CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
MountainCock
Gamecocks1137
Master Bedroom
ReadR00ster
Outland
COCKYTALKIN
The Yancey
taylorssc
smoovecock
RGHoskins
The Gator Bowl wants (1918)
USC will upset Aubur (1492)
In-state QB talent (1208)
A simple defensive l (1129)
In-state QB talent (968)
Texas athletic direc (718)
Which loss hurt wors (710)
Ranking the SEC Foot (525)
USC Picked 12th By S (489)
BA ranks recruiting (422)
Google finally gets it ri
Garber vs Klinsmann round
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
SEC Debate: Best candidat
lack of production=
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
In-state QB talent
Ranking the SEC Football
Who start on the d line t
Back like cooked crack

Old 06-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #801
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material
Default Re: Discussion: 2015 Recruiting Impressions

Who are the Early Enrollees?

I read:

Octavis Johnson is a December grad, who else, besides the JUCO's.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #802
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

I have read that Alexander is an EE, although I also read he had grade issues, so the reports are all over the place with him....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #803
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post

I read:

From everything I've read, Johnson, Palmer, Clark, and Alexander. If we're only allowed four EE's and all those guys stick, we've obviously reached our limit.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #804
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
From everything I've read, Johnson, Palmer, Clark, and Alexander. If we're only allowed four EE's and all those guys stick, we've obviously reached our limit.
Thanks, but can we also do the Tennessee thing where we allow several of them to sign Financial Aid documents before Dec 1, and they fall into that black hole b/w classes?

Old 06-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #805
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

Do I misunderstand how this works? I thought there was no problem with a whole class potentially enrolling in the spring if they all graduate early.

The things about counting some back to the previous year is a bookkeeping thing if you didn't fill the previous class, that allows you to offer more scholarships that year and get around the 25 enrollees per year limit.

Not really sure what Tennessee was doing, it really didn't interest me much. If everyone starts doing it, it will either be allowed or they will close the loophole.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:44 PM   #806
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
Do I misunderstand how this works? I thought there was no problem with a whole class potentially enrolling in the spring if they all graduate early.

The things about counting some back to the previous year is a bookkeeping thing if you didn't fill the previous class, that allows you to offer more scholarships that year and get around the 25 enrollees per year limit.

Not really sure what Tennessee was doing, it really didn't interest me much. If everyone starts doing it, it will either be allowed or they will close the loophole.
we have to have room for the guys that enroll early......some of the seniors from the previous falls team might not be graduating until spring and would still count on the 85 on scholly for Spring Semester

idk I'm no expert its all confusing to me sometimes

Last edited by Gamecockfanatic4; 06-24-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Gamecockfanatic4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #807
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Maybe the issue is counting back. I wonder if any who enroll early if over the count-back limit are counted as part of the LOI class.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:40 PM   #808
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

Quote:

I read:

Where did you read that? (Not questioning it, just would like to know the source.) What would make that even better is that I read on a Georgia board that while Johnson was a great athlete, they passed on him due to academics.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:56 PM   #809
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:

Tenn had 33 in their class last year......to get down to 30 or less, either a few didn't qualify and/or they grayshirted a few.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:59 PM   #810
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
Maybe the issue is counting back. I wonder if any who enroll early if over the count-back limit are counted as part of the LOI class.
yes....the maximum number of EE for counting back is 5.....you can have the whole class of EE, but only 5 are eligible to count back.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:04 AM   #811
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
if our 2014 class only ends up having 17 that qualify, then we would be eligible to have a maximum of 5 EE that can be counted back.....22 less 17. We can have more than 5 EE, but only 5 can count back......I think we will end up having 7-8 EE.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:27 AM   #812
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Oh man, the 247 recruit calculator is too addictive.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:01 AM   #813
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:

Tennessee found a loophole in the wording of the recruiting limits for the SEC that limits 25 signees per cycle. The wording defined the cycle from December 1 to May 31st. So what they did is have a bunch of recruits sign Financial Aid agreement before Dec 1 and then enrolled them early. They had 12 guys enroll in January and 34 total commits, but all those EE guys didn't count back, b/c they had close to 80 on scholarship last season.

So They had 5 EE count back to get them to the 85 limit, 7 sign the Financial Aid agreement before Dec 1 to fall into the ether, and then signed 23 on NSD in Feb.

The loophole has not been closed and is still available to anyone. All we have to do is get as many recruits as we want/can get that can enroll early and get them to sign that Financial Aid agreement before Dec 1.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:04 AM   #814
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
yes....the maximum number of EE for counting back is 5.....you can have the whole class of EE, but only 5 are eligible to count back.
I think that 5 is a fluid number. If Wideman and Smalls qualify, we'd have 81 guys on scholarship, so that would mean 4 could count back in January (I believe.) However, with the Tenn Loophole we could get all the JUCO and even some of the HS EE's to sign that Financial Aid document and we could have 6-8 EE's no problem and still be within all the limits/dates as they are worded.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:08 AM   #815
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Tennessee found a loophole in the wording of the recruiting limits for the SEC that limits 25 signees per cycle. The wording defined the cycle from December 1 to May 31st. So what they did is have a bunch of recruits sign Financial Aid agreement before Dec 1 and then enrolled them early. They had 12 guys enroll in January and 34 total commits, but all those EE guys didn't count back, b/c they had close to 80 on scholarship last season.

So They had 5 EE count back to get them to the 85 limit, 7 sign the Financial Aid agreement before Dec 1 to fall into the ether, and then signed 23 on NSD in Feb.

The loophole has not been closed and is still available to anyone. All we have to do is get as many recruits as we want/can get that can enroll early and get them to sign that Financial Aid agreement before Dec 1.
having EE counting back has nothing to do with the max cap of 85.....Erick, the Vol on here, said they either grayshirted some and/or had a few that didn't qualify.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:12 AM   #816
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick66 View Post
Where did you read that? (Not questioning it, just would like to know the source.) What would make that even better is that I read on a Georgia board that while Johnson was a great athlete, they passed on him due to academics.
Over in Octavis's thread, they said that gogamcocks.com had an article that said Octavis is a December graduate. If he knows he's graduating early, at this point in time it would lead me to believe he has his academics in order. Although, Sawyer graduated/got his GED early so he could go to JUCO. So it might mean this or that, I'm sure it will be clarified soon.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:24 AM   #817
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
I think that 5 is a fluid number. If Wideman and Smalls qualify, we'd have 81 guys on scholarship, so that would mean 4 could count back in January (I believe.) However, with the Tenn Loophole we could get all the JUCO and even some of the HS EE's to sign that Financial Aid document and we could have 6-8 EE's no problem and still be within all the limits/dates as they are worded.
if Wideman and Smalls qualify, then Sawyer, Thomas and Ritchie didn't qualify. So the class had 21 originally, lost 3, ended up with 18....since we had a max last year of 22, that leaves 4 that could qualify for EE that could count back on the 2015 class. As of right now we have 81 and are therfore under the hard cap limit.

Jody Fuller hasn't been removed yet to get to 81.

Per GCC

82 - 82 = 0 over the scholarship limit of 82

Note: The scholarship limit is 82 for the 2013 and 2014 seasons.

Note: Walk-ons Connor McLaurin and Sidney Rhodes have been placed on scholarship for the 2013-14 school year.

Note: For purposes of this breakdown, it is assumed that all signees (except JUCO transfers) will redshirt, which is why they are listed under the 'Redshirts' column. Players under the 'Redshirts' column will be moved to the 'Freshmen' column as they play during the 2014 season.

05/20/14 - Removed Kalan Ritchie, did not qualify
05/15/14 - Removed Kelvin Rainey, transferring
04/14/14 - Removed Bryce King, transferring
04/12/14 - Removed Mohamed Camara, transferring
04/12/14 - Removed Kyle Fleetwood, transferring
03/13/14 - Removed Kwinton Smith, transferring
03/03/14 - Removed Ronnie Martin, transferring
03/03/14 - Removed Dante Sawyer, will attend JUCO
02/10/14 - Added Wesley Green, Chris Lammons, Blake McClain, D.J. Smith, Dexter Wideman
01/07/14 - Added current 2014 commitments (Abu Lamin, Bryson Allen-Williams, Joe Blue, K.C. Crosby, Shaq Davidson, Terry Googer, Al Harris Jr., Kalan Ritchie, Tyshun Samuel, Dante Sawyer, Michael Scarnecchia, Darin Smalls, Taylor Stallworth, Donell Stanley, Jhaustin Thomas and Malik Young)
01/07/14 - Added Elliot Fry, placed on scholarship
01/07/14 - Removed transfers (Kendric Salley, Ahmad Christian)
01/07/14 - Removed NFL entrants (Jadeveon Clowney, Bruce Ellington, Kelcy Quarles, Victor Hampton)
01/07/14 - Removed 2013 seniors (Connor Shaw, Ronald Patrick, Chaz Sutton, Jimmy Legree)
11/11/13 - Removed Nick St. Germain, no longer with program
10/24/13 - Removed J.P. Vonashek, no longer with program
08/19/13 - Added Connor McLaurin, placed on scholarship for 2013-14
08/19/13 - Added Sidney Rhodes, placed on scholarship for 2013-14
07/23/13 - Removed Devante Covington, did not qualify
07/23/13 - Removed Patrick Fish, no longer on scholarship
02/19/13 - Added 2013 commitments (Larenz Bryant, Mohamed Camara, Pharoh Cooper, Devante Covington, Kelsey Griffin, Ali Groves, David Johnson, Bryce King, Alan Knott, Ronnie Martin, Connor Mitch, Skai Moore, D.J. Park, Na'Ty Rodgers, Jasper Sasser, Jamari Smith, Gerald Turner, J.P. Vonashek, Jonathan Walton, Devin Washington, David Williams)
02/19/13 - Removed Kyle Harris, transfer
02/19/13 - Removed NFL entrants (Marcus Lattimore, Ace Sanders)
02/19/13 - Removed early graduates (Andrew Clifford, Chaun Gresham, DeAngelo Smith, Travis Ford)
02/19/13 - Removed 2012 seniors (Seth Strickland, Kenny Miles, Qua Gilchrist, D.L. Moore, Justice Cunningham, T.J. Johnson, Kaleb Broome, Byron Jerideau, Devin Taylor, Aldrick Fordham, Shaq Wilson, Quin Smith, Reginald Bowens, Damario Jeffery, DeVonte Holloman, D.J. Swearinger, Jared Shaw, Akeem Auguste, Walker Inabinet, Adam Yates)
08/26/12 - Added Travis Ford, placed on scholarship
08/26/12 - Added Jared Shaw, placed on scholarship
08/26/12 - Removed Sheldon Royster, transferring
08/11/12 - Added Adam Yates, placed on scholarship
08/10/12 - Removed Cadarious Sanders, transferring
08/07/12 - Removed Tanner McEvoy, transferring
08/06/12 - Added Seth Strickland, placed on scholarship
08/06/12 - Added Walker Inabinet, placed on scholarship
07/17/12 - Removed Edward Muldrow, transferring
06/30/12 - Removed Joe Harris, did not qualify
06/22/12 - Removed Kenny Davis, removed from scholarship
06/15/12 - Removed Corey Simmons, transferring
05/28/12 - Removed Carlos Hood, did not qualify
05/28/12 - Removed Jhaustin Thomas, did not qualify
05/22/12 - Removed Lamar Scruggs, transferred
04/13/12 - Removed Matt Coffee, medical
03/07/12 - Removed Angelo Watley, dismissed
01/13/12 - Added Chris Moody, commitment
01/13/12 - Added Mike Davis, commitment
01/07/12 - Added Jordan Diggs, commitment
01/05/12 - Added Chaz Elder, commitment
01/05/12 - Removed Stephon Gilmore, NFL
01/05/12 - Removed Alshon Jeffery, NFL
01/04/12 - Added Nick St. Germain, commitment
Old 06-25-2014, 01:33 AM   #818
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
having EE counting back has nothing to do with the max cap of 85.....Erick, the Vol on here, said they either grayshirted some and/or had a few that didn't qualify.
I thought that the EE rule was setup so that you could have guys enroll early, such as from a JUCO, but they could only fulfill the allotment of scholarships you didn't use the previous season or upcoming season up to 85.

Who did they grayshirt if they currently have 81 guys on scholarship according to this article and why? 33 of their 34 recruits on 247 have enrolled already.

http://knoxblogs.com/evanseleven/ten...ence-position/

Is tennessee saying that they only signed 25 recruits this cycle and that 8 of the 33 enrolled are grayshirting?

Old 06-25-2014, 01:40 AM   #819
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
if Wideman and Smalls qualify, then Sawyer, Thomas and Ritchie didn't qualify. So the class had 21 originally, lost 3, ended up with 18....since we had a max last year of 22, that leaves 4 that could qualify for EE that could count back on the 2015 class. As of right now we have 81 and are therfore under the hard cap limit.

J
I asked TM over at 247 about this today and I just thought to go and check. From what he wrote it looks like they penalty for this season's scholarship will not have an impact on the # of EE's we can take in January. So it won't be up to the 82 scholarships, it will be up to the 85 (meaning we can take 3 more EE's than what was proposed above) and still be under that 85 limit.) Although, I'm still trying to find out if that even really means anything if we can do what Tenn did and sign 12 EE's with the help of the Financial Aid agreements.

The recruits can sign those as early as Aug 1 but no later than Dec 1 if they want to EE under the loophole.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:28 AM   #820
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
I asked TM over at 247 about this today and I just thought to go and check. From what he wrote it looks like they penalty for this season's scholarship will not have an impact on the # of EE's we can take in January. So it won't be up to the 82 scholarships, it will be up to the 85 (meaning we can take 3 more EE's than what was proposed above) and still be under that 85 limit.) Although, I'm still trying to find out if that even really means anything if we can do what Tenn did and sign 12 EE's with the help of the Financial Aid agreements.

The recruits can sign those as early as Aug 1 but no later than Dec 1 if they want to EE under the loophole.
The 82 limit I believe goes through our 2014 season. Let's assume our 2014 class ended up with 18. That would make us eligible to have 4 EE in the 2015 class that count back to 2014. Now let's assume our 2015 class is 29 composed of 25 annual limit and 4 EE that can be counted back to 2014. We currently have 14 seniors. After the 2014 season, those 14 will be gone plus we will probably lose 4 that will opt to go to the NFL early. Since we now have 81, then subtract 18 after the 2014 season giving us 63. Then add the 29 from 2015 that gives us 92. This means we will need to have attrition of 7 to get us to the cap of 85 for the 2015 season. Of course there are a lot of assumptions used, but most of them are fairly realistic. I only used those numbers to be able to work through the example.