CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
taylorssc
DTGCOCKS#32
KaneisAble
Master Bedroom
GarnetSwarm1990
Pw00132
carolinacocky
sunbeam
kingofnerf
400 pasing yards (1003)
HBC Weekly Presser (999)
Funny? (975)
Thompson Has Neck In (929)
Nosovitch (689)
Zone Read Analysis w (564)
What fish do you eat (526)
KY Suspends 4 Player (486)
Clowney didnt get ma (357)
4th & 1 Play (290)
Thompson Has Neck Injury
HBC Weekly Presser
QB Recruiting Strategy
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
2016 - Tavien Feaster
Thoughts on the basketbal
Mizzou's 30sec touchdown
Build a New Stadium
2015 Commitment - Mark Fi

View Poll Results: Student-Alumni-Just a Fan
Student 16 6.11%
Alumni 174 66.41%
Just a Fan 72 27.48%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
Jack Garnet
@SCBravesFan23

Male

CockyCash: 562
Jack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talons
Default Student/Alumni/ Or Just Fan?

I saw this on another team's message board and thought it was a pretty good question. I'd kind of like to get a poll of what we have here at cockytalk. I hope this doesn't bring the whole "you're not a real fan unless you went to the school" comments. But here goes: Are you a current student, alumni, or just a fan of the school?

My answer is I started just a fan, and am currently a student. My father was a pastor who went to seminary. He didn't care much for football, so Gamecock football wasn't in my blood. When I was in 3rd grade my best friend, whose dad attended South Carolina, told me that I should be a Gamecock fan. So I became one that minute. Simple as that. In high school I always intended to attend USC, but due to some circumstances ended up going to a 2-year college. Now, I'm 26 and last year started a career that requires me to get more education, so I've finally enrolled at USC. I guess it's never too late, right?

Jack Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material
Default Re: Student/Alumni/ Or Just Fan?

Just a fan, but a son and brother of Alumni. I've seen more games in Willy B than I have from the school I graduated from (and I was required to attend home games there).

On a side note, I had a informal offer of a PhD assistantship at Clemson (i turned it down)...

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
Cocky chick
Blue Chip

Female

Cocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot materialCocky chick is USC mascot material

Proud alumnus here!
Cocky chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Alumni - Class of 2009.

Family members including my dad went to school there. I was also really into Gamecock sports so I was pretty much set on attending but my mom wanted me to go to CofC .. Looking back on it, she was probably right. Not that I didn't enjoy my time in Columbia but I think I would've been better in Charleston. I fell victim of attending because of being a fan rather than what was best for me.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Class of 2011 here. My sister also graduated from Carolina in 2009.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
tomtomusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 71000
tomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPit

class of 84

Rendezvous is now on Twitter. Search Gamecockbar
tomtomusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Class of 2005!

COCKDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Alumni- 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
On a side note, I had a informal offer of a PhD assistantship at Clemson (i turned it down)...
If you don't mind, can I ask why?

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Fan!

My mom, dad, and sister are alumni...I went to Furman undergrad
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Class of 2010.
Father, mother and grandfather also alumni.
Brother is set to be a freshman at USC this fall.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #11
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
Alumni- 2012

If you don't mind, can I ask why?
Was going to ask why too. I hope he had a better offer, or else it's cutting his nose off to spite his face.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #12
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Alumni - Class of 2009.

Family members including my dad went to school there. I was also really into Gamecock sports so I was pretty much set on attending, but my mom wanted me to go to CofC .. Looking back on it, she was probably right. Not that I didn't enjoy my time in Columbia, but I think I would've been better in Charleston. I fell victim of attending because of being a fan rather than what was best for me.
Not to derail the thread, but this kind of honesty is quite refreshing. Sports are a magnificent recruiting tool for non athletes (it worked in your case), but more people should probably step back and evaluate their situations thoroughly instead of simply going because they're fans.

As for the question the OP asked, I am a lifelong fan first. I started doctoral work at USC in the fall of 2012 (currently on hold), so I'm a student as well, though not technically at present.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #13
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Class of 2010
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
Big-Cock
Two Deep

Male

Big-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot material

I know people look down on fans that are not Alumni but I lived in South Carolina since I was in the fourth grade. I was never really into watching football when I was younger. I played it but never watched or kept up with it. I always just remember my Great Grandfather who lived in Florida being a huge UF fan and even bigger SOS fan so I always watched or heard about SOS anytime I was at his house which was a lot. My G-PA died when I was young and we was really close. I started watching when Lou was coaching and then when SOS became the coach I really became a huge fan. I now rep USC to the fullest down here in gaytor country.
Big-Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #15
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Fan and PhD Candidate.

PLace your bets now..over under at page 3 before someone drops the "I'm a better fan bc I went there...I'm enlightened" crap
Old 06-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #16
AtlGamecock3307
Starter

Male

AtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPit

Class of 09
AtlGamecock3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #17
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Class of '05!
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #18
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194810
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material

Alumna
*graduate school 2005

I went elsewhere for undergrad, but I've been a Gamecock fan my entire life.
GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #19
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Class 97
Old 06-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #20
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Fan turned student turned alumna. Class of 2013.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote