CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
KaneisAble
doubledribble
PageUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
Gamecocks1137
Jmansour333
pitchcock
thumpin big
b381l
TheUSCMike
Busta out indefinite (1994)
SOS says his next st (1673)
Our Road Upset Wins (1532)
CBSSports SEC predic (810)
Our Defense? (663)
No easy road for our (653)
Roll call for Auburn (593)
University of Buffal (519)
Michael Sams done in (360)
Party like it's 1903 (301)
Does South Carolina still
CFN prediction for auburn
2016 - Issac Nauta
Roll call for Auburn
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
Our Defense?
SC vs Auburn -- Playmaker
Busta out indefinitely.
SEC Football Legend: Shel

Old 06-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #21
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Jhaustin Thomas not playing this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
from the conversations I have had with recent high school grads, the general consensus is that you need to TRY to fail your senior year. High school is not difficult.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Then, you have bad information. There is a saying, garbage in, garbage out. Ever heard of that one? Besides, if the freshman and sophomore grades are bad, the athlete may need to make up difficult course and excel to get his gpa high enough. Big difference between failing and getting As and Bs. Some teachers, high school courses, and schools are not as easy as your friends are telling you.

PS: I was in VAQ-132 and lived in Whidbey for four years during the 1980s.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #22
B&GSpur
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
B&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latt7more View Post
There's always hope that the kids who somehow can't make the grades in high school will get their $hit together and actually make the grades in JUCO/Prep. But to your point, we should have a better understanding of these kids in terms of academic motivation. It's ridiculous that these kids won't realize this is their only shot at a successful future.
Plus the fact that there is always some college chasing them. There are always schools that are willing to bend or break the rules to get the players they want. It creates an environment where these kids don't see that they have to succeed academically to get into college.
B&GSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #23
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Guy with suspect grades is recruited by USC but does not make it due to grades.

:WTF is Spurrier doing, he is killing me Arrrrggggghhhhhh"

Guy with suspect grades is not recruited by USC, makes the grade and signs with UGA/Bama/UT/UF

"WTF is Spurrier doing, he is killing me Arrrrggggghhhhhh"
Old 06-19-2014, 11:12 PM   #24
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

carolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Then, you have bad information. There is a saying, garbage in, garbage out. Ever heard of that one? Besides, if the freshman and sophomore grades are bad, the athlete may need to make up difficult course and excel to get his gpa high enough. Big difference between failing and getting As and Bs. Some teachers, high school courses, and schools are not as easy as your friends are telling you.

PS: I was in VAQ-132 and lived in Whidbey for four years during the 1980s.
I just think that if they can't be bothered to make sure that they are getting the grades they need how can you be sure they will put the effort into sports or class ?

I am at the naval hospital there. Can't wait to leave!

Last edited by carolina_corpsman; 06-19-2014 at 11:43 PM.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:41 AM   #25
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
I just think that if they can't be bothered to make sure that they are getting the grades they need how can you be sure they will put the effort into sports or class ?

I am at the naval hospital there. Can't wait to leave!

If you were flying around the Cascades frequently, you would probably feel differently about the place.

You don't know their situation. Of course, if they are a character that cannot be bothered to try, then yeah, they probably aren't going to make it at USC.

However, you don't know these individuals circumstances. Our coaches might have seem something different in their character than a lazy bum. Maybe the kid has a learning disability. Maybe the kid started off High School badly and got behind before realizing he had a shot at a playing college ball. Maybe the kids family life contributed to his difficulty. It is not all easy-peezy for kids in some environments. You should try giving people the benefit of the doubt.

Shaq Attack
Old 06-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #26
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
If you were flying around the Cascades frequently, you would probably feel differently about the place.

You don't know their situation. Of course, if they are a character that cannot be bothered to try, then yeah, they probably aren't going to make it at USC.

However, you don't know these individuals circumstances. Our coaches might have seem something different in their character than a lazy bum. Maybe the kid has a learning disability. Maybe the kid started off High School badly and got behind before realizing he had a shot at a playing college ball. Maybe the kids family life contributed to his difficulty. It is not all easy-peezy for kids in some environments. You should try giving people the benefit of the doubt.
Dp

Last edited by gamecock88; 06-20-2014 at 09:16 AM.
gamecock88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #27
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Yep, and maybe everything difficult in life is always somebody else's fault. Ridiculous.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #28
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post

Yep, and maybe everything difficult in life is always somebody else's fault. Ridiculous.
So are people who like to sit behind their keypads on the Internet making fun of players who you don't know and don't care about.

You can put blinders on yourself and not realize life circumstances are factors in a players situation. Or you can just be a judgmental *ss and sit here and say the players in question are lazy bums who don't care. It is entirely up to the person doing the judging.

Shaq Attack
Old 06-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #29
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

carolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudly

Quote:

it's not the hospital I dislike, it's the constant rain and wind and Uber hippies. Not to mention the locals are incredibly rude.

Yes, some people have it harder than others. That is life, if he can't cut it that's on him. Maybe his problem is other people always made excuses for him and now he's realizing you have to pay the piper. I hope that he will get his class work straightend out and maybe in a few years he can play at Carolina.

carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #30
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
it's not the hospital I dislike, it's the constant rain and wind and Uber hippies. Not to mention the locals are incredibly rude.

Yes, some people have it harder than others. That is life, if he can't cut it that's on him. Maybe his problem is other people always made excuses for him and now he's realizing you have to pay the piper. I hope that he will get his class work straightend out and maybe in a few years he can play at Carolina.

I never had a problem with the locals, but it might be different now. During the winter months, I was skiing almost every weekend at Mount Baker when I was there. At this time of year, I recommend you take some trips to eastern washington (if you crave sunshine), or go up to Vancouver and check out the nightlife up there. Both are awesome.

Shaq Attack
Old 06-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #31
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

Quote:
So are people who like to sit behind their keypads on the Internet making fun of players who you don't know and don't care about.

You can put blinders on yourself and not realize life circumstances are factors in a players situation. Or you can just be a judgmental *ss and sit here and say the players in question are lazy bums who don't care. It is entirely up to the person doing the judging.
Wow, defensive much? I didn't make fun of anyone. Check again. Society has many problems as a whole, blaming others for ones situation or difficulties in life is but one of those. I had a very tough environment growing up as well with zero help at home. Everything I've succeeded in has started with my efforts first.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #32
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Can't paint everyone with the same broad brush.

Some kids come from horrible environments, where they may not know from day to day where they're living or whether or not they're going to get a meal.

Other kids may be coming from backgrounds where they're the first one in the family tree to reach high school, much less graduate.

And as Yaz pointed out, if they start out poorly in high school the first year ot two, it's exponentially harder to make up ground your last year or two.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #33
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Yeah, everything did not come out his mouth but to think that life does not throw curve balls and make things difficult for some and easier for others is stupid to say the least!
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #34
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Wow, defensive much? I didn't make fun of anyone. Check again. Society has many problems as a whole, blaming others for ones situation or difficulties in life is but one of those. I had a very tough environment growing up as well with zero help at home. Everything I've succeeded in has started with my efforts first.
Going to JUCO is effort, so know he did not put any effort in to JUCO! I'm sure you had hard times and needed assistance to get to the point in life you are know! You say you had no help and your success was all you but I would bet you a million dollars if we look back at your life you had help from others like a coach or teacher when times were rough or life got you down.....
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #35
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Dude, that had zero to do with what we were discussing.

Shaq Attack
Old 06-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #36
Toneski
Walk On

Male

Toneski is learning to peckToneski is learning to peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCock10 View Post
Our DE's situation is awful. We have LBs playing weak and strong side DE, other than Gerald D.
All world DE Beasley is nothing more than a LB. He's 6'1" and about 225 lbs. He'll be a LB in the NFL, not a DE. Same thing with Sams at Mizzou, all SEC DE but the size of an NFL linebacker.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #37
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneski View Post
All world DE Beasley is nothing more than a LB. He's 6'1" and about 225 lbs. He'll be a LB in the NFL, not a DE. Same thing with Sams at Mizzou, all SEC DE but the size of an NFL linebacker.
Also mention Eric Norwood...6'1.
Ingram, 6'1.

So much is put on height weight, some fans forget it takes talent and heart to play football.

Give me a guy that is 6'1, 245 and plays with a high motor and gets after it over a guy that is 6'4 270 and just skates by.

Heck, some on here are writing our DEs off without giving them a chance.
Give guys like Cooper, Harris, Washington and Johnson a chance to fail before we label them no good. Heck, two have not seen the field and one has been injured virtually his whole career.

Call me crazy, but I think Mason Harris is up for a big year statistically as a spot rush end. Imagine his speed in a rabbit package.

Does this DE class have an all world talent? No...he is in a Texans uniform now.
Does it have guys that have the potential to fill different roles? Absolutely.
A pure containment end in English...a power rush end in Dixon...a speed guy in Harris...still, the wildcards to me are Cooper and Washington.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #38
JCock10
Walk On

Male

JCock10 has hatched from the shell
Thumbs down Re: Jhaustin Thomas not playing this year

It sucks that Sawyer, Thomas, Ritchie and now Wideman did not make the grades. IMO that's bad recruiting. Heck there are still a few more that might not make it in.
JCock10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #39
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneski View Post
Beasley doesn't play in the SEC. 225-235 won't cut it in this league.

Sam was 250 at least.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #40
Makavelli
Walk On

Female

Makavelli has hatched from the shell

Thank you! My sentiments exactly. Its sad to hear guys getting written off before even given a chance. So what if they are shorter or smaller than most. We talk about Beasley but lets face it, the guy is good. So what if he doesn't play DE in the NFL, making it there is an accomplishment in itself.

Quit dogging out our DEs and be the true fans we say we are show them support. I think some of the DEs are going to shock a lot of people on here that are bashing them. I know one in particular that knows everyone has written him off, and for something he couldn't control. But believe me, he knows whats being sad and he is hungrier than ever. He didn't get recruited to play SEC football if he couldn't.

Thanks again for pointing this out Roosterboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Also mention Eric Norwood...6'1.
Ingram, 6'1.

So much is put on height weight, some fans forget it takes talent and heart to play football.

Give me a guy that is 6'1, 245 and plays with a high motor and gets after it over a guy that is 6'4 270 and just skates by.

Heck, some on here are writing our DEs off without giving them a chance.
Give guys like Cooper, Harris, Washington and Johnson a chance to fail before we label them no good. Heck, two have not seen the field and one has been injured virtually his whole career.

Call me crazy, but I think Mason Harris is up for a big year statistically as a spot rush end. Imagine his speed in a rabbit package.

Does this DE class have an all world talent? No...he is in a Texans uniform now.
Does it have guys that have the potential to fill different roles? Absolutely.
A pure containment end in English...a power rush end in Dixon...a speed guy in Harris...still, the wildcards to me are Cooper and Washington.
Makavelli is offline   Reply With Quote