CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
StormOfTalons
Master Bedroom
Acockolypse Now
Rooster'srule
sanford
El Cid Ranger
b381l
cocksmith1or11
Order 66
Backup QB competitio (2642)
2014 Preseason USA T (1267)
Ranking the SEC Fema (780)
Anyone heard anythin (721)
Future Non-Conferenc (628)
Spurrier on the cove (411)
What Would You Do? (393)
Ranking the SEC scho (304)
Tupelo Honey Cafe (225)
Ranking the SEC Fema (222)
Musburger/Palmer to comme
Hello Gamecocks!
Anyone heard anything abo
2014 Signee - Joe Blue
An Aggies View of the Mat
Backup QB competition
2015 - Albert Huggins
Dustin Johnson taking a l
2015 - Brandon Sandifer
Cheap jersey and very nic

Old 06-25-2014, 10:46 PM   #121
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit
Default Re: D.Thompson vs mizz u.

Well, I'll throw myself under the bus, and say this. Cover2 makes a very valid point with his belief that we may go back to just chunking, not using the TE's etc. with a drop back (Dylan) QB. He's, I assume, basing that on what we've seen in the past. Hardcore evidence. I'm thinking we'll use the backs, TE's, etc based on nothing but hope. When one guy has hardcore evidence & another guy has nothing but hope, the guy with the evidence will be right more than vice-versa.

I still believe we'll try to control the ball but I can't support that position with much of anything other than I trust the coaches. He's got more bullets in his gun than I do right now.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:47 PM   #122
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
If the days of chunking the ball a bunch are over then what exactly do we do when Thompson plays? Oh yeah, throw it.

I'd argue that people are holding false hope that Spurrier is going to lean on his running game (run Mike Davis 25 times) with a pocket passer ... And throw to tight ends.

This. Occasionally/Situationally, Spurrier will go run heavy, but he still has a tendency to go pass heavy more often than not. The statement that Spurrier prefers to call a bunch of runs and grind it out now seems ridiculous to me. We were grinding because Shaw was running for first downs on called pass plays half the time. Look at the plays he called. And it's comical at this point that people are still expecting the TEs to be featured... Could happen but not likely... Do people even watch the games?
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:58 PM   #123
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
Throw to the backs & TE's, run the football, & pick your spots to go down field. If you think we're gonna drop back & throw 20 -30 yards down the field every other play then I understand why you're skeptical about the year. I would be too, I just trust the coaches understand we have some serious question marks on defense & hopefully will adjust the offense accordingly.

What scares me is when we get behind & sputter running the ball a few times is Spurrier getting impatient & getting away from our recipe for success.

You've come a long way from there's nothing wrong with this offense, we just don't have the OL to where you are now. Nothing wrong with that, you want to continue to do what's working. So do I.
Everything you said above is the complete opposite of what we do when Thompson is in the game. We had to play the way above because it maximized our QBs strength. New QB, new offensive strategy this year.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:05 PM   #124
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit

I don't know who covertwo was responding to with that quote. One poster said the fun & gun days were over & I agreed. I won't try to speak for another poster but my comments had little to nothing to do with the number of throws. I was strictly basing my comments on the notion of chunking the ball 20 - 25 yards repeatedly like we used to do. Got no problem even with the notion of throwing more than running, just like the safer, quicker, shorter dinks & dunks mixed in with the down field stuff.

Last edited by conwaycock2; 06-25-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:19 PM   #125
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Everything you said above is the complete opposite of what we do when Thompson is in the game. We had to play the way above because it maximized our QBs strength. New QB, new offensive strategy this year.
You don't think we'll try to run the ball with Dylan at QB? I do & we have. I posted what I hope we do. Maybe I'm not following you, which offense would you like to see Spurrier run with Dylan at QB. What he ran when he first got here or something similar to what we're doing now?

My biggest problem with the old stuff was every pass pattern seemed like it took two days to develop. Many times every receiver was 18 yards or more down the field with very few options underneath. Worked great a long time ago.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:31 PM   #126
TonyVercetti
Recruit

Male

TonyVercetti has feathers coming inTonyVercetti has feathers coming inTonyVercetti has feathers coming in

Quote:
You don't think we'll try to run the ball with Dylan at QB? I do & we have. I posted what I hope we do. Maybe I'm not following you, which offense would you like to see Spurrier run with Dylan at QB. What he ran when he first got here or something similar to what we're doing now?

My biggest problem with the old stuff was every pass pattern seemed like it took two days to develop. Many times every receiver was 18 yards or more down the field with very few options underneath. Worked great a long time ago.
Id love for him to run what he ran when he first got here. We have a much better team now. And we all saw how unstoppable it was when everything clicked. Aka vs houston in the liberty bowl
TonyVercetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:43 PM   #127
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVercetti View Post
Id love for him to run what he ran when he first got here. We have a much better team now. And we all saw how unstoppable it was when everything clicked. Aka vs houston in the liberty bowl
The second half up at Neyland was as good as it gets on offense after he put Blake in after benching him to start the game. Problem is there were to many times it didn't click. Defenses are getting faster & faster & there just isn't time to stand back there very long.

If we go totally away from the short stuff Dylan will get sacked a bunch, throw a boatload of INT's, Spurrier will throw his papers & visor & put Mitch in. That's how I see it.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:54 PM   #128
YouCanNeverTell
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
YouCanNeverTell rules the CockPitYouCanNeverTell rules the CockPitYouCanNeverTell rules the CockPitYouCanNeverTell rules the CockPitYouCanNeverTell rules the CockPitYouCanNeverTell rules the CockPitYouCanNeverTell rules the CockPitYouCanNeverTell rules the CockPitYouCanNeverTell rules the CockPitYouCanNeverTell rules the CockPitYouCanNeverTell rules the CockPit

Dylan is going to be fine this year. He is mobile enough to escape pressure and throw the ball away. I don't see him throwing many INTs. Being a 5th year guy and knowing the offense as well as he "should", I really think he is going to put up huge numbers. He'll have to for us to win games if the young DB don't come out blazing.
YouCanNeverTell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:27 AM   #129
TonyVercetti
Recruit

Male

TonyVercetti has feathers coming inTonyVercetti has feathers coming inTonyVercetti has feathers coming in

Quote:
The second half up at Neyland was as good as it gets on offense after he put Blake in after benching him to start the game. Problem is there were to many times it didn't click. Defenses are getting faster & faster & there just isn't time to stand back there very long.

If we go totally away from the short stuff Dylan will get sacked a bunch, throw a boatload of INT's, Spurrier will throw his papers & visor & put Mitch in. That's how I see it.
Even if spurrier runs his old Cock n fire he wont get rid of the short stuff. Or runs. Itll be a great blend.

And yeah Blake was somethin else for a stretch the second half of the 07 season. To this day the best quarterback play ive ever seen here.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:55 AM   #130
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I have guarded optimism with Dylan. I worry that a lot of our fanbase is getting the cart before the horse right now without looking at his entire body of work. He is just as much of a question mark as other units on the team.

He worked with a QB guru last Summer too and depending on who you talk to, George Whitfield might've messed him up.

I don't think he is going to suck this year. I do however think that some things are going to have to work in favor of him to have the kind of success that is expected. Starting with the offensive line. These guys have got to keep his jersey clean and allow him to get the ball out. Like I said before, this offense is going to face some different looks now that the threat of a QB scampering for 20+ yards is gone. If we get into a bunch of 3rd and longs, its pin the ears back and go get him. Also the threat of the zone read could be gone if Dylan can't make teams pay for selling out on Davis. Its time for the offensive line to get off this finesse shit and start mauling people on 1st down so we can get into some 2nd and 5, 3rd & short situations. That allows for play-action to happen.

Dylan also plays off emotion. When good things are happening to him, he can really get the offense humming. But when he faces some adversity, I think things start to get shaky for him. You have to acknowledge his career 50% completion percentages. That screams of inconsistency.

He has also only played in 2 hostile SEC environments so far, Florida (blowout) / Mizzou (ineffectiveness). For a team looking for a championship, you'd like to have a guy that has done it before. So I think that is going to be a question mark too. Also look at the defenses he has played significant time against .. Missouri, Clemson, Michigan, East Carolina, UAB .. Not exactly world beaters like Florida and possibly a Georgia could be this year. I'm really curious how he is going to hold up being the guy that is being game planned for every week. IMO, the Georgia game is going to be his measuring stick.

I have no doubt of his knowledge of the playbook and his ability to make all of throws. I think he can be wonderful just like Coach Spurrier does but I need to see a few games to believe it first.
Agree on most points but (ineffectiveness)mizzou would not be one, he was a 52% passer as a soph, 58.4% last year and I think we know what we get with DT including some inconsistent play that comes with slinging the ball around against really good defenses but if the RB's hold on to the ball and run well, the WR's catch the ball to include the easy and sometimes difficult, the OL blocks well and the defense bucks up when needed he can lead them to new heights...He has proved when his back is against the wall and his number is called the pressure nor spotlight change him, he has excelled under great pressure when many doubted him before. The progression of Thompson and Mitch will be interesting to watch this fall
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:59 AM   #131
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

I think we will run a ton of hurry up offense with DT this year, Cooper at WR gives them the ability to catch a team in the wrong defense and run the Wild Cock...
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:10 AM   #132
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

I expect Dylan to check down far more than he ever has before. I think this is a recipe for success. We can stay ahead of the chains and his completion percentage will be greatly improved and he can then take his shots down the field when we are not in 2nd/3rd and long.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:43 AM   #133
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

What I want to happen is to have a balanced offense that is similar to what Oklahoma does.

What history has shown us to date when Dylan is in at QB is heavy pass. A lot of intermediate routes. 2nd half of UCF being an anomaly.

There has been nothing shown that leads me to believe that Spurrier is going to keep the same mixture of run/pass that he did with Shaw.

Again, I think it's false hope to expect that.. Just like saying this is the year where out tight ends are used heavily.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 06-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #134
TonyVercetti
Recruit

Male

Quote:
What I want to happen is to have a balanced offense that is similar to what Oklahoma does.

What history has shown us to date when Dylan is in at QB is heavy pass. A lot of intermediate routes. 2nd half of UCF being an anomaly.

There has been nothing shown that leads me to believe that Spurrier is going to keep the same mixture of run/pass that he did with Shaw.

Again, I think it's false hope to expect that.. Just like saying this is the year where out tight ends are used heavily.
What i dont understand is why anyone would want to see the same offense we ran with Shaw. I understand wevplayed to his strengths. But if we have a QB who can stretch the field why wpuld anyone not want to? Idk
Old 06-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #135
drumboy
Walk On

Male

drumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spurs

Quote:
What i dont understand is why anyone would want to see the same offense we ran with Shaw. I understand wevplayed to his strengths. But if we have a QB who can stretch the field why wpuld anyone not want to? Idk
^^^^^^
This a hundred times.

Also, those thinking he'd throw Mitch in are getting ahead of themselves. Mitch is a pro-style QB, just like Thompson. If Spurrier was looking for another Shaw (dual-threat), Brendan Nosovitch would be the backup.
drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #136
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
So you think we didn't stretch the field with Connor Shaw?
I know this much...I do not want us to revert back to an offense that kept us in the middle of the SEC-E. The zone plays and blocking have been game changers for our offense...it ain't broke.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #137
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

I don't think there is much wrong with trying to do what Petrino did at Arkansas. I'd argue that talent wise, the offensive line we have right now is better than any of the ones Petrino had in Fayetteville. I also think that Dylan Thompson has the ability to be every bit as good as Tyler Wilson was. In fact I think our entire offensive personnel might be better than what he had at Arkansas .. Wide Receiver may be a push.

I think the one big difference between what Petrino did and what Spurrier wants to do is that Spurrier's run game is finesse, Petrino's was power.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 06-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #138
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:

The problem is some people's assumption that the fun and gun was a pass happy offense. Spurrier has always been balanced. His best teams at UF had about a 50% split, and he featured some really good running backs who gobbled a lot of rushing yardage. His preference is for a strong running attack with play action passes for big yardage over the top. I think that is pretty much obvious.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #139
CockySkew
Walk On

Male

CockySkew has hatched from the shell

90% of Statistics are made up on the fly, 70% of the time...
With the O-Line being one of the best in the Nation, Dylan should be just fine. He should have enough time & protection (78% of the time) to go through his progression and find what I hope to be a Receiving core that's 55% better than they were last year. Plus, Mike Davis is 100% BEAST. GO COCKS!

AEK∆B

CockySkew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:43 AM   #140
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
The problem is some people's assumption that the fun and gun was a pass happy offense. Spurrier has always been balanced. His best teams at UF had about a 50% split, and he featured some really good running backs who gobbled a lot of rushing yardage. His preference is for a strong running attack with play action passes for big yardage over the top. I think that is pretty much obvious.
60/40 pass.

What could be argued his best years at Florida:

In 2001:

Grossman - 395 pass attempts

Graham/Gillespie/Cothron - 255 rush attempts combined

In 1995:

Wuerffel/Kresser - 437 pass attempts combined

Jackson/Williams/Taylor - 284 rush attempts combined

I rummaged through the other years at Florida and the ratio came out about the same.

Whats interesting though is at Florida, most years he had 2 backs with about equal number of carries.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem