CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
b381l
Regalcock
mpilot0705
U-Dub Gamecock
Storm Of Spurs
talkincock
doubledribble
gamecockgal
catdaddy66
**USC vs. South Alab (18459)
Clemson (2382)
Drew Owens missing? (2280)
Question about after (1898)
Dylan Thompson surpa (1220)
Shaq Roland (1179)
FishFry 47-yarder (691)
clemson game time: N (667)
How about this scena (536)
Tenn-Mizzou game (367)
Clemson fan here
Clemson
Question about after the
Winston
Tenn-Mizzou game
Drew Owens missing?
UFC Fight Night 57: Frank
what I think ab ward
2014 Charleston Classic *
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa

Old 06-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
CockFighter
yeah boy

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockFighter has feathers coming inCockFighter has feathers coming inCockFighter has feathers coming in
Default Jhaustin Thomas not playing this year

According to Tony Morrell of TheBigSpur.com, USC 2014 recruit DE Jhaustin Thomas of Atlanta and Trinity Valley JC, TX will not have the grades to be able to enroll at USC this fall.
CockFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: Jhaustin Thomas not playing this year

Partly expected I think.
At least Joe Blue got in and Wideman still has a chance from what it sounds like.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Why is Spurrier wasting time recruiting guys with highly suspect grades? If guys aren't performing in high school of all places, why are we trying to fit a square peg in a round hole at the college level?
Old 06-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Twice failed to make it in. I think we can pretty much write him off of ever getting into USC at this point.

Sucks bc he could of possibly started this year or atleast been a situational pass rusher and in the 2 deep
Old 06-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

carolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 View Post
Why is Spurrier wasting time recruiting guys with highly suspect grades? If guys aren't performing in high school of all places, why are we trying to fit a square peg in a round hole at the college level?
I have asked this question before and never got a good answer. All they have to do is make decent grades and in exchange they get a full ride to a good school and a chance to play ball at a high level. If they can't be bothered to make sure that they hold up their end, how are you able to say that they will put in the work needed to succeed on the field or in the classroom?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #6
Latt7more
Ball so hard...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Latt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPit

Quote:
There's always hope that the kids who somehow can't make the grades in high school will get their $hit together and actually make the grades in JUCO/Prep. But to your point, we should have a better understanding of these kids in terms of academic motivation. It's ridiculous that these kids won't realize this is their only shot at a successful future.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
I have asked this question before and never got a good answer. All they have to do is make decent grades and in exchange they get a full ride to a good school and a chance to play ball at a high level. If they can't be bothered to make sure that they hold up their end, how are you able to say that they will put in the work needed to succeed on the field or in the classroom?

Agreed! High school athletes should have ZERO problem getting "decent" grades as everything is stacked in their favor in terms of classes, expectations, and help. If you're doing bad in HS it's because you're either cursed with low intelligence, or you didn't put in the work. In either case, college isn't for you, and Spurrier is wasting his time.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latt7more View Post
There's always hope that the kids who somehow can't make the grades in high school will get their $hit together and actually make the grades in JUCO/Prep. But to your point, we should have a better understanding of these kids in terms of academic motivation. It's ridiculous that these kids won't realize this is their only shot at a successful future.
Nicely said. How is it that the HS coaches don't sit these guys down and tell them this is their ONE shot?! Just get qualified, and the sky's the limit!
Old 06-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
Latt7more
Ball so hard...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Latt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPit

Quote:
Nicely said. How is it that the HS coaches don't sit these guys down and tell them this is their ONE shot?! Just get qualified, and the sky's the limit!
It's a hindsight type deal. Most kids won't get it until the opportunity is gone. I saw it in my high school/area all the time. I have a friend who once couldn't even get a 14 on the ACT, so he ended up at JUCO, but now he's making straight A's and playing football for Arkansas.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #10
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

if we dont recruit them someone else will. many will qaullify and play against us. i dont really get how supposedly smart people cant understand why we should not recruit a kid from juco..
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
if we dont recruit them someone else will. many will qaullify and play against us. i dont really get how supposedly smart people cant understand why we should not recruit a kid from juco..
I think that ONE KID not making the grade we can all understand. I think it's the cumulative effect, magnified along the D-line recruits this year, that makes this particularly frustrating (and as a result, the fans more critical)...

Last edited by Lonnie; 06-19-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #12
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 765832
jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

I was looking forward to chanting "DOOOOOOOOOBIE"

Nonetheless, I wish him well.
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #13
bobbycock
Two Deep

Male

bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latt7more View Post
It's a hindsight type deal. Most kids won't get it until the opportunity is gone. I saw it in my high school/area all the time. I have a friend who once couldn't even get a 14 on the ACT, so he ended up at JUCO, but now he's making straight A's and playing football for Arkansas.
Maybe some of these high school coaches don't care about the player's future but more about winning state championships.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #14
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Just to give you a few more things to complain about.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #15
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
Just to give you a few more things to complain about.
his point is reasonable, seems our team, any team would first recruit primarily kids who are most likely to qualify and then add to them a few, a very few, flyers who are risk not to do so but who's talent deems the occasional risk worthwhile.
not to speak for those taking issue, but i interpret them to take issue not w/ the fact that we sign some qualifing risk but with the proportion of those we signed being at risk as well as the concentration of them at DL over time.
i understand the import of wishing to develop the prospect believed to be the more talented player suiting up when possible but there is one thing more important than that.... having some prospects to develop, someones to actually suit up.
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #16
JCock10
Walk On

Male

JCock10 has hatched from the shell

Our DE's situation is awful. We have LBs playing weak and strong side DE, other than Gerald D.
JCock10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #17
carolinamyke
Recruit

Male

carolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talons

D

johnson and D English are not LBs. D Washington either
carolinamyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #18
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post

Sometimes they get pretty far behind early on and it is difficult to catch up. Grades are not always easy to achieve, and there might be circumstances of which you are unaware. Thus, you should not be sitting in judgment so much. Hopefully, that answer is satisfying to you. I am willing to predict it will not be.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #19
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

carolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Sometimes they get pretty far behind early on and it is difficult to catch up. Grades are not always easy to achieve, and there might be circumstances of which you are unaware. Thus, you should not be sitting in judgment so much. Hopefully, that answer is satisfying to you. I am willing to predict it will not be.
from the conversations I have had with recent high school grads, the general consensus is that you need to TRY to fail your senior year. High school is not difficult.

carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #20
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 997672
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I agree.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote