CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
El Cid Ranger
WeStillOwnUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
taylorssc
USCNowAndForever
gamecockgal
Gamecocks1137
COCKYTALKIN
SC Sandlapper
B-G
Interesting quotes f (2189)
Have you ever been s (1381)
Key for 2015 defense (861)
Tennessee Offense Br (859)
Skai Moore out for U (599)
Women's Team Ranked (552)
This season and recr (466)
Lebron makes Clevela (399)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (265)
Cockaboose Video (172)
USC Heritage Banner
Interesting quotes from D
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
***2014 Carolina Panthers
Wallpaper & Backgroun
Brady Hoke Motivational S
Lebron makes Cleveland re
Chances we win out now?
Skai Moore out for UT

Old 06-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #101
mick66
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit
Default Re: D.Thompson vs mizz u.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
TBS reported a few weeks ago that the QBs have their own testing and exercise plan to improve arm strength. They tested velocity and Orth was 1st, Thompson 2nd, Mitch 3rd.
If I remember right there was only 1 mph difference between each guy though, so it's pretty much a push.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #102
YouCanNeverTell
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
YouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot material

Dylan has made some scampers in his day. Despite being a more pro style drop back passer he can still do a lot of the same things Connor did. I'm looking forward to seeing him perform this year. I'm expecting big things.
YouCanNeverTell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #103
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

I'm another one that thinks Dylan is mobile enough that the defense has to respect him on the zone read.

Seems like he is forgotten now, but Garcia couldn't break plays like Shaw did running, but he did enough to make the defense respect him enough to make the zone read go.

Thompson to my eye has more foot speed than Garcia did, though I do have some memories of Garcia trucking a few SEC defensive players (and not all of them defensive backs).

But we really don't know how durable he will be if he does need to run a lot. Garcia got hit pretty hard a number of games, but seemed to shrug it off.

I have to agree with CoverTwo though. We just don't seem to run the ball well. The zone read is just about the whole way we have been able to do it. The UCF game was kind of an anomaly, with their 220-230 pound defensive ends.

Our draw game doesn't work either unless we hit passes downfield.

The fact that we can't seem to make normal running plays work, yet we don't fully embrace spread running concepts is ... I dunno? Worrisome? Puzzling?

But if we are ever able to run the ball down someone's throat like Alabama or Wisconsin, this is the year. Best offensive line talentwise and in the NFL's eyes we've ever had. Great collection of backs. If not now, then when?

I really hope we use the tight ends this year. I'm not someone who wears garnet glasses, but Anderson and Adams are matchup nightmares for linebackers. I look at guys that have been taken as first rounders the past few years in the NFL draft, and they sure seem to have the same tools.

I'd love to see some two tight end sets, some formations with either one split wide, and a lot of patterns over the middle.

I'm not sure that many teams we play have linebackers athletic enough to run with them.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #104
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

I'm fairly certain that Garcia was faster than DT.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #105
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
But if we are ever able to run the ball down someone's throat like Alabama or Wisconsin...
Wisky runs those same zone plays and zone blocking we do. The difference is they just executed better than our guys do...we still struggle with stunts, shifts, and blitzes. Most of the time our plays get stopped or jammed, it's because the other defense has outsmarted out OL. We still have guys standing and looking for someone to block while our RB or QB are getting chased from another location.

I've also seen Bama run that same basic inside zone play...not sure how often they run it.

The biggest struggle our OL has had the past few years is whiffing on blocks...especially against smaller/quicker DEs, LBs and DBs. Vandy used to eat our lunch with smaller/slower guys who loaded up one side and screwed up our plays with a power blitz. I think this is why some of our OL guys came back....they really weren't ready for the next level.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #106
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Garcia was the typical "A to B" rushing QB, like most "dual threat" QBs are. A lot of the DT QBs are simply QBs that keep an eye on any running lanes that may open during a passing play, and if so tuck the ball and take off. But they run in a straight line - from A to B - until they are tackled. Pure pocket passing QBs seldom even keep an eye to the field for rushing purposes: even if they come open, those QBs keep looking downfield for the open receiver. Often they keep looking downfield even when their pocket collapses and take the sack, when they could've tucked the ball and run for positive yardage. A lot of the difference between a dual-threat QB and a pocket-passing QB is simply how comfortable that QB is with tucking the ball and running with it....

Shaw was not only slightly quicker than a lot of running QBs - closer to 4.5 than 4.7 - but he wasn't like the "A to B" running when he was totally healthy, but had a good vision of the field and could make cuts and lateral moves like a receiver or RB, to get the extra yard or 2. Both he and Garcia (especially Garcia) had issues with wanting to tuck the ball and run way before they needed to, giving up on passing plays well before Spurrier was happy with. Both improved on this as their careers progressed.

Thompson IMO is capable of tucking the ball and running, but he's probably not as comfortable doing it as Shaw was, and he's not a fast as Shaw. He'll be more of the "A to B" type runner, and will most likely only run on certain plays designed to allow for it, whereas Shaw was better at taking off and picking up 1st downs on busted pass plays. Garcia could take punishment better than Shaw could, and even gave back a little on some runs (2010 USM & UF), but Shaw could get more yds out of his runs...

I seem to remember early in Garcia's time at USC they ran 40 times for the QBs. Mitchell was still at USC, and he along with Garcia and Smelley all ran 4.7 40s, with Beecher I think running slightly faster at 4.6 or so. Mitchell was actually more of a runner in HS as a QB than he was at USC, although he was classed as a pocket passer (pro-style)...
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #107
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
he got us inside the mizzou 35 four times in that ball game including his only drive of the 2nd half. i didnt find anything really troubling about his performance that makes me question how he'll perform this coming season.

he needs to improve his accuracy, but some of the flaws in the past i hope will keep us from asking him to go win a game by himself when its not necessary. its going to be even more important for him to involve the backs because hes not as apt as shaw to gain 10 yards on his own to keep a drive going. the running game, the short passes like in the spring game will hopefully keep him in good down/distance situations and open up some big plays downfield.

we'll see how he responds to adversity this season, but again its not something i worry about. he played well in tight 4th quarters vs clemson and michigan in 2012. he shook off a subpar 1st half vs ucf and went 6-10 146 yards in the 2nd half. there are more reasons to be hopeful than there are to be concerned about him. he can make the throws, he has the smarts, he has the coaching, hes dedicated, he has the size, hes been in the fire, and hes had a chance to watch our best qb ever for multiple years. i expect him to play well.
Well said. I especially agree about him involving the backs. I would add that I hope & think we'll involve the TE's more this year. I hardly ever use the term loaded at a position but we have 2 TE's (if Anderson is healthy) that should be giving headaches to defenses. J. Adams cannot be covered by a LB unless that player is highly exceptional. Taking the short stuff with the backs & TE's will be the key to Dylan's success imo. We get 3rd & 7-10 Dylan ain't going to consistently bail us out with his feet. It will also result in many more sacks than most on here would seem to think.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #108
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
I honestly think spurrier prefers winning the game by running the ball, playing keep away, letting his defense rest, and limiting turnovers now. The Fun n Gun days are over in my opinion. Time to accept it.

I posted that several years ago. Some on here refused to believe it then & I doubt they'll believe it now despite what their lying eyes are seeing. The days of dropping back in the pocket & chunking the ball 20-25 yards down the field every other play are over. Unless your OL is absolutely stellar your QB will be on his back quite often. Defenses (particularly SEC defenses) are just to fast to allow standing around in the pocket for very long on a consistent basis. Arkansas under Petrino was the closest SEC team to successfully duplicating that offense since Spurrier has been at USC in my eyes.

I much prefer what we do now as opposed to what SOS tried to do when he got here. Hats off to the man for not being to stubborn to change what made him an icon & adapting to a new day. I hope like hell we stay with it. Blake Mitchell is a prime example. As good as they come when he was protected, unfortunately back then we were just hell bent on chunking the ball all over the field & the OL wasn't up to the task every week. The results reflected such. Very, very good some days. Others not so good.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #109
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
[/b]

I posted that several years ago. Some on here refused to believe it then & I doubt they'll believe it now despite what their lying eyes are seeing. The days of dropping back in the pocket & chunking the ball 20-25 yards down the field every other play are over. Unless your OL is absolutely stellar your QB will be on his back quite often. Defenses (particularly SEC defenses) are just to fast to allow standing around in the pocket for very long on a consistent basis. Arkansas under Petrino was the closest SEC team to successfully duplicating that offense since Spurrier has been at USC in my eyes.

I much prefer what we do now as opposed to what SOS tried to do when he got here. Hats off to the man for not being to stubborn to change what made him an icon & adapting to a new day. I hope like hell we stay with it. Blake Mitchell is a prime example. As good as they come when he was protected, unfortunately back then we were just hell bent on chunking the ball all over the field & the OL wasn't up to the task every week. The results reflected such. Very, very good some days. Others not so good.
Mitchell had trouble with reading zones. If you played press against him, he would light you up.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #110
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

If the days of chunking the ball a bunch are over then what exactly do we do when Thompson plays? Oh yeah, throw it.

I'd argue that people are holding false hope that Spurrier is going to lean on his running game (run Mike Davis 25 times) with a pocket passer ... And throw to tight ends.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #111
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

It's not so much that DT is a terrible runner, it's that he looks so goofy when he runs. He's pretty athletic. Maybe he just needs someone to help him run with more style.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #112
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
If the days of chunking the ball a bunch are over then what exactly do we do when Thompson plays? Oh yeah, throw it.

I'd argue that people are holding false hope that Spurrier is going to lean on his running game (run Mike Davis 25 times) with a pocket passer ... And throw to tight ends.
Throw to the backs & TE's, run the football, & pick your spots to go down field. If you think we're gonna drop back & throw 20 -30 yards down the field every other play then I understand why you're skeptical about the year. I would be too, I just trust the coaches understand we have some serious question marks on defense & hopefully will adjust the offense accordingly.

What scares me is when we get behind & sputter running the ball a few times is Spurrier getting impatient & getting away from our recipe for success.

You've come a long way from there's nothing wrong with this offense, we just don't have the OL to where you are now. Nothing wrong with that, you want to continue to do what's working. So do I.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #113
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

CockyCash: 1200
palmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
What scares me is when we get behind & sputter running the ball a few times is Spurrier getting impatient & getting away from our recipe for success.
That's my main concern. We've got the pieces, but we're going to have to be balanced and keep people guessing to succeed. Although Dylan is an underrated runner, he doesn't have the same skill set as Shaw did in that department. The days of called pass plays becoming long runs are likely over. Those DB's aren't going to game plan for the QB running unless we give them a reason to, which means tighter coverage.
palmettosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #114
TonyVercetti
Banned

Male

TonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his combTonyVercetti is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettosc View Post
That's my main concern. We've got the pieces, but we're going to have to be balanced and keep people guessing to succeed. Although Dylan is an underrated runner, he doesn't have the same skill set as Shaw did in that department. The days of called pass plays becoming long runs are likely over. Those DB's aren't going to game plan for the QB running unless we give them a reason to, which means tighter coverage.
Good. because most the time they werent long runs. They were loss of two or three. Maybe gin of two or three, with someone open downfield.

Glad those days will be over
TonyVercetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #115
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1072
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick66 View Post
It's not so much that DT is a terrible runner, it's that he looks so goofy when he runs. He's pretty athletic. Maybe he just needs someone to help him run with more style.
Those goofy runs scored a few TD's so I'm fine with his goofy running style
Old 06-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #116
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVercetti View Post
Good. because most the time they werent long runs. They were loss of two or three. Maybe gin of two or three, with someone open downfield.

who isn't glad that conner shaw is no longer gonna be running our office?
Old 06-25-2014, 10:05 PM   #117
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

palmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVercetti View Post

Beats a loss of 7 if whoever ends up taking a sack. Pluses and minuses to either approach. Just have to hope we minimize that and get it done.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:05 PM   #118
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
who isn't glad that conner shaw is no longer gonna be running our office?
Dabo probably is happy.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #119
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 200499500136447999
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
I'm fairly certain that Garcia was faster than DT.
Not sure how accurate this Rivals info was, or how college weight changed things, but they had 2 star Dylan listed with 4.6 speed and 4 star Stephen at 4.65.

http://sports.yahoo.com/eastcarolina...Thompson-86265

https://sports.yahoo.com/footballrec...n-Garcia-33454

Continued searching .... according to these next two links, and I'm not sure where this data comes from, Stephen's best 40 time is listed as 4.87 with a high of 5.12 (average 5.0), while Dylan's best was 4.73 with a high of 4.94 (average 4.83).

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2012&genpos=qb

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2015&genpos=QB

Last edited by BeatBamaTwice; 06-25-2014 at 10:36 PM.
BeatBamaTwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:25 PM   #120
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Escaping pressure takes several different forms. Shaw is tailback fast and did well on planned runs and opportunistic escapes. He loved pissing off defenders by getting his yardage, then going down and avoiding getting hit. Even his shoulder injury (fractured scapula) was a hit while on the ground. I thought a few times, he didn't sprint hard the first few steps and got caught with the ball, but he beat pressure pretty well.
If Dylan can sprint out while looking downfield, he will take few hits, avoid sacks, and find TE's open because of the pressure on LB's and safeties for run support. He'll also be out where it's legal to chunk it OB past the line. We know both Byrd and Shaq can be 5-10 yards open if the DB takes a look into the backfield.
Manziel escaped with good speed, but excellent vision (and guts) while looking downfield. He has Tarkenton-like cutting and vision but prefers to airmail it once he's escaped. If he breaks contain, he has the speed to go upfield fast. Dylan will likely not be a step-up and-send-it-long guy against outside pressure, but more likely a dump-it-off guy. I'm guessing he will use planned roll-outs with backs blocking then releasing and middle and WR screens to beat pressure. We might also use more 2 TE looks with running and passing in mind dependin on the strengths of the other team's defense.
One thing I remember about Spurrier's nearly uncoverable routes at Fla (hated them) was the sharp underneath cuts across the middle - often from bunch routes . Quick short passes that gained 10-15 yards and made pressure almost useless.

Also pretty sure the 4.7 time is correct for both Garcia and Dylan. Differences in quickness of foot often account for escapability more than 40 speed. W Dantzler likely ran about a 4.55-4.6, but could take 4 quick steps to daylight before the defender was sure where he was going.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote