CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
Gamecockswag
cocksmith1or11
The Yancey
NAGamecockFan
Travelin
kingofnerf
ReadR00ster
BigRedCock
Freshman ND WR " (1089)
Good Riddance to bad (562)
The Comeback & T (431)
Bashing Players, coa (414)
Keeping tailgate foo (365)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (362)
An A to Z of Noah We (260)
TeMarcus Blanton (195)
Wallpaper & Back (156)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (151)
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
Simple "yes" or
Auburn game
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
Why I think we beat Aubur
Battlefield 4
The Comeback & The Bl
Who start on the d line t
Rest of the season predic
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr

Old 06-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #41
cockfight21
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
cockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Former Gamecocks QB Stephen Garcia joins Saturday Down South as an SEC analyst

Here's another article:

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2014/06/2...-saturday.html

Kenny Powers
cockfight21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #42
drumboy
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
drumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Former Gamecocks QB Stephen Garcia joins Saturday Down South as an SEC analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
When I hear the name Steven Garcia I instantly think of our first SEC division championship. Spurrier era teams have all been about championships. We have one so far. Garcia piloted that team just like Tommy Suggs piloted our only ACC champion team. Dylan Thompson may give us our second. But perhaps USC never wins another in its history. I'm glad Garcia chose USC.
That's an interesting thought. If Thompson does lead us to a championship, how will he be remembered? I read about four different boards, and over and over I see people posting that they aren't "sold" on Thompson. Some of those who want to say something good about him say that he learned from Shaw. They should listen to what Shaw himself said. He said that Thompson made him into the quarterback he was his senior year. Thompson pushed him constantly and encouraged him. Thompson could lead us to a national championship, and some people would never give him credit.

What I'd like to see is Garcia, Shaw, and Thompson each treated as an individual. They all had (have) strengths and weaknesses. It's not necessary to talk about Shaw when you talk about Garcia or talk about Shaw when you talk about Thompson. It's like comparing apples and oranges. They are all very different from each other.

In other news, I'm happy for Garcia. I hope he likes the job and does well.
drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #43
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumboy View Post
What I'd like to see is Garcia, Shaw, and Thompson each treated as an individual. They all had (have) strengths and weaknesses. It's not necessary to talk about Shaw when you talk about Garcia or talk about Shaw when you talk about Thompson. It's like comparing apples and oranges. They are all very different from each other.
Can we still compare Marcus and Big George?

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:56 PM   #44
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Congratulations to Garcia.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #45
USCfootball
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 116336
USCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervous

Only division champ came with SG at the helm. I still think he was a successful QB here regardless.

If he chose another school (aka Auburn) his off field mistakes would not have been an issue.

I don't think he would be an NFL QB regardless. So congrats on the new job.
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #46
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCfootball View Post

If he chose another school (aka Auburn) his off field mistakes would not have been an issue.
If he had been at Auburn he wouldn't have lasted as long as he did.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #47
uscsabres
4-Star

Male

uscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his combuscsabres is developing his comb

Quote:
That's an interesting thought. If Thompson does lead us to a championship, how will he be remembered?
Tee Martin.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #48
drumboy
Recruit

Male

drumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervousdrumboy is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Can we still compare Marcus and Big George?
Whatever floats your boat.
drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #49
Latti2001
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1700
Latti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Steven Garcia brought us our only SEC division championship. He is one of the best QBs ever to play at USC. Some say he is the best QB ever to play here. Even the great Connor Shaw couldn't bring home a championship. 11-2 is nice but 10-2 with a championship is better. I'd be more concerned about welcoming Garcia back to Columbia than Sterling Sharpe. He did more for USC than any other USC QB in its history. So what if he left a few games early from a pidly mistake? So what???? He won a championship folks. Admit it! If he had broke his finger and missed the last few games of his college career instead of breaking a rule we would be talking about a statue for him rather than insulting the guy.
A statue?!?!?!? For the guy who boozed it up all night long resulting in an injury to the best running back we've ever had and a bowl loss?? Are you kidding me?

Garcia didn't care about anything but himself, and while he may have had potential, that's just about all it was. Yes, he beat Bama, but if Shaw was our QB instead of Garcia, the team would have been better off.

On the other hand, I'm glad to hear he is doing well.
Latti2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #50
Senior Rooster
Banned

Male

Senior Rooster has feathers coming inSenior Rooster has feathers coming in

Quote:
That's an interesting thought. If Thompson does lead us to a championship, how will he be remembered? I read about four different boards, and over and over I see people posting that they aren't "sold" on Thompson. Some of those who want to say something good about him say that he learned from Shaw. They should listen to what Shaw himself said. He said that Thompson made him into the quarterback he was his senior year. Thompson pushed him constantly and encouraged him. Thompson could lead us to a national championship, and some people would never give him credit.

In other news, I'm happy for Garcia. I hope he likes the job and does well.
Big DITTO !!!!!
Senior Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #51
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocksmith1or11 View Post
no, there would never be a statue for Stephen Garcia..... I am sorry dude. Yea he has some great wins and big moments, but ultimately had Shaw QB'd that team we would have gotten over the hump. Its hard to run your offense when the QB isn't committed to the team's goals.

No offense to Garcia, just that had he realized one 10th of his potential he could've been great, he didn't and wasn't that great. You also must remember how much higher he was rated than Shaw coming out of high school. Shaw never lost at home, never lost to Clem5-0n, and beat some highly ranked opponents. Shaw is by far the best QB we have ever had, if there was ever talk of a QB statue, I would hope it would be of a Gamecock legend or somebody who represented the school and won with honor. Definitely not a guy like Garcia.
Shaw is neither the most decorated or best QB stats, Tommy Suggs and Todd Ellis hold those honors, Shaw is the winnest QB in USC history but the no championship is what keeps him off the top of the list. Garcia never lost to Clem5on either, he was the first QB to beat #1 Bama , UGA, UF, UT, and Clem5on in the same season. Garcia off the field was an inmature college kid but on the field he was a warrior to say he didn't win with honor is a tad overboard.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #52
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

I can't say I ever looked at that site before and I don't think this is going to draw me to it now.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:43 PM   #53
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
Shaw is neither the most decorated or best QB stats, Tommy Suggs and Todd Ellis hold those honors...
Please elaborate....
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:53 PM   #54
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latti2001 View Post
A statue?!?!?!? For the guy who boozed it up all night long resulting in an injury to the best running back we've ever had and a bowl loss?? Are you kidding me?
This is a deliberately dishonest hysterical remark.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:37 AM   #55
Latti2001
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1700
Latti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spurs

Quote:
This is a deliberately dishonest hysterical remark.
How is it dishonest?
Latti2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:12 AM   #56
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
Shaw is neither the most decorated or best QB stats, Tommy Suggs and Todd Ellis hold those honors, Shaw is the winnest QB in USC history but the no championship is what keeps him off the top of the list. Garcia never lost to Clem5on either, he was the first QB to beat #1 Bama , UGA, UF, UT, and Clem5on in the same season. Garcia off the field was an inmature college kid but on the field he was a warrior to say he didn't win with honor is a tad overboard.
Both Suggs and Ellis have said that Shaw is the best QB in Gamecock history.

Shaw led us to our only three top 10 finishes in school history (yep, no one else did it even once), and you honestly think that's an inferior achievement to a ho hum 7 win season that led to a mathematical regular season ACC "championship" back in the 60's, when that conference was even weaker than it is now (I say that with all due respect to Suggs, but come on).

Todd Ellis threw 49 touchdown passes and 73 interceptions in his career. (Yikes.) Shaw threw 55 touchdown passes and only 16 interceptions. Ellis completed only 55% of his passes, Shaw completed 65%. On what planet would Ellis's stats be better?? Sure, Ellis threw for more total yards than Shaw, but Shaw's statistics were superior in EVERY OTHER WAY.

Wake up and smell the reality, dude.

Last edited by Kazak; 06-24-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:29 AM   #57
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

"Steven Garcia brought us our only SEC division championship. He is one of the best QBs ever to play at USC. Some say he is the best QB ever to play here."

I rooted for Garcia while he was here...but, um, NO ONE says that.

"Even the great Connor Shaw couldn't bring home a championship. 11-2 is nice but 10-2 with a championship is better."

We finished Garcia's SEC East Division championship season 9-5, not 10-2. That's right...5 losses. I remember it fondly too, but...come on.

"(Garcia) did more for USC than any other USC QB in its history."

Ummmmm....wow.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:52 AM   #58
AtlGamecock3307
Starter

Male

AtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPit

Been a long time since the whole stadium was chanting his name while Smelley was still on the field vs nc state in 08...
AtlGamecock3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:03 AM   #59
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

I hope most of the posts in this thread were jokes. Every damn one of us has made mistakes and to act like you haven't is too taterish for me to even comment further on it. However Garcia was a very talented player who was just having fun in College and should be remembered as such not for the end result of his college fun. Congratulations on your new job Stephen and I am sure you have learned to deal with folks like the judgmental among OUR fellow Gamecock fans.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:04 AM   #60
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Stephen Garcia is and always will be one of the most talented Quarterbacks we ever recruited to play for us.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote