CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
5lbYardcock
The Yancey
b381l
ZenUSC
StormOfTalons
evan_aggie
18IsTheMan
bigdog2003
GSC2013
Do we have any shot (2777)
Carolina opens -15.5 (2051)
What changes can and (1641)
Shaw: Check Out This (1457)
Gamecock football Lo (1316)
Don't tell me we don (1282)
Gamecocks claimed an (1188)
SOS Teleconference (1096)
Tanner McEvoy should (1092)
who thinks we need a (960)
The Demise of the 3-4
Carolina opens -15.5
What changes can and will
Shaw: Check Out This Head
SOS Teleconference
Gamecock football Long Te
My Observations About USC
What's your take on our a
Labor Day Weekend Eats
Mike Davis "doubtful

Old 06-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #101
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit
Default Re: 2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite Thread - as of 6.10.14

I certainly don't dispute they may be putting greater emphasis on it. I would be surprised if they weren't. I just don't see the success, thus far, that he does. Marq Lewis left the State too, one of the primary reason we lead is proximity to Greenwood. We don't normally recruit the State of Kansas. Same with DJ Jones & other JUCO's from SC.

If we use the logic that where you go to school, even temporarily, is where you're from then every player on our roster, except incoming freshmen, is from Columbia.

The unc commitment list is very underwhelming to me. Others may see it differently, that's fine. IMO they should recruit much better in their own State given how many kids grow up pulling for them (primarily because of basketball).

Last edited by conwaycock2; 06-11-2014 at 10:03 AM.
conwaycock2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #102
sunbeam
Recruit

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
I have always felt getting NC recruits is key to our success. But every year it seems we get some really good pull with a few players from there to have them shift to UNC later. I think C2 was just saying they are going to try even harder to make that happen.
Does anyone live in North Carolina? I ask because I'm curious as to how much coverage USC gets up there.

In this state we pay attention to Georgia (UG) at least and other states farther off due to the SEC connection.

We've played, or at least tried to a North Carolina team for a few years now.

But how much coverage do we have up there? I have a nagging suspicion that the media in Raleigh covers Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and the other marquee SEC schools more than they do us.
sunbeam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #103
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
Does anyone live in North Carolina? I ask because I'm curious as to how much coverage USC gets up there.

In this state we pay attention to Georgia (UG) at least and other states farther off due to the SEC connection.

But how much coverage do we have up there? I have a nagging suspicion that the media in Raleigh covers Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and the other marquee SEC schools more than they do us.
The SEC Network is based in Charlotte, so I think they will all start seeing more of it whether they like it or not.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #104
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:

I live in Charlotte. It's primarily ACC coverage. They have 4 ACC schools in this state, so it makes sense. After our game last year against the tarholes it was amazing, plenty of announcers on the radio/tv made the game sound like it was UNC vs Clowney and they talked about his stats. They didn't want to talk about the score and tried to make Clowney the story. When we beat them in Charlotte next year, it will be awesome.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #105
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:

There is a lot of SC talk during football season but "a lot" is a relative term. There are lots of SC, CU, UNC, NC St fans in Charlotte so the coverage is really spread out over those 4 teams. The primary discussion during football season however is the Panthers. Panthers' coverage dwarfs all other football discussion.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #106
sunbeam
Recruit

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

I've thought for a long time we need a permanent game with either NC State or North Carolina.

Only thing is, a permanent game against either school does a lot more for us recruiting wise, than it does for either of them. So I kind of think that one will never happen.

Clemson plays NC State in division every year, so NC State doesn't need to play us to have a sort of presence here. North Carolina seems to recruit this state ok when they want, even without a regular game against an SC school.
sunbeam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #107
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

Quote:
I've thought for a long time we need a permanent game with either NC State or North Carolina.

Only thing is, a permanent game against either school does a lot more for us recruiting wise, than it does for either of them. So I kind of think that one will never happen.

Clemson plays State in division every year, so NC State doesn't need to play us to have a sort of presence here. North Carolina seems to recruit this state ok when they want, even without a regular game against an SC school.
Sunbeam, Spurrier apparently likes that idea too.

As for unc recruiting SC, the vast majority of the time unc gets a prospect out of SC it seems that the player either doesn't have an in-state offer or there is some type of back story (i.e Q Davis, this year Barnett possibly)

Trying to remember all these players is futile for me so I'm positive I'll forget somebody. But off the top of my head, Robert Quinn & Brandon ? (from Byrnes) are two that I can recall USC recruiting hard that went to unc in the last 12-15 yrs. Vonnie Holliday & Bobby Ingram from long ago also fall into that category.

Some that we did not recruit were mistakes on USC's part. Darian Durant comes to mind.

But the bottom line is USC has recruited NC better than unc has recruited SC by a wide margin (as in a gap the size of the Grand Canyon) Some of the best players in our history came from NC (Brad Edwards, Todd Ellis, the list is long)

unc, for a border school has traditionally been almost a nonfactor in pulling guys that USC & clemson wanted up there. That is certainly not true for basketball recruiting. Anytime there has been a very high caliber player in SC, unc has almost always been a huge threat.

Last edited by conwaycock2; 06-11-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #108
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

The Heels had big snags in 2014 with Hood and Spain. They missed on 15 of the top 20 prospects in their state though.

This year however, it seems like Fedora in his 3rd year has gotten it at least on the right path. They are trending hard with Jalen Dalton and Shy Tuttle (#1 and #2 in the state). They are trending with Bryce Love and possibly Emanuel McGirt. They got the best QB in the state. Also looks like they are right in the thick of things with Brian Chaffin, Hyheim Hines, Juval Mollete and several others in the top 20.

Unless the wheels fall off, I doubt they miss on 15 of the top 20 this year.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #109
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Maybe, I dunno. CFB talk centers around good conferences and big games of which we have more than our fair share, but it is a whole different planet as far as where CFB ranks in the sports pantheon; they cover midnight madness basketball scrimages extensively during the CFB season (!!!??) and they don't even play real rivalry games at the end of the season, which is ok because by that time most have turned their attention to basketball. Even given that, when you finish in the top five or top 10, continually pwn one of the ACC's "good" teams and have the number one overall pick, you get coverage. Last time we pounded ECU in CLT people were calling in to sports talk radio shows saying the ACC should try and offer us a sweatheart deal to come back and anchor the league in football (before last round of expansion). I see more and more gamecock flags and decals and clothing every year.

SEC schools generally get a lot of the top players. Carolina, UT, UGA, BAMA, UF, etc... Becoming the first choice for kids looking to go to the SEC, from the Carolinas is an achievable goal in my opinion; given a Spurrier era with say a decade of top 15ish finishes and continued national relevance combined with proximity and badass facilities. SEC network money should allow us to buy UNC's stadium for a practice facility, if we want.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #110
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

unc will benefit this year, & probably a few after that, from the absolute train wreck that is NC State football. Their team sucks & their recruiting sucks just as bad or worse. Hell, I had to sit here & think awhile before I could even name their head coach. Doeren may turn it around up there but he's got some serious work ahead to do so.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #111
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

[quote=CoverTwo;4129042][font=Arial][color=red][color=black]I want to try something new this year. This thread is for players that USC has offered that are listed in the 247 database with legitimate interest in USC. Obvious Favorite means we lead, Warmer means we are in the lead group, Warm means we are in the mix. Smashies_AC tried something like this last year but it fizzled out. I'll do my absolute best to keep this up to date. This should help the casual recruiting follower in the know of who we are in the game with. Each player will have their thread linked to it so you can go right to the discussion. If this gets good enough reviews, I'll sticky it.

C2 Personally I love this concept. Being a person no where close to in the know this is sort a like peeking into the thought process of a person with expertise go thru the "crystal ball" process from offer to lead ( and maybe back) to committ be it ultimately w/ us or elsewhere. Being able to read your thoughts as to how you percieve said status and miss and match my own (mostly miss).
I also wonder what criteria you are using to differ warm from warmer. What determines a kid to get warmer?

I hope you will soon write more, the more the better, the more often the better. JMHO WVP
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #112
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

The levels are interest come from the 247 database.

I don't have the time to really write right now. Heck, I haven't even added stars and rankings to the offer thread yet. I got married recently, I'm transitioning from one group of contracts to another group at work, I'm playing a lot more golf now that I live by a golf course, and its Summer time so I'm out on the water during weekends. Not a lot of free time anymore. I'll probably write and critique during the season when things settle down some.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:12 PM   #113
sgacock
4-Star

Male

sgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talonssgacock has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post

I don't have the time to really write right now. Heck, I haven't even added stars and rankings to the offer thread yet. I got married recently, I'm transitioning from one group of contracts to another group at work, I'm playing a lot more golf now that I live by a golf course, and its Summer time so I'm out on the water during weekends. Not a lot of free time anymore. I'll probably write and critique during the season when things settle down some.
Well, there goes the board. (Thanks for all you do)
sgacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #114
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:

It's all good! You give us more info and work harder on this message board than nearly anyone, and CockyTalk members are the better for it! Go have some fun and enjoy being a newlywed! Fairways and greens, C2... Fairways and greens.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #115
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
It's all good! You give us more info and work harder on this message board than nearly anyone, and CockyTalk members are the better for it! Go have some fun and enjoy being a newlywed! Fairways and greens, C2... Fairways and greens.
And C2 most importantly... Don't forget to put it in the hole! Talking about a couple of things here..
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #116
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:

You should get a co-admin for the recruiting board, since you got married recently. Marriage is work. You could have an open tryout to see who would be the co-admin for the recruiting board. Start a thread, post the try out date, come up with a list of questions not only about recruiting, but behavioral questions about when it's appropriate to delete threads or swing the ban hammer.

You'll also need a find a way to work in physical challenges for contestants to prove their worth, probably a times obstacle course run or see how much they bench. You don't want to get an co-admin and then watch them keel over from a coronary 3 months later, b/c they eat at 5Guys everyday and haven't seen their cock in 10 years outside of a mirror (or pussy b/c we know we can't automatically assume it will be a male co-admin.)

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #117
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
You should get a co-admin for the recruiting board,

b381l
Gamecocks321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #118
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:

Ahhhh congradulations on your wedding. My bride and I recently celebrated our 20 anniversary of being newlyweds. So far we are yet to raise our voices too one another. you too will be newly weds for as long as you choose. Godspeed. WVP
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #119
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
The SEC Network is based in Charlotte, so I think they will all start seeing more of it whether they like it or not.
Nit if they have DirecTV!

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #120
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

jrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Nit if they have DirecTV!
DirecTV will be bought up by AT&T and merged with their U-verse "get up". The main reason that DirecTV hasn't done a deal with SEC Network is to improve its bottom line before merger/buyout. Unfortunately, this merger may not happen until well into the CFB season.
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote