CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
cocky0
gamecockgal
Spurticus
U-Dub Gamecock
JaxcockFL
b381l
75CarolinaFan
robgusc76
JohnnyB21
2000grad
Lattimore Sidelined (1726)
Gurley or Davis (1675)
Steve Spurrier - Say (1207)
A house just blew up (621)
South Carolina Footb (526)
Marines confront fak (360)
Man Murders neighbor (245)
Ryan Wood leaving P& (167)
2014-15 Premier Leag (147)
Gators brag on Clown (146)
2015 - Dallas Warmack - A
2015 - Ty'Son Williams
Green and Lammons
Need 4 Tickets for UGA GA
Gamecocks in the Majors/M
college football match up
Predict TAMU 2014
Gators brag on Clowney
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
Ryan Wood leaving P&C

Old 06-19-2014, 11:10 PM   #1
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material
Default MLS thread

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/insi...scom:foxsoccer

Kaka to Orlando City. interesting
Old 06-20-2014, 12:28 AM   #2
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material
Default Re: MLS thread

I love soccer but don't follow mls at all. However we are going to see more and more of this as big stars age. This cam be good for helping the game grow here. Stars want one more big payday before retiring and they can still be stars late in their careers.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:00 AM   #3
CockyLifer
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 99095
CockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talons

I agree with the previous post this is only good for soccer/futbol around here
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:33 AM   #4
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

I have always wondered this about MLS. Teams like DC United, Real Salt Lake.

Do they have any affiliation with the European teams Manchester United, Real Madrid? Or did they just incorporate the name because it sounds familiar to soccer fans?
Old 06-20-2014, 06:44 AM   #5
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 5955916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
I have always wondered this about MLS. Teams like DC United, Real Salt Lake.

Do they have any affiliation with the European teams Manchester United, Real Madrid? Or did they just incorporate the name because it sounds familiar to soccer fans?
No affiliation. Just name recognition. There are many teams in Spain with real preceding the city. Real means royal and the king at some point granted them the title. Real Madrid was Madrid FC for 30 years before the king granted them the title. Also there are many united teams. United is when taken when two teams become one.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #6
B-G
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

NYC FC is partially Owned by Manchester City
Old 06-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
NYC FC is partially Owned by Manchester City

Just posted that, so edited.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #8
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

Is good that these players are coming here, it will help the league to grow.

North Carolina should be the next MLS expansion.

Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:56 AM   #9
Gamecock303
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
I love soccer but don't follow mls at all. However we are going to see more and more of this as big stars age. This cam be good for helping the game grow here. Stars want one more big payday before retiring and they can still be stars late in their careers.
First let me admit that I am not a soccer guy...I actually kind of want to like soccer but between the timing issue (I don't want to have to do math to figure out how much time is left in the game, and oh wait you never really know when the game is going to end and how the clock can continue to run when the ball is in the stands), the rolling around on the ground seemingly every time anyone goes down (I get it, it hurts but rolling around on the ground isn't gonna make it stop hurting...if you aren't bleeding and nothing is broken get up), and all the time that the ball is in play but there is little to no attacking happening (drives me crazy in basketball as well, but the shot clock limits how much that can happen) keeps me from being a soccer fan.

I basically can only watch soccer every 4 years, much like many in Olympic sports I like to see the US do well but I could really care less other wise.

Now that all of that is out of the way I question moves such as this for the MLS from a stand point of building the league. While it certainly brings more name recognition to the league and (I assume) upgrades the talent in the league is it the best way to spend the team/league resources? Again I am not a soccer guy but I'm guessing these guys are past their prime years and would assume that they are being paid more to come and play in the MLS than they would make in Europe. Instead of over paying for players not in their prime wouldn't it make more sense to use the limited (compared to European teams or to the other major sports in the US) resources available to the league to either try and bring in players who are in their prime (although admittedly this may be a tough sell to try and get players in their prime to come and play lesser competition) or to spend that money developing US (or other North American) players. The second option (to me) would lead to better long term growth for the league and US soccer in general (better performing US teams would likely increase the number of soccer fans in the US).
Gamecock303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #10
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock303 View Post
First let me admit that I am not a soccer guy...I actually kind of want to like soccer but between the timing issue (I don't want to have to do math to figure out how much time is left in the game, and oh wait you never really know when the game is going to end and how the clock can continue to run when the ball is in the stands), the rolling around on the ground seemingly every time anyone goes down (I get it, it hurts but rolling around on the ground isn't gonna make it stop hurting...if you aren't bleeding and nothing is broken get up), and all the time that the ball is in play but there is little to no attacking happening (drives me crazy in basketball as well, but the shot clock limits how much that can happen) keeps me from being a soccer fan.

I basically can only watch soccer every 4 years, much like many in Olympic sports I like to see the US do well but I could really care less other wise.

Now that all of that is out of the way I question moves such as this for the MLS from a stand point of building the league. While it certainly brings more name recognition to the league and (I assume) upgrades the talent in the league is it the best way to spend the team/league resources? Again I am not a soccer guy but I'm guessing these guys are past their prime years and would assume that they are being paid more to come and play in the MLS than they would make in Europe. Instead of over paying for players not in their prime wouldn't it make more sense to use the limited (compared to European teams or to the other major sports in the US) resources available to the league to either try and bring in players who are in their prime (although admittedly this may be a tough sell to try and get players in their prime to come and play lesser competition) or to spend that money developing US (or other North American) players. The second option (to me) would lead to better long term growth for the league and US soccer in general (better performing US teams would likely increase the number of soccer fans in the US).

It is still a business and these players are marketting tools.

Plenty of money is going into development, we just have to wait about 10 more years to be at the level we want.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:08 PM   #11
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock303 View Post
Beckham coming here was huge. These others coming here will be just as big.

Not only is it a draw for longtime fans, but think of it as a world-class trainer you're bringing in.

The experience, ability, and technical understanding these guys can provide your younger guys.

That's worth alot more than 3 other so-so players.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #12
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

I was thinking about Villareal, wondering what happened to him, this kid was LA Galaxy sensation but then he went on loan to Mexican soccer, I need to research if he did good at Cruz Azul.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:11 AM   #13
AtlGamecock3307
Starter

Male

AtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPit

Well I gave the mls my once every four years after the World Cup try today. The level of competition compared to what I have been watching in the World Cup was still unwatchable. I watched till halftime and that was about all I could take.
AtlGamecock3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #14
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

For the most part MLS is very subpar to the World Cup, same way high school sports are unwatchable after the super bowl
Old 07-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #15
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

The problem is the stars are past their prime when the come to MLS. Also MLS needs a "home grow" star to really attact fans. Altiode or Yeadlin could start to attact fans, but they are/going to play over seas.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #16
B-G
Game MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
The problem is the stars are past their prime when the come to MLS. Also MLS needs a "home grow" star to really attact fans. Altiode or Yeadlin could start to attact fans, but they are/going to play over seas.

Just my 2 cents.
Altidore is already playing in England.

Yedlin does play for the Sounders right now and I don't believe any European teams have expressed interest in him.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #17
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Altidore is already playing in England.

Yedlin does play for the Sounders right now and I don't believe any European teams have expressed interest in him.
Which is why I said are/going.

Also there is talk out there about Yedlin going to Italy to play for Club Roma.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlespo...ian-club-roma/

He made himself a bunch of money with his World Cup performance.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #18
B-G
Game MVP

Male

If I'm anyone I don't play in the MLS.

I don't think it will ever catch Europe in terms of quality of play.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #19
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

I'm surprised that we don't have more push from the networks about the CONCACAF Champions Cup. Pitting our nation against other nations might actually drum up a little excitement. Would be surprised if we don't hear a little bit about it this year.

Side note: If Beckham can ever get the Miami squad up and running, that will give the league a boost.