CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
NinjaSven
Rebel4ever
BlakelyH19
roosterdude21
Carolina-Beez
kevhugh
Cockyteg
eatlighting
Lankey62
**USC vs. Vanderbilt (32739)
Gameday in Columbia (1755)
ECU is a good team (1454)
Why we'll dominate C (1231)
Spurrier was Embaras (1077)
Is it possible for o (1053)
Spurrier not happy s (1031)
Alabama vs Florida. (1014)
Lammons out (977)
ECU is a good team (974)
**USC vs. Vanderbilt GAME
Is it possible for our Sp
More David Williams Pleas
Glad We Won
Spurrier was Embarassed
Best and worst of the gam
2016 - Jamie Skalski
ECU
Spurrier not happy so why
2015 Commitment - Mon Den

Old 06-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #661
GarnetSwarm1990
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Discussion: 2015 Recruiting Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynemd2 View Post
Yeah I think the Thomas situation caught our coaches by surprise. He was on track when we took the commitment. It sucks that this has happened but honestly I don't think it makes much of a difference on this years team (other than the Thomas situation in my opinion as He could be an early contributer from Juco).

Would you prefer to pass on Wideman/Sawyer and take a lesser talent who will qualify but not play this year anyway or take Sawyer/Wideman have them go somewhere else and play and develop and then come back to us next year ready to go?

For me give me the guys with the most talent in Sawyer and Wideman. If it doesn't work out then we have space to take more talent this year. None of the DE's we were in it with would be starting on our line this year anyway (maybe Thomas) they would be depth and likely redshirts. That means that getting Sawyer and Wideman a year later is essentially the same as redshirting
Agreed. Only think I would add is they miss out on the time with our S&C coach and learning our playbook but both of those are minimal issues.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #662
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSgc View Post
Hindsight is 20/20 but these academic issues didn't take us entirely by surprise, let's be real.

As for who we should've gone after instead, that's a question for the coaches (I remember us being in the thick of it w/ Andrew Williams, though, for a bit, and there was a lengthy DE from NC that I always wondered why we didn't pursue aggressively). My point is simply that our "strategy" did not produce much, and going forward I think we should be more careful a/b recruiting guys w/ suspect academics (or at least not recruit 3 guys at the same position of need w/ suspect academics). I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that the staff probably learned a bit from this, too.

This is an example of our staff working to SAVE our strategy, it was not their original intent to sign 3 DEs who can't qualify. And while what you say may be the intent of our staff going forward, we'll see how it pans out.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I'd rather have players in the program now, learning now, working out now, bonding now. And it may be your supposition that some lower ranked guys couldn't have pushed for PT, but the fact is w/o having them in the program we'll never know. And god forbid we get the injury bug at that position. If you want to recruit DEs on a two year cycle then that's fine, but too often we've seen this sort of thing play out where it leads to strange gaps in depth.

Well all the other birds had plenty of chances to get in the hand and chose not to. We had 5 commits on the last day. It's not like the coaches didn't offer others, visit others, encourage others and have them visit us. It was a tough cycle, we weren't getting certain guys that were at one point sure fire Gamecocks and we got chances on some that were a flat surprise to me. (like McClain) I am not sure the coaches could have done anything else. We weren't exactly slow playing people to my knowledge so these guys would commit.

And as far as the ones who have left the program, we have a few guys worthy of scholarships right now that weren't getting them like Orth and Whitehurst, maybe even Gist. I don't know what conversations they had with the coaches, but unfortunate situations arise now and then and that is exactly what they are, unfortunate circumstances.

Now maybe I'm wrong, if someone can point me to a quality prospect at DE or DT we turned down or slow played so we could get some of the guys that didn't qualify, I'll gladly eat my words.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #663
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

GoGamecocks reporting that Blue will qualify.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #664
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
These two posts.
So you would rather have 2 players with marginal talent who may never contribute instead of waiting for the prep stars to qualify, who would you rather have on campus now then waiting for Sawyer, Thomas....
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #665
CHSgc
Recruit

Male

CHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Well all the other birds had plenty of chances to get in the hand and chose not to. We had 5 commits on the last day. It's not like the coaches didn't offer others, visit others, encourage others and have them visit us. It was a tough cycle, we weren't getting certain guys that were at one point sure fire Gamecocks and we got chances on some that were a flat surprise to me. (like McClain) I am not sure the coaches could have done anything else. We weren't exactly slow playing people to my knowledge so these guys would commit.
That's a good point, to be sure. There's just a lot we don't know a/b a very opaque process. We very well could've exhausted a lot of our options in anticipation of the risk of these guys not qualifying. Thomas had to have caught the staff by surprise, though.

Excellent news a/b Tyrek Cole and Blue, too.
CHSgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #666
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Hindsight is 20/20 but these academic issues didn't take us entirely by surprise, let's be real.

As for who we should've gone after instead, that's a question for the coaches (I remember us being in the thick of it w/ Andrew Williams, though, for a bit, and there was a lengthy DE from NC that I always wondered why we didn't pursue aggressively). My point is simply that our "strategy" did not produce much, and going forward I think we should be more careful a/b recruiting guys w/ suspect academics (or at least not recruit 3 guys at the same position of need w/ suspect academics). I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that the staff probably learned a bit from this, too.

This is an example of our staff working to SAVE our strategy, it was not their original intent to sign 3 DEs who can't qualify. And while what you say may be the intent of our staff going forward, we'll see how it pans out.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I'd rather have players in the program now, learning now, working out now, bonding now. And it may be your supposition that some lower ranked guys couldn't have pushed for PT, but the fact is w/o having them in the program we'll never know. And god forbid we get the injury bug at that position. If you want to recruit DEs on a two year cycle then that's fine, but too often we've seen this sort of thing play out where it leads to strange gaps in depth.
It is not a strategy, it is recruiting and you have to change your strategy numerous times when dealing with kids but to say it is "dumb strategy" by the coaches is just wrong IMO
Old 06-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #667
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post

And as far as the ones who have left the program, we have a few guys worthy of scholarships right now that weren't getting them like Orth and Whitehurst, maybe even Gist. I don't know what conversations they had with the coaches, but unfortunate situations arise now and then and that is exactly what they are, unfortunate circumstances.

Now maybe I'm wrong, if someone can point me to a quality prospect at DE or DT we turned down or slow played so we could get some of the guys that didn't qualify, I'll gladly eat my words.
^^^^
THIS!
Old 06-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #668
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Don't be foolish. We're only getting a/b 18. That leaves 4 spots open. And even if they couldn't have contributed this year, they'd still be in our S&C program and learning our playbook and bonding w/ our team (and perhaps even pushing our 2 deep guys, who may get complacent w/ their de facto roles as contributors).
the coaches did the right thing...at the time nobody knew what grades they would make in the future. and there weren't any other players waiting for us to offer. there is a very good chance the 2015 class will be a full class and have a few extra that are EE. it's easy to criticize after the fact. utimately both Sawyer and Wideman will play football for us and that's a good thing. the only thing that needs to be determined is when.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #669
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
CHS makes good points. I have to agree with him.
he makes zero good points.....
Old 06-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #670
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:

getting better players a year late is better than taking mediocre players a year early.....if these guys were our only players, I might agree, but we have more depth now than we've ever had.....
Old 06-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #671
CHSgc
Recruit

Male

CHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his clawsCHSgc is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
It is not a strategy, it is recruiting and you have to change your strategy numerous times when dealing with kids but to say it is "dumb strategy" by the coaches is just wrong IMO
The goals last year were to fill our class w/ four or so DE prospects who can continue our success at the position and make sure one or two of those four were capable of contributing immediately. The results? We landed one, and he doesn't appear to be ready to play. Clearly something went wrong, and we need to do a better job assessing academic risks in our recruiting evaluations. If you can't see that, then we're never gonna agree.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:07 PM   #672
CHSgc
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
getting better players a year late is better than taking mediocre players a year early.....if these guys were our only players, I might agree, but we have more depth now than we've ever had.....
It's still a risk. We wait on players all the time who never make it in. And we're not talking a/b taking mediocre players vs the guys we target. The south is absolutely littered w/ DE talent. It wasn't Wideman and Sawyer and then everyone else was two steps behind. Wake the **** up.

EDIT: Also, we're deep at DE? Didn't realize that, what w/ experimenting w/ the 3-4, talk of blitzing LBs far more, having a lot of players converted from other positions to DE, and having very little returning sack production.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #673
CHSgc
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
utimately both Sawyer and Wideman will play football for us and that's a good thing.
Name your figure. I bet one of these guys never makes it in.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #674
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
So you would rather have 2 players with marginal talent who may never contribute instead of waiting for the prep stars to qualify, who would you rather have on campus now then waiting for Sawyer, Thomas....
We have little to no depth at DE this year, so it would be nice to have players who can play. How do you know how much a player will contribute? Sawyer and Wideman may never contribute here, but obviously I hope they do make it here and contribute in a big way. You have to accept the fact that those two may never play here.

As far as marginal talent goes, couldn't our coaches develop that? Everyone on this board tells us that our coaches are great at developing players, so why couldn't they develop a "marginal talent?"

Last edited by garnet_black215; 06-18-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #675
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
It's still a risk. We wait on players all the time who never make it in. And we're not talking a/b taking mediocre players vs the guys we target. The south is absolutely littered w/ DE talent. It wasn't Wideman and Sawyer and then everyone else was two steps behind. Wake the **** up.

EDIT: Also, we're deep at DE? Didn't realize that, what w/ experimenting w/ the 3-4, talk of blitzing LBs far more, having a lot of players converted from other positions to DE, and having very little returning sack production.
it's part of the business.....and if you want more wins, you better learn to accept it because it's not likely to change.....
Old 06-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #676
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
that could be, but that's not what I'm arguing.....you're missing the point.....how could we know if either will make it in......answer, you can't.....the coaches will continue to recruit kids they think, based on information they have, will make it in.......some will, some won't.....as I said before, I'd rather have either or both these guys a year late than never....
Old 06-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #677
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

I warned y'all not to count your chickens when it came to the JUCO's.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #678
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
We have little to no depth at DE this year, so it would be nice to have players who can play. How do you know how much a player will contribute? Sawyer and Wideman may never contribute here, but obviously I hope they do make it here and contribute in a big way. You have to accept the fact that those two may never play here.

As far as marginal talent goes, couldn't our coaches develop that? Everyone on this board tells us that our coaches are great at developing players, so why couldn't they develop a "marginal talent?"
maybe this is the reason the coaches want to take at least 4-5 DE in this class because they don't know who's going to make it.....
Old 06-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #679
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

Quote:
No way I would bet on this.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #680
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
I warned y'all not to count your chickens when it came to the JUCO's.
so says the resident albarn football genius.....you win some you lose some, that's how the game is played.....I don't remember seeing the list of auburn recruits headed to medical school....those being the same ones you were recruiting....