CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
bcolinc
ConwayGamecock
Latti
Gamecocks1137
usc1
kingofnerf
FanofCarolina1
Storm Of Spurs
carcosa
**USC vs. Clemson GA (5795)
Decommitment from Te (975)
Beat Miami (850)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (709)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBA (661)
Cleveland Browns Hea (645)
Garcia and Clemsux T (629)
Need a dog kennel (261)
Four USC Basketball (212)
NCAAB: CLEMSON @ SOU (197)
looks like we have 2 OL r
Duck Bowl Depth Chart
Previewing Clemson
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
The Vent and Coaching cha
How Long Will The Rebuild
So, why is next year goin
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
2015 - Mark Fields
Four USC Basketball Games

View Poll Results: Student-Alumni-Just a Fan
Student 16 6.11%
Alumni 174 66.41%
Just a Fan 72 27.48%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #21
TerryP
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
TerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Student/Alumni/ Or Just Fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Alumni - Class of 2009.

Family members including my dad went to school there. I was also really into Gamecock sports so I was pretty much set on attending but my mom wanted me to go to CofC .. Looking back on it, she was probably right. Not that I didn't enjoy my time in Columbia but I think I would've been better in Charleston. I fell victim of attending because of being a fan rather than what was best for me.
8:1 female to male ratio at CoC. Chances are some aspects could have been MUCH better.
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #22
cocktailtime
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 200
cocktailtime has earned his spurscocktailtime has earned his spurscocktailtime has earned his spurscocktailtime has earned his spurscocktailtime has earned his spurscocktailtime has earned his spurs

Class of 2008 and 3rd generation Gamecock Alumni
cocktailtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #23
ds401
4-Star

Female

ds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Garnet View Post
I saw this on another team's message board and thought it was a pretty good question. I'd kind of like to get a poll of what we have here at cockytalk. I hope this doesn't bring the whole "you're not a real fan unless you went to the school" comments. But here goes: Are you a current student, alumni, or just a fan of the school?

My answer is I started just a fan, and am currently a student. My father was a pastor who went to seminary. He didn't care much for football, so Gamecock football wasn't in my blood. When I was in 3rd grade my best friend, whose dad attended South Carolina, told me that I should be a Gamecock fan. So I became one that minute. Simple as that. In high school I always intended to attend USC, but due to some circumstances ended up going to a 2-year college. Now, I'm 26 and last year started a career that requires me to get more education, so I've finally enrolled at USC. I guess it's never too late, right?

I am excited that you are going to further your education! Congratulations!!

Fanatic Fan!!!! My physicans at the Cleveland Clinic taught me the South Carolina cheer of 'USC. Goooooo Cocks' along with the arm and hand movements. I was shocked that he knew the song.

CWRU 1987, CSU 1989 Speech and Language Pathology- work with autistic and deaf Jr. High students in the inner city.

Before we moved here I required visits to the football stadium, basketball arena, and the baseball field along with making sure there was transportation. I love the look of all 3. The job offer was fine, so we moved here.
ds401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #24
Helicopter Cock
To impress a chick

Male

Helicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervous

Did not grow up a fan, attended USC from 2000-2002 and was hooked after that. I did not finish (changed my major too many times; never could settle into what I wanted to do). My brother is an alum and current teacher at USC.

Looking back I was too immature to be successful in college and went for the wrong reasons.
Helicopter Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #25
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

Fan. Parents are alumni and tried to get me to go there. Headed to the Lowcountry instead, CSU alum.
GarnetArmy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:07 PM   #26
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

Undergrad 1980 Masters 1992
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #27
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I'm an alumnus and a fan.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #28
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2462144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I am a fan. Born and raised in SC. Joined the military after graduation and been a fan for over 30 years. To those who are students/Alum. I envy you gals and guys.
FanofCarolina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #29
tpep
Two Deep

Male

tpep is USC mascot materialtpep is USC mascot materialtpep is USC mascot materialtpep is USC mascot materialtpep is USC mascot materialtpep is USC mascot materialtpep is USC mascot materialtpep is USC mascot materialtpep is USC mascot materialtpep is USC mascot materialtpep is USC mascot material

RABID FAN!!! I grew up in greenwood and a couple of locals signed on to play so I began to follow them back in the late 60"s. So, thank you Mr. Tyler Hellams and in memory of Mr. Neville Files(RIP). These two hometown products are the reason that I have never sipped the orange Kool-Aid and NEVER WILL!!!!
tpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #30
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 461300
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

Class of 1974... and a fan... Grew up a Furman fan in the upstate... USC alumnus and fan by the grace of God
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #31
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
If you don't mind, can I ask why?
The easiest answer? Life, at the time. Me ex was in school at another school with a couple of years left to finish her degree. I was the primary bread winner and we didn't think we could swing both of us being students in different cities at the same time. Since I already had my MS at the time, we agreed to let her finish her degree first and then see what happened. Looking back, I probably should have taken it.

But had I done that, I wouldn't have met my current wife (after my ex left me for someone else) and never would have had my little boy. I can't complain at all. Take the good with the bad....

Besides, if I'd a taken it, I would have been stuck posting on taternet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
8:1 female to male ratio at CoC. Chances are some aspects could have been MUCH better.
And dumb@$$ me went to the Citadel...

In a strange twist of fate give my post above, my current wife came VERY, VERY close to attending COC. Since our families knew each other very well, and I wouldn't have been able to drive my first year, I'm sure that I would have been "stuck" riding to school with her. To think what might have been.... :)

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #32
Gamecock in TX
Walk On

Male

Gamecock in TX is learning to peck

Fan. Grew up in the midwest and attended college at Eastern Illinois University. My wife is an alumni (as is all of her family), we met while living in FL and she turned me into a huge fan. Went to many Big 10 and ND games growing up, nothing like the atmosphere I have seen in Columbia and some other places - football in the south had me hooked. Proudly wear garnet and black around the Dallas/Frisco area now.
Gamecock in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #33
d20636
Haven't seen your acid...

Male

CockyCash: 1360
d20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot material

Alumnus - Class of AGY (Ain't Graduated Yet)

Followed CINCFAM* here after retiring (at the ripe old age of 37) and enrolled - then caught our first "retirement baby" and had to leave to get a real job...

*CINCFAM - Commander IN Chief, FAMily
(also referred to as SWMBO "She Who Must Be Obeyed")
Old 06-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #34
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Cock View Post
. I always just remember my Great Grandfather who lived in Florida being a huge UF fan and even bigger SOS fan so I always watched or heard about SOS anytime I was at his house which was a lot. My G-PA died when I was young and we was really close. I started watching when Lou was coaching and then when SOS became the coach I really became a huge fan. I now rep USC to the fullest down here in gaytor country.
Gamecocks get a lot of love down here in Gator Country. Any time I wear any of my Gamecock shirts I always get a lot of positive comments.

Class of 1991 here and I come from a big family of Gamecock alumnus. My stepdaughter is actually the President of one of the largest Alumni Chapters in the US.

Last edited by BlueHerons; 06-19-2014 at 04:54 PM.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #35
Sircock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Sircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talons

MODS please delete this post.

Last edited by Sircock; 06-19-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Sircock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #36
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Class of 93.

Some of you on here are children!
Old 06-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #37
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 202732
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Attended but didn't graduate from USC. I didn't grow up a fan, I'm a military brat and moved to Columbia my senior high school year(1987). I have been a huge Gamecock fan since. Didn't really know how to vote so I voted fan.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #38
Sircock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Sircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talonsSircock has developed his gaff and talons

Huge fan here since the age of 5 in 1984.

While I didnít attend USC, my older brother, Dad , two uncles on my momís side and great Uncle are all Alumniís. My great uncle played football for Carolina back in the days. I am one of the lucky fans who enters the various contests like fan on the field and Free Wendyís for a year and end of winning. In fact, I have won 4 contests in the past 5 years.

I never got a chance to attend Carolina due to my need to party too much during my college years and not take school serious enough. I did end up graduating from Florence Darlington Technical college and then later completing my 4 year degree from Ashford University online in 2013.

Go Gamecocks!

Name:  1795568_10151872676112651_1417522907_n.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  31.7 KB
Old 06-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #39
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

We've got some great fans who aren't alums - including a few I know who went to Clemson or other schools and came over. I'm a '77 grad school grad, wife's a '72 undergrad, and I became a fan in the 1990's. I'm sill part ECU Pirate ('69), played 2 sports there, but I really only follow the Gamecocks now. I'm a Sumter Gamecocks fan also.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #40
CockyFanForLife
Recruit

Female

CockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPit

Alumna: undergrad 1975, grad 1977. My son just graduated from USC, and my daughter will graduate next May. My husband is not happy about being in the minority, but he goes along with us and supports the Gamecocks, unless they play Bama.
CockyFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote