CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
b381l
Regalcock
mpilot0705
U-Dub Gamecock
gamecockgal
catdaddy66
talkincock
Storm Of Spurs
crowcutta
**USC vs. South Alab (18414)
Clemson (2267)
Drew Owens missing? (2206)
Question about after (1761)
Dylan Thompson surpa (1193)
Shaq Roland (1154)
FishFry 47-yarder (675)
clemson game time: N (631)
How about this scena (522)
Tenn-Mizzou game (304)
Clemson fan here
Clemson
Question about after the
Winston
Tenn-Mizzou game
Drew Owens missing?
UFC Fight Night 57: Frank
what I think ab ward
2014 Charleston Classic *
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa

Old 06-20-2014, 02:01 AM   #41
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit
Default Re: Best / Worst Gamecock team With Steve Spurrier as the Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
I'm not sure we can have an accurate conversation about this until Spurrier calls it quits. HOPEFULLY the worst is behind us and our best is yet to come.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #42
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
I consider 2007-2009 as a low point in the programs history. Nothing is worse than 0-11 but there was a lack of energy. I remember after that horrid Outback bowl that Spurrier admitted he had been considering leaving
The low point in history was Brad Scott's 1-10 team with Anthony Wright and all the OL around him sitting on the bench during a beat down at home by UT laughing and joking on national TV.

In my experience, Brad Scott's team was the absolute total low point in history, no question. Even the 0-11 team in Holtz' first year gave decent effort.

As for Spurrier's teams, it was the Beecher Smelly QB years. Beecher was freaked out by the crowd. Smelley lacked the arm strength to execute the entire passing tree.

The 2005 bowl loss to Mizzou puts that team into contention as the worst. Several players on that team refused to play the second half of that game. Spurrier was pissed.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #43
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

2008. Smelley's breakdown almost killed the nascent program. The last two season we have been very good and should have at least made it Atlanta.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #44
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

To me 2007 was the worst. Losing to Vanderbilt, Arkansas RBs taking turns housing it on our defense. Coming all the way back against Tennessee just to lose in Overtime. Getting Tebowed and Clemsoned in our own stadium. Just completely fell apart at the end. No bowl game at all. The entire season just felt like a macrocosm of this play.

Best Year was 2012. The schedule was just a little too much to overcome but I think with the thrashing we put on UGA we proved that we were the class in the SEC East.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #45
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I don't see any case where you rank 2007 lower than 2008 .. The 2007 offense caught fire down the stretch .. the defense however, pretty much packed it in after Vandy. But the offense with Blake leading the charge was electric. That team also beat Ole Miss, Georgia, and almost made a huge comeback against LSU. If the defense didn't quit, that season could've been a whole lot different.
Wasn't that the LSU game where Garcia got tackled by the ref and likely cost us a TD?

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #46
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
Wasn't that the LSU game where Garcia got tackled by the ref and likely cost us a TD?
No, that was the following year at home. We lost that one in a very close game in which the LSU OL dominated the fourth quarter.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #47
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

I'm going to go with '08 as the worst, followed by '07. In 2008, we sputtered majorly on both offense and defense. The '08 CU game was just embarrassing, followed by an effortless Outback Bowl appearance. No one wanted to be there and our "play makers" had already punched their tickets to the draft. Offensively in '07, we were alive. If we had a defense then we would've won at least 3 more games that year. I would've even taken us over UF/Tebow if we could get some stops. Remember the Arky game in 2007. Back and forth but that 2-headed monster of RUN DMC and Felix Jones was just nasty.

Best year...hands down was 2011. We had a huge QB shift along with ML's ACL tear. Somehow, that team willed their way to win. One of the most enjoyable Clemson games I've been to in recent memory along with our trip to the Capital One Bowl. Incredible efforts by both Connor even Wilds, who came out of nowhere.
GarnetArmy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #48
kabercr2
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 900000
kabercr2 has earned his spurskabercr2 has earned his spurskabercr2 has earned his spurskabercr2 has earned his spurskabercr2 has earned his spurskabercr2 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
Watched the end of that Florida game on YouTube. It still hurts.
I still believe to this day that was the best game Steve Spurrier has called while he's been here.
kabercr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #49
TAFC 5 1981
Two Deep

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

[quote=ReadR00ster;4187127]To me 2007 was the worst. Losing to Vanderbilt, Arkansas RBs taking turns housing it on our defense. Coming all the way back against Tennessee just to lose in Overtime. Getting Tebowed

A lot of teams got Tebowed in 08. Both teams have gone in different directions since 09.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #50
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I don't see any case where you rank 2007 lower than 2008 .. The 2007 offense caught fire down the stretch .. the defense however, pretty much packed it in after Vandy. But the offense with Blake leading the charge was electric. That team also beat Ole Miss, Georgia, and almost made a huge comeback against LSU. If the defense didn't quit, that season could've been a whole lot different.

2008 was just a cluster****. Outside of the win in Oxford, they didn't play well all year. Even in the NC State 34-0 and Tennessee 27-6 drubbings. I think the LSU game took the wind out of their sails. That is a game we should have won.
2007 is definitely in the runnings for worst when you take everything into account in retrospect. We were 6-0, ranked #6 in the nation, then proceeded to lose our remaining 6 games... may have been 6-1 and then dropped the remaining 5 idk... then we didn't even get selected for a bowl game... sat our asses home... after all that promise. That shit was a pathetic and violent faceplant. Atleast in 2008 we just straight up sucked like a normal shitty football team. That's why some people say 2007. I'm tempted to agree just because it was an emotional roller coaster.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #51
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Garnet View Post
I agree with that. He also only had about 1 receiver per year to throw to. Either Rice or KMac.
Rice and KMac played together a few seasons. They were a very nice 1-2 punch.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #52
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

07 we went from top 10 to not going to a Bowl game.
That season in his time here hurt the most.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #53
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
To me 2007 was the worst. Losing to Vanderbilt, Arkansas RBs taking turns housing it on our defense. Coming all the way back against Tennessee just to lose in Overtime. Getting Tebowed and Clemsoned in our own stadium. Just completely fell apart at the end. No bowl game at all. The entire season just felt like a macrocosm of this play.

Best Year was 2012. The schedule was just a little too much to overcome but I think with the thrashing we put on UGA we proved that we were the class in the SEC East.
God... that was '07 wasn't it... yea I vote '07 as worst. We thought we were good... we weren't.

Everything in your post is on point. Being ranked #6 and then losing to Vandy AT HOME. UT heartbreaker, Tebow humiliating us AT HOME.

No bowl game. '07 is my worst.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #54
TAFC 5 1981
Two Deep

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
God... that was '07 wasn't it... yea I vote '07 as worst. We thought we were good... we weren't.

Everything in your post is on point. Being ranked #6 and then losing to Vandy AT HOME. UT heartbreaker, Tebow humiliating us AT HOME.

No bowl game. '07 is my worst.

I remember Spurrier's reaction to the trick play by LSU.......like "Les just pulled a Spurrier on me"
Old 06-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #55
The Octopus
Recruit

Male

The Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervousThe Octopus is making other chickens nervous

I'd have to say 2009.. but only because I went to the PapaJohns.com bowl and witnessed the worst football game I've ever seen in my life...

however, Spurt is right in that the UNC game from 2007 was an absolutely amazing example of how a sports team can fall apart and never recover again.

Me and a couple friends watched that game down in Charleston at a bar and we still talk about it to this day as a game that just completely changed an entire season. Going in to half time things looked okay, despite a funk coming on...and we just came out in the 3rd and never ever looked the same again.

a Bizarre moment, that I think has everything to do with Spurrier himself.

UNC 2007.. one of the weirdest games in our history.
The Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:53 PM   #56
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Octopus View Post
I'd have to say 2009.. but only because I went to the PapaJohns.com bowl and witnessed the worst football game I've ever seen in my life...

however, Spurt is right in that the UNC game from 2007 was an absolutely amazing example of how a sports team can fall apart and never recover again.

Me and a couple friends watched that game down in Charleston at a bar and we still talk about it to this day as a game that just completely changed an entire season. Going in to half time things looked okay, despite a funk coming on...and we just came out in the 3rd and never ever looked the same again.

It's not like we lost to a good team. It was UCONN. In football... at the worst bowl a SEC team can go to. It doesn't help that it was 20 something degrees in that dump of a stadium
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #57
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
07 we went from top 10 to not going to a Bowl game.
That season in his time here hurt the most.
What made it worse was that at the first game of the season (vs LA Lafayette I think), they did that "Why Not Us" thing where it showed Lee saying Steve couldn't win here if he coached 400 years. It was all about turning the corner; they put it on the video board. 3 months later, we don't even go to a bowl game. That was just embarrassing
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:54 PM   #58
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabercr2 View Post
I still believe to this day that was the best game Steve Spurrier has called while he's been here.
Hard to argue with that. Although, the last four games of 2006 were pretty well called by Spurrier.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:00 PM   #59
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Octopus View Post

There was a discussion on here some time ago about the 2007 UNC game and what the hell happened at halftime of that game. We ripped UNC in the first half, and the second half looked like a bunch of guys who had never played football in their lives. If we had only known that was was a sign of things to come.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:04 PM   #60
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

2013 best, 07 worst.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote