CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
sanford
TAFC 5 1981
gamecockgal
WeStill0wnUSC
Spurticus
garnet_black215
75CarolinaFan
rdwylie
MWard
Vic Beasley On Clown (1696)
Another A&M aggi (1424)
Predict Clemson 2014 (1294)
ACC Wants Helmet Com (688)
Green and Lammons (482)
Asheville/Spartanbur (449)
2016 - Terrance Davi (389)
2016 - Anthony " (322)
It's Cover Two's bda (248)
2016 - Dontye Carrie (215)
2015 - Brandon Sandifer
Green and Lammons
Georgia Defensive returni
SEC Coaches on the Hot Se
2015 - Johnny Frasier
Another A&M aggie off
Official WWE Thread
Nashville
2015 - Albert Huggins
Predict Clemson 2014

Old 06-25-2014, 05:17 AM   #1421
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material
Default Re: Official World Cup 2014 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
France is the most impressive in the tourney at this point, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
Netherlands to me...France has played some straight up cupcakes...and I don't care if France was playing Satan...I'm pulling for Satan.
I just think at the point of saying that, after 2 games played, France looks like the most complete team. They could slip up soon, but I doubt they get knocked out anytime soon.

Holland looked like contenders after the first game; pretenders after the second.

Even Argentina is an average team without Messi. But as long as he's healthy, he can be a difference maker.

Don't want the frogs to win, just saying it looks like they are for real this time around. AND with England, Italy and Spain already out, their chances are looking even better. If I had to pick a winner today, I would put my money on France.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:25 AM   #1422
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
Regardless of which you think is better, both have been impressive. I would rather face Argentina (if we get 2nd in Group G, if we beat Belgium vs finishing 1st) rather than France.

If we can stop Ronaldo, we can stop Messi. (That is a sentence I can't believe I just typed and actually think that)
I couldn't agree more.

On another note, that England-Costa Rico game was the worst of the tourney so far. British Scrubs vs. Latino Scrubs.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #1423
markp_vip
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Regardless of which you think is better, both have been impressive. I would rather face Argentina (if we get 2nd in Group G, if we beat Belgium vs finishing 1st) rather than France.

If we can stop Ronaldo, we can stop Messi. (That is a sentence I can't believe I just typed and actually think that)
1. We didn't totally stop him.
2. He wasn't anywhere near 100%, Messi will be.
3. Give me Messi, Aguero, and Mascherano together on any team and I'm a pretty happy man.
4. I can't bring myself to ever complement France.
But I still think we can take them if we get the ball to bounce our way.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #1424
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
1. We didn't totally stop him.
2. He wasn't anywhere near 100%, Messi will be.
3. Give me Messi, Aguero, and Mascherano together on any team and I'm a pretty happy man.
4. I can't bring myself to ever complement France.
But I still think we can take them if we get the ball to bounce our way.
Ronaldo had that cross at the end of the game. Other than that, he didn't do much of anything. It wasn't only this game but the Germany game where he was non-existent as well.

There's always been talk of Messi needing great players or a specific formation or style to be great. Maybe the same can be said of Ronaldo. So far, Messi has had zero support from teammates yet he has rescued Argentina. 100% or not, Ronaldo struggles with his international team. After all, they barely made the World Cup.

As for Argentina, they have been one of the least impressive teams to advance in the tournament. I know they have a great list of players but they are not very good right now. Messi has had to rescue them in both games. Like France or not, they seem to be much more dangerous than Argentina right now.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #1425
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I just think at the point of saying that, after 2 games played, France looks like the most complete team. They could slip up soon, but I doubt they get knocked out anytime soon.

Holland looked like contenders after the first game; pretenders after the second.

Even Argentina is an average team without Messi. But as long as he's healthy, he can be a difference maker.

Don't want the frogs to win, just saying it looks like they are for real this time around. AND with England, Italy and Spain already out, their chances are looking even better. If I had to pick a winner today, I would put my money on France.
Which game did Holland look like pretenders?

The Frogs look good but they played doormats so far. I hope that is why they look so good. I fart in their general direction.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #1426
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Going off topic for a moment. Why do people lump England in with teams like Spain and Italy? I've seen this on this board as well as ESPN FC. I don't get it. Just because England's fans THINK they are as good as other teams doesn't make it true.

I believe England has won one trophy in the last 50 years - the 1966 World Cup played on home soil. Was it a great achievement? Yes. Does that make them a national power? No. Granted, their youth national teams may have had some success (I'm not sure) but the national team hasn't won anything in nearly 50 years. Why do people consider them a successful footballing nation? Why are they shocked when England go out of a tournament? Why do people lump them in with truly great football/soccer countries?

I actually love England. I like their players, enjoy the culture, and have ancestors from there. However, I don't get this association with England as a great football/soccer team.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #1427
markp_vip
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Ronaldo had that cross at the end of the game. Other than that, he didn't do much of anything. It wasn't only this game but the Germany game where he was non-existent as well.

There's always been talk of Messi needing great players or a specific formation or style to be great. Maybe the same can be said of Ronaldo. So far, Messi has had zero support from teammates yet he has rescued Argentina. 100% or not, Ronaldo struggles with his international team. After all, they barely made the World Cup.

As for Argentina, they have been one of the least impressive teams to advance in the tournament. I know they have a great list of players but they are not very good right now. Messi has had to rescue them in both games. Like France or not, they seem to be much more dangerous than Argentina right now.
Yeah, I think they're playing with a lot of purpose after the debacle in 2010. Either team will be tough, but if we can get past Belgium we have a legitimate shot at beating France or Argentina. Course, need to make it out of the group first (Knock on wood).
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #1428
B-G
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Because they are one of the largest soccer playing nations, with some of the largest names in the sport, and one of the best domestic leagues in the world.

Winning is not the only thing that makes a country (in this case their soccer team) relevant.They are one of the largest names in the sport (not the best, of course)

I link them to a situation like Notre Dame (until just recently), sure they haven't won a title since the 80s, but to say they are an irrelevant football team isn't true.

Last edited by B-G; 06-25-2014 at 12:03 PM.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #1429
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post

The Frogs look good but they played doormats so far. I hope that is why they look so good. I fart in their general direction.

Australia

The French have crushed each of those doormats so far in convincing fashion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #1430
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post

Which match do you think I'm talking about? Maybe pretenders is a bit harsh, but I didn't think they looked that great against those world beating Aussies.

Quote:
I thought it was clear I was talking about Australia.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #1431
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Because they are one of the largest soccer playing nations, with some of the largest names in the sport, and one of the best domestic leagues in the world.

Winning is not the only thing that makes a country (in this case their soccer team) relevant.They are one of the largest names in the sport (not the best, of course)

I link them to a situation like Notre Dame (until just recently), sure they haven't won a title since the 80s, but to say they are an irrelevant football team isn't true.
I didn't say they weren't relevant. I just asked why people lump them in as giants alongside Italy and Spain. I love the EPL and follow everything that goes on in England when it comes to soccer. As much as they love the sport and have the most popular league, they aren't giants.

As for the comparison to Notre Dame, it isn't the same. Notre Dame's history and success goes back a long ways. They have 8 national titles. The better comparison to England would be Clemson or Georgia (one title and fans have unrealistic expectations about how good they are or should be). However, I would argue Clemson and Georgia have even been more successful than England.

I see England as a richer, more historic version of Mexico. It's the most popular sport and they do OK in tournaments. However, England never wins anything. At least Mexico has won CONCACAF and the Gold Cup.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #1432
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

England is grouped with them because they are a big name.

Really not that difficult to understand.

Not everything is about winning. When the soccer media is dominated by the English, especially in the US, they are going to be recognized.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #1433
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Yes I understand why they are talked about. However, England isn't close to being in the same class as Italy and Spain. It would be the equivalent of putting Clemson up there with Alabama. Granted, there isn't history, tradition, and media in Clemson. However, in terms of success on the field, it's a ridiculous inclusion.

It's media and fans who think their team is better than they really are and include them as one of the best. England is tigernet. I'm just calling it like I see it.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #1434
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Argentina v Nigeria - 2 goals in less than 4 minutes, including 1 by Messi. 1-1.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #1435
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yes I understand why they are talked about. However, England isn't close to being in the same class as Italy and Spain. It would be the equivalent of putting Clemson up there with Alabama. Granted, there isn't history, tradition, and media in Clemson. However, in terms of success on the field, it's a ridiculous inclusion.

It's media and fans who think their team is better than they really are and include them as one of the best. England is tigernet. I'm just calling it like I see it.
It's not on par at all with putting Alabama with Clemson.

They are not purely basing this group with success on the field.
Get over it pal.

#LukeForMod

Old 06-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #1436
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Which match do you think I'm talking about? Maybe pretenders is a bit harsh, but I didn't think they looked that great against those world beating Aussies.

I thought it was clear I was talking about Australia.
I could not even remember that game is why I was asking. Not every question has a sarcastic hidden set up...

Anyway, Cahill did have a couple good games to start the round until he was taken away and the Roos seemed to gas out.

I hate the French but I won't lie, they look more than formidable. I would actually cheer for Brasil over them and I do not like either team.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #1437
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
It's not on par at all with putting Alabama with Clemson.

They are not purely basing this group with success on the field.
Get over it pal.
Yes, it is. People have been writing that the giants are being taken out - Italy, Spain, and England.

Based on success on the field (especially how England has looked for the last 10 years on the field), it's not a valid statement or comparison. It's just wrong to include them. I don't get why you don't understand me questioning people putting England on par with Italy and Spain.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #1438
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Top leagues in the world:

La Liga BBVA--Spain
Bundesliga-Germany
Barclay's Premier League--England
Serie A--Italy
Eredivisie--Netherlands

Safe to say those are soccer powerhouse countries. Englands national team hasn't been consistent due to coaching ineptitude, has VERY little to do with their talent level. They have some of the best players in the world, but their coaches are idiots.

By your logic, Brazil, Germany and the Netherlands aren't in that category either because they haven't won anything in 10 years

In MY mind soccer power countries:

Germany
Netherlands
Italy
France
Spain
Brazil
England

Last edited by Biocockanics; 06-25-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Biocockanics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #1439
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Yes, it is. People have been writing that the giants are being taken out - Italy, Spain, and England.

Based on success on the field (especially how England has looked for the last 10 years on the field), it's not a valid statement or comparison. It's just wrong to include them. I don't get why you don't understand me questioning people putting England on par with Italy and Spain.
Because they are a soccer giant.

They may not have the success of those countries, but they have the popularity, star players, a lot of money, the EPL, etc etc etc.

I understand why you are questioning it, but I don't think it is at all surprising of why they are being mentioned.

#LukeForMod

Old 06-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #1440
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=...z-2384766.html

FIfa opens disciplinary actions...and WOW at the expedited timeline...

Quote:
FIFA can confirm that disciplinary proceedings have been opened against the player Luis Suarez of Uruguay following an apparent breach of art. 48 and/or art. 57 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code during the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ match Italy-Uruguay played on 24 June 2014. The player and/or the Uruguayan FA are invited to provide with their position and any documentary evidence they deem relevant until 25 June 2014, 5pm, Brasilia time
Minimum 2 game ban...maximum 2 year ban.