CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
U-Dub Gamecock
smoovecock
rosstheboss
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
FilchCock
markymark550
CockTail
M.C.
clemson game time: N (2157)
**USC Women vs. San (1567)
The Defense (1432)
Women's soccer Sweet (1275)
2014 Charleston Clas (1030)
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,00 (832)
injury report? (547)
Tenn-Mizzou game (450)
Your favorite Greate (365)
In case no one saw.. (319)
Spurrier on Pharoah: &quo
2014 Charleston Classic:
Women's soccer Sweet 16 v
**USC Women vs. San Diego
The Defense
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa
For Discussing The Clemso
Shaq Roland
Texans getting frustrated
USC/clemson spread

Old 06-24-2014, 05:41 AM   #61
AtlGamecock3307
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
AtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPit
Default Re: Former Gamecocks QB Stephen Garcia joins Saturday Down South as an SEC analyst

Makes me think of Mike Vick during his time in Atl. He admitted to never studying the offense or putting the effort in that was required for him to be his best. Yet what he was still able to do on raw talent alone was awesome.

The run he made against fla juking Spikes out of his shoes to convert a fourth and two is still one of the gutsiest plays I've ever seen in person.
AtlGamecock3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:28 AM   #62
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Former Gamecocks QB Stephen Garcia joins Saturday Down South as an SEC analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
If he had been at Auburn he wouldn't have lasted as long as he did.
I don't remember Auburn beating Alabama back then. That seems important to most Auburn fans I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latti2001 View Post
A statue?!?!?!? For the guy who boozed it up all night long resulting in an injury to the best running back we've ever had and a bowl loss?? Are you kidding me?

Garcia didn't care about anything but himself, and while he may have had potential, that's just about all it was. Yes, he beat Bama, but if Shaw was our QB instead of Garcia, the team would have been better off.

On the other hand, I'm glad to hear he is doing well.
This is a lie. The incident when Garcia had the Georgia coeds in his room was several days before the game. Garcia did not "booze it up" the night before the game.

Garcia did, in fact, care about his teammates.

Lattimore's injury might be blamed on Garcia because he threw the pass. But to say Garcia's off the field incidents caused the injury is a huge stretch and smacks of hate.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:35 AM   #63
AtlGamecock3307
Starter

Male

AtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I don't remember Auburn beating Alabama back then. That seems important to most Auburn fans I know.

This is a lie. The incident when Garcia had the Georgia coeds in his room was several days before the game. Garcia did not "booze it up" the night before the game.

Garcia did, in fact, care about his teammates.

Lattimore's injury might be blamed on Garcia because he threw the pass. But to say Garcia's off the field incidents caused the injury is a huge stretch and smacks of hate.
Double post
Old 06-24-2014, 06:35 AM   #64
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
Wake up and smell the reality, dude.
One of those that absolutely detested Shaw starting once upon a time.

Also for the record.

Records Tommy Suggs holds: none

Records Todd Ellis holds:
Most pass attempts, most completions, most total yards, and most Ints.

Records Connor Shaw holds:
Most wins as a starting QB, most post season wins as a QB starter, highest passer rating, highest completion percentage, lowest Int percentage of all passes attempted, most yds rushing by a QB

Just looking at raw stats, we don't have any QB that has stats close to what Shaw did. If he had started 4 years like Todd Ellis, he likely would have owned all of the stats.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:37 AM   #65
AtlGamecock3307
Starter

Male

Quote:

Don't throw him any softballs man. 2010 the year we beat a number 1 Bama at home...Auburn came back to beat Bama late and then won the national title. God damn cammy cam juice...
Old 06-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #66
drumboy
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
drumboy is developing his combdrumboy is developing his combdrumboy is developing his combdrumboy is developing his combdrumboy is developing his combdrumboy is developing his combdrumboy is developing his combdrumboy is developing his combdrumboy is developing his combdrumboy is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post

Also for the record.

Most wins as a starting QB, most post season wins as a QB starter, highest passer rating, highest completion percentage, lowest Int percentage of all passes attempted, most yds rushing by a QB

Just looking at raw stats, we don't have any QB that has stats close to what Shaw did. If he had started 4 years like Todd Ellis, he likely would have owned all of the stats.
Doesn't Ellis also hold the record for most passing yards in a single season?

I wonder how many of those records have been "invented" in the past year. I'm not saying that Shaw didn't do all those things. I'm just wondering if those were stated records before. In other words, who held the post season wins record before? I also wonder at the inclusion of "most yards rushing by a QB." I would think Ellis's "most passing yards in a single season" trumps that. The QB should never have more rushing yards than a RB in a game. That's just my opinion. It doesn't mean anything.
drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #67
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
When was that? We won 2002-2007,2010.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #68
TonyVercetti
Banned

Male

TonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post

Also for the record.

No way Shaw could have passed Ellis for yards tho. He didnt throw enough. There were games where Shaw threw under 100 yards. Thats almost hard to do. Shaw was just a different type of QB.
TonyVercetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #69
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVercetti View Post
No way Shaw could have passed Ellis for yards tho. He didnt throw enough. There were games where Shaw threw under 100 yards. Thats almost hard to do. Shaw was just a different type of QB.
What makes Ellis' numbers even more remarkable was that that was during the 11-12 game schedule. Nowadays you could play 14-15 games in a season.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #70
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
When was that? We won 2002-2007,2010.
Yeah, Auburn had their own 5 peat against Bama in the last decade. A lot of people seem to forget that.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #71
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Yeah, Auburn had their own 5 peat against Bama in the last decade. A lot of people seem to forget that.
6, and man, I hope y'all get 6 on Clemson, its such a great feeling.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #72
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Back to Todd Ellis

I loved the interview with the parents, and the women segment, lol.

Black jerseys and garnet helmet looked good too.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #73
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Most of the ones calling out Garcia are the ones who have probably never played a down of organized football and aren't cut out to even carry Garcia's jock strap. I can really tell due to the comments on Facebook and ability to see their photos- what a joke some of our "fans" are.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #74
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumboy View Post

I wonder how many of those records have been "invented" in the past year. I'm not saying that Shaw didn't do all those things. I'm just wondering if those were stated records before. In other words, who held the post season wins record before? I also wonder at the inclusion of "most yards rushing by a QB." I would think Ellis's "most passing yards in a single season" trumps that. The QB should never have more rushing yards than a RB in a game. That's just my opinion. It doesn't mean anything.
Ellis attempted nearly twice as many passes as Shaw yet threw fewer TDs and almost 5 times as many interceptions. Ellis also had a completion % of 55% and the record of his teams were 3-6-2, 8-4 and 8-4 as an independent.

If all you care about in terms of a QB is attempts and yardage then Ellis is your man. If you actually care about being effective and winning then he's probably not even in your top 5.
Dizzy01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #75
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Doesn't Ellis also hold the record for most passing yards in a single season?.
Yes....and tied with Stephen Garcia for the most attempts. Todd also threw 24 Ints to go along with that which is also a single season record. Todd threw more Ints in one season (24) than Shaw did his whole career (16).

Quote:
I wonder how many of those records have been "invented" in the past year. I'm not saying that Shaw didn't do all those things. I'm just wondering if those were stated records before.

In other words, who held the post season wins record before?
Well when someone does the things Connor Shaw did, records do tend to get invented. The only other QB that won more than one post season game was Phil Petty '00 & '01. Steve Tanneyhill and Blake Mitchell both were starters for a win each.

Quote:
I also wonder at the inclusion of "most yards rushing by a QB." I would think Ellis's "most passing yards in a single season" trumps that. The QB should never have more rushing yards than a RB in a game. That's just my opinion. It doesn't mean anything.
Todd's single season passing yards might be a respected milestone if it wasn't for his weak completion %, TD-Int ratio and amount of passes completed to the other team.
As far as your opinion about running QBs....33 wins in three seasons...how many of those were won with Shaw's legs? Those rushing stats got us wins and three Top 10 finishes and one Top 5. A lot of those yds were golden and by and far trump lots of passing yds that didn't produce wins.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #76
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVercetti View Post
No way Shaw could have passed Ellis for yards tho. He didnt throw enough.
Not exactly....Todd redshirted/Connor didn't. What would we be looking at if Connor had one more year and never missed any games due to injuries? Obviously it wouldn't have been likely, but possible.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #77
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

I don't dislike Garcia as a person, and there were several good moments to go along with the several bad moments that his name calls to mind. I really do wish him the best, but if it were my business and my money and the job I was hiring him for required someone to be dependable and have a high degree of self-motivation I would pass. If I had to have one QB to win a game that my life depended on, I would pick Shaw over Garcia every day of the week. It is what it is, hopefully this job works out for him.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #78
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Since we had not won a postseason game before 1995 it was not Ellis, I will go with Petty and back to back Outback bowls under Holtz. Would you like to guess the number of college QB's whom have won the National Title led their team in rushing for a game, we will start with last years winner.... Funny how you give so much credence to passing yards but the other records were "invented", do you think they did not compile QB rushing stats or winning % or completion %, Int to TD ratio before Shaw?
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #79
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Great to see Garcia doing well and we know he will be giving the GAMECOCKS props and adding to our exposure, if you can't forgive you will never be forgiven!
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #80
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
I don't dislike Garcia as a person, and there were several good moments to go along with the several bad moments that his name calls to mind. I really do wish him the best, but if it were my business and my money and the job I was hiring him for required someone to be dependable and have a high degree of self-motivation I would pass. If I had to have one QB to win a game that my life depended on, I would pick Shaw over Garcia every day of the week. It is what it is, hopefully this job works out for him.
Would you hire Todd Ellis for this same position?

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote