CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
kingoftheroost
Badazcock
thekob
gadeneer1986
gamecockgal
cockfight21
Yearofthegamecock
Ahmad
Jim Lahey
10-2 (2125)
Four UK Players Susp (1424)
Build a New Stadium (1328)
Connor Shaw's fault. (815)
Cleaned up version: (711)
Nosovitch (687)
QB Recruiting Strate (675)
This program has no (583)
Defer Or Not? (454)
Remaining schedules (431)
10-2
Thoughts on Shawn Elliott
QB Recruiting Strategy
Hottest seat in CFB?
400 pasing yards
Defer Or Not?
Funny?
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
Build a New Stadium
2016 - Tavien Feaster

View Poll Results: Student-Alumni-Just a Fan
Student 16 6.11%
Alumni 174 66.41%
Just a Fan 72 27.48%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #61
behindenemylines
Tater Edumacated

Male

CockyCash: 200
behindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot material
Default Re: Student/Alumni/ Or Just Fan?

Fan since I can remember
Wofford Class of 93
TaterTech MBA - 01

He wasn't very tough, We were just missing tackles. - UGA safety Bacarri Rambo said

Y'all see 246. I see 300. - Latti

The ONLY disability in life is a bad attitude. - Matthew Jeffers
behindenemylines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #62
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

Alumfan 1974

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #63
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
My wife has a Masters in social work from USC as well. She doesn't use it in her current career. Can I ask when your wife got hers
2004. she doesn't use hers. she has not been gainfully employed in a decade.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #64
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Alumni and the only member of my family not to attend an ACC school.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #65
OVPcock
4-Star

Male

OVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talonsOVPcock has developed his gaff and talons

2001 Alum
Old 06-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #66
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Alumnus '14
Also grad student
As well as fan
Old 06-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #67
MjGCock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 342
MjGCock has feathers coming inMjGCock has feathers coming inMjGCock has feathers coming in

2010 undergrad 2013 law school
MjGCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #68
CockyFanForLife
Recruit

Female

CockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
It could be worse. He could cheer for LSU or Georgia... Or the cow college up in Pickens county
Agree. He actually is related to Thomas Green Clemson, but he wouldn't dare!!!
CockyFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #69
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightohhthree View Post
2004. she doesn't use hers. she has not been gainfully employed in a decade.
my wife got hers in 2003. Used it for 1 year. Now is a paralegal.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #70
Carolinafan8908
Walk On

Male

Carolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talons

Diehard and loyal fan here!
I love my Gamecocks, I went to college up in Charlotte though at Belmont Abbey.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:31 PM   #71
rdwylie
My safe word is whiskey.

Male

CockyCash: 400
rdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot material

I was raised in a home that believed in Cocky. My father was a follower of Cocky and tried to teach me his ways as best he could but I did not have personal relationship with Cocky until 1987. I remember my conversion experience like it was yesterday… *looks up thoughtfully and scene fades to the 1980’s*

I was a good kid and very handsome and strong, but as I said, I did not have the personal relationship with Cocky that I knew I needed to have. Because of that, I wandered from the path and got into some teams that I should not have. I experimented with “gateway teams” at first. Teams that I could not get ragged about because no one around me cared about them. I tried Michigan State (had an uncle who graduated from there), Notre Dame (cool mascot and helmets) and even Ohio State (I cannot explain that one). However, the really hard times began when, I hate to admit it, I did some Clemson. Before I am excommunicated, my best friend’s dad had season tickets and I only tried it once. I was weak and I caved into peer pressure. “All the cool kids pull for Clemson,” said my friend “come on man, I thought you were my friend.” So I did it. I even got a William Perry jersey (you have to admit that he WAS an incredible athlete). Then, one day, my dad caught me trying the sneak into the house. I had been out playing football with my friend and had forgotten to take off my “Fridge” jersey before I went in. I was caught, red-handed, under the influence of Clemson. I was so ashamed. He did not say a word. The look on his face said it all.

The entire time I was wandering, Cocky was calling. He never left me though he should have a hundred times. Cocky was with me and did not let me fall. I knew I was messed up and needed to make a change. I was not sure how to do it. I asked Cocky to make a way for me.

In a remarkable “coincidence”, the Palmetto Bowl was on ESPN that year. Some might call it a coincidence, but I believe that it was foreordained by Cocky for my eternal good. I was invited by some of my friends to watch the game with them. They had stayed by my side during all my dark times (wearing orange AND purple, really dude!?!). They were actually going to USC upon graduation. They were kind to me and patiently answered all of my questions:

Did Clemson REALLY buy that National Championship or is that just a vast right-wing conspiracy? Yep.

Where did name Death Valley really come from? (Presbyterian College coach Lonnie McMillan had described Clemson's Memorial Stadium as "Death Valley," because that's where his teams annually went to die. So it got its name because they annually beat up on a Div. 1 school) *fake sneezes “tallestmidget”

Do they really do that to cattle? Yep.

I was convinced and I was ready to give my heart to Cocky. The moment was right and I hoped for a defining conversion experience. Then this happened:

Cocky came into my heart and I have been a faithful follower ever since. It has been a hard, hard road with many disappointments (I am looking at you two Sparky Woods and Brad Scott) but I have never doubted for a minute that HE called me to himself and I am His.

I did not attend USC. I am not an alumnus. I have four happy children and cannot afford to go to any home games. I am teaching them the ways and words of Cocky. I know that one day we will all be together in Cockpit.

But I have Cocky in my heart nonetheless and HE IS ALIVE!!! Cocky bless you all!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #72
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
'06

Started off in the Towers (Moore). The word 'nostalgia' doesn't even come close to describing how I feel when I think of those early days in college...or even more when I go back to visit campus. The newness was overwhelming but the feeling of freedom was even more powerful. I'd pay a lot to go back to those days and experience it all again. Everything was "new" to me. I grew up in a town of 2,000 people and no one from my town went to Carolina my year, and anyone who had before then- I didn't really know. My family didn't have much money, so I scholarship/granted my whole way through and survived off of excess checks to buy books and food. I bought my first cell phone and plan (Nokia) on campus in front of the SC Bookstore. I was on campus for 3 months before realizing where 5 Points was...campus seemed "huge" to me. The environment around me and my outlook on life expanded a lot in those first two years.

A lot changed while I was there with Carolina, too. Russell House went through serious renovations, the Quads were being built, the Strom Thurmond Center was built, the Greek 'hood was built, the Carolina/Colonial Center was built, baseball & football really became *strong* while I was there, and even the basketball team had back to back NITs (yeah, I know- but still) and it was just a great time to be a Gamecock.

When I think back, a lot of the memories and thoughts rushing through my head are blurs...and not just from the partying. So many awesome memories packed into a 4 year period that clarity is kind of lost on me.

I could go on and on, sorry about that.
I went about the same time, 07 grad...took 5 years though. Worked full time and school full time.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #73
Cocky Mike
4-Star

Male

Cocky Mike has feathers coming inCocky Mike has feathers coming inCocky Mike has feathers coming in

Alum 06 fan for life
Cocky Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #74
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

I have been all three, but now a proud alumnus. Have been a fan since I was a lad but it was academics that led me to enroll. One of the best decisions of my life was going to Carolina. Got an education in a field I am passionate about and it has served me very well. Met the love of my life in college and she is still putting up with me after 30+ years of marriage (and also a rabid fan). And, happy to say as of about a week ago we are first-time season ticket holders.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:34 PM   #75
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpep View Post
RABID FAN!!! I grew up in greenwood and a couple of locals signed on to play so I began to follow them back in the late 60"s. So, thank you Mr. Tyler Hellams and in memory of Mr. Neville Files(RIP). These two hometown products are the reason that I have never sipped the orange Kool-Aid and NEVER WILL!!!!
Remember both of those players well. Will never forget Hellams punt return to beat clemson.

Alumni 2nd generation, son was 3rd generation.

As a side note some of the best fans we have never attended USC & they are every bit the fan I am. Never apologize for where life takes you, important thing is you're part of Gamecock Nation just as much as the guy with 3 USC degrees.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:39 PM   #76
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Almunus. B.S. and M.S. I don't look any differently at those who are not, but are fans of the program. I have good friends, for example, who grew up in Columbia, attended the Citadel, Newberry, Wofford or MTC, and are diehards.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #77
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindenemylines View Post
Fan since I can remember
Wofford Class of 93
TaterTech MBA - 01
Would love to hear the backstory on that one
Old 06-20-2014, 12:28 AM   #78
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Fan and recent convert - went to Fairleigh Dickinson-Madison here in NJ so school pride in athletics was modest (at the time I went, at least; the women's basketball team did win the Division III title this past March ).

Long story slightly shorter - my wife's father is big into genealogy along with one of his cousins, and last summer I asked them to look into my father's history. I didn't know much about him other than he was born in SC then the family moved to Chicago when he was 2 then to NJ when he was 6. So I figured they had moved around a lot before that but as it turned out she was able to trace the family all the way back to the 1830's as constantly living in the town of Johnston, SC. It also turned out that my great-grandfather had some interesting history in the Civil War.

So, pretty much on a whim based on that info I checked out what the closest major college was and it turned out to be USC. Saw they were ranked #6 in the preseason football polls so figured they had to be worth following and here I am today
Old 06-20-2014, 12:36 AM   #79
etowngangsta
Challenge accepted.

Male

CockyCash: 26065800
etowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot material

Class of 03
etowngangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:38 AM   #80
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Saw my dad graduate USC when I was 4. Went to my first game in 1984. Class of 97

Interesting story. Diehard gamecock fan all my life. After junior year in high school Clemson invited me and other students around SC to whine and dine us. I was somewhat impressed because they were reaching out to kids at the top of their class and persuading them to come to Clemson. I received a letter saying I was accepted before I even applied. I ended up getting a small scholarship to Clemson. USC ended up giving me even more. I then hated Clemson more than ever.

Last edited by uscjeremynca; 06-20-2014 at 12:57 AM.
uscjeremynca is offline   Reply With Quote