CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
Order 66
snruter amabon
DTGCOCKS#32
Acockolypse Now
thekob
B-G
A. Pilgrim
eightohhthree
ESPN reporter adding (3294)
SOS: No QB controve (2385)
In light of our matc (1476)
How we won the UGA g (1464)
Just read this. (1350)
If we keep winning a (731)
Neat statistic bruhh (657)
Should I move to Oxf (578)
Clemson requires sex (559)
uniforms saturday (469)
Terry Googer - new Wildca
In light of our matchup w
Vandy Fans
uniforms saturday
Neat statistic bruhhhhh
Winston
Happy National Cheeseburg
Acock's SEC Wrap Up 2014:
Places to watch Carolina
The SEC East schedule fro

Old 06-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #21
cockfight21
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
cockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Best / Worst Gamecock team With Steve Spurrier as the Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
The years Blake Mitchell played QB were the worst. Remember how mostly every first pass of his in a game was an INT? May have only happened twice or so, but it seemed like it happened more often than not. Smelley wasn't all that great either.
I always liked Mitchell-fun to watch. I felt like he had the best arm of any Spurrier QB. He had no line.

Kenny Powers
cockfight21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #22
Jack Garnet
@SCBravesFan23

Male

CockyCash: 562
Jack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talonsJack Garnet has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockfight21 View Post
I always liked Mitchell-fun to watch. I felt like he had the best arm of any Spurrier QB. He had no line.
I agree with that. He also only had about 1 receiver per year to throw to. Either Rice or KMac.

Jack Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #23
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockfight21 View Post
Had a nice touch, good throwing motion and beautiful fades, but deep passes were nothing like we've seen the past 3 seasons. I loved watching him, but he could go bonehead. Still would have loved to see him play for G.A. Mangus...add Syvelle to that list.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #24
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Mitchell played behind the worst olines in Spurrier's tenure. They ignored the position the first few years in recruiting and the QBs paid the price. Mitchell may have been the best pure passer ever to come to SC.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #25
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Worst I have to say 2007, going from 6-1 and ranked #6 in the country to 6-6 and no bowl game was brutal. 2008 gets a close runner up.

Best to me is 2011, it was our first 11 win season and the turning point of the program. To me it was the first season where we finished it strong and with a really good bowl win. And lets not forget about a third year of dominating Clemson for the first 3 game winning streak since 1968-1970.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:18 PM   #26
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
Worst I have to say 2007, going from 6-1 and ranked #6 in the country to 6-6 and no bowl game was brutal. 2008 gets a close runner up.

Best to me is 2011, it was our first 11 win season and the turning point of the program. To me it was the first season where we finished it strong and with a really good bowl win. And lets not forget about a third year of dominating Clemson for the first 3 game winning streak since 1968-1970.
It's really hard to say if 2011, 2012, or 2013 was better. All seasons had their good and bad.

11 was cause of our defense and first 11 win season, that Capital One Bowl was really special as that game was when we proved that we aren't going anywhere.

we had some amazing playmakers in 2012 that really lit it up on the field. Can't forget Clemson and Georgia games- two best games of the year IMO. Oh and this little game in Tampa vs Michigan where Clowney tackled the guy kinda hard.

2013 is when Shaw broke the school records. We beat Clemson, Missouri, UCF; 2 of them were BCS bowl champs (only team to do that). Highest final ranking, 5 in a row vs "that team in the upstate" (another first), another Cap One victory (which was just as convincing), Shaw saved his best for last- it was even more special being there in person.

As you can see lots of great things about all season. We had games where we sh*t the bed but overall they were all equally successful. What makes it exciting is that with the talent we have coming in, we have a chance to be even better than those teams!
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #27
Carolinafan8908
Walk On

Male

Carolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talons

The worst have to be 2007 and 2008. With the embarrassing 5 game collapse in 2007, ending with a bitter last second loss to Clemson. Followed by a lackluster 2008, ending with a rout to Clemson and horrible Bowl game that almost cost us Coach Spurrier forever.

The best are 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. All for different reasons, but for following getting over the hump and winning the East, which I will always cherish. For knocking off a #1. For turning the tables on the "Big 3" of the East. For turning the tables on Clemson. For winning bowl games consistently. I mean the amazing moments are incredible in these four seasons.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:37 PM   #28
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

2008 was the worst IMO. That team lacked just about everything, especially down the stretch. Ole Miss was probably the only good game that team played that year.

The best team is a tough call. Each of the last three teams have each had their own thing that made them special. 2011 had a GREAT defense (and IMO was Spurrier's best coaching job), 2012 had a pretty good defense and a TOUGH schedule (four games against top ten teams, three on the road), and 2013 was the best offense in school history and beat a lot of good teams with a defense that improved down the stretch.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #29
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinafan8908 View Post
The worst have to be 2007 and 2008. With the embarrassing 5 game collapse in 2007, ending with a bitter last second loss to Clemson. Followed by a lackluster 2008, ending with a rout to Clemson and horrible Bowl game that almost cost us Coach Spurrier forever.

The best are 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. All for different reasons, but for following getting over the hump and winning the East, which I will always cherish. For knocking off a #1. For turning the tables on the "Big 3" of the East. For turning the tables on Clemson. For winning bowl games consistently. I mean the amazing moments are incredible in these four seasons.
The last two games of 2010 prevented it from being even better. We lost two games in the same building within 3 weeks. We would have beaten fsu if Marcus didn't get hurt.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #30
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
The last two games of 2010 prevented it from being even better. We lost two games in the same building within 3 weeks. We would have beaten fsu if Marcus didn't get hurt.
That game has always bothered me. We should have four straight bowl wins, but we don't. That's the way it goes.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #31
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
That game has always bothered me. We should have four straight bowl wins, but we don't. That's the way it goes.
We also had a chance to come back. It was 19-17 at one point in the 4th...
Old 06-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #32
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

Quote:
We also had a chance to come back. It was 19-17 at one point in the 4th...
Didn't FSU convert a third and eight or something like that late in the game that led to a TD?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #33
TAFC 5 1981
Blue Chip

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

I will use drag racing terms on the worst: I think the 2006 was the worst because the engine blew at half track. 2008 was next worst as the V8 was only running on 6 cylinders. As I have said before , it took some time to get use to Spurrier's tough love.

I think a big gain was made in 2010. The Baseball team wins NC, the Football beats #1 and wins division. By then the team had depth and confidence. The next three years SC showed something that never existed in its FB program; some serious consistency. The team now goes out on the field and expects to win.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #34
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFC 5 1981 View Post
I will use drag racing terms on the worst: I think the 2006 was the worst because the engine blew at half track. 2008 was next worst as the V8 was only running on 6 cylinders. As I have said before , it took some time to get use to Spurrier's tough love.

I think a big gain was made in 2010. The Baseball team wins NC, the Football beats #1 and wins division. By then the team had depth and confidence. The next three years SC showed something that never existed in its FB program; some serious consistency. The team now goes out on the field and expects to win.
2006 was actually a good year. There weren't much expectations that year, but that team had some really close losses. One or two more plays against Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, and Arkansas and who knows how those games turn out. Not saying we would win, but we lost all those games by a TD or less. Beyond that, that offense absolutely scorched, burned, and borderline embarrassed the last four defenses it played, including Florida. Beating Clemson on the road after being down 28-14 and getting to 7-5 and ultimately winning a bowl game was huge that year.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:35 PM   #35
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

A best to worst raw production analysis generated by combining and averaging (a) NCAA Division I total offense (o) + total defense (d) team national standings for each year:

2013 a=28 o=36 d=19
2011 a=39 o=73 d=03
2006 a=42 o=20 d=63
2012 a=47 o=82 d=11
2010 a=47 o=47 d=46
2009 a=49 o=82 d=15
2008 a=55 o=97 d=13
2007 a=67 o=77 d=56
2005 a=74 o=100 d=47

Source: http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/...&sportCode=MFB
Old 06-19-2014, 10:42 PM   #36
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Didn't FSU convert a third and eight or something like that late in the game that led to a TD?
That might have been the play that sealed the deal. I can't remember exactly.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #37
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:

Do you mean 2007? 2006 was when we won the Liberty Bowl vs Houston. Beat Clemson. A blocked field goal away from beating Florida in the Swamp- who went on to win the title. Not a bad year by any means

2007 was when we lost to Vandy at home. After that, the team threw in the towel
Old 06-19-2014, 11:17 PM   #38
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
Mitchell played behind the worst olines in Spurrier's tenure.
Not really....the worst were '07 & '08.
The '06 OL actually did well once they figured out the line-up. That offense was one of SOS' best. Put last year's Connor Shaw on that '06 team and we win 2-3 more games and knock UF out of a NC.

Our '11 OL wasn't that hot...our pass blocking was noticeably lesser than our '10 team. A mobile QB who didn't lose games allowed our offense to compliment a great defense.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #39
TAFC 5 1981
Blue Chip

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Do you mean 2007? 2006 was when we won the Liberty Bowl vs Houston. Beat Clemson. A blocked field goal away from beating Florida in the Swamp- who went on to win the title. Not a bad year by any means

2007 was when we lost to Vandy at home. After that, the team threw in the towel

My mistake; I did mean 2007 as SC came close to ruining the Gators NC run in 2006.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:09 AM   #40
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
My mistake; I did mean 2007 as SC came close to ruining the Gators NC run in 2006.
Watched the end of that Florida game on YouTube. It still hurts.