CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
WeStillOwnUSC
Cockypantherfan
Regalcock
SCohioBoy
taylorssc
PageUSC
gadeneer1986
The Yancey
l^l^lBGCock
Mizzou's 30sec touch (1240)
4th & 1 Play (1219)
Kentucky prediction (1071)
Just Booked my Hotel (1000)
So What? (554)
Best position coach (434)
Jeopardy: USC and th (377)
Travis Bell's Photos (310)
Serial Cat Killer Ca (203)
So What? (154)
The New Idea That'll Fix
How to get USC vs KY Stre
OSU Coach Takes Down Disr
400 pasing yards
Kentucky prediction
Really excited to visit t
QB Recruiting Strategy
Looking for 2 for Kentuck
4th & 1 Play
Just Booked my Hotel for

Old 06-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #781
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Discussion: 2015 Recruiting Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Wideman is going to grow into a DT.
You think he is going to add 50lbs in 2 years? I doubt it. You need to be right at about 300lbs if you don't want to get pushed around.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #782
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
You think he is going to add 50lbs in 2 years? I doubt it. You need to be right at about 300lbs if you don't want to get pushed around.
Travian Robertson did. He was listed at 230 coming out of high school. He was 303 his Senior year. Also Devin Taylor put on a shocking amount of weight in 2 years as well. Also you don't know how his body is going to develop in a college program.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #783
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Quarles was 6'4" 265 when he got to campus. Officially about 10 pounds heavier than Wideman is now. But who knows, Wideman could be in the 260-265 range at the moment. Similar frame at 6'4".

Look at a guy like Melvin Ingram who came to school at 225 pounds, maxed at 280 and now plays in the 265-270 range for the Chargers. He could slide over and play a similar inside rusher role in passing situations.

I think he's got more than enough athletic ability to play DE even if he doesn't gain weight as expected. The coaches just want him on the field.

Edit: Wideman is 276

Last edited by usc1; 06-24-2014 at 12:42 PM.
usc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #784
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
He weighs 276 as a Sr in high school, this is why most services have him listed as a DT. Could lean up to be a big DE though but I doubt it.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #785
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
This is pretty close. I think we are signing somewhere b/w 29-32.

If found out that the NCAA/SEC haven't closed the December 1st Financial Aid loophole that Tennessee used last year, so we don't really have a limit of Early Enrollees/JUCOs we can count back. I think we'll have somewhere b/w 4-7.

We have 81 guys on scholarship right now. (Thomas didn't qualify so Conway can remove him from the 82 count) Also, Wideman and Smalls are on the fence with making it in.

We do have 14 Sr's and a fistful of Jr's/RS Soph's who might try to leave early. So let's just say 20 spots for next season from that, but we will already have an additional 0-6 scholly's available from not being fulfilled this year (penalty, or non qualifier.) So really anywhere from 20-26 spots for next year, without attrition.

Then b/w academic non-qualifiers this past cycle,the current cycle and with normal attrition of a few guys looking for more playing time elsewhere, I could see us going all they way up to 32 signees this cycle, but reasonably within the 28-32 range. We could have a couple high school EE's, then Durant, Jones, Lewis, and Palmer all get here in January and maybe even sign that Financial Aid document before December 1, just for insurance or to free us up to sign even more officially in February.

So if we had 6 EE's under that scenario, we could still sign 25 LOI's n February.

In summary:
81 scholly's now
79 on the low end if Wideman and Smalls don't qualify.
14 graduates in '15

means 18-20 scholarships available, and then...

4-6 possible early NFL entries

means 22-26 scholarships available, and then....

academic/injury/etc... casualties from this coming cycles, estimate 2-3

means 24-29 scholarships available, and then...

3-4 guys who leave the team looking for more playing time elsewhere

means 27-33 scholarships available, and that's about it. So that's why I think we sign somewhere b/w 28-32 this cycle.
Excellent. 81 is correct. Thomas never spent a day in class at USC to the best of my knowledge.
conwaycock2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #786
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Take Thompson off the board. Committed to So Alabama. Good luck to the kid, I'm very OK with this because we have bigger needs imo plus we still have a great shot at Arnette

Last edited by conwaycock2; 06-24-2014 at 01:55 PM.
conwaycock2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #787
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
Take Thompson off the board. Committed to So Alabama. Good luck to the kid, I'm very OK with this because we have bigger needs imo plus we still have a great shot at Arnette
Hopefully the Thompson commitment to South Alabama helps us out with Arnette. Abernathy is still on the board to, who according to VolQuest we lead for.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #788
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Ending our DB recruiting with Abernathy or Arnette would be a big plus.
Cockypantherfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #789
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Hopefully the Thompson commitment to South Alabama helps us out with Arnette. Abernathy is still on the board to, who according to VolQuest we lead for.
I looked at Abernathy's profile on ESPN, I had to do a double take. Tell me he doesn't look like a thinner Eric Norwood!

Micah

Eric

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #790
StormOfTalons
Blue Chip

Male

StormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
According to 247, Abernathy is focused on Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia.

But I hope you and VolQuest are right.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #791
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Quarles was 6'4" 265 when he got to campus. Officially about 10 pounds heavier than Wideman is now. But who knows, Wideman could be in the 260-265 range at the moment. Similar frame at 6'4".

Look at a guy like Melvin Ingram who came to school at 225 pounds, maxed at 280 and now plays in the 265-270 range for the Chargers. He could slide over and play a similar inside rusher role in passing situations.

I think he's got more than enough athletic ability to play DE even if he doesn't gain weight as expected. The coaches just want him on the field.

Edit: Wideman is 276
He's up to 276 already? Well then. Still don't know if he will ever wear the uniform though.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #792
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I'd like to finish with:

Turner
Shaw or T. Williams or Scarlett
Bailey
Sandifer or Merrick
Thompson
Arnette
Lewis
Wideman
Sawyer
Scarlett not likely to ever visit Columbia. Sandifer not coming if Bailey commits. Scratch Thompson.....this may help with Arnette now. Morrell thinks we will get 1 of Merrick, Womack, or Pellage in addition to Bailey.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #793
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Aren't we already counting Thomas, Ritchie, Sawyer, and possibly Smalls and Wideman? Sawyer will now be a part of the '15 class. We're already counting some EEs to count back for those from the '14 class that didn't get in: are you saying we need 6-7 more in attrition in addition to those EE countbacks?

The only early departures for the NFL that I see as possible are Davis and Shell, and that's it...
Those guys were part of the 2014 class because they signed an LOI, if they don't make it in, they aren't counted against our 2014 class and therefore we can use those spots to increase our 2015 class as long as we have enough EE which certainly is the case.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #794
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyATO View Post
With our current commit list, it seems we would switch gears and gun for some RBs. Were the coaches possibly filling the boat in order to use a solid class to attract marquee RB talent?
no they have been pushing for good RB's this class for a many months.....remember the first 2 to commit win....one of them looks to be Turner.....I hope Shaw is the other.....we can't have a good football team without a "Shaw".
Old 06-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #795
uscGRAD04
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I looked at Abernathy's profile on ESPN, I had to do a double take. Tell me he doesn't look like a thinner Eric Norwood!

Micah

Eric

lol Good eye
uscGRAD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #796
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:

Micah

Eric
Maybe they are related. Was Norwood from Norcross?
Old 06-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #797
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
no they have been pushing for good RB's this class for a many months.....remember the first 2 to commit win....one of them looks to be Turner.....I hope Shaw is the other.....we can't have a good football team without a "Shaw".
We'd have a Connor and a Shaw if we get Shaw....

"Shaw me your TD's...."

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #798
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormOfTalons View Post
According to 247, Abernathy is focused on Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia.

But I hope you and VolQuest are right.
I'm not a subscriber to VolQuest, but Ericvol posted that but of info in Abernathy's thread.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #799
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

Quote:
Maybe they are related. Was Norwood from Norcross?
Norwood is from North Cobb Georgia I believe

Gamecockfanatic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #800
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockfanatic4 View Post
Norwood is from North Cobb Georgia I believe
Not that far away I guess.