)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (421)
This Doctor Fell In (387)
BIG PROBLEM! JUST RE (326)
Happy Thanksgiving C (261)
Strategy First Steam (165)
Penniless: Creed's S (158)
Game simulation (0)
Game simulation
THE ONE MARCUS LATTIMORE
GOOD NEWS ABOUT SPURRIER
Constant Updates on Watso
BIG PROBLEM! JUST REALIZE
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
2015 Commitment - Arden K
Name a Gamecock
2015 Commitment - Christi
Texans getting frustrated

Old 06-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #21
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material
Default Re: TheBigSpur (Free): Sterling Sharpe Makes First Return To Carolina

Really glad Ray Tanner is starting to make this happen. There have been several instances of former players returning since he became AD, whether at a game or any other gathering, and it seems like those players are really appreciating that effort.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #22
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

He would still give us props after big wins though. He did on ESPN when he was with them doing NFL football analysis. Gave us a shout out after we beat Georgia in 2000.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #23
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lbYardcock View Post
Steroids was the game back then. My friends did them in HS and my Uncle played at NCST and that whole team (almost) was on steroids back in the 80's. He tells me the stories of his friends from Jawja, UNC, Wake etc. You get the point.
We can thank Tommy Chaikin for breaking the scandal at USC. Steriods were rampant in college football, but Tommy decided to sell his story to SI, the rest is dark history for Carolina.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #24
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
We can thank Tommy Chaikin for breaking the scandal at USC. Steriods were rampant in college football, but Tommy decided to sell his story to SI, the rest is dark history for Carolina.
Yup. Carolina became the poster child for steroids and whether it was right or not long term you really can't blame the school for trying to seperate themselves. Sharpe also isn't the most pleasant person himself so that was just a bad combination.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #25
TheUniversityofSC
NSA Agent

Male

TheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot material

Man that uniform was SAAAAweet
Old 06-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #26
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
“It’s been a huge initiative of mine,” Tanner said of reconnecting with alumni. “It’s important to me. This is their school. Even though life takes you in different directions, it’s always important to know it is your school. When you get a chance to visit, you should feel like you’re at home. I’ve made that a priority with our administration and I think we’re making a lot of progress.”
Stuff like this is why Ray Tanner is the best AD in the history of USC. He gets it.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #27
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Stuff like this is why Ray Tanner is the best AD in the history of USC. He gets it.
Ray Tanner seems to be doing a good job, but he hasn't been tested yet to name him the best AD in SC history. Although, there isn't many before him that amounted to a hill of beans. I guess Hyman is the best we've had to date, and his tenure is defined as a glorified accountant and fund raiser.

I hope Tanner does become the best AD at SC and I hope he retires at USC, but right now he's the best baseball coach we've ever had and current AD that is building on the foundation built before him.

Thinking about it, I say Spurrier is the best AD we have ever had, even though it's not in his title.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #28
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
Yup. Carolina became the poster child for steroids and whether it was right or not long term you really can't blame the school for trying to seperate themselves. Sharpe also isn't the most pleasant person himself so that was just a bad combination.
And I read he got paid $4,500 for the SI story and was hoping to ink a book deal at the football program's expense.

That black cloud lingered a long time, thankfully it's been lifted and the program has moved forward.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #29
Cocked & Locked
Banned

Male

Cocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudly

Quote:

So you know Sterling really well huh? Actually we are still good friends to this day. The separation of school and players over steroids was addressed to all of that era. How you as a player accepted it was your business. Sterling's career had a lot to do with him not coming around the school also. Playing as one of the best WR in the NFL for the Packers and then the Edwards hit that ended his pro career is a tough pill to swallow mentally. Then as a host for ESPN NFL is very time consuming. This should also be included besides just the shunning the players of that era for Sterling. Former players have lives after college and depending on where you end up and what your doing can dictate returning to your alma mater.

In October 2009 the school tried to heal the wounds with the team, however many of us did not return for the celebration and festivities. Spurrier single handed has been instrumental in getting former players involved. Hell Spurrier and Sharpe have played quite a few golf tourney's together.

I just hate when people say nasty things about people and they don't even know them. Sterling is a stand up guy and is a friend of mine.
Cocked & Locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #30
cockfight21
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
cockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot material

I don't think anyone associates Sharpe with steroids. Glad he is back

Kenny Powers
cockfight21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #31
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockfight21 View Post
I don't think anyone associates Sharpe with steroids. Glad he is back
I should hope not. Todd Ellis was named by Chaikin as a player that wanted to take them, but Todd denied it. As we know, Todd has been an integral part of the program for a long time.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #32
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocked & Locked View Post
Sterling is a stand up guy and is a friend of mine.
Awesome for u..i think we never hear a word from him personally or see him at any usc event, ever. you cant tell me that he hasn't had one single day out of his life to show the fans he supports Carolina..To me its rotten eggs, and he only came back this time for his daughter. the story was all fluff..he didn't say a word.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #33
NCgamecock1981
Entrenched Starter

Male

CockyCash: 80000
NCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his comb

I went to a football camp in high school where he was a coach. I found him to be very nice to all those attending and he was happy to sign autographs for everyone. But I now I understand why he gave me a funny look when I gave him my USC hat to sign.
NCgamecock1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #34
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Ray Tanner was a great hire.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #35
HeadCockFan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lbYardcock View Post
Steroids was the game back then. My friends did them in HS and my Uncle played at NCST and that whole team (almost) was on steroids back in the 80's. He tells me the stories of his friends from Jawja, UNC, Wake etc. You get the point.
"That is 100% false."

-Roy Williams
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #36
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
So you know Sterling really well huh? Actually we are still good friends to this day. The separation of school and players over steroids was addressed to all of that era. How you as a player accepted it was your business. Sterling's career had a lot to do with him not coming around the school also. Playing as one of the best WR in the NFL for the Packers and then the Edwards hit that ended his pro career is a tough pill to swallow mentally. Then as a host for ESPN NFL is very time consuming. This should also be included besides just the shunning the players of that era for Sterling. Former players have lives after college and depending on where you end up and what your doing can dictate returning to your alma mater.

In October 2009 the school tried to heal the wounds with the team, however many of us did not return for the celebration and festivities. Spurrier single handed has been instrumental in getting former players involved. Hell Spurrier and Sharpe have played quite a few golf tourney's together.

I just hate when people say nasty things about people and they don't even know them. Sterling is a stand up guy and is a friend of mine.
Well then let him know when he's on town playing golf with other former players and coaches that it won't kill him to talk to other people on the course. When the rest of his group is talking and he goes to the other side of the course and ignores people it doesn't really reflect a stand-up guy.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #37
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
This focus really started with Lou Holtz before Tanner became AD.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #38
Gamecock1983
I kill threads.

Male

CockyCash: 10204
Gamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPit

I've been under the impression that this relationship has been on the mend for awhile, I could be wrong.

Sharpe and SOS represented Carolina in a golf tourney last year and won a pile of money for the General Scholarship Fund.

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2013/04/3...-at-chick.html
Old 06-19-2014, 12:47 AM   #39
Cocked & Locked
Banned

Male

Cocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudly

Quote:
Well then let him know when he's on town playing golf with other former players and coaches that it won't kill him to talk to other people on the course. When the rest of his group is talking and he goes to the other side of the course and ignores people it doesn't really reflect a stand-up guy.
I love it when paparazzi fans get butt hurt when someone famous doesn't come running over to them to say hey shake everyone's hand, kiss every baby and sign a 1,000 autographs and then turns around says he/ she is horrible person because he didn't do what I wanted him to do and didn't do what other celebrities were doing.

I will tell you this about Sterling in that he is very serious when it comes to competing. He will joke around with a few that he is close to but outside of that he is focused in on competing like most athletes are. Some are able to interact (like Spurrier) and some don't. That's just the way it is.

Go to the Masters during the practice rounds and interact with the players and you will see the differences. Two names come to mind - take Tom Kite for instance and he does not interact because he doesn't want distractions needs to stay focused while practicing and then take a Fuzzy Zoeller who talks to anyone and everyone that will listen to him.

Just because he doesn't sign his name for you doesn't mean he is not a stand up guy.
Cocked & Locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:56 AM   #40
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 996351
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I love it when paparazzi fans get butt hurt when someone famous doesn't come running over to them to say hey shake everyone's hand, kiss every baby and sign a 1,000 autographs and then turns around says he/ she is horrible person because he didn't do what I wanted him to do and didn't do what other celebrities were doing.

I will tell you this about Sterling in that he is very serious when it comes to competing. He will joke around with a few that he is close to but outside of that he is focused in on competing like most athletes are. Some are able to interact (like Spurrier) and some don't. That's just the way it is.

Go to the Masters during the practice rounds and interact with the players and you will see the differences. Two names come to mind - take Tom Kite for instance and he does not interact because he doesn't want distractions needs to stay focused while practicing and then take a Fuzzy Zoeller who talks to anyone and everyone that will listen to him.

Just because he doesn't sign his name for you doesn't mean he is not a stand up guy.
Are you serious? Because not once in my entire lifetime has Marcus Lattimore ever gave me the cold shoulder. I didn't walk up to him when he was with family or eating, but when I did he damn sure didn't tell me to go away. Lattimore represents this school more than Sharpe ever did. Heck, even Clowney comes back as much as possible. STOP giving him a way out, he abandoned his school. Game over.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote