CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
taylorssc
Gamecocks321
GarnetSwarm1990
doubledribble
Lonnie
Cocks N Stuff
johnnyb
El Cid Ranger
So Disappointed With (1910)
Rank the QBs under S (1418)
Back like cooked cra (1002)
Tennessee game (664)
Who start on the d l (626)
No Comments on the H (480)
Google finally gets (471)
lack of production= (377)
Squats (356)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (172)
Why I think we beat Aubur
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
So Disappointed With The
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Rank the QBs under Spurri
7 on 7 flag football bloc
Thoughts on the basketbal
Back like cooked crack
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE

Old 06-19-2014, 02:37 AM   #41
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material
Default Re: TheBigSpur (Free): Sterling Sharpe Makes First Return To Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocked & Locked View Post
I love it when paparazzi fans get butt hurt when someone famous doesn't come running over to them to say hey shake everyone's hand, kiss every baby and sign a 1,000 autographs and then turns around says he/ she is horrible person because he didn't do what I wanted him to do and didn't do what other celebrities were doing.

I will tell you this about Sterling in that he is very serious when it comes to competing. He will joke around with a few that he is close to but outside of that he is focused in on competing like most athletes are. Some are able to interact (like Spurrier) and some don't. That's just the way it is.

Go to the Masters during the practice rounds and interact with the players and you will see the differences. Two names come to mind - take Tom Kite for instance and he does not interact because he doesn't want distractions needs to stay focused while practicing and then take a Fuzzy Zoeller who talks to anyone and everyone that will listen to him.

Just because he doesn't sign his name for you doesn't mean he is not a stand up guy.
Nobody asked for any autographs and the group he was playing with initiated the contact. He made an effort to avoid interaction by walking away while the people he was with wanted to talk.

There's no comparison with practice rounds at Augusta and a casual round in Columbia.

He has the right to act and interact however he chooses but don't try to make him out to be some outstanding man of the people when he's not.

Bottom line is the issues with Sterling and the school are part King Dixon and part Sharpe's ego.
Dizzy01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:45 AM   #42
Ahmad
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 726
Ahmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPitAhmad rules the CockPit

Did the school shun him first, or did he keep his distance from the program first?
Old 06-19-2014, 03:06 AM   #43
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

I knew Sterling when he was in school. He was fine around people he knew, but if he didn't know you he could be a bit rude, even an asshole at times. He was arrogant, but most of that was the result of his confidence. I have no idea whether he's changed or not, but I suspect his issues with the school are a result of both sides sharing some of the blame.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #44
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 225747
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

He ate at a restaurant/deli where I was waiting tables at in the spring of 1988. I think he was with his girlfriend. He didn't come of as rude or arrogant, just seemed like a quiet guy.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #45
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Are you serious? Because not once in my entire lifetime has Marcus Lattimore ever gave me the cold shoulder. I didn't walk up to him when he was with family or eating, but when I did he damn sure didn't tell me to go away. Lattimore represents this school more than Sharpe ever did. Heck, even Clowney comes back as much as possible. STOP giving him a way out, he abandoned his school. Game over.
I don't know if he is serious, but it is sad, sad, sad, that fans want to come on here and trash a Gamecock great over some incident in which they perceived he slighted them. First, the account may be completely false so I don't believe it happened unless they post evidence to prove it. Second, their perception is probably wrong. Third, Sterling deserves his privacy, and if he does not know you, why should he waste his time on you?

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #46
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I don't know if he is serious, but it is sad, sad, sad, that fans want to come on here and trash a Gamecock great over some incident in which they perceived he slighted them. First, the account may be completely false so I don't believe it happened unless they post evidence to prove it. Second, their perception is probably wrong. Third, Sterling deserves his privacy, and if he does not know you, why should he waste his time on you?
It's almost like having some warped hard on for Eric Hyman isn't it.
Dizzy01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #47
Stonecoldcock
Starter

CockyCash: 20001160
Stonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Are you serious? Because not once in my entire lifetime has Marcus Lattimore ever gave me the cold shoulder. I didn't walk up to him when he was with family or eating, but when I did he damn sure didn't tell me to go away. Lattimore represents this school more than Sharpe ever did. Heck, even Clowney comes back as much as possible. STOP giving him a way out, he abandoned his school. Game over.
So what if you had walked up to Marcus Lattimore when he was with his family or something, and he had politely said he was busy? Would he now be an asshole? I understand what you're saying, but I disagree with anyone thinking that any celebrity of any kind owes them anything when they are in a public place unless it is literally for the purpose of interacting with fans. I understand as celebrities they understand that anytime they go out in public, they are likely to get attention, but that still doesn't mean they owe you anything. I think if you had 100 people coming up to you every time you went to get a coffee or go to the grocery store, you'd get annoyed sometimes too. Coach Spurrier told my friend to leave him alone at St. Patrick's Day festival several years ago when he came up and said nothing other than thank you and went to shake his hand. I don't think Spurrier's an asshole now because of it. You have no idea what went on between SS and USC, if these rumors are true sounds like SS got a raw deal. You have no idea when you or anyone approaches him if the last person to do so yelled at him for being an asshole because they approached him while he was talking on his phone, but he's the asshole cuz he didn't drop everything he was doing to satisfy the fans wants. Walk a mile in his shoes before you're so quick to judge him.
Stonecoldcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #48
Cocked & Locked
Recruit

Male

Cocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
Nobody asked for any autographs and the group he was playing with initiated the contact. He made an effort to avoid interaction by walking away while the people he was with wanted to talk.

There's no comparison with practice rounds at Augusta and a casual round in Columbia.

He has the right to act and interact however he chooses but don't try to make him out to be some outstanding man of the people when he's not.

Bottom line is the issues with Sterling and the school are part King Dixon and part Sharpe's ego.
You still haven't answered if you know Sterling or not?

Because if you don't know him and act this way in public I'm surprised anyone talks to you.

He does have the right to interact with people however he chooses and just because its not to your liking does not mean his an asshole.

There is a huge difference between being Cocky and Confident and most people can't distinguish between the two and automatically accuse them as a Cocky A$$hole which is not the case with Sterling.
Cocked & Locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #49
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Good lord people. Sometimes famous folks are introverts, too - just like lots of other people. So the guy doesn't shoot sparks out his ass, big deal. I'm super excited to have him back in fold, so to speak.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #50
Cocked & Locked
Recruit

Male

Cocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaichon View Post
Good lord people. Sometimes famous folks are introverts, too - just like lots of other people. So the guy doesn't shoot sparks out his ass, big deal. I'm super excited to have him back in fold, so to speak.
Thank you I wish I could have expressed it as easily as you have.
Cocked & Locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #51
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

I saw his partnering with SOS in the annual golf tournament as a pretty clear fence-mending gesture. He has done it for the past 3 or 4 years I believe. He didn't have to do that.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:03 PM   #52
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

No offense to Sterling, but Shannon Sharpe, that's who he should emulate. Character gets you a long way in this world, and if the doping scandal was that wide spread back then, maybe someone should say something. I highly doubt that USC gave Sharpe the cold shoulder. Highly doubt, you don't see George Rodgers doing that.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #53
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
No offense to Sterling, but Shannon Sharpe, that's who he should emulate. Character gets you a long way in this world, and if the doping scandal was that wide spread back then, maybe someone should say something. I highly doubt that USC gave Sharpe the cold shoulder. Highly doubt, you don't see George Rodgers doing that.
George Rogers was before the USC steroid era. It was the Joe Morrison era they gave the cold shoulder to. I'd definitely happened and we can thank king Dixon for it
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #54
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

I actually see where Dixon was coming from at the time, although he was off the mark, and not the man for the job. Ironically, he's now the former star player that many hate, which is too bad.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #55
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I highly doubt that USC gave Sharpe the cold shoulder.
So those that have posted otherwise are liars?

---------------------------------------------------------

Quote of the day:
Quote:
Sometimes famous folks are introverts, too - just like lots of other people. So the guy doesn't shoot sparks out his ass, big deal
I think you can say Michael Jordan is similar....he has always been an introvert as well. We have a lot of guys that have played for us that are similar.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:24 AM   #56
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaichon View Post
I actually see where Dixon was coming from at the time, although he was off the mark, and not the man for the job. Ironically, he's now the former star player that many hate, which is too bad.
And all of that is 100% truth. Some big screw-ups in past Gamecock athletics.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #57
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

He was a great player for South Carolina and I don't give a damn if he interacts with me or not. He probably feels the same way about me.....he doesn't have to be my friend or pretend he likes me. Just play the damn game and win and I am happy...
Old 06-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #58
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

This is long overdue, Sharp was a man among boys. I have lots of great memories of Sterling brutalizing DB's.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote