CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JulesWinnfield90
black_magic85
BlueHerons
BiscoCocky
COCKYTALKIN
trapper82
rolinb1
Gamecocks1137
Chill98
Aggie96
Spurrier: Davis May (4872)
TAMU Starting CB Out (3085)
Clemson RB Out for Y (1994)
Your SEC Standings P (1516)
Clowney possibly hur (1430)
an apology (1228)
Our players and the (966)
Devonte Holloman Ret (791)
Clowney leaves pract (695)
This helmit is aweso (569)
Devonte Holloman Retiring
JD & DJ Getting Love
New Sign at Williams Bric
Spurrier: Davis May Not B
Connor Shaw Browns
2014-15 Premier League se
Aggie looking forward to
Cockaboose Owners
VPN service recomendation
I have not bought into ou

Old 06-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #1
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material
Default Spurrier's latest victim: Nick Saban....

Widely reported in the secondary media. Welcome to the off season...

ZING!!!!

Quote:
“How many SECs has (Saban) won there in eight years? He’s won two. He’s won three nationals, but he’s only won two SECs in eight years. Now, if you had the No. 1 recruiting class every year and so forth, I don’t know if he has maxed out potentially as well as he could.”
Quote:
“I told Nick Saban one time, I said, ‘Nick, you don’t have to stay there until midnight and your teams would be just as good and win just as many,’ ” Spurrier said. “He said, ‘If I could do it the way you do it, I would, but I don’t feel comfortable unless I try to cover every base, every angle, be totally prepared.’ I said, ‘Well, that’s probably why you do it.’ When I come out there, I feel comfortable we are ready to play. We have our game plan in, going to call this, call that and so forth. Everybody is different as far as when they feel they are totally prepared.”

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit
Default Re: Spurrier's latest victim: Nick Saban....

Those 3 National Championships probably take most of the sting out of the zing. Saban's the best coach in the country, the total package, the numbers don't lie.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
TonyVercetti
Recruit

Male

TonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervous

I dont really feel like it was a zing as much as it was spurrier just speaking his mind
TonyVercetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
tpep
Two Deep

Male

tpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
Those 3 National Championships probably take most of the sting out of the zing. Saban's the best coach in the country, the total package, the numbers don't lie.
yes. but I'm betting that one of saban's off-season hires bites him in the azz
tpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

To be honest and fair, I really don't think this is Spurrier zinging Saban as much as it is Spurrier zinging the recruiting process...

Old 06-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I think you're reaching.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
markp_vip
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpep View Post
yes. but I'm betting that one of saban's off-season hires bites him in the azz
Let's hope so, but I think Lame Kiffin might be there as a fall guy.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I think you're reaching.
He seems to often.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

STEEEEEVE

Attendance record vs. Clemson as a student: 5-0
Attendance record at home games as a student: 32-3

Follow Gamecockology on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
MisterClowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
He seems to often.
There's always the ignore list, or the option of not clicking.

Thank you, drive thru...

Old 06-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

I'm not allowed to comment?

Maybe it's me but I don't think Saban cares much.
He's too much of a robot and those national title rings are in the way
Old 06-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
tpep
Two Deep

Male

tpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPittpep rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
Let's hope so, but I think Lame Kiffin might be there as a fall guy.
as long as lame has saban by the nads when he falls. I'm just saying...
tpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #13
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

jrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I think you're reaching.
Even if he is reaching, this is the off season; therefore, it will be scooped up and ran with. Thanks for posting, Lon!
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

The pressure is getting to Saban , something is gonna give at Bama soon ..
Take-a-Knee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #15
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

Few coaches in the history of college football have as many national championships as Saban does. And he's still got a lot of years left. The guy is doing something right.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #16
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

I would like to think that if I were given the choice, I would pick the guy who was more balanced in life, making time and demanding that the other coaches make time for their families. Someone who knew that sometimes losses happen, and said that even when they do you can learn valuable lessons and move on.

But then again, if the workaholic who makes all the other coaches on staff stay late at night got us multiple National Championships, I doubt we'd say anything close to what I said in the first paragraph.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #17
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

To me it reads that Spurrier lets his assistants do their jobs. If Alabama is paying all these assistants and advisors all of this money and Saban is knee deep in everything, what good are they? How are they going to develop as coaches?

Whereas you look at our staff and guys like Coach Elliott, Ward, Mangus, Brown .. these guys have blossomed under Spurrier. I may be wrong but it appears to me like he does a better job grooming assistants.

The only thing I wish Coach Spurrier would do more of is staying close enough to campus to swing by and see recruits. IMO, there is no reason for any big time target (or commitment) not to see him while in Columbia. I understand if there is a family vacation, emergency, or he is at meetings in Florida but other than that he needs to be around to shake these prospect's hands. He has done a pretty good job of that so far this year it seems though.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #18
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

To be fair, we would've won a National Title by now had we had the #1 class every year. We do pretty damn well with the #15 class every year. Saban's method isn't necessarily better.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #19
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
To be fair, we would've won a National Title by now had we had the #1 class every year. We do pretty damn well with the #15 class every year. Saban's method isn't necessarily better.
No way in hell you can say that. Maybe, maybe not. Saban gets the #1 class every year in large part because he works his ass off to do so. Never lose sight of that.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #20
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
No way in hell you can say that. Maybe, maybe not. Saban gets the #1 class every year in large part because he works his ass off to do so. Never lose sight of that.

It's a hell of a lot easier to sell Bama than it is USC. They have a lot of history we don't have.