CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
The Yancey
IBleedGarnetandBlack
ReadR00ster
Spurticus
StormOfTalons
gamecock88
ZenUSC
bcolinc
Garnet Gamecock
Nick Chubb (6385)
A&M on 3rd down (1639)
All of our defensive (1354)
Spurrier Presser (1292)
Uniform thread (1080)
Cack's Toast of the (1038)
louisville (1020)
Rankings (891)
Spurrier: Davis Will (812)
3-4 "D" Ke (601)
3-4 "D" Keep it
Not a talent issue
Recruiting Question
Rankings
Defensive Backfield
East Carolina Prediction
USC/Georgia 9/13/2014
Nick Chubb
Spurrier: Davis Will Be A
Jets Cut Tajh Boyd

Old 06-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #81
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material
Default Re: D.Thompson vs mizz u.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
The way to beat USC is to blitz and play man coverage.

Teams could not blitz us very much because of the threat of Connor breaking loose for big yards with everyone turning their backs to him. So they played a lot of Cover 2 zone and tried to bring some different looks to keep everything in front of them. That is when USC starts picking you apart with Curl/flat combination routes and down the seams.

With Dylan, however, you can man up on the outside and bring a bunch of people to test an offensive line that has been mediocre in pass protection. If you have success getting to Thompson, you'll eventually get Spurrier to go into a shell and at that point you can load the box to stop Davis.

USC's key this year is to play ahead of the chains and don't turn it over. Do those things and things should hum nicely.
Nick Jones and Damier Byrd create matchup problems in man to man because of their quickness and strength. Also, I don't think I would want to be one on one against Shaq Roland. Covering the tight end with a run-oriented safety or linebacker could also be a problemo.

If Thompson can throw the out pass with precision and our receivers have hands like the end of the year last year, we should be good with press man.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #82
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Nick Jones and Damier Byrd create matchup problems in man to man because of their quickness and strength. Also, I don't think I would want to be one on one against Shaq Roland. Covering the tight end with a run-oriented safety or linebacker could also be a problemo.

If Thompson can throw the out pass with precision and our receivers have hands like the end of the year last year, we should be good with press man.

Our receivers will be excellent but Thompson can't throw if he is on his back or being forced to get rid of it to his check downs earlier than he wants to because of pressure. Teams are going to bring a lot more pressure than they have recently.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #83
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Having a 5th year senior QB with big game experience and huge film room work ethic will pay dividends against blitzing defenses. Defenses can live and die by the blitz and when a QB knows it's coming that's when he can burn them with quick screens or even a draw/shovel pass to the RB. Get the ball past the blitz and there is nothing but open space.
Coondog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #84
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
Having a 5th year senior QB with big game experience and huge film room work ethic will pay dividends against blitzing defenses. Defenses can live and die by the blitz and when a QB knows it's coming that's when he can burn them with quick screens or even a draw/shovel pass to the RB. Get the ball past the blitz and there is nothing but open space.
Agreed but getting the ball out has been a big issue with our pocket passers since 2005.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 06-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #85
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Agreed but getting the ball out has been a big issue with our pocket passers since 2005.
Well there is no arguing that. Thompson has been quoted that he is really working on getting the ball out quickly like Spurrier preaches. I just believe that he (you could probably add Blake Mitchell as well) is the prototypical type of QB Spurrier had when he was at Florida and the offense should resemble that this year. On paper this is the best offense Spurrier has had since he got here. Obviously on paper doesn't mean squat until they take it to the field but I really think this offense has the making to be one of Spurrier's best.
Coondog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #86
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Our receivers will be excellent but Thompson can't throw if he is on his back or being forced to get rid of it to his check downs earlier than he wants to because of pressure. Teams are going to bring a lot more pressure than they have recently.
Yeah, now teams are rotating in so many d-line in they can keep up the pressure all game.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #87
uscGRAD04
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Check downs to Mike Davis or one of our TE's when the DEF is blitzing and in Man-to-man wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. For all the grief he got about fumbling the ball twice against Mizzou last year, MD had 10 catches for a 100 yds in that game.
uscGRAD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #88
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Heard it before but this should be by far the best OL we have had under Spurrier with some very experienced, good blocking TE's and experienced good blocking RB's to give DT some time. DT and Davis should kill overly aggressive D's with screens and wheel routes, they were good at this last year and should be better this year.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #89
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

when teams have blitzed in the pass. Gameplan just like when Shaw came in against Mizzou. screen passes and chechdown passes to MD.
FanofCarolina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #90
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscGRAD04 View Post
Check downs to Mike Davis or one of our TE's when the DEF is blitzing and in Man-to-man wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. For all the grief he got about fumbling the ball twice against Mizzou last year, MD had 10 catches for a 100 yds in that game.
I like the out pass to the X. DCs usually will account for the back on most blitz packages because that is the first option (usually) for a QB under duress. The QB should be able to get the out pass delivered before the blitzers arrive if properly executed. The X has to beat the CB to make it work though.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #91
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
I like the out pass to the X. DCs usually will account for the back on most blitz packages because that is the first option (usually) for a QB under duress. The QB should be able to get the out pass delivered before the blitzers arrive if properly executed. The X has to beat the CB to make it work though.
The last couple of quick passes I've seen from Dylan have been in the dirt. Has to be a mechanical flaw.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #92
drumboy
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
drumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spurs

Quote:
The last couple of quick passes I've seen from Dylan have been in the dirt. Has to be a mechanical flaw.
I'm a little puzzled as to why you're so negative about Thompson. Even though I only signed up here a few weeks ago, I've been reading the board for several years, and I've found you to be very knowledgeable and even-handed with your criticism and praise.

Thompson has never before had the confidence of an undisputed starter. He has that this year. Also, according to his twitter, he worked with Mastrole during the off-season. I expect that the glitch in his mechanics has been corrected. He's working the team this summer like it hasn't been worked before, according to an article I read on another site by a respected source. There is every reason to be optimistic about this year.

Let's give him a chance before we decide he isn't up to the job. Spurrier said Thompson was the best player on the field. That's a big statement, even for Spurrier. He has confidence in Thompson. There has to be a good reason for that.
drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #93
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

I have guarded optimism with Dylan. I worry that a lot of our fanbase is getting the cart before the horse right now without looking at his entire body of work. He is just as much of a question mark as other units on the team.

He worked with a QB guru last Summer too and depending on who you talk to, George Whitfield might've messed him up.

I don't think he is going to suck this year. I do however think that some things are going to have to work in favor of him to have the kind of success that is expected. Starting with the offensive line. These guys have got to keep his jersey clean and allow him to get the ball out. Like I said before, this offense is going to face some different looks now that the threat of a QB scampering for 20+ yards is gone. If we get into a bunch of 3rd and longs, its pin the ears back and go get him. Also the threat of the zone read could be gone if Dylan can't make teams pay for selling out on Davis. Its time for the offensive line to get off this finesse shit and start mauling people on 1st down so we can get into some 2nd and 5, 3rd & short situations. That allows for play-action to happen.

Dylan also plays off emotion. When good things are happening to him, he can really get the offense humming. But when he faces some adversity, I think things start to get shaky for him. You have to acknowledge his career 50% completion percentages. That screams of inconsistency.

He has also only played in 2 hostile SEC environments so far, Florida (blowout) / Mizzou (ineffectiveness). For a team looking for a championship, you'd like to have a guy that has done it before. So I think that is going to be a question mark too. Also look at the defenses he has played significant time against .. Missouri, Clemson, Michigan, East Carolina, UAB .. Not exactly world beaters like Florida and possibly a Georgia could be this year. I'm really curious how he is going to hold up being the guy that is being game planned for every week. IMO, the Georgia game is going to be his measuring stick.

I have no doubt of his knowledge of the playbook and his ability to make all of throws. I think he can be wonderful just like Coach Spurrier does but I need to see a few games to believe it first.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #94
TonyVercetti
Recruit

Male

TonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervousTonyVercetti is making other chickens nervous

C2 such a great post. Very honest.

For the record i love DT. Think he is a great person. And can be a great quarterback. I watched the 2010 spring game i believe. Maybe 11. And you can see how much he has changed his mechanics. Thats the first thing i noticed last year when he stepped in aganst UNC. As soon as he threw the TD i noticed how they had changed just from the year before.

Looking at Dylan's full body of work i like to say this, "when hes on, hes on" and i used to say the same about Mitchell. Who i like a lot. He reminds me of Blake.

Idk. Guess all we can do is wait and see. Im excited. Its gonna be fun the ball will be in the air!

I know this for sure. If thompson plays as good as he has on the past we will see true Fun n gun like weve very rarely seen here. Cock n fire
TonyVercetti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #95
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

The same song, different verse with Dylan.
His consistency.
If the Dylan that shows up against Clemson two years ago, or the one that performed in the Outback Bowl against Michigan, we will have a good offense.

If the one that showed up against UCF or Mizzou shows up, it will be a struggle.

Simple as that.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #96
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
I have guarded optimism with Dylan. I worry that a lot of our fanbase is getting the cart before the horse right now without looking at his entire body of work. He is just as much of a question mark as other units on the team.

He worked with a QB guru last Summer too and depending on who you talk to, George Whitfield might've messed him up.

I don't think he is going to suck this year. I do however think that some things are going to have to work in favor of him to have the kind of success that is expected. Starting with the offensive line. These guys have got to keep his jersey clean and allow him to get the ball out. Like I said before, this offense is going to face some different looks now that the threat of a QB scampering for 20+ yards is gone. If we get into a bunch of 3rd and longs, its pin the ears back and go get him. Also the threat of the zone read could be gone if Dylan can't make teams pay for selling out on Davis. Its time for the offensive line to get off this finesse shit and start mauling people on 1st down so we can get into some 2nd and 5, 3rd & short situations. That allows for play-action to happen.

Dylan also plays off emotion. When good things are happening to him, he can really get the offense humming. But when he faces some adversity, I think things start to get shaky for him. You have to acknowledge his career 50% completion percentages. That screams of inconsistency.

He has also only played in 2 hostile SEC environments so far, Florida (blowout) / Mizzou (ineffectiveness). For a team looking for a championship, you'd like to have a guy that has done it before. So I think that is going to be a question mark too. Also look at the defenses he has played significant time against .. Missouri, Clemson, Michigan, East Carolina, UAB .. Not exactly world beaters like Florida and possibly a Georgia could be this year. I'm really curious how he is going to hold up being the guy that is being game planned for every week. IMO, the Georgia game is going to be his measuring stick.

I have no doubt of his knowledge of the playbook and his ability to make all of throws. I think he can be wonderful just like Coach Spurrier does but I need to see a few games to believe it first.
Fully agree with you on all points.
It isn't tearing a guy down, it is being realistic.
And as you said, right now, Dylan is still a question mark.

We know what we can do when he is on, we also know what we get when he is off.

One thing, you never know what knowing that you are "the guy" does for a guys mentality. Again, another intangible that won't be answered until the TAMU game...no amount of practice reports will answer questions we have about Dylan and this offense.
Two-time National Champs

Old 06-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #97
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Quote:

Yes, all those matchup issues are nice for us.
Goes back to C2, if the Oline pass protection doesn't improve, it doesn't matter how many mismatches we have.
Two-time National Champs

Old 06-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #98
highpockets12
Recruit

Male

highpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurs

My concern with DT, is his ability to come out and be calm. He needs to be setteled in the pocket. In the past I noticed he was like a race horse to anxious to get in the chute. Some analyst say this will be the best team SOS has fielded since coming to Carolina, And I believe it. TAM coach stated he was suspious of SOS," Been to quite this summer. Iam thinking he may have somthing".
highpockets12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #99
drumboy
Walk On

Male

drumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpockets12 View Post
My concern with DT, is his ability to come out and be calm. He needs to be setteled in the pocket. In the past I noticed he was like a race horse to anxious to get in the chute. Some analyst say this will be the best team SOS has fielded since coming to Carolina, And I believe it. TAM coach stated he was suspious of SOS," Been to quite this summer. Iam thinking he may have somthing".
I think Thompson is more emotional than Shaw, but I don't see that as a bad thing. He stated in an interview not too long ago that in the past season he felt the pressure to make a big play every time he took the field, or he would be taken out. I think that will be gone this season. It's his team.

CoverTwo, thank you for your measured response. I can see how you would think that way, and I agree that Thompson is not a fully proven commodity at this point. I think Whitfield did mess up his mechanics, and I also think that's why he went to Mastrole a few months ago instead of Whitfield again.

I've read many articles that peg us to win the SEC East, and several that have us winning the whole enchilada. In Lindy's, they mention Thompson as intelligent and more than capable. I think they're right. He's a smart guy, and he knows this season is his one shot at the NFL.

I think you'll feel better about him after we win the first three games.
drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #100
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Like I said before, this offense is going to face some different looks now that the threat of a QB scampering for 20+ yards is gone.
I believe one of the keys will be that Dylan in fact is able to up his running game. I see no reason he couldn't be an effective zone read guy. The mold has been cast....
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote