CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
donbgamecock
taylorssc
El Cid Ranger
markymark550
Captain9Dragons
BlackMagic84
Fight, win, kick a-- (1438)
The Gator Bowl wants (1095)
Why I'm hopeful abou (1089)
CFN prediction for a (951)
A simple defensive l (832)
USC will upset Aubur (824)
In-state QB talent (671)
Texas athletic direc (422)
This is War (399)
SEC Debate: Best can (366)
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
Cann tipping plays?
Rest of the season predic
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
The Gator Bowl wants us!
A simple defensive line &
In-state QB talent
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Texas athletic director:

Old 06-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #61
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: D.Thompson vs mizz u.

I was in the "Shaw is the guy" crowd last year, but Thompson, though different, is not much of drop off in my opinon. He will take his chances down the field and when he gets the keys to the car he will impress.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:38 PM   #62
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
The Mizzou game was Connor's most amazing game no doubt but it was Mike Davis' worst game. Those two fumbles totally deflated all our MO. Only a complete change of face could have restored MO. Enter Connor.
But those two fumbles were all Davis. If Connor had started those fumbles would have hurt his game too.
Mike Davis was awesome in that game. Mostly on screen passes, but still, without those we lose.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:36 AM   #63
boowilliam4
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talons

Dylan Thompson is going to shock the nation
Old 06-19-2014, 12:51 AM   #64
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowilliam4 View Post
Dylan Thompson is going to shock the nation
I believe so as well, and I also think the nation is going to get a taste of this backup named Connor Mitch. How awesome would it be to run up the score and have him come in real time situation in that game. (TAMU game)
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:06 AM   #65
boowilliam4
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I believe so as well, and I also think the nation is going to get a taste of this backup named Connor Mitch. How awesome would it be to run up the score and have him come in real time situation in that game. (TAMU game)
Totally agree, I'm ready to see David Williams as well.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:14 AM   #66
PvtWarlick
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1261
PvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot materialPvtWarlick is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Which leads back to my original point. He needs to get off to quick starts. Even in his first start against ECU in 2012 I think he connected with 1 of his first 6 before hitting Byrd on the fly route? After that he settled in.

Same with UAB that year. I remember seeing Spurrier chunk a playsheet and told Seth Strickland to warm up after Dylan missed on 3 or 4 passes in a row. As soon as that happened, Dylan hit a big one and got going.

Its imperative that he connects on some medium/long range throws early this year.
He stared 1 of 3
2010 SEC East Champions

Baseball:
2010, 2011 National Champions
4 Time Runner-Up (1975, 77, 2002, 2012)

Basketball
Southern Champions: 1927, 33, 34, 45
1970, 71 ACC Champions
1997 SEC Champions
2005, 06 NIT Champions
PvtWarlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:35 AM   #67
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Never been sold on his arm strength. Jmo
Old 06-19-2014, 07:49 AM   #68
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
2nd on the team in terms of ball velocity. Perry Orth has the strongest.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #69
Helicopter Cock
To impress a chick

Male

CockyCash: 500
Helicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervous

I personally like Thompson's style. We're going to need a guy that may take a few chances in a game this season. Gone are the days of running the football, playing conservative, and trying to win 14-10. You HAVE to score points and remain balanced.
Helicopter Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:39 AM   #70
drumboy
Recruit

Male

drumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervous

Can't wait for August. Thompson will finally get the chance to prove himself as the undisputed starter. He will dismantle TAMU - an appetizer before the rest of the season.
drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #71
NinjaSven
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 515
NinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudly

When it comes to the Mizzou game, the complexion changed with Davis' fumbles. This year, I trust Thompson, but don't want to rely on him. With the players we have, we should be a run heavy offense. We have one of the strongest RB stables in the nation. Shaw has spoiled us, and we are going to have to get used to a QB who throws an interception or two in the game.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #72
NinjaSven
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 515
NinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumboy View Post
Can't wait for August. Thompson will finally get the chance to prove himself as the undisputed starter. He will dismantle TAMU - an appetizer before the rest of the season.
This is what I am most optimistic about with Thompson. He has known for a long time that he is the starter of the South Carolina Gamecocks. I think (and hope) that that pressure has caused DT to be a workhorse when it comes to practicing, gym time, and the viewing of game film. I hope Shaw taught him a thing or two about leadership and work ethic. I want to see a dramatic improvement from this year to last year.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:47 AM   #73
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Quote:
Connor Mitch clearly had the best velocity/zip of any of our quarterbacks in the spring game. I saw that with my own eyes, but I can't vouch for other practice scenarios.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:14 AM   #74
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Is that really true?
Old 06-24-2014, 04:42 AM   #75
PalmettoG27
Walk On

Male

PalmettoG27 has hatched from the shell

Thompson has been a good QB. I have been nothing but impressed with him and never disappointed. A few games that come to mind was Carolina OWNING Clemson in Death Valley with Thompson as our QB. Then Thompson's performance against Michigan. I also have a feeling Carolina is going to win much more then an SEC East title for 2014. (With Thompson)
PalmettoG27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:50 AM   #76
AtlGamecock3307
Starter

Male

AtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
Connor Mitch clearly had the best velocity/zip of any of our quarterbacks in the spring game. I saw that with my own eyes, but I can't vouch for other practice scenarios.
Agree. That pass to fuller was a perfect dart 25 yards down field on a rope right where it had to be. That being said... Excited for the future but Dylan is the best option right now. He should know the offense like the back of his hand.
AtlGamecock3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #77
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post
Is that really true?
TBS reported a few weeks ago that the QBs have their own testing and exercise plan to improve arm strength. They tested velocity and Orth was 1st, Thompson 2nd, Mitch 3rd.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 06-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #78
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

The question with Conner was Stop the QB run with 8 men in the box and one spy on Conner Shaw. The question with Dillion is which passing game to stop. The tighends, Wideouts, Slots. This will also open the run game. We are strong in both areas. How would you approach stopping the gamecock offense. The only way I see it is to keep them off the field. By the third game, Dillion will be the #1 QB in the SEC, Mike Davis #1 RB.
What would you do.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #79
TonyVercetti
Banned

Male

TonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
Ouch. You must have had big problems with Shaw's arm then :/
TonyVercetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #80
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

The way to beat USC is to blitz and play man coverage.

Teams could not blitz us very much because of the threat of Connor breaking loose for big yards with everyone turning their backs to him. So they played a lot of Cover 2 zone and tried to bring some different looks to keep everything in front of them. That is when USC starts picking you apart with Curl/flat combination routes and down the seams.

With Dylan, however, you can man up on the outside and bring a bunch of people to test an offensive line that has been mediocre in pass protection. If you have success getting to Thompson, you'll eventually get Spurrier to go into a shell and at that point you can load the box to stop Davis.

USC's key this year is to play ahead of the chains and don't turn it over. Do those things and things should hum nicely.